Get a Taste of Burma

Posted February 20th 2007, 10:39am
Hi all!

I was recently given a bottle of Limoncello di Capri. I've heard about this lemon liqueur before but I've never had it. So, can I just drink straight or on the rocks? Or is it a better "mixer" and can I cook with it? Thanks!

m~

"There is no love sincerer than the love of food." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) Irish writer.

Charter Member
Posted February 20th 2007, 10:43am
Chilled limoncello makes an excellent, and classic, digestivo. It doesn't need ice and I generally associate the lemon flavor with warmer months.

Best,
Michael

Lead Moderator
Web
Posted February 20th 2007, 10:45am
I bought a bottle of Lemoncello and found it just fine with a little ice on a warm summer day (you probably don't want to drink it with dinner, but probably before). Of course, you can cook with it, too.

“We all have to stand before the kitchen gods.” Chef Jacob Sahaya Kumar Aruni
Posted February 20th 2007, 11:48am
We keep it in the feezer and serve it after dinner in tiny glasses. (vodka shooter glasses work well) Very refreshing any time of year.
Posted February 20th 2007, 12:00pm
Chilled limoncello sounds good. Are the any recipes or links to recipes that use limoncello? What are some of the dishes that I can use limoncello in besides the more obvious dessert course?

"There is no love sincerer than the love of food." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) Irish writer.
Posted February 22nd 2007, 9:16pm
marias23 wrote:Are the any recipes or links to recipes that use limoncello? What are some of the dishes that I can use limoncello in besides the more obvious dessert course?

The NYTimes published a recipe from Babbo a few months back - a vinaigrette they use to dress grilled octopus, fish. I think it would also be tasty with earthy vegetables like artichokes, beets or salsify. Here's an adaptation:

Limoncello Vinaigrette
1/4 cup limoncello
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground red-pepper flakes
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt to taste

Whisk together all ingredients except oil. Whisk in the oil a little bit at a time, and season to taste with salt.

- Fillay

"Grenache is Catholic, Mourvèdre is Huguenot"
- Fabrice Langlois, Château de Beaucastel
Posted February 23rd 2007, 1:35am
I'll be trying that dressing soon! I like my limoncello over ice with tonic water and a slice of lime. I've also bruised a mint leaf and added that, sometimes it's good -other times, not so much so buyer beware.

I used to think the brain was the most important part of the body. Then I realized who was telling me that.

Charter Member
Posted March 6th 2007, 12:02pm
Check out this recipe for Chicken baked in limoncello.

Looks like a tasty simple recipe that I'm likely to try very soon.

Best,
Michael
Posted March 7th 2007, 3:53pm
I saw this rendition of a lemon curd on Emeril and tried it last summer. An excellent, post bbq summer dessert though I have to say that tempering the egg yolks was a bit more challenging than I thought it would be. The berries soaked in limoncello was a very nice touch, and I opted out of the crem fraiche topping as I didn't think the dish needed it - the lemon curd is quite smooth as is. The recipe is available on foodnetwork.com.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes ... src=search
Posted May 6th 2007, 11:27am
Danny De Vito really enjoys limoncello

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46wakJ8oggM

:lol:
LTH Forum Holiday Party

Online Information