LTH Home

In my search for the perfect mojito: mint

• Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • In my search for the perfect mojito: mint

Post #1 - August 27th, 2004, 6:55 pm
    Post #1 - August 27th, 2004, 6:55 pm Post #1 - August 27th, 2004, 6:55 pm

In my search for the perfect mojito (guided by Ultimo, Reverend Andy, and other mixology maestri), it has come to my attention that different varieties of mint have vastly different properties.

I have three mint patches in the backyard. To the untutored tongue (like mine, circa three weeks ago), they all taste like mint. I've discovered, though, that each is different and some are clearly preferable.

The one with larger, greener, shiner and spikier leaves has a dirty, herbaceous flavor. I used these for my first attempts, and they are my most abundant, unfortunately.

The one with the tiniest leaves has a better flavor, a deeper, more peppery sting. They also look most pretty as garnish.

The one with the mid-sized leaves, dull cast, has a milder pepper sting, minty enough and perhaps a little sweeter.

Of course, I don't know the proper Latin names of any of these mint varieties, but what it makes me wonder is: can the perfect mojito be made? Is not the final combination the result of ingredients that are constantly changing and never always available (unless you have your own regulated mint and lime sources)?

Anyhow, the mojito is a very fine drink and 'tis the season, and so cheers.

And on the subject of mojitos, don't you think, when Fidel is dead, that Cuba would make an excellent 51st state? Personally, I think that's always been the plan all along.

Hammond
  • Post #2 - August 27th, 2004, 8:06 pm
    Post #2 - August 27th, 2004, 8:06 pm Post #2 - August 27th, 2004, 8:06 pm
    I think your very right, the mojito varies a lot depending on the mint (I have the med. to tiny size growing in a pot in my herb garden). Have you found it also varies on the sweetness of the lime as well? I'm thinking they can differ quite a bit. I got really tired of the little pieces of mulled mint floating around in my drink, so I now make a simple mint syrup. It keeps in the fridge for a really long time, has great flavor and I can now use a large sprig of mint for garnish. Still looks great, tastes wonderful and is very easy. Cheers!
  • Post #3 - August 27th, 2004, 8:11 pm
    Post #3 - August 27th, 2004, 8:11 pm Post #3 - August 27th, 2004, 8:11 pm
    jackie wrote:I got really tired of the little pieces of mulled mint floating around in my drink, so I now make a simple mint syrup.

How do you make this marvelous mint syrup you speak of?

Hammond
  • Post #4 - August 27th, 2004, 8:44 pm
    Post #4 - August 27th, 2004, 8:44 pm Post #4 - August 27th, 2004, 8:44 pm
    It really is simple! Take 3/4 c. water and 1/2 c. sugar and boil, just until the sugar melts. Add 6 or 8 -four inch sprigs of mint , stir well and let steep in sugar mixture for an hour or so. Strain out mint and put in frig. You can adjust the water- sugar ratio depending on how sweet you like the syrup, but I find this one works for me. Hope you like it!
  • Post #5 - August 27th, 2004, 9:01 pm
    Post #5 - August 27th, 2004, 9:01 pm Post #5 - August 27th, 2004, 9:01 pm
    jackie wrote: Strain out mint

Thank you, ma'am. But why strain out the mint? Seems like an extra step to a lazy schmo like me.

Hammond
  • Post #6 - August 27th, 2004, 10:09 pm
    Post #6 - August 27th, 2004, 10:09 pm Post #6 - August 27th, 2004, 10:09 pm
    don't you think, when Fidel is dead, that Cuba would make an excellent 51st state? Personally, I think that's always been the plan all along.

That's the sentiment that put him there, and kept him there. Knowing your wit, I'll take this as wry satire.

As for the mojito, you'll want to use Mexican or Key limes and simple syrup. Muddle for sure. It is essentially a muddled drink. The mint, properly Cuban yerba buena allegedly not available here (though it grows in Miami, so why not here?), should be a little more vegetal than what most might like.

I think a dash of good bitters does wonders for this and similarly coying drinks. Oh, and use decent rum. The youngest, lightest Barbancourt might help.
  • Post #7 - August 28th, 2004, 12:39 pm
    Post #7 - August 28th, 2004, 12:39 pm Post #7 - August 28th, 2004, 12:39 pm
    David, You strain out the mint because after a while it will begin to rot, which isn't a nice thing to have in your drink. I still muddle the lime-I use 1/2 fresh lime, muddle (I think you need the bitterness from the lime peel), then add about 1/2 jigger of the simple syrup, rum, ice, a bit of club soda,and a nice size fresh mint sprig. I like a tart drink, but if you like it sweeter, just add more simple syrup. Hope it doesn't rain tonite so I can sit out on my deck and have one!
    Jackie
  • Post #8 - August 28th, 2004, 12:55 pm
    Post #8 - August 28th, 2004, 12:55 pm Post #8 - August 28th, 2004, 12:55 pm
    jackie wrote: I still muddle the lime-I use 1/2 fresh lime, muddle (I think you need the bitterness from the lime peel)

Jackie,

I like the idea of muddling with the lime because I also prefer a tarter drink.

David
  • Post #9 - August 28th, 2004, 8:56 pm
    Post #9 - August 28th, 2004, 8:56 pm Post #9 - August 28th, 2004, 8:56 pm
    I've found that it's not enough mint for me to merely infuse the syrup with mint, you've got to take some more fresh mint and muddle it into the drink. It's a pain, and I'm not very good at mixing drinks with more than three ingredients.
    there's food, and then there's food
  • Post #10 - August 28th, 2004, 9:54 pm
    Post #10 - August 28th, 2004, 9:54 pm Post #10 - August 28th, 2004, 9:54 pm
    Rich4,

I think the mint is really what makes this drink. I like the rum and the lime and all that, but it's the blast o'mint that I'm looking for. Unfortunately, my best mint plants are ending their short seasonal lives right now, so my search for the perfect mojito may have to be continued next summer. I'm holding out hope, though, that I can score some mint leaves at Thai Grocery or other Asian stores thru Indian Summer (assuming we have one, which seems only fair, in that we didn't really have a Summer Summer, being so cool and all).

Hammond
  • Post #11 - April 25th, 2015, 2:23 pm
    Post #11 - April 25th, 2015, 2:23 pm Post #11 - April 25th, 2015, 2:23 pm
    I will be buying some mint to plant in pots soon. One favorite drink is a mojito...what type of mint is the best
    and or authentic? Does it matter?
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #12 - April 25th, 2015, 3:55 pm
    Post #12 - April 25th, 2015, 3:55 pm Post #12 - April 25th, 2015, 3:55 pm
    I've read spearmint is the most authentic but I think I would like a true peppermint better. I dunno. I did have a great Blueberry mojito at Ruth's Chris Steak House. It was very very delicious. It was just a few muddled fresh blueberries in a regular mojito and a spear with some fresh blueberries on. It had mint as well. I like a very fresh natural mojito, no syrups or anything, I prefer something with superfine sugar. Unfortunately I'll also have to make some with splenda because I am prediabetic.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #13 - April 25th, 2015, 4:50 pm
    Post #13 - April 25th, 2015, 4:50 pm Post #13 - April 25th, 2015, 4:50 pm
    I like spearmint. Peppermint has a muskiness I don't like.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #14 - April 25th, 2015, 6:12 pm
    Post #14 - April 25th, 2015, 6:12 pm Post #14 - April 25th, 2015, 6:12 pm
    There is a variety of mint called 'mojito mint'. I've seen it at gethsemane. Check if they have it at your garden center.
  • Post #15 - May 16th, 2015, 12:06 pm
    Post #15 - May 16th, 2015, 12:06 pm Post #15 - May 16th, 2015, 12:06 pm
    I think the key to a good mojito is to leave the soda out! So many places try to make it into a tall drink, which it should not be.

Best place I had them that way was Yoli's in Las Vegas.

I usually use whatever mint is most profuse in the garden, usually spearmint, or "chocolate" mint. I don't find any difference using muddled sugar or mint syrup.
  • Post #16 - May 16th, 2015, 4:47 pm
    Post #16 - May 16th, 2015, 4:47 pm Post #16 - May 16th, 2015, 4:47 pm
    No kidding about the tall glass. That is what I have been using. More mojito to love. I had a wonderful blueberry mojito at Ruth's Chris steak house in Barrington. It was very natural tasting. I hate when people add soda pop or sweet and sour mix to mojitos. Although I do hear that of all places, the Cheesecake factory has a good one.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #17 - May 16th, 2015, 4:48 pm
    Post #17 - May 16th, 2015, 4:48 pm Post #17 - May 16th, 2015, 4:48 pm
    I'm about to get my muddle from Amazon prime so I will be making more of these. Have soda stream, muddler, mint and all the fixings. Mojito here I come.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more