LTH Home

New England Seafood Company

New England Seafood Company
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
  • New England Seafood Company

Post #1 - February 6th, 2013, 10:32 am
    Post #1 - February 6th, 2013, 10:32 am Post #1 - February 6th, 2013, 10:32 am

New England Seafood Company has become a board and personal favorite due to an extensive and delicious menu of fantastic seafood, served by a warm and knowledgeable staff. NESC fills a niche in a city without a lot of quality seafood-focused restaurants, outside of a few high end spots. They offer a number of delicious and satisfying dishes, from the bountiful fry baskets (LOVE the clams!) to the outstanding clam chowder to the nearly naked lobster roll (beloved by the no-mayo-on-my-roll crowd!) in an atmosphere that is no-frills but comfortable and inviting. The retail seafood selection is pristinely fresh, well-priced and provides some gems (Faroe Island Salmon, Bay Scallops, Soft Shell Clams, etc.) that can be hard to find, making NESC both a Great Neighborhood Restaurant AND Resource.

Here are a few quotes from the board:

jesteinf..."I tried their cioppino for the first time this weekend and it blew me away. As good as any version I've had in San Francisco. They were also shucking oysters to order this weekend, but I'm not sure that's a regular thing. We had some Cape Bretons that had just arrived. They were extremely well shucked, full of liquor and zero bits of shell."

jfibro..."I have to echo the lobster roll love. Just had my first from New England Seafood Co, and it really did shine. Beautifully cooked chunks of sweet lobster, minimally dressed with just a touch of seasoning on a delicious grill marked bun. It's the closest I've come to a perfect version in the Midwest."

ecs..."The swordfish that I grilled tonight was fabulous and I believe excellent quality as I just did a quick marinade in olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest and rosemary. The fish was nice and moist and very flavorful. I will definitely be back both for the seafood shop and to try their cooking. I plan to give NESC lots more love!"

Alessio20..."Wow. I always love it when something lives up to the hype, and the lobster roll at NESC actually exceeded it in my mind. There's not much I can add to what's already been said--I simply can't imagine finding a better lobster roll in Chicago, and I have no inclination to look any further."

Pie Love..."I love this place too. I usually get fish at the counter and have always gotten good advice, friendly service, and (most important) fresh fish"

Cathy2..."every item from haddock, shrimp, scallops, clams and fries was cooked just right. Loved it all, though I will probably go for a full order of clams next time. Yet the mussels at the next table look terrific as well. Yeah, I was getting a severe case of swivel-head checking out all the food going to other tables."

milz50..."Friggin amazeballs"*

The rest of the love is shared here: http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=35212&hilit=new+england+seafood+company

And so, I nominate the very worthy New England Seafood Company to join the ranks of our Great Neighborhood Restaurants/Resources!

*i have no idea if milz50 actually likes NESC or has even been there...his quote was in reference to the episode of Check Please featuring NESC whose effusive reviewers included this delightfully expressive remark about the place--but yes, all three reviewers, loved their meals there!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #2 - February 6th, 2013, 10:42 am
    Post #2 - February 6th, 2013, 10:42 am Post #2 - February 6th, 2013, 10:42 am
    I will eagerly second this nomination. Great place, great people. Easily a GNR.
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #3 - February 6th, 2013, 10:50 am
    Post #3 - February 6th, 2013, 10:50 am Post #3 - February 6th, 2013, 10:50 am
    Yes, Yes, Yes!
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #4 - February 6th, 2013, 11:16 am
    Post #4 - February 6th, 2013, 11:16 am Post #4 - February 6th, 2013, 11:16 am
    Hooray, big agree!
    Jen
  • Post #5 - February 10th, 2013, 3:41 pm
    Post #5 - February 10th, 2013, 3:41 pm Post #5 - February 10th, 2013, 3:41 pm
    Completely agree, such a great addition to the neighborhood.
  • Post #6 - February 16th, 2013, 3:41 pm
    Post #6 - February 16th, 2013, 3:41 pm Post #6 - February 16th, 2013, 3:41 pm
    I support GNR for New England Seafood Company

Please see post on main thread for elaboration.
    viewtopic.php?p=441090#p441090
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #7 - February 26th, 2013, 5:49 pm
    Post #7 - February 26th, 2013, 5:49 pm Post #7 - February 26th, 2013, 5:49 pm
    I really appreciate New England Seafood Company's approach to seafood. Their dedication to freshness is admirable, as is the generosity of their offerings. I get that seafood is expensive and a pain to keep fresh. That doesn't excuse so many places around town charging a premium then serving you a small portion of old seafood. If you're going to be a New England style fish joint, you've got to fill the plates high with quality seafood, and New England Seafood Company does exactly that.

I can't say I share the enthusiasm everyone else has for the clam chowder. I love the abundant fresh clams and I feel like the ratio of clams to potatoes to soup is right on. My gripe is that the soup itself is much too heavy on the cream. It makes for great texture but lacks the depth of seafood flavor I love in a great bowl of clam chowder. Still, I enjoy it and would gladly order it again in the future. The bisque is similarly creamy, but I think the result is a little more satisfying. The sweetness of the lobster shines through.

The fried seafood plates are impressive. They always fry them to order and the seafood has been impeccably fresh without exception. I also enjoy the crab cakes. They're loaded with crab, almost to the point where I wouldn't mind a little more filler just to round out the texture. That's about the kindest criticism you can give a seafood joint.

The atmosphere is warm and it's nice that you can pick up some seafood to take home from their fish counter as well. I support the nomination.
  • Post #8 - March 3rd, 2013, 9:29 pm
    Post #8 - March 3rd, 2013, 9:29 pm Post #8 - March 3rd, 2013, 9:29 pm
    My one visit here was really enjoyable. Their succulent, meaty lobster roll was one of the best things I ate in 2012. I also loved the clam chowder. And even though I'm not a huge fan of fried fish and seafood, I though NESC's versions were very well executed. I support this nomination.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #9 - March 3rd, 2013, 10:50 pm
    Post #9 - March 3rd, 2013, 10:50 pm Post #9 - March 3rd, 2013, 10:50 pm
    I stopped into NESC and I was very glad to finally find a great place to pop into after (or before) a movie at the music box theater, an area where I had not previously had much luck. I had an amazing clam chowder filled with some of the best clams I've had to date: sm $3.95 - med $4.95- lg $5.95 - great food and great prices.

NESC is a GNR to me!
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more