LTH Home

The Local Beet Farmer's Market Finder

The Local Beet Farmer's Market Finder
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • The Local Beet Farmer's Market Finder

Post #1 - May 7th, 2009, 7:24 am
    Post #1 - May 7th, 2009, 7:24 am Post #1 - May 7th, 2009, 7:24 am
    At The Local Beet, we've just launched a new farmer's market locator tool that I think many LTHers will find useful. The unique feature in our tool is that markets that appear on the map are color-coded based on how soon they are open (to your selected date). So, if you know that you have a meeting in Libertyville a week from Tuesday and you'll have some time to kill in the area, you can enter the zip code and date and see exactly what markets will be open near that location at that time.

You can check it out by entering a zip code in the top right corner of our home page: http://www.thelocalbeet.com

Also, we've put together a lot of data from a number of sources, including consulting from Robin Schirmer, a local farmer's market coordinator. We believe that, while it's still growing, we have the largest and most accurate set of market data available in the area. Currently, it contains IL markets only (and a few are still being tweaked) but we plan on adding southern Wisconsin and NW Indiana in the coming weeks.

A special nod goes to LTHForum Sysadmin germuska for bringing his technical skills to this project.

I hope you find it useful and I'd love to hear any comments or questions. Like everything else on the Internet, it's a work in progress. I'm making frequent little changes and tweaks to it to make it more usable.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #2 - May 7th, 2009, 7:49 am
    Post #2 - May 7th, 2009, 7:49 am Post #2 - May 7th, 2009, 7:49 am
    Michael,

This is a great tool. I just checked it out and discovered that there is a market near me that until now I didn't even know existed. Keep up the good work!
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #3 - May 7th, 2009, 8:48 am
    Post #3 - May 7th, 2009, 8:48 am Post #3 - May 7th, 2009, 8:48 am
    That is way cool! Found a few that I didn't know existed, and the hours/schedules are very handy to have.

Thanks for sharing this!
  • Post #4 - May 7th, 2009, 6:11 pm
    Post #4 - May 7th, 2009, 6:11 pm Post #4 - May 7th, 2009, 6:11 pm
    Yeah, I had a 'wow' moment when I saw this. Just a stellar resource.

I already have LTH to map restaurants when I'm running an errand somewhere, but now my to-do list comes with a side of produce!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more