LTH Home

Guide to tiki bars of the world

Guide to tiki bars of the world
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Guide to tiki bars of the world

Post #1 - December 21st, 2005, 7:31 am
    Post #1 - December 21st, 2005, 7:31 am Post #1 - December 21st, 2005, 7:31 am
    For those mourning the closing of Trader Vic's, you'll find other ways to get your tiki fix at this site reviewing tiki bars all over the world Great photos. For a local sample, here's the scoop on the Chef Shangri-La restaurant in North Riverside
  • Post #2 - December 21st, 2005, 9:40 am
    Post #2 - December 21st, 2005, 9:40 am Post #2 - December 21st, 2005, 9:40 am
    Wow, I had no idea that we live so close to the #5 tiki bar in the country, Hala-Kahiki in River Grove. Next time I have to pick up a package in Franklin Park (stupid UPS!) I'll be sure to stop on in.
    When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!
  • Post #3 - December 21st, 2005, 5:17 pm
    Post #3 - December 21st, 2005, 5:17 pm Post #3 - December 21st, 2005, 5:17 pm
    It's reasonably close to Gene & Jude's, by the way. Make a day of it!
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #4 - January 1st, 2006, 5:37 pm
    Post #4 - January 1st, 2006, 5:37 pm Post #4 - January 1st, 2006, 5:37 pm
    I'm a major fan of Hala Kahiki. It's an extraordinarily well-maintained tiki-space, with reasonably priced drinks, and a remarkably well-stocked gift shop with mu-mus, many Don Ho CDs, and related polynesianna.

No food, unfortunately (only free pretzels on the table), though there are many walking/talking examples of the Czech Paradox.

"Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #5 - January 9th, 2006, 6:35 pm
    Post #5 - January 9th, 2006, 6:35 pm Post #5 - January 9th, 2006, 6:35 pm
    I've driven by Hala buncha times during all hours of the day (coupla times on the way to Tropical Time, etc.) but i always thought, from the dilapidated state of the exterior, this place was closed down... guess not.

so a sample River Road chow crawl would be: Paradise Pup's burger, G&J's dog, Tropical Time's jerk chicken, back to Hala Kahiki for a mai tai?
  • Post #6 - January 9th, 2006, 8:28 pm
    Post #6 - January 9th, 2006, 8:28 pm Post #6 - January 9th, 2006, 8:28 pm
    TonyC wrote:I've driven by Hala buncha times during all hours of the day (coupla times on the way to Tropical Time, etc.) but i always thought, from the dilapidated state of the exterior, this place was closed down... guess not.

so a sample River Road chow crawl would be: Paradise Pup's burger, G&J's dog, Tropical Time's jerk chicken, back to Hala Kahiki for a mai tai?

The inside of Hala Kahiki is in perfect condition -- and actually, I think the "distressed" appearance of the facade is an attempt to evoke a weathered South Pacific watering hole.

If you're in the area, you might consider Johnnie's as well.

Hammond
  • Post #7 - October 16th, 2010, 7:13 pm
    Post #7 - October 16th, 2010, 7:13 pm Post #7 - October 16th, 2010, 7:13 pm
    OK - who's up for a tiki crawl?
  • Post #8 - March 16th, 2015, 12:05 pm
    Post #8 - March 16th, 2015, 12:05 pm Post #8 - March 16th, 2015, 12:05 pm
    A small group of LTH'ers ventured to Hala Kahiki on Saturday night, a tiki bar in River Grove (with very limited bar snacks available). I could not find a dedicated thread to Hala Kahiki. This Tiki thread seemed the most appropriate, although there is chatter about it in other threads:

David Hammond wrote:
    dansch wrote:
    toria wrote:Did you try Hala Kahiki? Its a tiki bar in River Grove.
    Go. It's outrageously over the top. I went about a year ago and sat in the back yard area for a couple of drinks. The inside is... over the top. Almost too much for me to handle (hence sitting outside).
    -Dan

Been a few times. Way worth it. Next location for Oak Park Boy's Night Out?

At 8 pm on a Saturday night, it really had a "date night" vibe. Some things never change :wink: :
    nr706 wrote:Hala Kahiki is where Moetchandon and I first met.

I have not been to Hala Kahiki in many, many years. My first impression was that the place has not changed, still over the top Tiki. But after we sat down, I'd say it is actually much improved: cleaner, slightly brighter, and no more weird musty smell.

As to the drinks, mhl said it best when he said that the drinks here are like drinking dessert. Not sure which ones they were, but we observed some drinks being served in hollowed out pineapples. I ordered the virgin Prince Liholiho, which was a frothy, super cold chocolate and black cherry drink. It tasted like a thin chocolate cherry milkshake with lots of crushed ice mixed in. Since I was kind of in the mood for a milkshake, it was exactly what I wanted and expected. For those who ordered alcohol, not so much:

toria wrote:Hala Kahiki on the other hand.........the inside is amazing and worth a trip just to see it. The drinks were undrinkable in my opinion. Way too sweet. They screwed up my mohito by putting sweet and sour mix in it. If you go, only order beer, or wine. I'm sure they must have that. Go first to Gene and Judes for some hot dogs and then stop by Hala Kahiki for a drink. Just one drink to see what its like inside.

Ms. Ingie said her Passion fruit-something drink was also too sweet. Another odd thing was that there are no prices listed on the menu. When we asked, the waitress told us the drinks range from $7 and $15 (for a drink for two). After applying a $15 Groupon, the bill for our group of six (without tip) was slightly under $30.

No report on Hala Kahiki is complete without a mention of the gift shop which is accessible from a separate entrance (to the west of the bar entrance). Or you can get to it from the bar by following the serpentine collection of rooms to a doorway at the very back, removing a velvet rope, and crossing a small vestibule into the gift shop. If you are waiting for a table, it is definitely worth a look. The gift shop stocks the kinds of Hawaiian wear that one would find in the Islands at Hilo Hattie's and the kinds of souvenirs sold at drug stores in Hawaii. They were having a clothing sale, so prices on clothing were actually pretty reasonable. The attendant in the store was a bit over-bearing though, so after a quick look around, we figured our table would be ready and headed back to the bar.

So, if your goal is a dessert-ish drink and an old school Tiki experience, by all means go. If your goal is a really good cocktail, you may want to find someplace else.
  • Post #9 - March 25th, 2015, 8:55 pm
    Post #9 - March 25th, 2015, 8:55 pm Post #9 - March 25th, 2015, 8:55 pm
    mrsm wrote:No report on Hala Kahiki is complete without a mention of the gift shop which is accessible from a separate entrance (to the west of the bar entrance). Or you can get to it from the bar by following the serpentine collection of rooms to a doorway at the very back, removing a velvet rope, and crossing a small vestibule into the gift shop. If you are waiting for a table, it is definitely worth a look. The gift shop stocks the kinds of Hawaiian wear that one would find in the Islands at Hilo Hattie's and the kinds of souvenirs sold at drug stores in Hawaii. They were having a clothing sale, so prices on clothing were actually pretty reasonable. The attendant in the store was a bit over-bearing though, so after a quick look around, we figured our table would be ready and headed back to the bar.

So, if your goal is a dessert-ish drink and an old school Tiki experience, by all means go. If your goal is a really good cocktail, you may want to find someplace else.

The kute kitsch gift shop and weak, pretty drinks (minimal snacks) are part of the Hala Kahiki heritage.

Recently in Newcity, my friend Greenfield journaled his long week of tiki barhopping. He covers Hala Kahiki and lots of others. We enjoyed the floor show at Tiki Terrace: http://boozemuse.com/2015/02/19/the-wee ... even-days/

In the same issue, I talk about Lost Lake, not really a review, but a lot about the waitress.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more