LTH Home

Bourbon for a Gift

Bourbon for a Gift
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - December 22nd, 2011, 2:59 pm
    Post #31 - December 22nd, 2011, 2:59 pm Post #31 - December 22nd, 2011, 2:59 pm
    Matt wrote:
    kl1191 wrote:False or misleading marketing is where I draw the line. There may be motive for bottlers to appear to be "making" the product they sell, but that pressure should be addressed by educating the consumer on why you believe your product is superior, not making it harder to determine where a product actually came from.

I think this is the key point. My perception is...

Thanks, I intentionally didn't name any companies because I don't have sources close at hand to back up my perception, and these are grey areas to begin with that frequently come down to intent. Personally, I have a particular dislike for a brand of rye (which hasn't been mentioned here) that I feel has been less than transparent about its source. But, that's just my opinion, and if I were in the business, I would hate to have my integrity judged based on the loose talk of potentially un(der)informed consumers who may or may not be inebriated. Many simply don't draw the distinction between bottler and producer and have no problem going on about this great new product "made" in/by X. It's more likely than not that they got the impression because they don't understand the distinction, not because of anything inherently unsavory done by the seller. I may be more forgiving than most, but I tend to give the companies plenty of rope and hope they don't hang themselves.
  • Post #32 - December 29th, 2011, 9:08 pm
    Post #32 - December 29th, 2011, 9:08 pm Post #32 - December 29th, 2011, 9:08 pm
    I like the Rose's single barrel.
  • Post #33 - December 30th, 2011, 3:03 pm
    Post #33 - December 30th, 2011, 3:03 pm Post #33 - December 30th, 2011, 3:03 pm
    I wasn't sure where to post this but this thread seems as good a place as any. A friend sent me a link to an interesting article at the New York Times website about the booming bourbon industry . . .

at NYTimes.com, Mickey Meece wrote:Bourbon is one product America still makes better than anyone else — and, in at least one way, it always will be. That is because Congress decreed in 1964 that “bourbon whiskey is a distinctive product of the United States.” Three elements make bourbon unique: American corn, pure limestone water and new, charred oak barrels.

Regardless, people here and abroad are drinking more of it these days. Global supplier sales of bourbon and Tennessee whiskey are expected to reach $3.8 billion this year, versus $3.7 billion in 2010, according to a forecast from Euromonitor International. (Bourbon is a type of whiskey, so researchers group them together.)

Distillers are expanding their market with premium small-batch and single-barrel products, along with flavor infusions like honey, cherry and spice. Among the whiskey brands likely to be sitting under Christmas trees this year are the industry’s top five: Jack Daniel’s, from Brown-Forman; Jim Beam, from Beam Inc.; Evan Williams, from Heaven Hill Distilleries; Maker’s Mark, also from Beam; and Early Times, also from Brown-Forman, according to the 2011 Liquor Handbook.

“Bourbon is growing at a faster rate than the total spirits category and outperforming most of the other spirit segments,” declared Danny Brager, vice president of the beverage alcohol team for Nielsen. Still, in total dollar sales, bourbon ranks fourth behind vodka, rum and cordials.

Bourbon’s All-American Roar

The piece also includes a couple of quotes from Chicagoans -- Sable bartender Fred Sarkis and whiskey expert Chuck Cowdery.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #34 - March 5th, 2015, 12:54 pm
    Post #34 - March 5th, 2015, 12:54 pm Post #34 - March 5th, 2015, 12:54 pm
    I did some searching on this topic, but nothing came up. Any suggestions for a bottle of bourbon priced around 50 dollars? I have a friend who doing me a small favor and I think a decent bottle of bourbon would be a great way to say thank you. He used to drink various woodford reserves, but lately I've seen him ordering bullet (I know, I know). He prefers to to sip bourbon neat.

The 50 dollar price point is flexible, so I can go higher if there's a big jump in quality.

Thanks in advance!
  • Post #35 - March 5th, 2015, 1:14 pm
    Post #35 - March 5th, 2015, 1:14 pm Post #35 - March 5th, 2015, 1:14 pm
    Blanton's? It's a very fine juice and comes in right around that price point (and can frequently be found in cloth bag in a box). Personally, I prefer Henry McKenna 10-year or Elijah Craig 12-year but they're both considerably cheaper, so they may not work in this case . . . though, you could gift your friend 1 of each. :)

=R=
  • Post #36 - March 5th, 2015, 2:26 pm
    Post #36 - March 5th, 2015, 2:26 pm Post #36 - March 5th, 2015, 2:26 pm
    I'd recommend Blanton's or a Four Roses Single Barrel selected by Binny's. Both come in around $50-$60.
  • Post #37 - March 5th, 2015, 3:00 pm
    Post #37 - March 5th, 2015, 3:00 pm Post #37 - March 5th, 2015, 3:00 pm
    the wimperoo wrote:I'd recommend Blanton's or a Four Roses Single Barrel selected by Binny's. Both come in around $50-$60.

The 4-R Single Barrel is a great call. Just make sure to get the barrel proof. The 100 proof is more frequently available but at a lower price, like high $30's. There are, I believe, 2 different mashbills and 5 different yeast strains used in their boubon, so if you know your friend's palate/preferences, you can zero in on something he or she might really like.

There's great info about the 4-letter codes that appear on each bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel here.

=R=
  • Post #38 - March 5th, 2015, 5:47 pm
    Post #38 - March 5th, 2015, 5:47 pm Post #38 - March 5th, 2015, 5:47 pm
    One that comes in just around $50 is the Bowman single-barrel offered under the "John J. Bowman" label (100 proof, $49.99 at Binny's, but no age statement if that's a deal-breaker for you or your friend). This is a Sazerac/Buffalo Trace distillate that is further distilled and then barreled in Virginia, so has the novelty of being a "Virginia bourbon" and thus a conversation piece/corrective for the "bourbon has to come from Kentucky" crowd.
  • Post #39 - March 5th, 2015, 7:16 pm
    Post #39 - March 5th, 2015, 7:16 pm Post #39 - March 5th, 2015, 7:16 pm
    Lloyd Cole suggests on his FB page: "There are lots of great bourbons but this might just be my favourite. Certainly the best bang for your buck amongst the high enders. Special thanks to Headliners in Louisville for alerting me to 'Four Roses' resurgence" -

http://fourrosesbourbon.com/bourbon/single-barrel/

Also playing at Old Town:

http://www.oldtownschool.org/concerts/2 ... -cole-8pm/
    Reading is a right. Censorship is not.
  • Post #40 - March 5th, 2015, 10:31 pm
    Post #40 - March 5th, 2015, 10:31 pm Post #40 - March 5th, 2015, 10:31 pm
    Yeah, Lloyd Cole on the money. Four Roses across the board is super solid (I love the small batch) but all the single barrel varieties are great and relatively easy to find.
  • Post #41 - March 6th, 2015, 8:11 am
    Post #41 - March 6th, 2015, 8:11 am Post #41 - March 6th, 2015, 8:11 am
    I've been a bourbon drinker for decades, but lately I've been enjoying rye more. Your friend might enjoy a nice bottle of Bulliet 95 Rye (my favorite). A 1.75 ml bottle goes for around $52.

I haven't tried it yet, but Woodford Reserve has just come out with a rye.
  • Post #42 - March 6th, 2015, 8:53 am
    Post #42 - March 6th, 2015, 8:53 am Post #42 - March 6th, 2015, 8:53 am
    Vittrick wrote:I've been a bourbon drinker for decades, but lately I've been enjoying rye more. Your friend might enjoy a nice bottle of Bulliet 95 Rye (my favorite). A 1.75 ml bottle goes for around $52.

I thought Bulliet Rye only came in 750s and the bourbon is the only offering of theirs in 1.75s
  • Post #43 - March 6th, 2015, 12:47 pm
    Post #43 - March 6th, 2015, 12:47 pm Post #43 - March 6th, 2015, 12:47 pm
    ziggy wrote:
    Vittrick wrote:I've been a bourbon drinker for decades, but lately I've been enjoying rye more. Your friend might enjoy a nice bottle of Bulliet 95 Rye (my favorite). A 1.75 ml bottle goes for around $52.

I thought Bulliet Rye only came in 750s and the bourbon is the only offering of theirs in 1.75s

I buy Bulleit Rye in 1.75 on a regular basis, although I don't see it listed on Binny's website. It's at the Costco in Mettawa, so I assume it's available elsewhere.
  • Post #44 - March 6th, 2015, 4:00 pm
    Post #44 - March 6th, 2015, 4:00 pm Post #44 - March 6th, 2015, 4:00 pm
    I appreciate all the suggestions! Four Roses Single Barrel sounds prefect.
  • Post #45 - March 6th, 2015, 11:56 pm
    Post #45 - March 6th, 2015, 11:56 pm Post #45 - March 6th, 2015, 11:56 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    the wimperoo wrote:I'd recommend Blanton's or a Four Roses Single Barrel selected by Binny's. Both come in around $50-$60.

The 4-R Single Barrel is a great call. Just make sure to get the barrel proof. The 100 proof is more frequently available but at a lower price, like high $30's. There are, I believe, 2 different mashbills and 5 different yeast strains used in their boubon, so if you know your friend's palate/preferences, you can zero in on something he or she might really like.

There's great info about the 4-letter codes that appear on each bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel here.

=R=

OBSK FTW.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #46 - March 7th, 2015, 12:07 am
    Post #46 - March 7th, 2015, 12:07 am Post #46 - March 7th, 2015, 12:07 am
    Kman wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

OBSK FTW.

I think OESF is my favorite -- I prefer the mashbill with less rye -- but more research is needed. :wink:

=R=
  • Post #47 - March 7th, 2015, 8:17 am
    Post #47 - March 7th, 2015, 8:17 am Post #47 - March 7th, 2015, 8:17 am
    Willett Pot Still is another that would be a cool gift. The bottle is awesome. Availability is a bit more difficult. I've seen it around at some smaller random stores, but not at Binny's for a month or two. Price fluctuates pretty widely. I think $37-$40 is the normal price, but I've seen it priced up to $50 at some of the other places.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more