LTH Home

Recovering what you were typing...

Recovering what you were typing...
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Recovering what you were typing...

Post #1 - April 12th, 2012, 5:14 pm
    Post #1 - April 12th, 2012, 5:14 pm Post #1 - April 12th, 2012, 5:14 pm
    I swear I remember (and making use of) reading on here about a member who was making a long post on LTH and then his/her internet crashed and when reloaded, everything written was gone. After reading a few suggestions for programs that can keep tabs on everything you were typing up til the crash. So I downloaded a free one of them and it worked well as I have problems sometimes with my mozilla crashing.

When it did, if I was typing something that wasn't saved automatically by the minute (ala gmail, blogger etc...) and I wanted to recover all of it, all you had to do was go to the bottom right of the internet browsers box once reloaded and click the programs icon and you could retrieve whatever was written before the crash be it in an email or post on an internet site or word document. I think it was called something cetera but cant remember and I've looked around and typed in scenarios on google and got nothing like it. I downloaded an updated version of firefox recently and this program seems to have gone bye bye with the old version I was using.

So given a scenario say Im typing a long post on LTH and my internet crashes, then when reloaded all that comes back is the section you were posting in with an empty blank white screen behind it. What's the program to use so if this happens you can recover everything you had typed out until right before the crash? Luckily for me this hasn't happened nor do I want it to, so I'm remembering to ask now before it does.

Thanks.
  • Post #2 - April 12th, 2012, 5:29 pm
    Post #2 - April 12th, 2012, 5:29 pm Post #2 - April 12th, 2012, 5:29 pm
    Beef,

I feel your pain. I've been burned exactly that way on more than one occasion. I finally saw the light and switched over to using Word to compose any long posts I want to make. That makes things easier to edit and to save. If someone knows of a program like the one you are looking for, I'd like to know about it, too. That would be a handy tool to have.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #3 - April 13th, 2012, 1:20 am
    Post #3 - April 13th, 2012, 1:20 am Post #3 - April 13th, 2012, 1:20 am
    In this post, Darren72 recommends an add-on for Firefox that might be of use.

Hope that helps,

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #4 - April 13th, 2012, 7:13 am
    Post #4 - April 13th, 2012, 7:13 am Post #4 - April 13th, 2012, 7:13 am
    Hey guys thanks for the replys. I actually found the add on (still on my comp) I was using shortly thereafter I posted looking for it. I also found that Lazarus program recommended in Ronnies link above which looks legit.

For those interested I use Textarea Web Cache and for whatever reason the little icon in the bottom right of the internet box is gone but when I click 'add-on's' under 'tools' it's still there and still automatically saving all content typed into a text input field. Great for a site like LTH if you have problems with your internet crashing now and then, all you do is open the Textarea add on and copy and paste what you were writing. Good Stuff.

Thanks.
  • Post #5 - April 13th, 2012, 9:27 am
    Post #5 - April 13th, 2012, 9:27 am Post #5 - April 13th, 2012, 9:27 am
    I have a very low tech solution. If I type a long post, I just highlight the whole thing and hit "copy" before hitting submit. That way, if the site bombs out, I just have to hit "paste" when faced with an empty white box.
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #6 - April 14th, 2012, 10:57 am
    Post #6 - April 14th, 2012, 10:57 am Post #6 - April 14th, 2012, 10:57 am
    I've used Lazarus for years as a browser add-on & it really is a terrific little app.
  • Post #7 - April 14th, 2012, 12:08 pm
    Post #7 - April 14th, 2012, 12:08 pm Post #7 - April 14th, 2012, 12:08 pm
    jesteinf wrote:I have a very low tech solution. If I type a long post, I just highlight the whole thing and hit "copy" before hitting submit. That way, if the site bombs out, I just have to hit "paste" when faced with an empty white box.

This is what Lazarus does automatically. It's a nice tool to have so you don't have to think about saving/copying things.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more