LTH Home

Gogi Korean BBQ

Gogi Korean BBQ
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
  • Gogi Korean BBQ

Post #1 - February 7th, 2015, 5:23 pm
    Post #1 - February 7th, 2015, 5:23 pm Post #1 - February 7th, 2015, 5:23 pm
    Gogi is one of those destinations that I will drive past a dozen other Korean spots to get to. While there are plenty of Korean bbq options in the city, this one stands out for their higher quality kalbi meat and warm, friendly service. I find myself making the trek out to Gogi every few months when my sister is in town and she’s craving Korean bbq. I won’t take her anywhere else. This is definitely my go-to spot for its charcoal grill, its wide array of banchan and Gogi Pajeon (seafood pancake), which is why I nominate Gogi for a 2015 GNR.

Main thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=38529

laikom says: I feel as though Gogi really went the extra mile with everything, food, service, the build-out, etc, and I hope it pays off for them! The value for the price was definitely high, as the meat was of the best quality.

JeffB says: This is the place for K-BBQ now.

Pigmon says: The meat quality here is a standard deviation better than any other Korean place I'm aware of here in Chicago. Couple that with their use of live coals and you have a very special place well worth seeking out.

ronniesuburban says: Ingredients were fresh and deftly prepped for service. Meats seemed to be of very good quality. I thought the marinade on the kalbi was particularly tasty.

Gogi Korean BBQ
    6240 N. California Ave
    Chicago, Illinois 60659
    773-274-6669
    http://gogichicago.com/
  • Post #2 - February 15th, 2015, 2:11 am
    Post #2 - February 15th, 2015, 2:11 am Post #2 - February 15th, 2015, 2:11 am
    More than a week and still no one has responded? Yikes...

The quality of meat, service, and cleanliness at Gogi far surpasses any other Korean BBQ in Chicago...Unfortunately, the prices reflect that. That being said, if I were to bring an out-of-towner to any Korean BBQ in Chicago, Gogi would probably be the place.

Yes.
  • Post #3 - February 15th, 2015, 7:22 am
    Post #3 - February 15th, 2015, 7:22 am Post #3 - February 15th, 2015, 7:22 am
    I love Gogi and thought it felt like a GNR from my first meal there. I haven't been in a while--need to fix that soon!!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #4 - February 22nd, 2015, 3:44 pm
    Post #4 - February 22nd, 2015, 3:44 pm Post #4 - February 22nd, 2015, 3:44 pm
    I arranged a group dinner at Gogi last month. I liked it. I did some searching for Korean BBQs and it seems several have closed, or changed hands with a decline in quality.‎ The food here was good quality and the service was attentive. They even boxed up the raw beef bones for me which I used in a crockpot soup, reigniting my use of the slow cooker again.‎
  • Post #5 - March 1st, 2015, 10:14 pm
    Post #5 - March 1st, 2015, 10:14 pm Post #5 - March 1st, 2015, 10:14 pm
    Cabbagehead and I really enjoyed the LTH dinner tonight at Gogi, arranged by turkob. The food was excellent, especially the grilled galbi and the seafood pajeon. The meat was flavorful and tender, and the large pancake was filled with seafood goodies. Gogi was hopping on a Sunday night with many happy eaters and the wonderful smell of grilling meat and lots of it. Special thanks to turkob and snap203 for bringing a sweet potato pie from Jimmy Jamm's to share--it was delicious. I support Goji for GNR, especially since it's in our neighborhood.
  • Post #6 - March 2nd, 2015, 12:44 am
    Post #6 - March 2nd, 2015, 12:44 am Post #6 - March 2nd, 2015, 12:44 am
    This was one place I considered nominating, and many have if Snap hadn't beaten me to it. They take traditional korean bbq and stepped it up a notch, or two! The service is friendly and attentive (at least when they’re not totally swamped), and have, by far, the best cuts of meat of all the korean bbqs in town. Then there is the added bonus of having yeowoosai (same owners) just next door, to end your night with a yogurt soju and K-pop.
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #7 - March 5th, 2015, 6:54 am
    Post #7 - March 5th, 2015, 6:54 am Post #7 - March 5th, 2015, 6:54 am
    I have to throw in my support for this nomination. Since they opened, we haven't visited any other Korean BBQ joint. Charcoal barbecue, quality meats, a great seafood pancake, and plentiful banchan. They've got it all.
  • Post #8 - March 15th, 2015, 1:42 am
    Post #8 - March 15th, 2015, 1:42 am Post #8 - March 15th, 2015, 1:42 am
    Terrific nomination.

Gogi for GNR, yes please!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #9 - March 16th, 2015, 8:28 pm
    Post #9 - March 16th, 2015, 8:28 pm Post #9 - March 16th, 2015, 8:28 pm
    Since Gogi opened, it is the only place I ever want to go to scratch my Korean bbq itch. Gogi is perfect for impressing your (meaning my) bland Midwestern parents with Chicago's culinary diversity. (The promise of bbq gets them in the door; the exceptional food and hospitality have them raving.) Owner Pete and his mother are always kind and welcoming, take tremendous pride in what they do, and are dedicated to a high level of quality in all their dishes. Yes to a GNR for Gogi!
    The meal isn't over when I'm full; the meal is over when I hate myself. - Louis C.K.
  • Post #10 - March 16th, 2015, 9:06 pm
    Post #10 - March 16th, 2015, 9:06 pm Post #10 - March 16th, 2015, 9:06 pm
    What Teresa said! This is one of the few "exotic" places my bland loving, Irish family will chance and the first time I took them there they had great trepidation. I love Gogi because I can get my fix of flavorful Korean BBQ and they can have their meat jones scratched and we both come away feeling happy. Yes for a GNR please.
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more