LTH Home

Bar DeVille [premium cocktails]

Bar DeVille [premium cocktails]
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
  • Bar DeVille [premium cocktails]

Post #1 - August 22nd, 2009, 2:02 pm
    Post #1 - August 22nd, 2009, 2:02 pm Post #1 - August 22nd, 2009, 2:02 pm
    Great cocktails are all about touch, precision and balance. Of course, if it weren't for Bar DeVille, I probably wouldn't yet understand this. But because of the passion, expertise and attention to detail paid at Bar DeVille, I've become a huge fan of cocktails over the past year. Before I began prepping at DeVille for my own personal 'bar exam,' I'm not even sure I had a favorite spirit. Now, when someone asks me what my favorite whiskey is, I have to ask them questions about the type of application before I can even answer. Tasting a plethora of meticulously-crafted cocktails at DeVille has helped me to understand that what makes a great Old Fashioned doesn't necessarily make a great Manhattan, and so on. But not only have I learned a ton at DeVille about spirits, how they are successfully combined and what makes a great libation, I've also enjoyed myself immensely at this comfortable corner bar, where the vibe is mellow and pleasant, the mixologists -- Brad, Jason and Eric, among others -- are highly skilled, friendly, enthusiastic and welcoming, and the patrons are almost universally appreciative.

I wish Bar DeVille were in my neighborhood but it's over 25 miles from my house. Still, it's become a favorite stop for me. I make regular trips there and when I have appointments or dinners anywhere near it, I try to build in some extra time to stop in for a drink or 2, either before or after. And as DeVille has helped me cultivate my cocktail passion, it's obsoleted nearly every other bar in Chicagoland for me. I've been spoiled by their premium cocktails. With the bar set so high by DeVille (pun intended), the perfunctory drinks other places turn out are hardly worth the ice over which they're poured. In fact, there are times when I'd rather not drink at all than have something less than a cocktail at Bar DeVille. DeVille's Old Fashioned -- which incorporates no fruit other than wide, cut-to-order strips of lemon and orange zest -- has become my very favorite drink in the city. Old Fashioneds at most other bars are disgusting concoctions that are littered with industrial-grade fruit salad. DeVille is also a place where I can comfortably put myself in the hands of whoever is behind the bar, name a preferred spirit (or not) and know that I'm going to receive an excellent cocktail.

Yes, it's a genuine 'neighborhood bar' and it's also great in the truest sense. The quality of the drinks being crafted at Bar DeVille makes it a bona fide destination. I'd confidently recommend it to anyone who is serious about cocktails, I'd proudly recommend it to an out-of-town visitor who wants to experience the best Chicago has to offer and I'd instinctlvely recommend it to anyone who wants a comfortable place to hang out and have a few drinks. I'm always looking forward to my next trip to Bar DeVille. I drive 25+ miles to get there -- past dozens of other bars -- and it's worth it every single time.

Here are links to a couple of threads, filled with positive comments, about Bar DeVille:

Bar DeVille

LTH Happy Hour - Bar DeVille, Tues, March 10, 6pm

Bar DeVille
    701 N. Damen Ave
    Chicago, IL 60622
    (312) 929-2349

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #2 - August 23rd, 2009, 9:18 am
    Post #2 - August 23rd, 2009, 9:18 am Post #2 - August 23rd, 2009, 9:18 am
    I happily second this nomination. I've had many fine drinks and many good times at Bar de Ville and I too wish it was closer. It's my idea of the perfect neighborhood bar. They do an outstanding job with the classices - I've had perfect daiquiris, martini's, etc. and with their own creations - the Hard Sell for example which manages to put Malort to good use. But what I love most is just asking Brad to make me whatever he feels like. Last time, I got a drink that didn't have a name yet, but that Brad described briefly, IIRC, as an amaro sour with an absinthe wash. I just love everything about this place.
  • Post #3 - August 24th, 2009, 2:00 pm
    Post #3 - August 24th, 2009, 2:00 pm Post #3 - August 24th, 2009, 2:00 pm
    It meets my GNR criteria, both excellent product (drinks in this case) and the requisite special character. Very much of a neighborhood, yet highest quality without any pretense or pretension.

Great place.
    d
    Feeling (south) loopy
  • Post #4 - August 27th, 2009, 5:32 pm
    Post #4 - August 27th, 2009, 5:32 pm Post #4 - August 27th, 2009, 5:32 pm
    I have the distinct pleasure of living nearly equal distance from Bar DeVille and Violet Hour. Not being much of a drinker, I find it difficult to drink avg cocktails with little or no thought put into them. My favorite drink @ the moment is the DeVille, their take on a Pisco Sour.

DeVille's comfortable laid back farm to glass aesthetic gets my vote.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #5 - August 27th, 2009, 5:38 pm
    Post #5 - August 27th, 2009, 5:38 pm Post #5 - August 27th, 2009, 5:38 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:DeVille's comfortable laid back farm to glass aesthetic gets my vote.

Count me a fan of Bar DeVille and the GNR nomination, who am I to argue with "farm to glass aesthetic" Even though I have no freaking idea what it means

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #6 - August 28th, 2009, 7:09 am
    Post #6 - August 28th, 2009, 7:09 am Post #6 - August 28th, 2009, 7:09 am
    I've done well in the past with the glass to mouth aesthetic of Bar DeVille...too well, if you ask me. But it's hard to cut oneself off when the drinks are mixed that well, and the atmosphere is so laidback and friendly (until around 10pm on weekends, when it gets packed with area hipsters...nobody's perfect, I suppose).

For being like a cross between The Violet Hour and your favorite corner tap, I definitely second this nomination.
  • Post #7 - August 28th, 2009, 11:15 am
    Post #7 - August 28th, 2009, 11:15 am Post #7 - August 28th, 2009, 11:15 am
    Cozy neighborhood feel (albeit classier that your average Chicago corner tap) with great cocktails, well-chosen whiskey selection*, unpretentious atmosphere, knowledgeable bar staff. Personally, I can't think of another bar that's as Great and has such a Neighborhood feel. My only complaint is that it's too far away from my apartment - it's a long bicycle ride home after a couple of Old Fashioneds...

This nomination definitely gets my support.

-Dan

* Probably applies to other non-whiskey spirits as well, but I'm not personally knowledgeable enough to know.
  • Post #8 - August 29th, 2009, 7:49 pm
    Post #8 - August 29th, 2009, 7:49 pm Post #8 - August 29th, 2009, 7:49 pm
    I fully back this nomination 110%, was there last night in fact. I've been living off the Moscow Mule's and Dark and Stormy cocktails all summer. I esp. love the fact that they took an old school corner tavern surrounded by residential area-which are fast fading in Chicago-and didn't change much of it, just classed it up a little bit. Great atmosphere, better cocktails. Sometimes the cocktails creep up on me a little too quick like last night but luckily a cab from LP isn't too far.
  • Post #9 - September 3rd, 2009, 12:33 pm
    Post #9 - September 3rd, 2009, 12:33 pm Post #9 - September 3rd, 2009, 12:33 pm
    I fully support this nomination. From the moment I first stepped into Bar DeVille, I knew it was something special. The cocktails are crafted with skill and care. The staff is knowledgeable, friendly and genuinely excited about cocktails. The relaxed casual atmosphere makes Bar DeVille an easy stop on just about any night. I couldn't be happier that this place is just blocks from my home.
  • Post #10 - September 14th, 2009, 2:01 pm
    Post #10 - September 14th, 2009, 2:01 pm Post #10 - September 14th, 2009, 2:01 pm
    Bar DeVille is the other reason why I'm glad I live where I do. Although the cocktails are not constructed with quite the flourish and artistry as at The Violet Hour (a place to which inevitable comparisons will be made), in some ways, there is more gutsy experimentation, as anyone who has tried the Hard Sell can attest. If TVH does for cocktails what top restaurants are doing for goat right now, Bar DeVille is the Birrieria Zaragoza. It focuses keenly on what on what it does well, which is mix up some mean classic cocktails in a corner bar atmosphere for a reasonable price. If you're hungry, just wait for the tamale guy.

I <heart> Bar DeVille & strongly support it as a GNR.
  • Post #11 - September 19th, 2011, 4:21 am
    Post #11 - September 19th, 2011, 4:21 am Post #11 - September 19th, 2011, 4:21 am
    This place is up for renewal of its GNR. Please post your comments here until 10/10/11.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #12 - September 19th, 2011, 8:37 am
    Post #12 - September 19th, 2011, 8:37 am Post #12 - September 19th, 2011, 8:37 am
    My wife and I stopped in to Bar DeVille a couple of weeks ago for a drink after dinner at Arami. Really nice neighborhood vibe, not much cocktail snobbery on display from either the staff or patrons, and still solid drinks.

Bar DeVille doesn't seem to get as much love as some of the newer places, but I still think it's a GNR.
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #13 - September 19th, 2011, 8:54 am
    Post #13 - September 19th, 2011, 8:54 am Post #13 - September 19th, 2011, 8:54 am
    aschie30 wrote: If TVH does for cocktails what top restaurants are doing for goat right now, Bar DeVille is the Birrieria Zaragoza. It focuses keenly on what on what it does well, which is mix up some mean classic cocktails in a corner bar atmosphere for a reasonable price.

What she said.

I'm more of a tavern sort of gal, unlikely to visit the Aviary or The Violet Hour more than once apiece.
    To me, the spirit of the GNR has to do with a comfortable, unpretentious vibe maintained in the presence of excellent food and/or drink. And Brad's a heckuva nice guy-adding the welcome that is a key GNR element. Definite renewal in my book.
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #14 - September 19th, 2011, 2:17 pm
    Post #14 - September 19th, 2011, 2:17 pm Post #14 - September 19th, 2011, 2:17 pm
    Bar DeVille still excels at what made me love this place to begin with - cool, friendly guys making excellent cocktails in a comfortable atmosphere.

Definitely support GNR status renewal.
  • Post #15 - October 2nd, 2011, 3:27 pm
    Post #15 - October 2nd, 2011, 3:27 pm Post #15 - October 2nd, 2011, 3:27 pm
    I love the drinks, spirits and the laid back vibe at Bar DeVille. It's a comfortable place with a very friendly staff and zero pretense. DeVille remains on my very short list of places in town I believe are worthy cocktail destinations. I happily support renewal.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #16 - October 2nd, 2011, 5:17 pm
    Post #16 - October 2nd, 2011, 5:17 pm Post #16 - October 2nd, 2011, 5:17 pm
    Not being much of a drinker, this is one of a few spots I look forward to going to, and a 5 min walk is a bonus. Yes on renewal.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #17 - October 5th, 2011, 11:02 pm
    Post #17 - October 5th, 2011, 11:02 pm Post #17 - October 5th, 2011, 11:02 pm
    I was just here the other night and kicking myself for waiting so long between visits. Yes, oh yes for a renewal.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more