LTH Home

How to post pictures on LTH Forum

How to post pictures on LTH Forum
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • How to post pictures on LTH Forum

Post #1 - November 8th, 2010, 11:27 am
    Post #1 - November 8th, 2010, 11:27 am Post #1 - November 8th, 2010, 11:27 am
    I don't see any infor on this. I mean photos you have take yourself. Pls advise.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #2 - November 8th, 2010, 12:41 pm
    Post #2 - November 8th, 2010, 12:41 pm Post #2 - November 8th, 2010, 12:41 pm
    Hi Toria,

Instructions for posting your photos can be found on the How To Crib Sheet thread.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #3 - November 9th, 2010, 12:17 am
    Post #3 - November 9th, 2010, 12:17 am Post #3 - November 9th, 2010, 12:17 am
    thanks
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #4 - November 10th, 2010, 10:37 am
    Post #4 - November 10th, 2010, 10:37 am Post #4 - November 10th, 2010, 10:37 am
    Have not been able to figure out how to do this. Seems quite complicated for someone who usually just cuts and pastes and drops pictures into messages.

Image shack seemed to reject every user name I entered. The image I was trying to paste was taken with an I phone and sent to me via email and a silverlight message popped up when I tried to manipulate it to save it on my computer.

I'm not advanced computer literate but not a total unknowing either. I'll keep trying. Supposedly I have silverlight on my computer but I don't really know what it is. The picture seems to be there on my computer but it when clicked it goes back to the original message I tried to save it from.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #5 - September 12th, 2011, 11:09 pm
    Post #5 - September 12th, 2011, 11:09 pm Post #5 - September 12th, 2011, 11:09 pm
    Two new(er), or at least possibly new to many LTH users, incredibly easy tools for posting photos.

Snag.gy
    http://snag.gy/

Copy any image in a directory on your camera or computer to your clipboard (right click and copy, or highlight and ctrl + C), and then paste (ctrl + V) into Snaggy. You will immediately be provided with an image URL which can be pasted right into your LTH post - frame it with the img tag (highlight URL in your post after pasting, then click "img" at top).* No account required. but bookmark your page or you'll lose track of it (there may be other ways to get back to it, haven't played with it much yet). For the moment, I think the site is trustable for longterm hosting, but post with caution (as with any hosting site), and check your posts periodically.

If it's already an appropriate size (600ish pixels, 100k-ish in size or less), no further modification is required. If it is a giant file or pixel size, you can use the crop tool in Snaggy to resize it (somewhat), or a third party tool to reduce size before pasting into Snaggy. I really like IrfanView, freeware (to which I've donated), very low system resources and easy to learn.

Note that you can also use Snaggy to caption pictures. Not that you should, but you can also duplicate / rehost any existing picture from the web easily. Or, use Print Screen (prt sc key, upper right area of most keyboards) and then ctrl + V to post what's on your screen and crop it to the relevant portion.

*you may have to add an "i." in front of the Snag.gy URL to get the photo to display in all browsers, not sure why the currently generated URL isn't working tonight (it has in the past for me).

Imgur
    http://imgur.com/

A ridiculously fast-loading and easy to use tool. No account required, same drill on bookmarking your picture page to find it again. Select an image from your computer and web and upload. A few other (small) sizes are also generated, and very basic in-browser editing is offered. Message board code is generated for you on the left. Paste right into your post and you're set.

Again, YMMV, but for the moment both are stable and simple to use in case other procedures (like Flickr) cause you to not post at all. I am sure other photographers have other 2011 recs as well. Enjoy!
  • Post #6 - January 13th, 2017, 10:20 am
    Post #6 - January 13th, 2017, 10:20 am Post #6 - January 13th, 2017, 10:20 am
    I posted an image and it looks different in Firefox and Chrome. When I preview it, the size looks fine (on both Firefox and Chrome) but when I post it, it's huge in Firefox and fine in Chrome. Does the IMG tag let you change the size displayed (I tried putting height and width dimensions like you would in old-school html but it gave me an error)?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10832&start=30
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #7 - January 13th, 2017, 11:07 am
    Post #7 - January 13th, 2017, 11:07 am Post #7 - January 13th, 2017, 11:07 am
    leek wrote:I posted an image and it looks different in Firefox and Chrome. When I preview it, the size looks fine (on both Firefox and Chrome) but when I post it, it's huge in Firefox and fine in Chrome. Does the IMG tag let you change the size displayed (I tried putting height and width dimensions like you would in old-school html but it gave me an error)?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10832&start=30

I theory, it's supposed to resize but it can be glitchy, especiallyh from browser to browser. We'll look into this again but it's been very tough to solve. In the meantime, it's probably best to resize images before you upload them.

Thanks,

=R=
    for LTH
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #8 - January 13th, 2017, 11:36 am
    Post #8 - January 13th, 2017, 11:36 am Post #8 - January 13th, 2017, 11:36 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote: In the meantime, it's probably best to resize images before you upload them.

Thanks,

=R=
    for LTH

Unfortunately, it's not always the easiest thing to do when shooting and posting from a phone.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #9 - January 13th, 2017, 11:59 am
    Post #9 - January 13th, 2017, 11:59 am Post #9 - January 13th, 2017, 11:59 am
    So we can upload images now? I thought they had to be hosted elsewhere. I will try that again...
    Leek

American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #10 - January 13th, 2017, 12:06 pm
    Post #10 - January 13th, 2017, 12:06 pm Post #10 - January 13th, 2017, 12:06 pm
    stevez wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote: In the meantime, it's probably best to resize images before you upload them.

Thanks,

=R=
    for LTH

Unfortunately, it's not always the easiest thing to do when shooting and posting from a phone.

Sure but we're really talking about 2 separate issues. Posting images from one's phone directly as attachments can result in orientation issues but not size issues.

Leek is describing an issue with images that are uploaded elsewhere and linked here at the site. In such cases, one wouldn't likely be posting from their phone.

Both instances are frustrating but at least the remotely posted and linked images are orientated correctly. Its only their size that seems to be an issue.

=R=
  • Post #11 - February 20th, 2017, 11:41 am
    Post #11 - February 20th, 2017, 11:41 am Post #11 - February 20th, 2017, 11:41 am
    The photo that I posted about Toast here: viewtopic.php?p=517411#p517411 was posted from my desktop but taken by my phone. In preview and desktop software it was oriented correctly. When posted it turned sideways.
    Leek

• Post #12 - February 28th, 2017, 11:14 pm
    Post #12 - February 28th, 2017, 11:14 pm Post #12 - February 28th, 2017, 11:14 pm
    leek wrote:The photo that I posted about Toast here: viewtopic.php?p=517411#p517411 was posted from my desktop but taken by my phone. In preview and desktop software it was oriented correctly. When posted it turned sideways.

This is because the image was posted inline, as an attachment, which is one of the areas where we're having the problems; irrespective of whether they're posted from a desktop or a mobile device. Unfortunately, we're still yet to find a fix for this but we haven't given up.

I know this isn't practical for everyone but linking to pictures stored on an outside server results in images that display correctly in posts here.

=R=
    for LTH
  • Post #13 - April 6th, 2017, 9:48 am
    Post #13 - April 6th, 2017, 9:48 am Post #13 - April 6th, 2017, 9:48 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I know this isn't practical for everyone but linking to pictures stored on an outside server results in images that display correctly in posts here.

At least sometimes. Back in early February, two out of the three times I posted outside-hosted photos from my usual home computer, I had problems. Once, I tried to post two photos side-by-side as I've done many times before. It looked fine in preview, but the photos showed up over/under after submission. After much fiddling around, my "solution" was to delete one. The next time, I couldn't get a photo to appear within a quote. I "solved" that problem by moving the photo's URL outside the quotation. Obviously, neither work-around is ideal, but it was the best I could do. While I don't enjoy wasting 15 or 20 minutes trying to troubleshoot something that always used to work perfectly, I continue to post (though less and less frequently and with fewer photos). I wonder how many others simply give up in frustration, never to be heard from again. Ignoring the site's technical problems will not make them go away, but it is certainly having that effect on some users of this forum. It should go without saying that I appreciate the efforts of everyone involved and also realize that solving certain issues is not trivial.
  • Post #14 - April 6th, 2017, 10:09 am
    Post #14 - April 6th, 2017, 10:09 am Post #14 - April 6th, 2017, 10:09 am
    Well I ended up deleting my posts with pics from the dessert exchange. I could see them, another friend could see them, but many said they could not.

Most of the time I get an invalid message if I attempt to post directly from my phone. I sent all those pics to google photos and then added them to LTH. In preview and submission all was well on my iphone and my pc in chrome.

I just don't have the ability to keep fiddling with it.--LLAP
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #15 - April 6th, 2017, 12:34 pm
    Post #15 - April 6th, 2017, 12:34 pm Post #15 - April 6th, 2017, 12:34 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I know this isn't practical for everyone but linking to pictures stored on an outside server results in images that display correctly in posts here.

=R=
    for LTH

I always post pictures from Flickr, and I notice that somehow some (but not all) of my pictures have been resized. I'm not sure if something in the settings of LTH caused this to change, and it appears to be sporadic. But I thought it would be worth mentioning in case it's a quick fix . . . I don't plan to repost the pictures.
  • Post #16 - April 7th, 2017, 1:19 pm
    Post #16 - April 7th, 2017, 1:19 pm Post #16 - April 7th, 2017, 1:19 pm
    I cannot express to you all how much it tears me apart personally that these issues, which I take incredibly seriously, remain unresolved. The solutions have been elusive and we have just not been able to find them. All I can do is ask for your continued patience. I assure you that getting these (and other) techincal issues fixed is tremendously important to me and that my goal is resolve them all.

Thanks,

=R=
    for LTH
  • Post #17 - September 26th, 2017, 4:09 pm
    Post #17 - September 26th, 2017, 4:09 pm Post #17 - September 26th, 2017, 4:09 pm
    For what it's worth, I've been trying to post pictures of one of the best meals we've ever had and I will only say that I am now officially tired of this and fed up. I've worked with Flickr since forever on lth and now, not only are the pictures to everything I seem to have ever posted gone, but I cannot get this damn software to accept any size pics from Flickr. Are they the best pics in the world? No. But they're reasonably good. And I have better ways to spend my spare hours than farting around with software that used to work just fine and now doesn't work, period. I note that the last post was made in April; it seems that regardless how much time has been invested since then (and I have no doubt that Ron and company take this seriously), it just isn't fixed. Still. Why not just undo what was done and at least go back to where things used to at least show up?
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #18 - September 26th, 2017, 4:39 pm
    Post #18 - September 26th, 2017, 4:39 pm Post #18 - September 26th, 2017, 4:39 pm
    Gypsy Boy wrote:For what it's worth, I've been trying to post pictures of one of the best meals we've ever had and I will only say that I am now officially tired of this and fed up. I've worked with Flickr since forever on lth and now, not only are the pictures to everything I seem to have ever posted gone, but I cannot get this damn software to accept any size pics from Flickr. Are they the best pics in the world? No. But they're reasonably good. And I have better ways to spend my spare hours than farting around with software that used to work just fine and now doesn't work, period. I note that the last post was made in April; it seems that regardless how much time has been invested since then (and I have no doubt that Ron and company take this seriously), it just isn't fixed. Still. Why not just undo what was done and at least go back to where things used to at least show up?

Dave,

I'm really sorry about the problems you are having. That error message will come up for any error in the image URL you're posting, regardless of whether or not the size is correct or not. And if the URL in even 1 image is incorrect, none of the images in that post will display correctly here.

Please send me the image URL's (email or PM) and I'll see what I can do to help resolve this asap.

Thanks,

=R=
    for LTH
  • Post #19 - September 26th, 2017, 5:06 pm
    Post #19 - September 26th, 2017, 5:06 pm Post #19 - September 26th, 2017, 5:06 pm
    Ron,
    Thanks. I'm sorry for the tone but you don't need me to say how frustrating it is. I found that some pics actually did post in "Preview" but others, with the identical sizing code, would not. No error messages just blank white space.

If there is anything at all I can do to help facilitate this, please ask. I will do whatever I possibly can to help.
    Gypsy Boy

• Post #20 - September 26th, 2017, 7:05 pm
    Post #20 - September 26th, 2017, 7:05 pm Post #20 - September 26th, 2017, 7:05 pm
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Ron,
    Thanks. I'm sorry for the tone but you don't need me to say how frustrating it is. I found that some pics actually did post in "Preview" but others, with the identical sizing code, would not. No error messages just blank white space.

If there is anything at all I can do to help facilitate this, please ask. I will do whatever I possibly can to help.

Very strange, Dave. All your images are all viewable. I copied your draft post into a test post, exactly as you sent it to me, and from both Firefox and Chrome I can see them all. I can also see all the images in the Smyth post that you made. Are you still not seeing these images from your machine?

=R=
  • Post #21 - September 27th, 2017, 3:56 am
    Post #21 - September 27th, 2017, 3:56 am Post #21 - September 27th, 2017, 3:56 am
    Nope. I cannot see them in Firefox at all, but they are all visible in IE. Haven't tried Chrome yet. It may be settings on my machine or other tweaks, so I will check things out in the next few days and see whether I can get them to appear. If so, I will report back here asap. Thanks for all your work. Very thoughtful and much appreciated.
    Gypsy Boy

• Post #22 - June 27th, 2018, 5:28 pm
    Post #22 - June 27th, 2018, 5:28 pm Post #22 - June 27th, 2018, 5:28 pm
    A couple notes about using Flickr -- Their current "Share" button provides a BBCode block of text, I usually choose the 640px size for pasting here, then trim off the caption and user links.

If you're using their app on Android, there's no way to get the BBCode text, but...
    1) Browse in the Flickr app to the picture you want to use
    2) Hit the share button and then Copy URL
    3) Go to your browser (e.g. Chrome) and paste the URL
    4) Tell your browser to use the Desktop version (*sigh*)
    5) The Share button on the web page has the BBCode which can be pasted into LTH messages.

So I can finally post pics here from my phone without having to open my laptop (but I still do if I intend on typing more than a couple lines)
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #23 - August 20th, 2018, 11:22 am
    Post #23 - August 20th, 2018, 11:22 am Post #23 - August 20th, 2018, 11:22 am
    In my online history, I was instructed to not place images on the same server as the forum. Because, as some of these images were NSFW, a server admin might be disconsolate of what was being shared, and instead of just deleting the images, would take the entire forum offline. :x
    I have a roster of outside imagehosts I use to refer into LTHF. They're on my adult bookmark pages. I especially recommend the ones which are not hosted in the U.S.A.
    {I can imagine, and I bet this is very close to accurate if it is not, a hothead chef [Are they all? :wink:] gets livid that somebody posted an image of a secret off-menu item and determines to get that picture off the internet, even going so far as filing a DMCA complaint with the imagehost.}
    Ones I have used lately are The output screen for your image(s) will show multiple options for referrals. The one I encourage you to utilize is the one for BBCode that displays a [under 200×200] thumbnail (uses less bandwidth), but which will display its full dimension and size if clicked on.
    I do recommend having a text file with the names and URLs of images you refer into a forum. Because if the images do go offline, you'll know what they were and where you shared them. :)
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #24 - December 4th, 2018, 9:59 am
    Post #24 - December 4th, 2018, 9:59 am Post #24 - December 4th, 2018, 9:59 am
    Has anyone used Google Photos as a source for images on LTH? I'm having a lot of problems. If I use the Share link, LTH says it can't determine the size. If I copy the link from the image itself, it seems to work, but I'll come back hours later and the image is broken.

I'd hate to move the photos somewhere else -- Google Photos is automatically backing up my phone's pics, and with Flickr requiring a fee if you have >1000 pix, it's no longer viable.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #25 - December 4th, 2018, 1:53 pm
    Post #25 - December 4th, 2018, 1:53 pm Post #25 - December 4th, 2018, 1:53 pm
    OK, I think I have the process down for Google Photos, assuming the ones I just posted are still visible in the morning.
    1) To be embeddable on other sites, pictures must be shared for public viewing. I did that by creating an album for each city I was in, and setting them as public.
    2) Select a photo -- it'll pop up with a black background. Right-click and copy the image address.
    3) Paste the image address between image tags
    Code: Select all
    [img]paste here[/img]

4) The image address will likely end with the width and height codes:
    Code: Select all
    =wXXXXhYYYY-no

If the XXXX is greater than 1200, LTHForum's software will reject it as too wide. If you delete the hYYYY and enter a new width, Google will kindly scale it for you.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #26 - December 4th, 2018, 5:07 pm
    Post #26 - December 4th, 2018, 5:07 pm Post #26 - December 4th, 2018, 5:07 pm
    Thanks, Joel. That's really helpful.

=R=
  • Post #27 - June 8th, 2020, 10:03 am
    Post #27 - June 8th, 2020, 10:03 am Post #27 - June 8th, 2020, 10:03 am
    Hi,

I have had pictures which changed orientation when being downloaded from an iPhone to my PC.

I click on the image opening a generic dialogue box with the image. I use a tool to reorient and save.

Later when I upload to LTH, the image stays exactly as I left it last.

There is no rhyme or reason when and why these images shift when being downloaded, but it happens enough I look out for it.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #28 - June 8th, 2020, 6:52 pm
    Post #28 - June 8th, 2020, 6:52 pm Post #28 - June 8th, 2020, 6:52 pm
    I was regularly having the problem when I posted from my phone and uploaded from my phone. Now, I never have the problem. I email the photo to myself and save to the PC. I post from the PC and the picture never turns on me anymore.
  • Post #29 - February 9th, 2021, 10:19 am
    Post #29 - February 9th, 2021, 10:19 am Post #29 - February 9th, 2021, 10:19 am
    Can someone please tell me the current thinking on posting pictures? I noticed some recent ones are uploaded to the lthforum site itself while others are hosted on poster's own websites. If uploading to lthforum is the best way to go, are there instructions for doing so? If not, is Imgur a good method? Or Google Photos?
  • Post #30 - February 9th, 2021, 10:32 am
    Post #30 - February 9th, 2021, 10:32 am Post #30 - February 9th, 2021, 10:32 am
    tjr wrote:Can someone please tell me the current thinking on posting pictures? I noticed some recent ones are uploaded to the lthforum site itself while others are hosted on poster's own websites. If uploading to lthforum is the best way to go, are there instructions for doing so? If not, is Imgur a good method? Or Google Photos?

For the time being, you'll have to upload your images to an outside server and link them to display here. Internal/inline image uploads are not working and while that feature is under repair, we have no ETA on when the fix will be completed. I believe that just about any service will work for this, including flickr, imgur, google and dropbox, etc. In general, in order for images to display correctly here, the files must end with a .jpg extension and they must be no wider than 800 pixels.

Alternatively, if you email me pictures, I will be happy to upload them and return links to you that you can embed in your posts. You can PM me for my email address.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the Moderators

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide