LTH Home

Metaxa

Metaxa
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Metaxa

Post #1 - October 9th, 2010, 3:00 pm
    Post #1 - October 9th, 2010, 3:00 pm Post #1 - October 9th, 2010, 3:00 pm
    I've been drinking 7 Star Metaxa Greek brandy for many years. For those familiar with it, you know the difference between the 5 and 7 star versions. However, in the past year or so, my palate seems to have noticed a deterioration in the taste of the 7 star product, to the point where it seems more like how I remember the 5 star version tasted. Am I alone in this perception?
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
  • Post #2 - October 11th, 2010, 1:08 pm
    Post #2 - October 11th, 2010, 1:08 pm Post #2 - October 11th, 2010, 1:08 pm
    I guess I'm the only one here who drinks this stuff. :P
  • Post #3 - October 11th, 2010, 7:47 pm
    Post #3 - October 11th, 2010, 7:47 pm Post #3 - October 11th, 2010, 7:47 pm
    After 35+ years dining in Greektown, I only drink Metaxa Grand Fine...

http://www.grandwinecellar.com/sku12990.html?utm_source=Shopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=METAXA%20GRAND%20FINE%2080@%20BRANDY
    Charter member of PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
  • Post #4 - October 12th, 2010, 3:28 pm
    Post #4 - October 12th, 2010, 3:28 pm Post #4 - October 12th, 2010, 3:28 pm
    Cogito - you're not alone! But my palate has a tough time distinguishing between the 5* and 7*. I put this to a serious test during my honeymoon (first marriage) in Greece. However, I do taste a BIG difference between the 7* at the 50-year (or so it's advertised) that is sold in the nice-looking presentation ceramic vessels. This rendition is my ne plus ultra brandy - I like it even better than the couple XO's I've had and it's less expensive.

Now - if you wanna really stretch your tastebuds, tie in to some Zamoura :shock:

Davooda
    Life is a garden, Dude - DIG IT!
    -- anonymous Colorado snowboarder whizzing past me March 2010
  • Post #5 - October 12th, 2010, 7:01 pm
    Post #5 - October 12th, 2010, 7:01 pm Post #5 - October 12th, 2010, 7:01 pm
    I wonder if it has anything to do with the alcohol level? I used to only drink the 92 proof 7 star, but now can only find the 80 proof.
  • Post #6 - February 4th, 2015, 3:18 pm
    Post #6 - February 4th, 2015, 3:18 pm Post #6 - February 4th, 2015, 3:18 pm
    Hi Cogito! No, you're not the only Metaxa fan. I was introduced to the 5 star on Mykonos by my Greek colleague in early 1970s, and I've been an avid fan ever since. However, about 3 years ago I bought a bottle from a shop in Bingley West Yorkshire near where I live and the flavour had changed dramatically. You say you can remember what 5 star tastes like -buy a bottle now and tell me what you think. It has changed from a lovely fruity flavour to something like caustic soda.

It was so bad that, after first thinking my taste was off that day and putting it away to try later, I found later it was not my taste. I know one's personal taste capability can wane with the years but this was so bad that it wouldn't even mix it with dry ginger (sacrilege I know, but I was desparate!). No kidding -it was so bad I couldn't find it in me to give it away, I poured it down the sink, would you believe.

What finally got me into action was another colleague, who knew I was a Metaxa fan, bought me a litre on his Crete holiday, and sure enough this was also bad -a whole litre. I thought I'm not pouring this away so I got in touch with Metaxa and mailed it off to them for analysis. They wrote back saying "It has not changed significantly". I said the change was bad enough for me to pour half a bottle down the sink and, as a research chemist, I offered to look over their results and point out where they had gone wrong free of charge but they declined.

After waiting further, in vain, for some token of compensation for the litre I sent them I asked point blank, and they have now sent me a 70cl bottle of their new stuff -12 star, just received today. It tastes very much like the old 5 star I've always known, but it's more expensive.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more