LTH Home

Review of GNR Classes of 2011/2012/2013

Review of GNR Classes of 2011/2012/2013
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Review of GNR Classes of 2011/2012/2013

Post #1 - November 10th, 2017, 9:22 am
    Post #1 - November 10th, 2017, 9:22 am Post #1 - November 10th, 2017, 9:22 am
    I have posted the newest survey reviewing the classes of 2011, 2012 and 2013 below. The previous surveys are still posted in the GNR forum. One survey left to go for the most recently awards GNRs, I hope to put it together sometime next week.

https://goo.gl/forms/lgQewcy2Lficb8id2
  • Post #2 - December 4th, 2017, 11:37 am
    Post #2 - December 4th, 2017, 11:37 am Post #2 - December 4th, 2017, 11:37 am
    As of now we have received 24 responses to this survey. I'll keep it open a little longer to hopefully collect some more responses.
  • Post #3 - December 4th, 2017, 11:55 am
    Post #3 - December 4th, 2017, 11:55 am Post #3 - December 4th, 2017, 11:55 am
    Can you post a list of those who have responded--it's only our actual ballots that are secret--not that we've responded at all. I can't remember if I've responded to all of these or not and I don't want to vote twice, Chicago traditions not withstanding!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #4 - December 11th, 2017, 11:31 am
    Post #4 - December 11th, 2017, 11:31 am Post #4 - December 11th, 2017, 11:31 am
    Here is who has filled out this survey so far

annak
    Bnowell724
    chapulin
    Cilantro
    Darren72
    Dave148
    dumpstermcnuggets
    edc
    eieileen
    ekreider
    EvA
    G Wiv
    Gnarchief
    janeyb
    Jefe
    JeffB
    JoelF
    laikom
    leek
    mbh
    noneoftheabove
    pairs4life
    RAB
    Santander
    sue raphael
    The GP
    the wimperoo
    thetrob
    turkob
    vital information
    willg
  • Post #5 - December 11th, 2017, 11:36 am
    Post #5 - December 11th, 2017, 11:36 am Post #5 - December 11th, 2017, 11:36 am
    Onur,

Are you sure I haven't completed this? I don't want to double-enter but I'm pretty sure I did complete it.

Thanks,

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #6 - December 11th, 2017, 11:38 am
    Post #6 - December 11th, 2017, 11:38 am Post #6 - December 11th, 2017, 11:38 am
    Just double checked, your survey has not been submitted.
  • Post #7 - December 11th, 2017, 11:40 am
    Post #7 - December 11th, 2017, 11:40 am Post #7 - December 11th, 2017, 11:40 am
    turkob wrote:Just double checked, your survey has not been submitted.

Now done.

=R=
  • Post #8 - December 11th, 2017, 12:49 pm
    Post #8 - December 11th, 2017, 12:49 pm Post #8 - December 11th, 2017, 12:49 pm
    I just submitted my entry also. I'm pretty sure I've done all of them now.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #9 - December 18th, 2017, 4:04 pm
    Post #9 - December 18th, 2017, 4:04 pm Post #9 - December 18th, 2017, 4:04 pm
    We're up to 39 responses which is great. I'll leave this survey open to allow some time for people to digest the results from 2005-2009. I'll probably return to post the results in mid-January after the dust has settled.
  • Post #10 - February 19th, 2018, 5:11 pm
    Post #10 - February 19th, 2018, 5:11 pm Post #10 - February 19th, 2018, 5:11 pm
    Apologies for the long break. Here are the results from the third survey of four.

During compilation of the results, I noticed that I forgot to include Big Jones. My apologies for the oversight. They will have to be left out of the discussion for this round.

Thank you to the following people who participated in the survey (46 total):

annak
    Bnowell724
    Boudreaulicious
    bweiny
    chapulin
    Cilantro
    Darren72
    Dave148
    DJH
    dumpstermcnuggets
    edc
    eieileen
    ekreider
    erottenberg
    EvA
    G Wiv
    gastro gnome
    Gnarchief
    indianbadger
    janeyb
    Jefe
    JeffB
    jeffheif1
    JoelF
    laikom
    leek
    LynnB
    mbh
    mhl
    noneoftheabove
    nr706
    pairs4life
    puckjam
    pudgym29
    RAB
    ronnie_suburban
    Santander
    Stevez
    sue raphael
    The GP
    the wimperoo
    thetrob
    turkob
    vital information
    WhyBeeSea
    willg

Results as follows:

Class of 2011
    Image2011 by Onur Usmen, on Flickr

Class of 2012
    Image2012 by Onur Usmen, on Flickr

Class of 2013
    Image2013 by Onur Usmen, on Flickr
  • Post #11 - February 19th, 2018, 5:14 pm
    Post #11 - February 19th, 2018, 5:14 pm Post #11 - February 19th, 2018, 5:14 pm
    Here are my initial thoughts.

Still GNRs
    Anteprima
    Aroy Thai
    Avli Estiatorio
    Bad Apple
    Big & Little's
    Butcher and Larder
    Cafe Orchid
    Da Rae Jung
    Dancen
    D'Candela
    Edzo's Burger Shop
    El Ideas
    Floriole Cafe and Bakery
    Ghareeb Nawaz
    Go 4 Food
    Great Sea
    Jimmy's Pizza Cafe
    Kabul House
    La Chaparrita
    Monti's
    Mr. D's Shish-Kabobs
    Nha Hang Vietnam
    Owen and Engine
    Pleasant House Pub
    Purple Pig
    Ream's Meat Market
    Red Hot Ranch
    Romanian Kosher Sausage Company
    Scofflaw
    Three Floyds Brewery
    Toons Bar and Grill
    Troha's Chicken and Shrimp House
    Xoco

Require Discussion
    Barnaby's of Northbrook
    Rip's Tavern
    Taqueria Los Gallos #2

No Longer GNRs
    Cho Jung
    Inovasi
  • Post #12 - February 20th, 2018, 9:48 am
    Post #12 - February 20th, 2018, 9:48 am Post #12 - February 20th, 2018, 9:48 am
    turkob wrote:Require Discussion
    Barnaby's of Northbrook
    Rip's Tavern
    Taqueria Los Gallos #2

Barnaby's of Northbrook is most definitely a GNR. It's favorite of the LTH North Lunch Group. Tavern style pizza that's consistently good. The cornmeal dusted crust is one of a kind. What's not to love about this gem?
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #13 - February 20th, 2018, 10:13 am
    Post #13 - February 20th, 2018, 10:13 am Post #13 - February 20th, 2018, 10:13 am
    Dave148 wrote:What's not to love about this gem?

Could it be the sausage that tastes like dog food?
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #14 - February 20th, 2018, 10:26 am
    Post #14 - February 20th, 2018, 10:26 am Post #14 - February 20th, 2018, 10:26 am
    I love Barnaby's of Northbrook and it's a quintessential GNR. It's distinctive and delicious and I agree with Dave that it's a true gem. This is not artisanal pizza but one of the best, unique takes on tavern-style that's being served anywhere in Chicagoland.

And I completely disagree with Steve about the sausage. It's got a bit more fennel than my ideal sausage but it's still deliciously flavorful. I'd put it up against just about anything being served at other thin-crust joints around town. I also think they do an exemplary job of applying it to their pizzas. The piece size is perfect, so it develops a nice crust while retaining some juiciness. And there's just enough on the pizza so that you get some in every bite without the overall pizza suffering from being overloaded.

The place has been around and thriving since 1969. There's a reason for that. This is the best pizza north of the city, bar none. And it'd be top-tier in its category in no matter where it was located. Definitely a GNR in my book.

=R=
  • Post #15 - February 20th, 2018, 11:39 am
    Post #15 - February 20th, 2018, 11:39 am Post #15 - February 20th, 2018, 11:39 am
    I couldn’t agree more with Ron about the Northbrook Barnaby’s. It is my family’s GNR.

We gather there with family every June to celebrate my son’s birthday. We went just last week on Valentine’s Day and put up with an hour wait to get our heart-shaped pizzas. They had the place decked out with hearts and balloons. We try not to eat a ton of pizza, but find ourselves looking for things to celebrate so we can “justify” a visit to Barnaby’s. No doubt if we didn’t live close, we’d still happily make the trek.

The grown ups’ regular order is sausage, green olive, and pickled jalapeños — well done. My son does half black olive, half pepperoni. For me, the crust is what’s magic, and I cherish those first few bites when the pie has cooled just enough to not burn the room of my mouth.

I grew up in the area and have fond memories of our Barnaby’s visits. I’m thrilled that my son will also get to enjoy this neighborhood gem, hopefully throughout his childhood and years beyond.

Ronna
  • Post #16 - February 20th, 2018, 3:52 pm
    Post #16 - February 20th, 2018, 3:52 pm Post #16 - February 20th, 2018, 3:52 pm
    Barnaby's not a GNR? Seriously? If I could only eat one pizza in Chicagoland-hell, anywhere--ever again, Barnaby's would be my pick.

And the dog food comment is crazy. Love you Steve but that's nuts. And since you like Marie's, we'll have to agree to disagree on what tastes good and bad :)
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #17 - February 20th, 2018, 3:54 pm
    Post #17 - February 20th, 2018, 3:54 pm Post #17 - February 20th, 2018, 3:54 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:Barnaby's not a GNR? Seriously? If I could only eat one pizza in Chicagoland-hell, anywhere--ever again, Barnaby's would be my pick.

And the dog food comment is crazy. Love you Steve but that's nuts. And since you like Marie's, we'll have to agree to disagree on what tastes good and bad :)

That's why they make 31 flavors.

I'm perfectly willing to admit that I'm in the minority when it comes to Barnaby's. I wouldn't say no to it remaining a GNR. I just don't like it personally, and I do eat there without complaint when circumstances dictate.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #18 - February 20th, 2018, 5:06 pm
    Post #18 - February 20th, 2018, 5:06 pm Post #18 - February 20th, 2018, 5:06 pm
    stevez wrote:
    boudreaulicious wrote:Barnaby's not a GNR? Seriously? If I could only eat one pizza in Chicagoland-hell, anywhere--ever again, Barnaby's would be my pick.

That's why they make 31 flavors.

I'm perfectly willing to admit that I'm in the minority when it comes to Barnaby's. I wouldn't say no to it remaining a GNR. I just don't like it personally, and I do eat there without complaint when circumstances dictate.

Perhaps minority but not alone. I understand that there is a lot of Barnaby's love; it is not, however, universal.

It's funny, I lived in Niles until 5th grade. In those years, Barnaby's was a regular place, right up there with Booby's and Arvey's as places I remember going to a lot. Of course the prevailing memory of Barnaby's was of waiting forever for our pizza. Then, we moved to Northbrook. There, we almost never went to Barnaby's. In fact, not only did we like Tonelli's a 1000x more, Tonelli's would be in my top 5 all time most missed restaurants (excluding their downhill years).

I've hit Barnaby's a few times over the years since, including not that long ago with some old Northbrook friends in for the night. I still miss Tonelli's.

It's not bad pizza, just not Tonelli's.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #19 - February 20th, 2018, 6:10 pm
    Post #19 - February 20th, 2018, 6:10 pm Post #19 - February 20th, 2018, 6:10 pm
    I didn't get to vote for Barnaby's of Northbrook to remain a GNR but I definitely would have (and my brother would vote yes). It's still one of my absolute favorite pizzas anywhere. I like the fennel sausage and of course I love that magic crust. Even my friend from Philadelphia loved it and he's big on East Coast style. It's been a GNR for me since the 70's when I first had it.
  • Post #20 - February 20th, 2018, 7:17 pm
    Post #20 - February 20th, 2018, 7:17 pm Post #20 - February 20th, 2018, 7:17 pm
    I recently dined at BoN for the first time and felt the charm. The pizza was pretty good, consistently crunchy-bottomed, cornmeal heavy. Didn't try the sausage, it was my wife's turn (she's pepperoni, I'm sausage). It probably doesn't break into my top tier tavern-style though– its distinctive quality for me was more about the looks of the crimp rather than a stand-out flavor profile.

That said, I respect the deep sentiment around here and I know a bunch of Northbrook natives who love this place like it was a member of their own family. And on that one outing, over the holidays, the place was aglow with cheer and family togetherness. What's not to love?

On a similar note– while I've never been to Rip's, I think it should also be filed in the landmark department, like Barnaby's, a frozen-in-amber tavern that I'll bet still does things the same way they have for decades. Its actually not much more of a drive from where I live than BoN, so while its a destination for many of us, it seems to have deep reverence within its own neck-of-the-woods.

Frequency of board discussion seems like one qualifier for the GNRs, but I personally value spots that serve their communities the old-fashioned way.
  • Post #21 - February 20th, 2018, 8:05 pm
    Post #21 - February 20th, 2018, 8:05 pm Post #21 - February 20th, 2018, 8:05 pm
    turkob wrote:Require Discussion
    Barnaby's of Northbrook
    Rip's Tavern

I dig both Rip's and Barnaby's of Northbrook, if they were closer I'd frequent both. Rip's and Barnaby's of Northbrook resonate with a well represented segment of LTHers and are both institutions in their own right.

Rip's Tavern and Barnaby's of Northbrook keeping their GNR, Yes, absolutely, Count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more