LTH Home

Bar DeVille

Bar DeVille
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 4
  • Post #31 - April 19th, 2009, 10:11 am
    Post #31 - April 19th, 2009, 10:11 am Post #31 - April 19th, 2009, 10:11 am
    I will have to try this place again. When I went earlier in the winter, I was served a Manhattan with way too much bitters. I reminded myself that I shouldn't order cocktails at a place that doesn't take them seriously.
  • Post #32 - April 19th, 2009, 11:59 am
    Post #32 - April 19th, 2009, 11:59 am Post #32 - April 19th, 2009, 11:59 am
    Manhattan at Bar DeVille:

    3 parts Rittenhouse Rye
    1 part Punt e Mes
    3 dashes Angostura Bitters

    Build. Stir. Strain. Garnish with lemon twist.

    Cheers,
    Brad Bolt

    Postscript- I take my cocktails seriously...
  • Post #33 - April 19th, 2009, 3:58 pm
    Post #33 - April 19th, 2009, 3:58 pm Post #33 - April 19th, 2009, 3:58 pm
    Bradley,

    Thanks for clarifying. I should have been more clear: this thread indicates that the impression I got from my first visit was wrong. Your recipe is similar to what I make at home. Perhaps the bartender made a mistake when he made my Manhattan. I look forward to visiting again soon.
  • Post #34 - June 15th, 2009, 7:27 pm
    Post #34 - June 15th, 2009, 7:27 pm Post #34 - June 15th, 2009, 7:27 pm
    i made my first visit to bar deville on friday night. it was early, about 6-7pm when my friend and i were there, perched at the bar. this is my kind of place, at least when it is empty, which it was then. the room is fantastic, very much like the california clipper, with art deco lighting on the back of the bar. the female bartender wasn't shy about making recommendations, at my request. i turned down the 'songbird', after she offered a sip of the too-floral-for-me green chartreuse, but was very happy with my strong old fashioned. i appreciated the large slabs of lemon and orange peel nestled in the glass. my friend and i both loved her moscow mule (though dont care for the name). i will happily go back early in an evening when the place is quiet. a great addition to west town. justjoan
  • Post #35 - June 15th, 2009, 8:09 pm
    Post #35 - June 15th, 2009, 8:09 pm Post #35 - June 15th, 2009, 8:09 pm
    justjoan wrote:i made my first visit to bar deville on friday night. it was early, about 6-7pm when my friend and i were there, perched at the bar. this is my kind of place, at least when it is empty, which it was then . . . i will happily go back early in an evening when the place is quiet.

    I think this captures my sentiments -- seems like a very good place when it is relatively quiet. I went on a Saturday night about a month ago around 10:00 and it was really hopping -- three deep at the bar and more or less all of the seating in each room taken. I thought the drinks suffered a bit when it was crowded (I'm not sure how they could have kept up with things otherwise, as there were just two bartenders) and the overall vibe was not really my thing, as it was conversationally challenged and seemed to be more of a hipster scene. However, the drinks seemed promising; just a bit unbalanced for my tastes on that night. In that respect, it is a different kind of place than The Violet Hour (not that it is striving for, or purports to be, the same type of place -- but the comparisons are somewhat unavoidable) -- I think The Violet Hour is better staffed behind the bar and manages the intake of patrons so that there is never a situation where the ratios are such that the bartenders cannot give the proper care and attention to the crafting of cocktails. Sample size caveats apply. I look forward to trying Bar DeVille when things are a bit quieter.
  • Post #36 - June 16th, 2009, 3:55 pm
    Post #36 - June 16th, 2009, 3:55 pm Post #36 - June 16th, 2009, 3:55 pm
    justjoan wrote:. . . but was very happy with my strong old fashioned. i appreciated the large slabs of lemon and orange peel nestled in the glass.

    Point of clarification: these are wide pieces of zest, cut as the drink is made, not the actual fruit. I only know this because I love the Old Fashioneds at DeVille and enjoyed several of them last weekend.

    justjoan wrote:. . . my friend and i both loved her moscow mule (though dont care for the name).

    Origins of the cocktail's name can be found via Wikipedia.org:

    Wikipedia.org wrote:The cocktail was invented in 1941 by John G. Martin of G.F. Heublein Brothers, Inc., an East Coast spirits and food distributor, and John "Jack" Morgan, President of Cock 'n' Bull Products which produced ginger beer and proprietor of the Cock 'n' Bull Tavern, a bar on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles popular with celebrities.

    =R=
    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

    Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

    I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French
  • Post #37 - August 24th, 2009, 3:23 pm
    Post #37 - August 24th, 2009, 3:23 pm Post #37 - August 24th, 2009, 3:23 pm
    Darren72 wrote:I will have to try this place again. When I went earlier in the winter, I was served a Manhattan with way too much bitters. I reminded myself that I shouldn't order cocktails at a place that doesn't take them seriously.


    I finally did make it to Bar DeVille again, a few weeks ago. I ordered an Old Fashioned, which is made somewhat differently than the textbook version, but was truly excellent. My wife ordered a Dark and Stormy (if I recall) and she really liked it also. The bartender (perhaps it was bradleybolt?) was friendly.
  • Post #38 - August 24th, 2009, 3:36 pm
    Post #38 - August 24th, 2009, 3:36 pm Post #38 - August 24th, 2009, 3:36 pm
    Darren72 wrote:
    Darren72 wrote:I will have to try this place again. When I went earlier in the winter, I was served a Manhattan with way too much bitters. I reminded myself that I shouldn't order cocktails at a place that doesn't take them seriously.


    I finally did make it to Bar DeVille again, a few weeks ago. I ordered an Old Fashioned, which is made somewhat differently than the textbook version, but was truly excellent. My wife ordered a Dark and Stormy (if I recall) and she really liked it also. The bartender (perhaps it was bradleybolt?) was friendly.

    IIRC, In Gary Regan's The Joy of Mixology, this recipe and the more traditional one -- with cherry and orange -- are both included. Regan expresses a preference for the version with the fruit.

    =R=
    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

    Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

    I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French
  • Post #39 - August 24th, 2009, 3:41 pm
    Post #39 - August 24th, 2009, 3:41 pm Post #39 - August 24th, 2009, 3:41 pm
    My standard at-home Old Fashioned is Regan's version with the fruit (though I tend to use less sugar). His "standard" version just has a twist of lemon. What I liked about the Bar DeVille version is that it had a huge slice of lemon zest and a huge slice of orange zest, which gave the drink a really nice perfume - more than I think I'd get with just a little twist.
  • Post #40 - August 24th, 2009, 3:45 pm
    Post #40 - August 24th, 2009, 3:45 pm Post #40 - August 24th, 2009, 3:45 pm
    Darren72 wrote:My standard at-home Old Fashioned is Regan's version with the fruit (though I tend to use less sugar). His "standard" version just has a twist of lemon. What I liked about the Bar DeVille version is that it had a huge slice of lemon zest and a huge slice of orange zest, which gave the drink a really nice perfume - more than I think I'd get with just a little twist.

    Thanks, Darren, for the clarification about Regan's 2 versions. I too, love that lemon/orange perfume that the DeVille version delivers with every sip. That's how I make them at home (thanks to Brad's coaching) and I've become extremely fond of them.

    =R=
    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

    Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

    I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French
  • Post #41 - August 25th, 2009, 8:37 am
    Post #41 - August 25th, 2009, 8:37 am Post #41 - August 25th, 2009, 8:37 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Darren72 wrote:My standard at-home Old Fashioned is Regan's version with the fruit (though I tend to use less sugar). His "standard" version just has a twist of lemon. What I liked about the Bar DeVille version is that it had a huge slice of lemon zest and a huge slice of orange zest, which gave the drink a really nice perfume - more than I think I'd get with just a little twist.

    Thanks, Darren, for the clarification about Regan's 2 versions. I too, love that lemon/orange perfume that the DeVille version delivers with every sip. That's how I make them at home (thanks to Brad's coaching) and I've become extremely fond of them.

    =R=


    That perfume might be my favorite part of Bar Deville. Brad and staff know exactly when to start zesting/ cutting fruit, so that the air in the whole bar always seems filled with refreshing citrus scent. You get a big burst of it as soon as you enter, and it is quite welcoming.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

    Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #42 - October 2nd, 2009, 5:32 pm
    Post #42 - October 2nd, 2009, 5:32 pm Post #42 - October 2nd, 2009, 5:32 pm
    As I've been getting into rums a bit lately, I 'learned' a 'new' drink the other night from Brad at Bar DeVille, the classic daiquiri, which I don't think I've ever had before in quite this pure and enjoyable a form. It was:

    1 ounce clear rum (Cruzan, iirc)
    1 ounce amber rum (cannot remember exactly which one they used)
    3/4 ounce simple syrup
    3/4 ounce fresh-squeezed lime juice
    Shake with ice, strain, serve up in a chilled coupe (if you have one) and garnish with slice of lime on side of glass

    Please use caution as these go down extremely easily. 8)

    =R=
    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

    Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

    I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French
  • Post #43 - October 2nd, 2009, 5:54 pm
    Post #43 - October 2nd, 2009, 5:54 pm Post #43 - October 2nd, 2009, 5:54 pm
    John Mariani infamously likes this Daiquiri recipe:

    Image
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

    RIP LTH.
  • Post #44 - October 2nd, 2009, 6:01 pm
    Post #44 - October 2nd, 2009, 6:01 pm Post #44 - October 2nd, 2009, 6:01 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:As I've been getting into rums a bit lately, I 'learned' a 'new' drink the other night from Brad at Bar DeVille, the classic daiquiri, which I don't think I've ever had before in quite this pure and enjoyable a form. It was:

    1 ounce clear rum (Cruzan, iirc)
    1 ounce amber rum (cannot remember exactly which one they used)
    3/4 ounce simple syrup
    3/4 ounce fresh-squeezed lime juice
    Shake with ice, strain, serve up in a chilled coupe (if you have one) and garnish with slice of lime on side of glass

    Please use caution as these go down extremely easily. 8)

    =R=

    Very similar to Toby's daiquiri recipe, the only difference being the half-light, half-gold ratio. I can't wait to try this, but I'm out of gold rum at the moment. I'd be interested to see what effect the gold has on the flavor and color of the drink. The all-light rum daiquiri is a pure lime green, a wonder to behold.
  • Post #45 - October 4th, 2009, 10:27 am
    Post #45 - October 4th, 2009, 10:27 am Post #45 - October 4th, 2009, 10:27 am
    Bar DeVille was the second fist of a Mado one-two punch for me last night, and the first time I had been to either one.

    My first round was a Last Word (gin, lime, green chartreuse, maraschino) and a Sloe Gin Fizz for the lady. I loved the citrus combined with the floral notes in my drink. Next, we shared a Corpse Reviver #2 (gin, lemon, cointreau, lillet, Pernod) and a Songbird. The second was recommended to me when I asked for a St. Germain cocktail, and as the link shows, it appears to be an original. Both were delicious.

    The bartender who I'm assuming was Brad Bolt also graciously let me taste a special cocktail made with egg white and bacon-infused bourbon (a few other ingredients, but my memory fails me), a cocktail combination that just seems so right. This was a drink made for special event "radio show" and not normally served, so I was surprised to be granted a sip. It was like drinking bacon. Since I couldn't order it there ("the bacon bourbon is a bitch to make"), I instantly had visions of recreating it at home. Must Google-search.

    The first set of drinks came to $17, and the second $21. Not bad for the amount of craft going into these, and a great option if you don't want to spend $12/cocktail at TVH (or if the line is out the door, which it was on a Saturday night at 10:30).

    I'd return here without a second thought. Bar DeVille is right up there with TVH as the great cocktail bars of Chicago.
  • Post #46 - October 4th, 2009, 10:58 pm
    Post #46 - October 4th, 2009, 10:58 pm Post #46 - October 4th, 2009, 10:58 pm
    geno55 wrote:The first set of drinks came to $17, and the second $21. Not bad for the amount of craft going into these, and a great option if you don't want to spend $12/cocktail at TVH (or if the line is out the door, which it was on a Saturday night at 10:30).

    I'd return here without a second thought. Bar DeVille is right up there with TVH as the great cocktail bars of Chicago.


    I do like DeVille, and the people there alot, but it sounds like you were there pretty early (pre dinner?) I was pretty much a regular there for the first couple of months there were open, but then the word got out, and I just don't like standing 4 or 5 deep at the bar waiting for a drink. I don't know if it is still that way, but for a while if you showed up after 9 or so, that is what you would face.

    SSDD
    He was constantly reminded of how startlingly different a place the world was when viewed from a point only three feet to the left.

    Deepdish Pizza = Casserole
  • Post #47 - October 4th, 2009, 11:18 pm
    Post #47 - October 4th, 2009, 11:18 pm Post #47 - October 4th, 2009, 11:18 pm
    headcase wrote:
    geno55 wrote:The first set of drinks came to $17, and the second $21. Not bad for the amount of craft going into these, and a great option if you don't want to spend $12/cocktail at TVH (or if the line is out the door, which it was on a Saturday night at 10:30).

    I'd return here without a second thought. Bar DeVille is right up there with TVH as the great cocktail bars of Chicago.


    I do like DeVille, and the people there alot, but it sounds like you were there pretty early (pre dinner?) I was pretty much a regular there for the first couple of months there were open, but then the word got out, and I just don't like standing 4 or 5 deep at the bar waiting for a drink. I don't know if it is still that way, but for a while if you showed up after 9 or so, that is what you would face.

    SSDD

    I was there recently on a Friday. It was great . . . until about 10:00. After that, it got pretty crowded, and some of that crowd seemed to be completley out of place at this particular bar (What? No Jager Bombs?). I typically go during the week or early on the weekends. If you're serious about cocktails and appreciate a pleasant, low-key crowd, that seems to be the best time to go.

    =R=
    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

    Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

    I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French
  • Post #48 - October 5th, 2009, 6:54 am
    Post #48 - October 5th, 2009, 6:54 am Post #48 - October 5th, 2009, 6:54 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I was there recently on a Friday. It was great . . . until about 10:00. After that, it got pretty crowded, and some of that crowd seemed to be completley out of place at this particular bar (What? No Jager Bombs?). I typically go during the week or early on the weekends. If you're serious about cocktails and appreciate a pleasant, low-key crowd, that seems to be the best time to go.

    =R=


    That sounds about right.

    SSDD
    He was constantly reminded of how startlingly different a place the world was when viewed from a point only three feet to the left.

    Deepdish Pizza = Casserole
  • Post #49 - October 5th, 2009, 8:10 am
    Post #49 - October 5th, 2009, 8:10 am Post #49 - October 5th, 2009, 8:10 am
    headcase wrote:I do like DeVille, and the people there alot, but it sounds like you were there pretty early (pre dinner?) I was pretty much a regular there for the first couple of months there were open, but then the word got out, and I just don't like standing 4 or 5 deep at the bar waiting for a drink. I don't know if it is still that way, but for a while if you showed up after 9 or so, that is what you would face.

    SSDD

    Luckily, we're willing to abide the frat boy crowd, which was indeed in full force on Saturday night. That said, there was no wait to get up to the bar, but hey, I'm used to not being able to move at college bars. This felt comfortable to me. Also, to my mind, the drinks didn't suffer, but maybe I need to wait to make that statement after I go on a Wed. evening.
  • Post #50 - October 8th, 2009, 11:50 am
    Post #50 - October 8th, 2009, 11:50 am Post #50 - October 8th, 2009, 11:50 am
    In addtion to checking the Hemingway Daiquiri off The List the other night at DeVille, I also enjoyed a delectable riff of that cocktail, created by Brad. It's called the 'Earnest,' which is spelled that way because of its earnest nature:

    Angostura Orange Bitters
    Fee's Orange Bitters
    2 oz aged rum
    1/4 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
    Stir, rocks
    Wide zest of grapefruit, sprayed then used as garnish

    =R=
    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

    Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

    I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French
  • Post #51 - October 23rd, 2009, 4:57 pm
    Post #51 - October 23rd, 2009, 4:57 pm Post #51 - October 23rd, 2009, 4:57 pm
    Can anyone tell me if this place is going to suck tonight? Not talking about quality of drinks, but, like, the crowd? Been to TVH twice in the past week, want to change it up, haven't been here yet. I know this isn't the optimal night to go, but maybe the rain will keep people away? Allay me fears, anyone.

    Oh, is there waitress service here or is it an order at the bar kind of affair?
  • Post #52 - October 23rd, 2009, 5:08 pm
    Post #52 - October 23rd, 2009, 5:08 pm Post #52 - October 23rd, 2009, 5:08 pm
    BryanZ wrote:Can anyone tell me if this place is going to suck tonight? Not talking about quality of drinks, but, like, the crowd? Been to TVH twice in the past week, want to change it up, haven't been here yet. I know this isn't the optimal night to go, but maybe the rain will keep people away? Allay me fears, anyone.
    It will be fantastic from now until about 9:45, at which point you'll realized that you've had too much to drink, not enough food, and suddenly the place is full. Not that I've ever done that... just guessing.

    BryanZ wrote:Oh, is there waitress service here or is it an order at the bar kind of affair?
    Both. I think that during slower days/times they only have bar service, but on a Friday night I'm fairly certain they have waitstaff as well.

    -Dan
  • Post #53 - October 23rd, 2009, 5:43 pm
    Post #53 - October 23rd, 2009, 5:43 pm Post #53 - October 23rd, 2009, 5:43 pm
    dansch wrote:
    BryanZ wrote:Can anyone tell me if this place is going to suck tonight? Not talking about quality of drinks, but, like, the crowd? Been to TVH twice in the past week, want to change it up, haven't been here yet. I know this isn't the optimal night to go, but maybe the rain will keep people away? Allay me fears, anyone.
    It will be fantastic from now until about 9:45, at which point you'll realized that you've had too much to drink, not enough food, and suddenly the place is full. Not that I've ever done that... just guessing.

    BryanZ wrote:Oh, is there waitress service here or is it an order at the bar kind of affair?
    Both. I think that during slower days/times they only have bar service, but on a Friday night I'm fairly certain they have waitstaff as well.

    -Dan



    The problem is that I'm going to be at a show way the hell up at the Metro until 10 pm. And I won't be having dinner before. I predict a good bit crankiness because I won't have eaten nor will I have had enough to drink, not to mention the sweetness of the crowd.
  • Post #54 - October 23rd, 2009, 6:18 pm
    Post #54 - October 23rd, 2009, 6:18 pm Post #54 - October 23rd, 2009, 6:18 pm
    BryanZ wrote:
    dansch wrote:
    BryanZ wrote:Can anyone tell me if this place is going to suck tonight? Not talking about quality of drinks, but, like, the crowd? Been to TVH twice in the past week, want to change it up, haven't been here yet. I know this isn't the optimal night to go, but maybe the rain will keep people away? Allay me fears, anyone.
    It will be fantastic from now until about 9:45, at which point you'll realized that you've had too much to drink, not enough food, and suddenly the place is full. Not that I've ever done that... just guessing.

    BryanZ wrote:Oh, is there waitress service here or is it an order at the bar kind of affair?
    Both. I think that during slower days/times they only have bar service, but on a Friday night I'm fairly certain they have waitstaff as well.

    -Dan



    The problem is that I'm going to be at a show way the hell up at the Metro until 10 pm. And I won't be having dinner before. I predict a good bit crankiness because I won't have eaten nor will I have had enough to drink, not to mention the sweetness of the crowd.

    Depending on what you're looking for, you could be disappointed. First, do not go in expecting The Violet Hour (and I appreciate you specifically said you are looking to change it up and Bar DeVille is clearly not trying to be TVH). Some drinks are on a par (depends who's behind the bar), but it is a different vibe (not worse, just different) and there is less order to the proceedings. My experience is that Bar DeVille transforms from a low-key cocktail-focused bar before 9:00 or so into a pretty packed neighborhood bar at night where many are there for beer or more run-of-the-mill mixed drinks and the drinks and the atmosphere suffer from my perspective (biased by the fact that I much prefer a more low key vibe and enjoy watching my drinks being made and chatting with the bartender). I have been on a Saturday night after 10:00 p.m. and it just was not my speed. If you go tonight, just make sure not to write it off and try it again during a non-peak time, as it really is a pretty different experience (as opposed to, say, TVH, where the limits on number of folks that they will let in keeps the difference between empty and packed much closer in terms of vibe and quality).
  • Post #55 - October 24th, 2009, 3:41 am
    Post #55 - October 24th, 2009, 3:41 am Post #55 - October 24th, 2009, 3:41 am
    The above post pretty much sums it up. On the whole I wasn't super impressed with the place. It's a solid bar, but based on what I saw tonight, nothing more. We lucked out and were able to score a table not long after we got our first round of drinks, but even in those circumstances the cocktails didn't measure up.

    I went "rye and dry" and had a sazerac suggested to me. Not the most creative option, but I'll take it if it's competently made. This was, but certainly not among the best I've had. My companion ordered a drink with gin as the base spirit and was offered a gin-ginger concoction. This drink wasn't particularly good. Lacking balance, it was too sweet up front and quite bitter on the finish. Much more citrus than ginger. I've had much, much better drinks in this family.

    With no expectations going in I would call this place a good enough neighborhood "cocktail" bar. I'm willing to try it again because it's so close, but I'd much rather pay a couple dollars more per drink for the quality and feel of TVH. I think it's most telling that for our next round of drinks, rather than risk it we went with wine (served in tumbler-style glasses).
  • Post #56 - October 24th, 2009, 8:34 am
    Post #56 - October 24th, 2009, 8:34 am Post #56 - October 24th, 2009, 8:34 am
    BryanZ wrote:The above post pretty much sums it up. On the whole I wasn't super impressed with the place. It's a solid bar, but based on what I saw tonight, nothing more.


    Bryan - let me paraphrase the above thread:

    DON'T GO TO BAR DEVILLE ON A FRIDAY OR SATURDAY NIGHT.

    You were warned -- numerous times, in fact -- that BDV is a very different place on a Friday and Saturday night. I wouldn't dismiss this place based upon one late Friday visit. TVH is a tad more serious, I'll give you that, but there's no way, during slow(er) times, BDV passes off inferior versions of cocktails. If you always want the most serious, most expensive and most dogmatic version of a cocktail, then go to TVH; but if you're in the mood to kick back a little, interact with talented bartenders, and have great cocktails in a more neighborhood atmosphere, then go to BDV. But go during the week or on Sundays.

    Cheers,

    Wendy
  • Post #57 - October 24th, 2009, 9:42 am
    Post #57 - October 24th, 2009, 9:42 am Post #57 - October 24th, 2009, 9:42 am
    Fair points. And I fully intend to return. But, in my opinion, a restaurant/bar shouldn't put out a lower quality product based on the time of week or day. The restaurant analogy is relatively appropriate here in that I don't think it acceptable that a restaurant send out worse food or offer worse service because it's a Saturday night or because the chef isn't in the house. That's where professionalism, training, and management come in.

    The same might be said of Serious Cocktail Bars. I'm not sure how serious this place intends to be, but if it's about putting out top-quality drinks, but only Sunday-Thursday, I can't fully get behind that. Personally I'd rather have a harder door to control crowds. Not every bar needs to be PDT or Milk and Honey--reservations can be annoying and sometimes seem the antithesis to carefree imbibing--but if a bar claims to be a serious cocktail destination it should achieve that goal on every night of the week.
  • Post #58 - October 24th, 2009, 10:04 am
    Post #58 - October 24th, 2009, 10:04 am Post #58 - October 24th, 2009, 10:04 am
    BryanZ wrote:Fair points. And I fully intend to return. But, in my opinion, a restaurant/bar shouldn't put out a lower quality product based on the time of week or day. The restaurant analogy is relatively appropriate here in that I don't think it acceptable that a restaurant send out worse food or offer worse service because it's a Saturday night or because the chef isn't in the house. That's where professionalism, training, and management come in.

    The same might be said of Serious Cocktail Bars. I'm not sure how serious this place intends to be, but if it's about putting out top-quality drinks, but only Sunday-Thursday, I can't fully get behind that. Personally I'd rather have a harder door to control crowds. Not every bar needs to be PDT or Milk and Honey--reservations can be annoying and sometimes seem the antithesis to carefree imbibing--but if a bar claims to be a serious cocktail destination it should achieve that goal on every night of the week.


    I hear what you're saying but even experiences in the same restaurant can vary depending upon whether you're dining on a weeknight or a weekend (one of the reasons why I like to dine on weeknights). I can see how, logistically, when the bar is three deep, it is more difficult to get cocktails perfect, especially given that a cocktail can go from sublime to just good depending +/- .5 ounce of lime juice. I suppose BDV can implement some of your suggestions -- crowd control, etc. -- but then, it becomes TVH or Milk and Honey. I guess I accept that on Fridays and Saturdays BDV is more bar than cocktail bar and time my visits during the slower periods when it performs to a level at which I'm satisfied. YMMV, though. :)
  • Post #59 - October 24th, 2009, 11:09 am
    Post #59 - October 24th, 2009, 11:09 am Post #59 - October 24th, 2009, 11:09 am
    I'm happy -- especially for its owners -- that DeVille can draw such crowds on weekend nights. I'm not likely to be a part of them but they help to ensure the longevity of the bar. That said, I've been there during these hours and still thoroughly enjoyed myself. The fact that the place changes during these times doesn't minimize its value for me one bit. The cocktails and service during the other 55 hours per week they are open are stellar. They are well-crafted drinks -- some classics, some new innovations -- that can, for the most part, can be made without too much fuss outside the bar. This is a place where one can appreciate -- and learn about -- serious libations.

    Put some ropes in front of the place and you change the very essence of what it is. Better, I say, to understand what it is and plan your visits around your own preferences and limitations.

    =R=
    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

    Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

    I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French
  • Post #60 - October 24th, 2009, 2:03 pm
    Post #60 - October 24th, 2009, 2:03 pm Post #60 - October 24th, 2009, 2:03 pm
    This is neither here nor there, but crowd notwithstanding, one drink was not good, the other was fine. A bar like Pegu Club or Clover Club sees as many people as Bar Deville, probably more, with the same number of bartenders. Again, I'm not passing judgment on BDV as a whole--I'll surely return--but my one experience was a bit underwhelming even if I'm focusing solely on what was in the glass.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more