LTH Home

Free Blind Wine Tasting at Sam's

Free Blind Wine Tasting at Sam's
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Free Blind Wine Tasting at Sam's

Post #1 - January 20th, 2005, 2:12 pm
    Post #1 - January 20th, 2005, 2:12 pm Post #1 - January 20th, 2005, 2:12 pm
    Don't know anything about this other than what it says here (from Sam's Website), but it sounds interesting. I've sent an email and left a voicemail to reserve a spot, but I haven't actually heard from anyone at Sam's. If anyone wants to meet up, let me know.

Cheers,

Aaron

---------------------------

Blind Tasting Challenge
    Complimentary
    Wednesday, January 26th - 6:30pm to 8pm- Chicago Store
    To reserve your space call 312.664.4394 or email lpevents@samswine.com

Saturday, January 28th - 1pm to 4pm - Downers Grove Store
    To reserve your space call 630.705.9463 or email dgevents@samswine.com

Labels and ratings mean a lot when it comes to a wine - or do they? Are you as wine savvy when you don
  • Post #2 - January 26th, 2005, 11:46 pm
    Post #2 - January 26th, 2005, 11:46 pm Post #2 - January 26th, 2005, 11:46 pm
    Continuing this conversation with myself, the wine tasting was quite an enjoyable event. I believe they are going to try to do something similar more regularly.

Four tables were set up throughout the store, two whites and two red at each. They kicked off the evening with a sparkling French wine, and then everyone was free to move about the tables at will, guessing varietal, country, region, and, as "bonus fields", price and vintage. Apparently there is some sort of prize to the winner. There were maybe 50-60 people in attendance.

The wines were quite distinctive and interesting. I didn't guess most of the varietals, but even among those I couldn't guess, the taste was familiar--it was more a comforting sense of a smell I couldn't place, than a desperate feeling of utter ignorance. Some wines, I was surprised at how obvious the identification was to me; others they threw in to purposely mislead you, like a chianti with an intense barnyard nose, or, as my wife so delicately put it, shit juice. I had no clue.

In any case, it was a very fun way to test my (lack of) wine knowledge, enjoy some free wines, and the company of others in search of a free, fun, wine night, including some other LTHers. Highly recommended.

Cheers,

Aaron
  • Post #3 - January 27th, 2005, 2:06 am
    Post #3 - January 27th, 2005, 2:06 am Post #3 - January 27th, 2005, 2:06 am
    Funny, I just (finally!) saw Sideways tonight. It made me realize how far from being able to pull this kind of thing off I am, but then again how much I love wine and would love to eventually know so much about it... Sounds like a good time but I bet I'd have been embarrassed.
    Aaron
  • Post #4 - January 27th, 2005, 8:55 am
    Post #4 - January 27th, 2005, 8:55 am Post #4 - January 27th, 2005, 8:55 am
    sti3 wrote:Sounds like a good time but I bet I'd have been embarrassed.

I don't think so...surely some people there were good at the ID part of the game, but most were just people who liked wine and were looking for a pleasant way to pass time. The whole thing was quite casual and how much ignorance (or knowledge) you displayed was completely up to you.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more