LTH Home

Prairie Grass Cafe - Northbrook

Prairie Grass Cafe - Northbrook
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - March 31st, 2010, 11:19 am
    Post #61 - March 31st, 2010, 11:19 am Post #61 - March 31st, 2010, 11:19 am
    OK, in case my opinion is not clear amidst the muddiness in this thread, let me state it: I did not think Prairie Grass should have been awarded a GNR 2 years ago. Unfortunately, I can't be so clear about my opinion on renewal, because I still don't really understand what the renewal criteria are. I think it's pretty much the same place it was when it got the award 2 years ago - no deterioration as far as I can tell. Stripping it of the award would seem strange to me.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #62 - March 31st, 2010, 12:00 pm
    Post #62 - March 31st, 2010, 12:00 pm Post #62 - March 31st, 2010, 12:00 pm
    I ate at Prairie Grass not long after it opened, just after I had relocated to the Chicago area. I thought it was OK. I haven't been back since. I have nothing bad to say about it, but still don't under what makes it great. I will admit that I don't eat out widely so perhaps don't have a good perspective on the place relative to other restaurants.

I'd suspect that part of the issue about this place is that no one feels really negatively about it, so a small number of strong supporters carry the day.
  • Post #63 - March 31st, 2010, 12:18 pm
    Post #63 - March 31st, 2010, 12:18 pm Post #63 - March 31st, 2010, 12:18 pm
    Having re-read through the main thread, I'd like to amend what I stated above. Something has changed in regards to PGC: the nature of posts on LTHForum. Prior to winning the award, PGC had a mixed bag of reviews, with plenty of people saying it was just OK. I was disappointed that the committee awarded the GNR amidst such LTHForum ambivalence. However, in the time since then, the posts are overwhelmingly positive - way more so than they ever were before. And those positive posts come from a wide variety of people who speak with great exuberance, not just the people who've always posted their love. Based on that, I have to say I think PGC should indeed be a GNR. I don’t think it had "captured the imagination" of the board last time, but it appears to have done so now.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #64 - March 31st, 2010, 4:39 pm
    Post #64 - March 31st, 2010, 4:39 pm Post #64 - March 31st, 2010, 4:39 pm
    I have remained silent out of fear of being seen as kowtowing to the LTH Illuminati that have gotten behind PGC. No more... :wink:

I support PGC as a GNR. I've been for both brunch and dinner, and have received outstanding food at both. Some standouts were the house-made sausages, the pies and other desserts, and a particularly memorable ancho-marinated skirt steak that made me reconsider my generally negative stance on that cut of beef. Beyond the food, I have found the service at PGC to be uniformly terrific, and I appreciate the focus on using local and seasonal ingredients.

I don't think that all of this "good for for the 'burbs" talk is necessarily germane to GNR renewal. In my book (even if not in my 'hood), PGC is a great neighborhood restaurant.

--Rich
    I don't know what you think about dinner, but there must be a relation between the breakfast and the happiness. --Cemal Süreyya
  • Post #65 - March 31st, 2010, 10:00 pm
    Post #65 - March 31st, 2010, 10:00 pm Post #65 - March 31st, 2010, 10:00 pm
    I support Prairie Grass Cafe for a GNR renewal. I love the food and always look forward to returning for a meal. My favorites are the hand-made sausages and the skirt steak. Then again, I've enjoyed most of the food I've had there. There is no flash or glam here, just the use of seasonal foods, prepared well.

This is from someone who has actually eaten there and also someone not against going to the "burbs" to eat an excellent meal.
  • Post #66 - September 13th, 2012, 6:28 pm
    Post #66 - September 13th, 2012, 6:28 pm Post #66 - September 13th, 2012, 6:28 pm
    Long time lurker, first time poster here-

Just thought I'd put my support for renewal for Prairie Grass. I have not known its quality to change in any way since 2010, and I still go there regularly and have not yet been disappointed with anything I've ordered. The service is good, the ambiance is great, and perhaps most importantly it seems to serve food for the neighborhood just a cut above, which is everything GNRs should do, in my book.

Count my small voice in support of GNR renewal.
  • Post #67 - September 14th, 2012, 10:29 am
    Post #67 - September 14th, 2012, 10:29 am Post #67 - September 14th, 2012, 10:29 am
    To repeat my opposition voiced in the renomination thread:

. . . I will renominate Prairie Grass for reconsideration, meaning I think it should be dropped. The last meal I had there was decidedly pedestrian, and everything was undersalted - a pattern that developed several years ago. Service was lackluster, too. Perhaps Ms. Stegner's experience with the failure of Prairie Fire took some of the wind out of her sails.
  • Post #68 - September 28th, 2012, 4:26 pm
    Post #68 - September 28th, 2012, 4:26 pm Post #68 - September 28th, 2012, 4:26 pm
    I've had great experiences there this spring. Those lentils are still a winner ( yep, I could eat them daily) and their use of farm eggs keeps me tucking in whenever I'm on that side of the world during the day.

My service experiences have been fine and I think it's still a great place for great food.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more