LTH Home

Romanian Kosher Sausage Co, Chicago Institution

Romanian Kosher Sausage Co, Chicago Institution
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
  • Romanian Kosher Sausage Co, Chicago Institution

Post #1 - March 6th, 2012, 3:43 pm
    Post #1 - March 6th, 2012, 3:43 pm Post #1 - March 6th, 2012, 3:43 pm

As I wrote in one of my earlier posts about Romanian Kosher sausage, it is the kind of place you forget about for a while, then one day you wander in there and wonder why the heck you have been away so long. It doesn't matter how long it has been since your last visit, there it is, exactly the same as when you left it. It is definitely one of Chicago's rapidly dwindling "time-warp" establishments. In fact, you get the feeling that the place hasn't changed an iota in the 47 years that it has been operating at it's present location in Rogers Park. Opened, 55 years ago, by the Loeb Family in Albany Park in 1957, RKS is a business that relies entirely on its reputation. Looking around the place, you notice the distinct lack of fancy displays or marketing gimmicks, all you see is what "The Romanian" is known for... its glorious meat. From the beautifully marbled skirt steaks to the smokey little beer sausages, you are surrounded by what makes RKS a favorite institution among Chicagoans.

Everybody has their favorite Romanian treat whether it is the perfectly spiced Garlic Polish Dogs or the Medium Hard Salami, or the beloved Kishke, there is always one thing that each of Romanian's loyal customers will tell you is "the best in the City". Surprisingly, my personal favorite is not a meat product at all, but the wonderful Shabbat potato salad made every Thursday especially for the upcoming Saturday's family meal (although mine rarely lasts past lunch on Friday). The great thing is you don't have to keep Kosher to love the Romanian, you do not even have to be Jewish. My father was Irish, and just adored the corned beef.

Anyhow, I don't know what to write to convince people that Romanian Kosher Sausage is one of Chicago's "Great Neighborhood Resources". To me it is one of those "no-brainers", and to any of their customers, I am sure it is the same. If you are not one of their customers, then you should be. I swear, go there once, and you will feel like you have been a customer for 50 years. If you are already a fan of RKS, then I am "preaching to the choir". If not, take a moment and read what others have said about the place (a simple search renders 6 pages of references). Better yet, stop in there and experience shopping with the personal touch that your parents and grandparents knew. It is truly one of Chicago's great culinary traditions, and with any luck, it will still be there another 55 years from now, but just in case, stop in soon.

http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12987
    http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26502
    http://lthforum.com/bb/search.php?keywo ... mit=Search

Romanian Kosher Sausage Co
    7200 N Clark St
    Chicago, IL 60626
    (773) 761-4141

(closed friday Afternoon and Saturdays, but now open on Sunday Morning)
    Last edited by d4v3 on March 7th, 2012, 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #2 - March 6th, 2012, 8:18 pm
    Post #2 - March 6th, 2012, 8:18 pm Post #2 - March 6th, 2012, 8:18 pm
    I actually have been a customer starting over 50 yrs ago. I grew up in E. Rogers Park and it was our go to for kishke, hard salami, knockwurst and Queen Esther rolls w/onions inside. To me @ least, difinitive versions by which all others are judged. After being gone nearly 20 yrs, one of my first stops was here and I've continued my affair and introduced many others as well. Yes the kishke is now frozen and the knockwurst gone, but great choice. Kind of like Calumet City Fisheries, where my father and I once rode bikes to from said apt on the lake. Serious fressers from way back. Yes on GNR status
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #3 - March 6th, 2012, 10:49 pm
    Post #3 - March 6th, 2012, 10:49 pm Post #3 - March 6th, 2012, 10:49 pm
    To me, this is a great nomination because, now that it's been made, it's so obvious . . . but it isn't one I'd thought about before the nomination was made.

Distinctive, great-quality stuff to be sure. My only knock, and it's a minor one, is the skinless hotdogs and polishes. Yes, I understand why that has to be and also that it's a textbook nitpick. If it weren't for that small detail, this place would be entirely perfect. :D

Still, this is easily a GNR in my book.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #4 - March 7th, 2012, 11:50 am
    Post #4 - March 7th, 2012, 11:50 am Post #4 - March 7th, 2012, 11:50 am
    I moved to Chicago 25 years and keeping kosher I asked where could I go for kosher meat and deli without hesitation everyone send go to Romanian - I have been doing that now for 25 years and all the items already mentioned are phenomenal and to add their chopped liver, liverwurst and Beef Fry are amazing - only downside of nominating this gem is perhaps they will become even more crowded than they are now!

And to add - their sandwiches are a steal - a corned beef sandwich for 5.99 iis a BARGAIN!
  • Post #5 - March 7th, 2012, 11:59 am
    Post #5 - March 7th, 2012, 11:59 am Post #5 - March 7th, 2012, 11:59 am
    I love their salami, pastrami, sandwiches, and hot dogs. Plus, my great-grandfather bought sausages there years ago. So this is a special place for me on several levels. Great nomination, d4v3.
  • Post #6 - March 9th, 2012, 7:50 pm
    Post #6 - March 9th, 2012, 7:50 pm Post #6 - March 9th, 2012, 7:50 pm
    No question about it. I share the quibble about the skinless dogs and polish, but that's not why I go there. It should be on all meat lovers' go-to lists.
  • Post #7 - March 10th, 2012, 6:48 pm
    Post #7 - March 10th, 2012, 6:48 pm Post #7 - March 10th, 2012, 6:48 pm
    Funny how many intestine chewers there are around here. I like me some G&J rubber dogs too, but for sheer flavor, I would take a Romanian Spicy Polish over any other dog made, with or without skin. Admittedly, skin would make them better, but you can't beat the flavor of their dogs, especially in the all-beef category. About 80 of the skinless beauties (of both varieties) were happily consumed at one of the early LTH picnics.
  • Post #8 - March 28th, 2012, 9:49 am
    Post #8 - March 28th, 2012, 9:49 am Post #8 - March 28th, 2012, 9:49 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:My only knock, and it's a minor one, is the skinless hotdogs and polishes.

I interviewed their manager last year, and he said he'd been experimenting with newly available glatt kosher casings, but their machines shredded them. He didn't seem convinced there was a big enough market for natural casing kosher sausages to make it worth the trouble to keep trying.

I suggest that everyone who shops there start asking about them whenever you go, and perhaps that will convince him to work on it.

AFAIK, there are no natural-casing kosher hot dogs made in the U.S.
  • Post #9 - March 28th, 2012, 12:24 pm
    Post #9 - March 28th, 2012, 12:24 pm Post #9 - March 28th, 2012, 12:24 pm
    IN LA there is Jeff's Kosher Gourmet Sausage (http://www.jeffsgourmet.com/) that makes sausages with natural casings - they are on par to Romanians -
  • Post #10 - March 29th, 2012, 11:38 am
    Post #10 - March 29th, 2012, 11:38 am Post #10 - March 29th, 2012, 11:38 am
    Here's a sweet little video on this Rogers Park fixture. Love the comment about the customer service!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more