LTH Home

Pakeeza BBQ and Grill

Pakeeza BBQ and Grill
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Pakeeza BBQ and Grill

Post #1 - March 18th, 2018, 9:31 am
    Post #1 - March 18th, 2018, 9:31 am Post #1 - March 18th, 2018, 9:31 am
    2018 Nomination: Pakeeza BBQ and Grill

It is my pleasure to nominate Pakeeza BBQ and Grill for a 2018 LTHForum Great Neighborhood Award.

Friendly, inviting, delicious, value-packed window to another culture, interesting ever changing menu within the framework of IndoPak. A social hub, neighborhood home away from home for legions of cabbies who, along with the interactive Pakeeza staff, are pleased to share their urban oasis with appreciative "friends they haven't yet met"

Ever since a interesting, random and fortuitous conservation with Habibi at GNR Nha Hang I've been somewhat obsessed with Pakeeza and have introduced many others, both LTHer and non LTHer, to perfectly blistered naan paired with flavor packed proteins, veg and legume, not to mention one of the best biryani in Chicagoland.

From the Pakeeza LTH thread.

Habibi:
    I eat at Pakeeza as often as I can. It has replaced nearly every other IndoPak place I have frequented in the last few years. There is something to be said for a place that is perpetually buzzing with activity and a cacophony of laughter and jokes being told in a half-dozen languages; South Asian, East African, Middle Eastern, American, Central Asian and so on and so forth. A gathering place and a brief respite for hard-working folks to take a break before getting back to the grind. Or in my case, someone who just loves really freakin' good food.

Santander:
    The naan might have been the best I've had in Chicago and the two pieces served with an entree could cover a window.

Jazzfood:
    Talking about Pakeeza Frontier Chicken:
    This dish is still on my mind nearly a wk later
    -
    Had slight trepidation in bringing my sister and her 2 grandkids here for lunch because I've never seen a woman or a child in the place. Couldn't have been more wrong. From the guy who opened the door saying "welcome to Pakistan" to the free mango juice boxes for the kids, the questions of "do they like spicy food/cricket (on the tv)" and the frequent smiles from all around... it was an excellent opportunity for them to feel the love.

mhl:
    Sorry, no pix, but I assure you the 20-minute wait was worth it, if only just for the chicken boti.
    ...A pleasant midnight jaunt for me, for a tasty little slice of late-night Chicago life. I'll be back!

Jefe:
    This place feels as much like a community center as an eatery. A real gem. Thanks, Habibi!

Chezbrad:
    Previously unmentioned but worth love: the goat stew.

Deesher:
    My go to at lunch was a "sandwich" of Frontier Chicken, Chappli Kabab, raw onion and peppers, with a quick trip through the haleem. As Erik M. once said, "I think it's exciting when the foods touch". Can't wait to get back for more of the same (or at least similar).

There is, of course, some dissension to the unabashed Pakeeza love above, Botd felt it a bit expensive and experienced a mediocre Frontier Chicken, Ronnie_Suburban loves the naan but is less enthused with the rice, bhindi and daal. DutchMuse was, to put it mildly, not a fan, here is a link to his Pakeeza post

I have, in many visits, experienced a range from good to great to Holy Sh*T that was delicious, though I tend to go right at or slightly before lunchtime. Pakeeza is open 24/7 and I have no doubt there is a greater range than I have experienced based on the 24/hour cycle.

To my mind Pakeeza exemplifies the very essence of LTHForum GNR's. I hope, if nothing else, this nomination prompts "friends they haven't yet met" to visit.

Pakeeza BBQ and Grill, Count me a Fan!

Pakeeza BBQ and Grill
    1011 N Orleans St.
    Chicago, IL 60610
    312-266-7936
    Open 24/7
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #2 - March 19th, 2018, 12:41 pm
    Post #2 - March 19th, 2018, 12:41 pm Post #2 - March 19th, 2018, 12:41 pm
    It's become my 2nd choice for Indo/Pak after GNR Khan BBQ. Considering all the competition, Pakeeza rates as 100% GNR for me.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #3 - March 19th, 2018, 1:16 pm
    Post #3 - March 19th, 2018, 1:16 pm Post #3 - March 19th, 2018, 1:16 pm
    This was the only GNR candidate I could come up with (with enough board traction), so suffice to say, I am all for it!

I've been half a dozen times and the only so-so lunch I had was my first outing (which won me over enough to return), all subsequent trips have yielded high B to A range dishes, naan a slam dunk A+ every time.

And to quote my year end blog post:
    "This place helped me feel grounded in dark times this year and renewed my faith in transcending cultural differences."
  • Post #4 - April 2nd, 2018, 8:41 am
    Post #4 - April 2nd, 2018, 8:41 am Post #4 - April 2nd, 2018, 8:41 am
    Pakeeza truly does have my favorite naan. Very much hoping this nomination will succeed, and I'll follow up with Tabaq in a cycle soon.
  • Post #5 - April 2nd, 2018, 10:36 am
    Post #5 - April 2nd, 2018, 10:36 am Post #5 - April 2nd, 2018, 10:36 am
    I fully support this nomination. Best naan in town and plenty of other tasty dishes . . . plus major points for "atmosphere."

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more