LTH Home

Rainbow Cuisine Thai

Rainbow Cuisine Thai
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
  • Rainbow Cuisine Thai

Post #1 - February 5th, 2014, 4:19 pm
    Post #1 - February 5th, 2014, 4:19 pm Post #1 - February 5th, 2014, 4:19 pm
    This year has been a great one for LTH. With many restaurants that seem like shoo-ins, I’m guessing at the top of that list might be Rainbow Cuisine. To most here, it needs no introduction, but suffice it to say that Rainbow is much more than just the best Thai cuisine currently in Chicago.

The owners are the friendliest, warmest people you will meet. I have heard numerous times from people that they were remembered and greeted as if an old friend on their 2nd visit or delivery, and this is how I felt walking home after my first visit.

A hole in the wall restaurant, with bold bright flavors, Rainbow is pretty much the type of restaurant that represents the common interests that tie together this mishmash of people from all walks that is lthforum. It is the type of place that, while amazing, can easily fly under the radar without notice, and I am truly proud to do my part in this community that sheds some light on these deserving restaurants.

There are too many amazing dishes at Rainbow to count, and nary a miss. The naem khao tod, and isan sausage are just the tip of the iceberg, so feel free to post your favorites below!

lthforum.com
    The Chicago Reader
    Serious Eats
    Hungry Hound
    WBEZ/Louisa Chu
    Chicago Mag
    Tasting Table
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #2 - February 5th, 2014, 4:41 pm
    Post #2 - February 5th, 2014, 4:41 pm Post #2 - February 5th, 2014, 4:41 pm
    No brainer? Yes...but it's a deserving no brainer. Rainbow Thai? Yessss.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #3 - February 5th, 2014, 4:51 pm
    Post #3 - February 5th, 2014, 4:51 pm Post #3 - February 5th, 2014, 4:51 pm
    I am with Laikom on this! If our forum was founded in 2013, it may have wound up being named Rainboithaiforum.com

Nice choice.

Glenn
  • Post #4 - February 5th, 2014, 8:18 pm
    Post #4 - February 5th, 2014, 8:18 pm Post #4 - February 5th, 2014, 8:18 pm
    Love their catfish custard!
  • Post #5 - February 6th, 2014, 10:07 am
    Post #5 - February 6th, 2014, 10:07 am Post #5 - February 6th, 2014, 10:07 am
    Definitely recommended for gnr status. My meals here have been brightly flavored with real care and devotion. I've told several people about Rainbow and they have all loved it.
  • Post #6 - February 6th, 2014, 12:29 pm
    Post #6 - February 6th, 2014, 12:29 pm Post #6 - February 6th, 2014, 12:29 pm
    Duh
  • Post #7 - February 6th, 2014, 2:03 pm
    Post #7 - February 6th, 2014, 2:03 pm Post #7 - February 6th, 2014, 2:03 pm
    Yup.

Just kidding. I can add a little to that :)

I think Rainbow is the reason we have GNRs. To reward excellence, no matter it's form or substance. It's the heart, the soul, the special story, the memorable. Pramote and Wanpen feel like family and you want them to succeed like you want your family to succeed. GNRs don't have to be hole-in-the-wall places but it feels good when they are and can be rewarded with a little recognition in exchange for making us all so happy.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #8 - February 6th, 2014, 4:55 pm
    Post #8 - February 6th, 2014, 4:55 pm Post #8 - February 6th, 2014, 4:55 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:Yup.

Just kidding. I can add a little to that :)

I think Rainbow is the reason we have GNRs. To reward excellence, no matter it's form or substance. It's the heart, the soul, the special story, the memorable. Pramote and Wanpen feel like family and you want them to succeed like you want your family to succeed. GNRs don't have to be hole-in-the-wall places but it feels good when they are and can be rewarded with a little recognition in exchange for making us all so happy.

Well said.
  • Post #9 - February 10th, 2014, 7:40 am
    Post #9 - February 10th, 2014, 7:40 am Post #9 - February 10th, 2014, 7:40 am
    laikom wrote:... and I am truly proud to do my part in this community that sheds some light on these deserving restaurants.
    The dinner with you & fropones clearly demonstrated you as an adept ambassador for Rainbow Thai, a well deserved nomination.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #10 - February 10th, 2014, 3:46 pm
    Post #10 - February 10th, 2014, 3:46 pm Post #10 - February 10th, 2014, 3:46 pm
    My favorite meal in the city currently and the warmth of the owners is absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for finding this fantastic restaurant. Four thumbs up in my house.
  • Post #11 - February 21st, 2014, 11:17 pm
    Post #11 - February 21st, 2014, 11:17 pm Post #11 - February 21st, 2014, 11:17 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:I think Rainbow is the reason we have GNRs. To reward excellence, no matter it's form or substance. It's the heart, the soul, the special story, the memorable. Pramote and Wanpen feel like family and you want them to succeed like you want your family to succeed. GNRs don't have to be hole-in-the-wall places but it feels good when they are and can be rewarded with a little recognition in exchange for making us all so happy.

Boudreaulicious captured my family's sentiments (and experience) exactly. For our weekly Saturday night dinner out, my wife and I have frequently found ourselves saying "Let's drive by Rainbow and see if a table is free." While we head out pretty early (due to our little girls' bedtime), we are amazed that we *always* have found a table free (for the four of us, on a *Saturday* night). It's great for my family, but come on, Chicago! We have always been treated like honored guests of the family and, well, their naem khao thawt (especially with an egg added on top) is the most perfect composition on a plate we've come across.
  • Post #12 - February 23rd, 2014, 11:48 am
    Post #12 - February 23rd, 2014, 11:48 am Post #12 - February 23rd, 2014, 11:48 am
    The type of place that really embodies a GNR for me.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #13 - March 3rd, 2014, 11:35 am
    Post #13 - March 3rd, 2014, 11:35 am Post #13 - March 3rd, 2014, 11:35 am
    It's the kind of place I feel comfortable recommending to anyone because the food is so bright and delicious. The owners are extremely welcoming and the food is consistently wonderful. A sure fire GNR to me.
  • Post #14 - March 8th, 2014, 4:53 pm
    Post #14 - March 8th, 2014, 4:53 pm Post #14 - March 8th, 2014, 4:53 pm
    laikom wrote:A hole in the wall restaurant, with bold bright flavors, Rainbow is pretty much the type of restaurant that represents the common interests that tie together this mishmash of people from all walks that is lthforum.

Since my first visit Rainbow is the restaurant I go most, often multiple times a week. Pramote and Wanpen are as wonderful as the food.

Rainbow for GNR, yes please!

Rainbow Cusine Thai, count me a fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #15 - March 9th, 2014, 11:18 am
    Post #15 - March 9th, 2014, 11:18 am Post #15 - March 9th, 2014, 11:18 am
    Rainbow is a great spot; a truly wonderful find by laikom. I fully support this outstanding nomination.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #16 - March 9th, 2014, 4:53 pm
    Post #16 - March 9th, 2014, 4:53 pm Post #16 - March 9th, 2014, 4:53 pm
    Rainbow quickly shot up the list to be one of our very favorite Thai restaurants anywhere. This one's easy: wonderful food, wonderful people, pure GNR.

--Rich
    I don't know what you think about dinner, but there must be a relation between the breakfast and the happiness. --Cemal Süreyya
  • Post #17 - March 9th, 2014, 10:01 pm
    Post #17 - March 9th, 2014, 10:01 pm Post #17 - March 9th, 2014, 10:01 pm
    I've been trying to catch up with the infallible love for Rainbow lately. I loved my first meal there during the initial zeitgeist last spring but due to my here-and-there lifestyle, I haven't been able to eat there five days a week like some of y'all. I've been crazy about 80% on the dishes I've tried in half a dozen subsequent visits, which is more than I can say about my old favorites lately. Sai ua might be my all time favorite thing to eat and while I love other versions around town, their hot, fatty, aromatic, always succulent version is the archetype. And yeah a lot of other things too. Mote and Wanpen are natural hosts and like my other favorite restaurants in Chicago, Zaragoza's and Pleasanthouse, I feel completely at home at Rainbow. A meta-GNR.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more