LTH Home

Nicky's Hot Dogs (6142 S. Archer Ave)

Nicky's Hot Dogs (6142 S. Archer Ave)
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
  • Nicky's Hot Dogs (6142 S. Archer Ave)

Post #1 - February 16th, 2014, 5:06 pm
    Post #1 - February 16th, 2014, 5:06 pm Post #1 - February 16th, 2014, 5:06 pm
    My nomination is Nicky's Hot Dogs at 6142 S. Archer Avenue.

Not all Big Baby places are created equal. In fact, before I ate one of Nicky's Big Baby's, I really never saw the beauty of your basic griddled-style hamburger of any style. Nicky's emphasis on meticulously assembling each and every Big Baby is what I love most about it. This perfectly proportioned, elemental hamburger is one of my favorite simple pleasures in Chicago.

As one who loves hyperbole, I don't think Binko was exaggerating when he said: "If Big Babies could be life-changing, this would be the one. It was as if I was tasting a Big Baby for the first time. Simply transcendant."

And, I believe, Rene G would still agree that Nicky's at 6142 S. Archer is the top Big Baby joint in town.

Nicky's Hot Dogs
    6142 S. Archer Ave
    Chicago, IL 60638
    (773) 585-3675
  • Post #2 - February 17th, 2014, 9:05 am
    Post #2 - February 17th, 2014, 9:05 am Post #2 - February 17th, 2014, 9:05 am
    I second this nomination (can I do that :? ). This has been a south side staple since I was a little kid. Everything they do here is amazing: CERTAINLY the Big Baby; the gyros; the fries; etc.

Glad to see that it may finally get some LTH love. My bad for not thinking to share it's goodness earlier with my LTH community!
    "Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens..."
    - Wyatt Earp, Tombstone
  • Post #3 - February 17th, 2014, 2:30 pm
    Post #3 - February 17th, 2014, 2:30 pm Post #3 - February 17th, 2014, 2:30 pm
    Hi,

This is a well placed GNR as far as recommending where to obtain the definitive Big Baby. Never having had anything else there, I can recommend it for the Big Baby.

I'm not suggesting this is a one-hit wonder (which we do have on the GNR list), though going there for the Big Baby is certainly worthy.

Everything you want to know about the Big Baby can be found at The Big Baby—A Chicago Burger Style from the SW Side.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #4 - February 18th, 2014, 1:00 am
    Post #4 - February 18th, 2014, 1:00 am Post #4 - February 18th, 2014, 1:00 am
    This is a really great neighborhood place, with an amazing Big Baby. It really is some sort of culinary anomaly, it shouldn't taste as good as it does. I tried my first Big Baby at Nicky's at the end of a food crawl, when I wasn't even hungry, yet I had to order a second. At first my dining companions thought I was kidding, I wasn't. A clear GNR.
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #5 - February 24th, 2014, 11:01 am
    Post #5 - February 24th, 2014, 11:01 am Post #5 - February 24th, 2014, 11:01 am
    With the nomination for GNR status of both Nicky's and Schoop's, this appears to be the year of the regional burger chains. I'm gratified that in both cases, the flagships of the chains were singled out for GNR status and not the entire chains. This Nicky's is clearly operating at a different level than some of the other Nicky's outposts and I'm glad to support this nomination. I had a recent meal here, which I posted about in the main Big Baby thread.

Nicky's for GNR? Yesssss.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #6 - February 26th, 2014, 10:12 am
    Post #6 - February 26th, 2014, 10:12 am Post #6 - February 26th, 2014, 10:12 am
    100% agree. Been going since I was a kid for Big Baby's, Gyros and Dogs. Totally consistent. Totally delicious.
    "I Like Food, Food Tastes Good" - The Descendants
  • Post #7 - February 28th, 2014, 1:39 pm
    Post #7 - February 28th, 2014, 1:39 pm Post #7 - February 28th, 2014, 1:39 pm
    laikom wrote:This is a really great neighborhood place, with an amazing Big Baby. It really is some sort of culinary anomaly, it shouldn't taste as good as it does.
    had one today, could not agree more. I actually was questioning myself as to why I was making the drive today. My questioning ceased when I bit into the Big Baby. I'm not even a cheeseburger guy but this burger was amazing. The build is so key to this burgers appeal.

For sure a GNR !
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #8 - March 3rd, 2014, 10:17 pm
    Post #8 - March 3rd, 2014, 10:17 pm Post #8 - March 3rd, 2014, 10:17 pm
    I have to admit that I wasn't expecting to love the Big Baby. I rarely order double cheeseburgers because I find the meat-to-bun ratio overwhelming and I prefer the crunch of raw onions to grilled onions. But the Big Baby at Nicky's overcame my prejudices and made me a Big Baby Believer.

Nicky's takes advantage of the two smaller patties so there are twice the crispy edges and the pickle provides all the crunchiness it needs. The grilled onions give the burger a little more depth such that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. If every burger shack made their double cheeseburgers with the same attention to balance and detail as Nicky's, I could see myself making the switch to doubles. And if you're in the mood for an over the top indulgence, the Pettit Burger (topped with gyro meat) is the real deal too.

The place is loaded with charm and they care about serving a great product to everyone who walks in the door. A fantastic nomination!
  • Post #9 - March 3rd, 2014, 10:32 pm
    Post #9 - March 3rd, 2014, 10:32 pm Post #9 - March 3rd, 2014, 10:32 pm
    I know this sounds crazy, but of all the burgers in Chicago, this is the one I crave the most (heck, I had one today). There's something about the quality of their griddled onions which, to me, is the key to a big baby. They're not fully caramelized, but they're not just fried to a translucent state--it's somewhere in between, a light to medium brown, where a smoky sweet tinge of caramelization hits the tongue without completely erasing the pungent bite of the onion. Being from the Southwest Side, I grew up with the Big Baby, but this, to me, is the ultimate realization of the humble burger. So, yeah, I support the nomination.
  • Post #10 - March 4th, 2014, 7:20 am
    Post #10 - March 4th, 2014, 7:20 am Post #10 - March 4th, 2014, 7:20 am
    I had driven by it on and off for a decade without stopping in. About six weeks ago I made the stop on the way home from Midway. I was seriously impressed by the Big Baby. Definitely support this nomination.
    "Fried chicken should unify us, as opposed to tearing us apart. " - Bomani Jones
  • Post #11 - March 10th, 2014, 5:18 pm
    Post #11 - March 10th, 2014, 5:18 pm Post #11 - March 10th, 2014, 5:18 pm
    I would like to support this nomination. I have been eating at this Nickys for years & years, even after having left the neighborhood. We will actually make a special trip just to eat here. Never a bad meal. ALWAYS consistently excellent. The Big Baby is the best in the city (IMO). The staff is always nice and will meet your every need or request. Great great place. A rare foodie gem on the Southwest Side of Chicago.
  • Post #12 - March 10th, 2014, 7:24 pm
    Post #12 - March 10th, 2014, 7:24 pm Post #12 - March 10th, 2014, 7:24 pm
    PIGMON wrote:Nicky's at 6142 S. Archer is the top Big Baby joint in town.

Aww, gee, come-on, don't be a big baby, GNR for Nicky's!

Nicky's Big Baby, count me a fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events