LTH Home

The Violet Hour

The Violet Hour
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - March 19th, 2010, 12:50 pm
    Post #31 - March 19th, 2010, 12:50 pm Post #31 - March 19th, 2010, 12:50 pm
    Ditto.

I love sitting at the bar early in the evening, watching the bartenders in action, asking questions, sampling various drink components, etc. Rich and I try to go once a quarter, so that we can sample each of their seasonal menus.

I wasn't a big cocktail drinker before TVH. TVH made me a believer. However, I find that I still don't order cocktails many places because I'm usually disappointed. There are now other places I also enjoy for cocktails, but I still think TVH is my favorite.

Ronna
  • Post #32 - March 19th, 2010, 10:41 pm
    Post #32 - March 19th, 2010, 10:41 pm Post #32 - March 19th, 2010, 10:41 pm
    The Violet Hour:
    - has made bartenders in other cities say to me, "oh, wow, is that place really as awesome as I've heard it is?"
    - makes cocktails that, in my opinion, far eclipse those served by the bars that inspired it (PDT, Pegu Club, et al).
    - has inspired me to start making "serious" cocktails at home on a regular basis (tonight, Sazeracs, two nights ago, Blue Ridge Manhattans).
    - has, despite its mythical status, managed to maintain a welcoming, chill vibe with an emphasis on sharing knowledge & enthusiasm for finely-crafted cocktails.

I support the call for renewal without hesitation.
  • Post #33 - March 22nd, 2010, 10:34 pm
    Post #33 - March 22nd, 2010, 10:34 pm Post #33 - March 22nd, 2010, 10:34 pm
    What Khaopaat said. Sitting at the bar at TVH with an exemplary cocktail and learning cool stuff from the bartenders is one of my happy places in the city.
  • Post #34 - March 23rd, 2010, 12:00 pm
    Post #34 - March 23rd, 2010, 12:00 pm Post #34 - March 23rd, 2010, 12:00 pm
    This place gave my wife the worst hangover she's ever had. I endorse renewal :twisted: .
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #35 - March 23rd, 2010, 11:01 pm
    Post #35 - March 23rd, 2010, 11:01 pm Post #35 - March 23rd, 2010, 11:01 pm
    Totally distinctive and of the highest quality imaginable. Premium spirts, 7 kinds of ice and nearly every non-alcoholic component made in-house. Drinks here are nothing short of phenomenal and the interactive experience sitting at the bar is fantastic. I highly support renewal.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #36 - March 25th, 2010, 12:06 am
    Post #36 - March 25th, 2010, 12:06 am Post #36 - March 25th, 2010, 12:06 am
    I'm for it; it will only improve when they add Cantonese food to the menu and start slinging half-zombies.

Sewiously, an atmosphere and drink menu I can't get over, even now that it's hard to get in some nights. I offer my respectful re-endorsement.
  • Post #37 - September 10th, 2012, 1:45 pm
    Post #37 - September 10th, 2012, 1:45 pm Post #37 - September 10th, 2012, 1:45 pm
    With "craft cocktail" bars becoming almost as prevalent as Starbucks and empty former Blockbuster locations in most neighborhoods, I haven't gone out to The Violet Hour very frequently over the past year or two. However, four visits over the past couple years have given me the impression that it's still firing on all cylinders.

The staff is still friendly, courteous, and professional, and the bartenders are still as eager to teach & share their love of all things booze as they are to mix drinks. Most importantly, the cocktails are still some of the best in the city (and if a recent, highly cocktail-focused trip to NYC was any indication, the country).

I enthusiastically vote yes for renewal.
  • Post #38 - September 10th, 2012, 2:49 pm
    Post #38 - September 10th, 2012, 2:49 pm Post #38 - September 10th, 2012, 2:49 pm
    I agree with Khaopaat. Still turning out outstanding drinks, still innovating, still giving you that fuzzy time warp feeling when inside and disorientation when leaving. Frankly, was surprised to see it on the reconsideration list, but I suspect it may be because the main thread has not seen heavy traffic in recent times -- but that may be because posting "Went to TVH, had outstanding drinks" gets boring after a while, and because Violet Hour experiences (or at least drinks) end up showing up in a number of other threads in the Something to Drink sub-board in terms of what people have enjoyed recently, are making at home, etc.

The Violet Hour has a lot more competition now than it had in its earlier days, and in that way is somewhat a victim of its own success. In some respects, The Violet Hour is like Bill Walsh -- its "coaching tree" has many branches and sub-branches. Just look at who's behind the bar at many cocktail-focused places in town or who "consulted" on or "launched" a place's "cocktail program," and there is often a direct (as in worked there) or secondary (as in worked/working under someone who worked there) Violet Hour connection. But for my money, The Violet Hour delivers the most in terms of complete package of what I am going for in terms of quality, creativity, service, atmosphere/ambiance, etc.
    Last edited by Matt on September 10th, 2012, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #39 - September 10th, 2012, 2:53 pm
    Post #39 - September 10th, 2012, 2:53 pm Post #39 - September 10th, 2012, 2:53 pm
    I support yes for renewal as well. They've actually improved their handling of larger groups without disrupting the intimacy of what is a couple / quartet designed room; no carafes, generous pours, and creative, fresh ingredients. I've found the charcuterie and garnishes to remain high quality and a reasonable value, though on my most recent visit there were no hard pork sausages (all pates, terrines, wursts, etc.). One of those places I haven't been posting on since they're so consistent on my quarterly visits, and everybody seems to know about them already.
  • Post #40 - September 10th, 2012, 9:34 pm
    Post #40 - September 10th, 2012, 9:34 pm Post #40 - September 10th, 2012, 9:34 pm
    I'll add to the list of those who go but have not posted. While Violet Hour is not the place I stop in whenever the mood strikes, it is still one of my favorite places to enjoy a cocktail. I hate waiting in line so I usually only go when I can manage to arrive when the doors open and I can head straight for a spot at one of the bars. But if the stars align and traffic permits, I believe it is the most comfortable spot in the city to enjoy special drinks and conversation. The hush of the room is truly unique. I am happy to see that I'm not the only supporter. I think Violet Hour is still very worthy of the GNR designation.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #41 - September 12th, 2012, 12:23 pm
    Post #41 - September 12th, 2012, 12:23 pm Post #41 - September 12th, 2012, 12:23 pm
    I rarely go to the Violet Hour anymore. I guess it's just not my kind of cocktail bar. It's tough to get in, you're mostly isolated from the bar tenders, it's hard to order something specific to your tastes. The room is cool and I like taking people visiting from out of town because it's such a unique experience, but I just don't think the drinks are that great. They're much too sweet for my taste and I've failed many times to convince them to make something more spirit forward or bitter. I get that the drinks cater to a broader range of tastes, but since my preference doesn't fall under that heading, I just don't enjoy Violet Hour that much anymore.
  • Post #42 - September 12th, 2012, 1:05 pm
    Post #42 - September 12th, 2012, 1:05 pm Post #42 - September 12th, 2012, 1:05 pm
    turkob wrote:I rarely go to the Violet Hour anymore. I guess it's just not my kind of cocktail bar. It's tough to get in, you're mostly isolated from the bar tenders, it's hard to order something specific to your tastes.

We must go at different times and sit in different parts of the bar. The last few times I've gone, I've strolled right in and been seated somewhere along the giant bar, three feet from the dude making my drink...the only way I could've felt less isolated from the bartender would've been if I'd been seated in his lap, but that would've been awkward for both of us.
  • Post #43 - September 12th, 2012, 1:56 pm
    Post #43 - September 12th, 2012, 1:56 pm Post #43 - September 12th, 2012, 1:56 pm
    Yes, my experience likewise may be influenced by my schedule. To fit in on our "date night" schedule (when we tend to go out on somewhat the early end because, hey, if you are paying someone to watch your kids, they might as well feed them, bathe them, and put them to bed), we are usually there before 7:00 and out by 9:00 (and almost always on Thursdays). I've never been there when there was a wait and have only been unable to sit at the bar once in dozens of visits.
  • Post #44 - September 18th, 2012, 2:24 pm
    Post #44 - September 18th, 2012, 2:24 pm Post #44 - September 18th, 2012, 2:24 pm
    I have never been a huge fan of the Violet Hour. When it comes to the drinks themselves, with the emergence of so many amazing places (at least on my radar), the Violet Hour has certainly lost some of its appeal. I have always found their cocktails to be too cautious and sweet, never exhibiting strong flavors or taking risks. Last time I was there I spiked my cocktail with an extra shot of whiskey and it was much better. On occasion, I may take an out of town guest who would be into something trendy and kitschy, but it's just not my thing.

Though it is fun to emerge from a windowless bar mid day to realize the sun is still up, for me the atmosphere stops about there. Though never bad, per se, the service has never been personal or friendly. Though I agree with the no cell phone rule, I hate the snooty/threatening/half-joking-but-not-really sign hanging up in the bathroom. The bar-tenders typically seem overly trained, the showmanship stiff and forced. It doesn't feel like a neighborhood bar to me.
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #45 - September 19th, 2012, 7:19 pm
    Post #45 - September 19th, 2012, 7:19 pm Post #45 - September 19th, 2012, 7:19 pm
    laikom wrote:I have never been a huge fan of the Violet Hour. When it comes to the drinks themselves, with the emergence of so many amazing places (at least on my radar), the Violet Hour has certainly lost some of its appeal. I have always found their cocktails to be too cautious and sweet, never exhibiting strong flavors or taking risks. Last time I was there I spiked my cocktail with an extra shot of whiskey and it was much better. On occasion, I may take an out of town guest who would be into something trendy and kitschy, but it's just not my thing.

Though it is fun to emerge from a windowless bar mid day to realize the sun is still up, for me the atmosphere stops about there. Though never bad, per se, the service has never been personal or friendly. Though I agree with the no cell phone rule, I hate the snooty/threatening/half-joking-but-not-really sign hanging up in the bathroom. The bar-tenders typically seem overly trained, the showmanship stiff and forced. It doesn't feel like a neighborhood bar to me.

I completely agree. Honestly, the choice usually comes down to should I go to TVH and wait in line for a good 30-60 minutes and then get some drinks for $13 that are quite good but not quite worth the price tag, or go to a bar in Logan Square, wait in no line, and pay almost half as much for drinks of equal or superior quality. The choice for me is quite clear.
  • Post #46 - September 20th, 2012, 7:24 am
    Post #46 - September 20th, 2012, 7:24 am Post #46 - September 20th, 2012, 7:24 am
    fropones wrote:
    I completely agree. Honestly, the choice usually comes down to should I go to TVH and wait in line for a good 30-60 minutes and then get some drinks for $13 that are quite good but not quite worth the price tag, or go to a bar in Logan Square, wait in no line, and pay almost half as much for drinks of equal or superior quality. The choice for me is quite clear.

Where do you get drinks of equal quality for $7?

I really like TVH. I think they are still working on the cutting edge, despite a lot more options in the city. I also find their prices to be about what I'd expect to pay at other bars/restaurants that operate at that level. But since I won't wait in line, I rarely go to TVH anymore.
  • Post #47 - September 20th, 2012, 8:04 am
    Post #47 - September 20th, 2012, 8:04 am Post #47 - September 20th, 2012, 8:04 am
    Darren72 wrote:
    fropones wrote:

Where do you get drinks of equal quality for $7?

Scofflaw, the Whistler
  • Post #48 - September 20th, 2012, 10:08 am
    Post #48 - September 20th, 2012, 10:08 am Post #48 - September 20th, 2012, 10:08 am
    fropones wrote:
    Darren72 wrote:Where do you get drinks of equal quality for $7?

Scofflaw, the Whistler

I love what Scofflaw is doing, but it's not hard to sell drinks for $8 when they're the size of a large espresso.

Even with the rise of several worthy cocktail bars in the past couple of years, TVH still operates a wholly unique and wonderful experience. Fully support renewal.
  • Post #49 - September 20th, 2012, 11:15 pm
    Post #49 - September 20th, 2012, 11:15 pm Post #49 - September 20th, 2012, 11:15 pm

Maybe this is a bit of a departure from the reconsideration conversation... or is it? Maybe violet hour has become a parody of itself.
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #50 - September 21st, 2012, 5:16 am
    Post #50 - September 21st, 2012, 5:16 am Post #50 - September 21st, 2012, 5:16 am
    laikom wrote:

Maybe this is a bit of a departure from the reconsideration conversation... or is it? Maybe violet hour has become a parody of itself.

How does that apply to The Violet Hour, but not to the Whistler, Scofflaw, etc? Does posting this video mean you think the whole artisan cocktail genre has become a parody of itself, to the point where no craft cocktail bar is deserving of GNR status? Should the GNR program be driven by what's trendy, ahead of the curve, passé? Or do you specifically have a beef with TVH that leads you to feel that it doesn't meet the GNR criteria?
  • Post #51 - September 21st, 2012, 7:52 am
    Post #51 - September 21st, 2012, 7:52 am Post #51 - September 21st, 2012, 7:52 am
    It was really just as video I found hilarious and wanted to share, hoped would spark conversation. Of course it doesn't apply any less to whistler or scofflaw. The cocktails are simply better at those two places.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #52 - September 21st, 2012, 11:38 am
    Post #52 - September 21st, 2012, 11:38 am Post #52 - September 21st, 2012, 11:38 am
    laikom wrote:The cocktails are simply better at those two places.

This is where I disagree. Good? Yes. Better? No way.

However, opinions aside, this is a "Great Neighborhood Restaurant" discussion, not a "Best of Its Type in the City Restaurant" discussion. And TVH continues to be extremely deserving of GNR status.
  • Post #53 - September 21st, 2012, 3:41 pm
    Post #53 - September 21st, 2012, 3:41 pm Post #53 - September 21st, 2012, 3:41 pm
    Khaopaat wrote:
    laikom wrote:The cocktails are simply better at those two places.

This is where I disagree. Good? Yes. Better? No way.

However, opinions aside, this is a "Great Neighborhood Restaurant" discussion, not a "Best of Its Type in the City Restaurant" discussion. And TVH continues to be extremely deserving of GNR status.

I absolutely agree with you, the GNRs are not a competition, to me they're a celebration. I think that is obvious to most of us just by looking at the sheer amount of taco places, for example. But to site other places as a point of reference is a valid argument. When people say they no longer visit the establishment due to better options, that should hold some weight. When enough people stop visiting an establishment or posting on it, that is exactly why they go up for reconsideration. I'm glad you like TVH. My wife and sister still like TVH. Please don't take my opinions, posts, joke videos etc. too personally. They are just one person's opinion. I have no agenda.

-Mark Twain

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more