LTH Home

Three Dots and a Dash •••— Paul McGee's Tiki Bar

Three Dots and a Dash •••— Paul McGee's Tiki Bar
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 5
  • Post #61 - September 9th, 2013, 10:51 pm
    Post #61 - September 9th, 2013, 10:51 pm Post #61 - September 9th, 2013, 10:51 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:Personally, your friends' and friends of friends' comments and their effect on you don't really contribute anything to the information in this thread, which is the purpose, no? Aren't there better sites for that sort of thing? Facebook or Twitter come to mind...


    Actually, I do think it's legitimate to mention that one has heard bad things -- but then one needs to weigh that against the good things one has heard, and not take a stand in a discussion based on one set of opinions. A strong stand/opinion should be built on one's own experience. People should definitely be able to share what they have heard, for good or ill -- because sometimes that's all we have to go on -- but a secondhand opinion doesn't really work as a position in a debate.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

    http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #62 - September 10th, 2013, 5:16 pm
    Post #62 - September 10th, 2013, 5:16 pm Post #62 - September 10th, 2013, 5:16 pm
    I appreciate the defense, to be honest. I haven't said anything negative about the place myself, because I have not been. Nor have I been trying to poo on anyone's parade. I just thought it surprising that so many of my friends and colleagues have been and have an opinion and that they have been largely negative or let-down is all. Really, I can't think of the last time this has happened, where my various friends and acquaintances have been universally meh on a place, which I admit is intriguing in its own right! But back to my first post, as much as I love you guys dearly and respect your opinions, it's my friends and colleagues I got out with, and they don't want to go back. And I do believe that serves at least some purpose, assuming we all value LTH more than, say, Yelp. I'd like to believe we all serve as filters to some extent from the random drive-by anono critics. And that includes passing on information from respective sources we each value and trust. If LTHForum were nothing but first-hand accounts of trips to various restaurants, it would not be a forum, it would be a blog. A forum entails discussion, and discussion entails incorporating information. If Yelp was universally negative, like 100%, I'd probably bring that up, too.
  • Post #63 - September 10th, 2013, 5:24 pm
    Post #63 - September 10th, 2013, 5:24 pm Post #63 - September 10th, 2013, 5:24 pm
    Vitesse98 wrote:I appreciate the defense, to be honest. I haven't said anything negative about the place myself, because I have not been. Nor have I been trying to poo on anyone's parade. I just thought it surprising that so many of my friends and colleagues have been and have an opinion and that they have been largely negative or let-down is all. Really, I can't think of the last time this has happened, where my various friends and acquaintances have been universally meh on a place, which I admit is intriguing in its own right! But back to my first post, as much as I love you guys dearly and respect your opinions, it's my friends and colleagues I got out with, and they don't want to go back. And I do believe that serves at least some purpose, assuming we all value LTH more than, say, Yelp. I'd like to believe we all serve as filters to some extent from the random drive-by anono critics. And that includes passing on information from respective sources we each value and trust. If LTHForum were nothing but first-hand accounts of trips to various restaurants, it would not be a forum, it would be a blog. A forum entails discussion, and discussion entails incorporating information. If Yelp was universally negative, like 100%, I'd probably bring that up, too.

    I believe such opinions probably only have value to you, and no one else. And that's fine but they're largely irrelevant to me because I have no idea who these people are. I avoid posting hearsay but that's just me. If you ever go to 3 Dots, I'd love to know what you think because, based on other opinions of your own that you've posted here, that might be of some value to me.

    =R=
    If I asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said faster horses --Henry Ford

    Without wood, barbecue wouldn’t be barbecue -- Aaron Franklin

    Freedom demands that those in power allow others to think for themselves.

    I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I ain't perfect but God knows I try --Todd Snider
  • Post #64 - September 10th, 2013, 5:50 pm
    Post #64 - September 10th, 2013, 5:50 pm Post #64 - September 10th, 2013, 5:50 pm
    I went last night and actually enjoyed it more than I was expecting.

    I enjoy rum on its own, but usually steer clear of rum cocktails because they tend to be fruity and sweet, flavors I typically avoid in my cocktails. I started off with a Three Dots followed by a Pago Pago. I enjoyed both drinks though neither did much to sway my opinion on rum cocktails. They're complex and spirit forward for sure, and I do appreciate the artistry that goes into the presentation, but they're just not my kind of drink. That said I did find them refreshing and would gladly order the Three Dots again.

    I got to try my friend's Mai Tai and that was easily my favorite menu cocktail of the night. The housemade macadamia orgeat was savory and rich which balanced out the lime and mint beautifully. I requested a drink that really highlights agricole rhum and the bartender made me a Ti Punch. It's a simple drink made with lime, cane syrup, and lots of agricole. The agricole show case was an eye opener for me. The Mai Tai, Ti Punch, and the Baby Darling I recently enjoyed at Billy Sunday have me reconsidering my stance on rum. All were delicious and enjoyable in totally different ways. Rum has a lot more range than I realized and Three Dots is a great place to explore.

    We ordered a good amount of food as well. I won't go into much detail because most of it was pretty uninteresting. It's yuppified SE Asian food (thai fried chicken, papaya salad, spring rolls, etc) and the flavors were mostly sweet and boring.
  • Post #65 - September 10th, 2013, 5:52 pm
    Post #65 - September 10th, 2013, 5:52 pm Post #65 - September 10th, 2013, 5:52 pm
    turkob wrote:We ordered a good amount of food as well. I won't go into much detail because most of it was pretty uninteresting. It's yuppified SE Asian food (thai fried chicken, papaya salad, spring rolls, etc) and the flavors were mostly sweet and boring.


    No Pu Pu Platter or Cosmo Tidbits?
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #66 - September 10th, 2013, 6:03 pm
    Post #66 - September 10th, 2013, 6:03 pm Post #66 - September 10th, 2013, 6:03 pm
    No, but they had rice puffs with pineapple guacamole.
  • Post #67 - September 11th, 2013, 3:42 pm
    Post #67 - September 11th, 2013, 3:42 pm Post #67 - September 11th, 2013, 3:42 pm
    First post here so excuse a random guy bombing in on you but I had to chime in with some thoughts on Three Dots and a Dash.

    Since it's opening I have ben 9 or 10 times... I really dug it the first time I went and now go once or twice a week.

    I have been baffled by the few negative reviews I have seen (on Yelp or here). Every person I have been with and every person I have discussed it with ranges from really enjoying it to loving it... not one even slightly negative thought.

    After a while I realized what is going on, there are in essence two different Three Dots and a Dash.

    There is the laid back Tiki bar with kick ass drinks served in great mugs with cool garnishes by a fun wait staff. This version has a PERFECT tiki vibe and just NAILS it. Everything from the physical menu (that perfectly mimics the original tiki menus of the 60's) to the swizzle sticks to the lighting and the music and the decor... it is all just fantastic. This version seems to exist Sunday - Wednesday, especially early (though it can get a big after work crowd) and sometimes during a dinner lull around 8:00. Also Saturday early (5:00 - 7:00 or so) it has a slightly more buzzy feeling but is still great.
    It is also mandatory in my opinion to get a table or a lounge seat with a low table in front of you. Wait if you have to... you need to be seated to enjoy this place (and the food).

    Then there is the version of Three Dots and a Dash that exists late night or even during Happy Hour Thursday and Friday. This is a loud, packed bar (and even a full on club late on the weekend) where you cannot hear the person next to you... you cannot move, the bartenders are overworked and frat dudes are high fiving each other (and sometimes ordering Bud Lights). I don't blame anyone for wanting to avoid this version. it is not really a tiki bar or even a tiki club at that point... it's just a loud place with a bunch of peopel jammed together and pretty much the anthishisis of what peopel want from a tiki bar.

    But trust me... go when it is not crowded and you will find an awesome spot with a really great staff, fantastic drinks and the PERFECT atmosphere for this type of place.

    As forthe food... they recently revised the menu and in my mind they made some both good and bad moves... they lost what I considered the best thing on the mneu (beef negamaki) but added other more popular options. The worst I can say about the food is that it is over priced. In the case of the ribs (5 spare ribs for $16) grossly so. But I also think the style of the food perfectly matches the drinks. It's fun and complimentarty. While I agree the food in and of itself is not the reason to come (and in fact I think they are surprised by how much food they actually sell) I do for the most part thing it fits the bill well.
  • Post #68 - September 11th, 2013, 3:48 pm
    Post #68 - September 11th, 2013, 3:48 pm Post #68 - September 11th, 2013, 3:48 pm
    Vitesse98 wrote:I appreciate the defense, to be honest. I haven't said anything negative about the place myself, because I have not been. Nor have I been trying to poo on anyone's parade. I just thought it surprising that so many of my friends and colleagues have been and have an opinion and that they have been largely negative or let-down is all. Really, I can't think of the last time this has happened, where my various friends and acquaintances have been universally meh on a place, which I admit is intriguing in its own right! But back to my first post, as much as I love you guys dearly and respect your opinions, it's my friends and colleagues I got out with, and they don't want to go back. And I do believe that serves at least some purpose, assuming we all value LTH more than, say, Yelp. I'd like to believe we all serve as filters to some extent from the random drive-by anono critics. And that includes passing on information from respective sources we each value and trust. If LTHForum were nothing but first-hand accounts of trips to various restaurants, it would not be a forum, it would be a blog. A forum entails discussion, and discussion entails incorporating information. If Yelp was universally negative, like 100%, I'd probably bring that up, too.


    The problem is we don't know your friends, and therefore can't evaluate their style, taste, etc., etc., etc.
  • Post #69 - September 11th, 2013, 3:55 pm
    Post #69 - September 11th, 2013, 3:55 pm Post #69 - September 11th, 2013, 3:55 pm
    Teevtee wrote:First post here so excuse a random guy bombing in on you but I had to chime in with some thoughts on Three Dots and a Dash.

    Since it's opening I have ben 9 or 10 times... I really dug it the first time I went and now go once or twice a week.

    I have been baffled by the few negative reviews I have seen (on Yelp or here). Every person I have been with and every person I have discussed it with ranges from really enjoying it to loving it... not one even slightly negative thought.

    After a while I realized what is going on, there are in essence two different Three Dots and a Dash.

    There is the laid back Tiki bar with kick ass drinks served in great mugs with cool garnishes by a fun wait staff. This version has a PERFECT tiki vibe and just NAILS it. Everything from the physical menu (that perfectly mimics the original tiki menus of the 60's) to the swizzle sticks to the lighting and the music and the decor... it is all just fantastic. This version seems to exist Sunday - Wednesday, especially early (though it can get a big after work crowd) and sometimes during a dinner lull around 8:00. Also Saturday early (5:00 - 7:00 or so) it has a slightly more buzzy feeling but is still great.
    It is also mandatory in my opinion to get a table or a lounge seat with a low table in front of you. Wait if you have to... you need to be seated to enjoy this place (and the food).

    Then there is the version of Three Dots and a Dash that exists late night or even during Happy Hour Thursday and Friday. This is a loud, packed bar (and even a full on club late on the weekend) where you cannot hear the person next to you... you cannot move, the bartenders are overworked and frat dudes are high fiving each other (and sometimes ordering Bud Lights). I don't blame anyone for wanting to avoid this version. it is not really a tiki bar or even a tiki club at that point... it's just a loud place with a bunch of peopel jammed together and pretty much the anthishisis of what peopel want from a tiki bar.

    But trust me... go when it is not crowded and you will find an awesome spot with a really great staff, fantastic drinks and the PERFECT atmosphere for this type of place.

    As forthe food... they recently revised the menu and in my mind they made some both good and bad moves... they lost what I considered the best thing on the mneu (beef negamaki) but added other more popular options. The worst I can say about the food is that it is over priced. In the case of the ribs (5 spare ribs for $16) grossly so. But I also think the style of the food perfectly matches the drinks. It's fun and complimentarty. While I agree the food in and of itself is not the reason to come (and in fact I think they are surprised by how much food they actually sell) I do for the most part thing it fits the bill well.


    Very interesting and no doubt right on point. I've only been during the "desirable" times you mention above and with a table....I can see how the scene(s) you describe would result in very different experiences.
  • Post #70 - September 11th, 2013, 4:28 pm
    Post #70 - September 11th, 2013, 4:28 pm Post #70 - September 11th, 2013, 4:28 pm
    A coupel other points:

    1) While I have not personally wittnessed Red Bull and Vodka orders there I am 100% sure they happen all the time... but who cares? If someone is new to the Tiki idea it can seem overwhelming. Falling back on a safe order is just a reaction to not wanting to feel stupid. Yes, it misses the point, yes, in fact that order makes them look a little silly but none of this affects you and the people I have encountered there have all been great. They have ranged from regulars and the Whistler coming down to check it out to a mom and daughter in from the burbs for a big night out... hipsters and suburbenites side aby side and getting along just swell.

    2) Because 90% of people order tiki drinks based on what mug it comes it (sad but true... like cheap wine and the labels on the bottles) 3 Dots is revising it's policy of having random mugs. I was told that they will revise the menu and once that happens all the drinks will come in the mugs pictured. I think this sort of sucks because it limits the variety of mugs (something I love) but I also think it will avoid confusion.

    3) If you come with friends, get a booth, go early and have even a slight interest in the genre you will have a great time. I'd avoid late night weekends like the plague.
  • Post #71 - September 11th, 2013, 6:21 pm
    Post #71 - September 11th, 2013, 6:21 pm Post #71 - September 11th, 2013, 6:21 pm
    Teevtee wrote:2) Because 90% of people order tiki drinks based on what mug it comes it (sad but true... like cheap wine and the labels on the bottles) 3 Dots is revising it's policy of having random mugs. I was told that they will revise the menu and once that happens all the drinks will come in the mugs pictured. I think this sort of sucks because it limits the variety of mugs (something I love) but I also think it will avoid confusion.


    I think this is a great idea and it shows Paul's willingness to improve the experience.

    I was a little disappointed about the random mugs when Three Dots opened. I told Paul I thought it would be much cooler to match specific mugs to the menu/drinks because doing so builds drink identity, adds to the overall fun and eventually, the lore of the joint. "Remember back in 2013 when the Zombie Punch came in those huge crystal skull glasses? Or the Mai Tai's in the coconuts? Yeah those were so cool!"

    Many classic tiki drinks gained notoriety because of their glasses, mugs, ice preps and garnishes. The premier tiki bar in the country, Mai Kai in Ft. Lauderdale (which has an interesting Chicago connection for those who care), still does it today. One of the best parts about walking in to Mai Kai is looking down the bar during happy hour and seeing 20 Barrels O' Rum or Black Magics lined up down the pass. It's easy to gauge the vibe of the room and it adds to the fun to see what everyone else is ordering.

    As an aside, we've been to Three Dots three times and consider it one of our faves. Paul is a gracious host and one of the nicest (and most humble) bartenders in Chicago. We talked some geeky tiki stuff on my birthday and he definitely made it a night to remember.
  • Post #72 - September 11th, 2013, 6:35 pm
    Post #72 - September 11th, 2013, 6:35 pm Post #72 - September 11th, 2013, 6:35 pm
    The standard way of doing it is locking specific mugs to specific drinks and truth be told they already do that with all the punches and several of the drinks. So it's probably a wise move. Only down side is less variety of mugs floating around the tables. I enjoyed everyone having a different mug even if they ordered the same drink.

    Another sort if odd ball thing: the new 3 Dots sea urchin mug is awesome but is not used to serve drinks in!
    I'm assuming it is for fear of theft (a massive problem I assume and also annoying as he'll). The will serve you in an urchin but only if you request it AND purchase the mug ($20 for the mug alone).

    I think they are still trying to figure out how to handle the mug / theft issue. I fear they will go to cheaper more generic mugs which would suck.

    It's been open about a month and has already changed to food menu, added a smaller version of the Zombie, released their first custom mug, revised the mug/drink policy and added a huge rum menu with many non tiki rum drinks.

    They certainly are able and willing to adjust and change.
    Last edited by Teevtee on September 11th, 2013, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #73 - September 11th, 2013, 9:11 pm
    Post #73 - September 11th, 2013, 9:11 pm Post #73 - September 11th, 2013, 9:11 pm
    I wonder how they can handle the theft issue. Maybe a deposit? Or you can't close your tab without returning your mugs (or if you close w/o mugs you are charged)?
  • Post #74 - September 11th, 2013, 9:36 pm
    Post #74 - September 11th, 2013, 9:36 pm Post #74 - September 11th, 2013, 9:36 pm
    I have spoken to them about this and there is no clear easy way.
    Yes they could have a deposit for every drink but who wants that and it will lead to arguments and accusations and so on.

    I have heard stories of people jamming giant crystal skulls into purses and twice I have witnessed people stealing glasses.

    I have also noticed that some of the more unique mugs seem to be gone and cheaper more generic ones are popping up.

    I am guessing that the new menu may highlight the custom mug(s) to try and entice people into purchasing them.

    At 6:00 I doubt many are stolen but at 1:00am it's likely a nightmare.

    One point they could improve is giving a price break to those who purchase mugs.
    Right now you're looking at a $33 drink in an urchin mug. Why not drop it to say $25 and include the mug.
  • Post #75 - September 12th, 2013, 9:17 am
    Post #75 - September 12th, 2013, 9:17 am Post #75 - September 12th, 2013, 9:17 am
    They'd have to have inventory storage capacity, but it might not be a bad idea to sell the mugs outright. Have a glass case that shows which mugs are for sale, along with T-shirts and/or Hawaiian shirts printed or embroidered with " •••— Tiki Bar " or something. Treat themselves as if they ARE a tacky tourist bar in a beachy destination.

    Do people ask to buy the mugs and get told no and then steal them or do they just steal them? In places where there are cool beer pints I occasionally have asked if I could buy one and in almost all cases been told "just take it with our compliments" but those are different.
    Leek

    SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #76 - September 12th, 2013, 1:45 pm
    Post #76 - September 12th, 2013, 1:45 pm Post #76 - September 12th, 2013, 1:45 pm
    They have always sold them and that is featured on the menu.
    In fact they sell them for $15 which in many cases is LESS than if you purchased them directly from Tiki-Farm (the manufacturer of several of them). Teh one exception is the new custom ...- Sea Urchin much which is $20.

    They are HAPPY to sell you mugs. They have them brand new in boxes and bags and bring them out to your table to go... I am sure they did this in an attempt to thwart theft... they are saying "hey guys... we know you will want these so for pretty much cost you can have them!" and still peopel steal them because that is just how people are. Remember these are not free logo glasses from a beer company or something... they are costly items that really help set the mood.

    I am glad they don't sell t-shirts or have a glass case of stuff because it starts to turn into the Hardrock Cafe or somehting at that point.

    My solution would be to use the nice mugs until 9:00 or so and then start pulling them and use more generic (but still themed" glasses as the night gets later and theft is more likely.

    Another fairly simple solution is just to have the waitresses mark down how many glasses each table has and then have the bus boys somehow cross check when they clear the tables... but that is another point of confusion and then may lead to finger pointing and so on... It's a surprisingly touch thing to solve.
  • Post #77 - September 12th, 2013, 3:44 pm
    Post #77 - September 12th, 2013, 3:44 pm Post #77 - September 12th, 2013, 3:44 pm
    Have the server:
    Take the drink orders
    Bring the mugs to the table
    Clear the mugs when it's time for the next round, thereby making sure no missing mugs

    I'm sure there's reasons against this, but ... ?
    fine words butter no parsnips
  • Post #78 - September 12th, 2013, 3:51 pm
    Post #78 - September 12th, 2013, 3:51 pm Post #78 - September 12th, 2013, 3:51 pm
    I agree Roger it woudl seem that simple... but when they start to get busy they have bus boys doing most of the clearing... then you have people getting up and walking around the bar to other tables etc. with drinks in hand.
    Of course you also have those who sort of milk the drink to the end... then jam it in a purse or bag and run out.

    In fact I was even told that people will purchase a mug, therefore being given a bag with the boxed mug in it.. .then use THAT bag to smuggle out other mugs.
    I have had people tell me that they WANT you to take the mugs since they have thier names on them... like free advertising or something... it's crazy.

    Some tiki bars serve only in traditional glassware (albeit maybe in the shape of bamboo) and reserve the mugs for those who purchase them with drinks.
    In other words if you want to drink out of a cool mug you in essence have to by the mug first... this seems how three dots is headed with the custom Sea Urchin mug.

    That's all well and good but then so much of the fun is gone. I am not going to buy new mugs every time I go... can I bring my old mug back for a refill?
    I just wish people would respect what is going on... no one REALLY thinks it is OK to jam these in your pants and run out and yet after a few drinks all logic goes out the door.
  • Post #79 - September 12th, 2013, 4:09 pm
    Post #79 - September 12th, 2013, 4:09 pm Post #79 - September 12th, 2013, 4:09 pm
    Teevtee wrote:...no one REALLY thinks it is OK to jam these in your pants and run out and yet after a few drinks all logic goes out the door.


    There's another thread somewhere about this. I was at Avec and noted that the hand moisturizer in the washroom was scented so didn't use it - I want to smell my wine and food, not hand lotion. But I intended to go back and try it before leaving. Well when I went back it was gone! Someone must have put the whole bottle into her purse. You can afford to eat at Avec, but have to steal a bottle of moisturizer? As they say "this is why we can't have nice things".
    Leek

    SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #80 - September 13th, 2013, 11:14 am
    Post #80 - September 13th, 2013, 11:14 am Post #80 - September 13th, 2013, 11:14 am
    Trying to take my wife after the Book of Mormon tomorrow. Am I totally screwed in terms of line?
  • Post #81 - September 13th, 2013, 11:42 am
    Post #81 - September 13th, 2013, 11:42 am Post #81 - September 13th, 2013, 11:42 am
    Yes.
    Honestly I would never go Saturday night. It will not be the low key tiki lounge experience you are looking for.

    Can you go early? Before the play? They open at 5:00 and it will be fine for a couple hours.
    I'd get there right when they open if you can... you stroll in, grab a table and enjoy yourself in a perfect lounge ebvironment before the crowds come later.
  • Post #82 - September 13th, 2013, 4:09 pm
    Post #82 - September 13th, 2013, 4:09 pm Post #82 - September 13th, 2013, 4:09 pm
    Planning to leave work early to grab a spot and sip some tiki ... definitely needed this evening! Bring on the kitsch!
  • Post #83 - September 13th, 2013, 5:43 pm
    Post #83 - September 13th, 2013, 5:43 pm Post #83 - September 13th, 2013, 5:43 pm
    Nice review in Time Out today: http://www.timeoutchicago.com/restauran ... bar-review
  • Post #84 - September 13th, 2013, 8:43 pm
    Post #84 - September 13th, 2013, 8:43 pm Post #84 - September 13th, 2013, 8:43 pm
    Well we actually did leave work early - good drinks were a good incentive - and hit Three Dots and a Dash. Arriving right at five we had no trouble getting a table and felt unrushed and uncrowded. By the time we left at 7:30, there was a line waiting to get in outside. While there was quite a crowd at the bar, we were happily relaxed at our table. Service was great - our waitress was Claire and she gave super guidance to first timers and kept us taken care of without in any way feeling pushed. We shared two orders of the Thai Fried Chicken, a Papaya Salad, an order of Coconut Shrimp and an order of the Spareribs - all were really tasty and perfect with the range of drinks. The chicken was my favorite and the papaya salad had just the right bite for me.

    I stuck to two Three Dots and a Dash - it was just such a nicely balanced, tasty and sipable drink - friends had the Tall as a Tree and Twice as Shady, Jet Pilots, a Saturn, a Rum River Mystic and a Bunny's Banana Daiquiri - all were really enjoyed and everyone commented on how well each mixed flavors, avoiding the expected too sweet taste and even pleasing a British colleague who was planning to stick to beer.

    While the Friday happy hour crowd was definitely way younger than me, there's was no sense of being stuck in the river north meat market scene and I'd happily return at the same time again and again ... though we also agreed that we need to go back during the week to.

    I had almost passed on this evening's outing given some comments above - and I may not have enjoyed it as much if we had gone later in the evening - but I am so glad I did not listen to the negativity as this was a really good cocktail time for us.

    McGee was making the rounds and was a charming host - he's certainly given us a super new option for decompression and we plan to tiki often!
  • Post #85 - September 13th, 2013, 9:02 pm
    Post #85 - September 13th, 2013, 9:02 pm Post #85 - September 13th, 2013, 9:02 pm
    I'm not even sure there is negativity.

    There are a few people worrying about or assuming things that are just not true.
    There are also a few legit complaints about the crowds.
    But the actual bar, drinks, food and staff will surely delight most anyone who comes and
    is wise enough to avoid the crowds.
  • Post #86 - September 15th, 2013, 11:21 pm
    Post #86 - September 15th, 2013, 11:21 pm Post #86 - September 15th, 2013, 11:21 pm
    Visit two tonight - a colleague was just in from our UK office so we heading to ... - to have a chat and some food. Happiness all around - and a meal of Thai Fried Chicken, Papaya Salad and those spare ribs is very satisfactory!
  • Post #87 - September 16th, 2013, 9:32 am
    Post #87 - September 16th, 2013, 9:32 am Post #87 - September 16th, 2013, 9:32 am
    Saturday night.

    Since my wife was excited about going, I decided that we could give it a run post Book of Mormon Saturday night.

    We got there at 11, 2 people in line, we were in in 2 min.

    Put our name down for a table, they let us know it would be a half hour.

    Went to the bar, got a 3d+d, and a lonely island, both were delish. at this point I realized that my phone wasnt getting reception, so I wanted to drop my wife's number, they had a table ready for us. In the side room, it was great! Much more laid back, loungy, and fun.

    All of the drinks we tried were great, and the 'goon, and shrimp were tasty as well.

    I dont know if I had the "birthday magic" on my side, but my Saturday night experience was great!
  • Post #88 - September 16th, 2013, 11:09 am
    Post #88 - September 16th, 2013, 11:09 am Post #88 - September 16th, 2013, 11:09 am
    See, this is what is so perplexing for me. Everything I read from you guys seems awesome, and I know Paul McGee knows what's-what. And then I read the first 'graf of the (positive) Time Out review:

    There are, it seems, two Three Dots and a Dash. There’s the crowded, noisy Three Dots, where a DJ plays Justin Timberlake and you’re lucky to get a seat—and even if you do, someone will be elbowing you in the back as they urge their friend to “Chug! Chug! Chug!” their marigold-accented tiki drink. Then there’s the serene tiki bar, where you can sit at the raffia-decorated bar and listen to island-themed music while you eat coconut shrimp.

    I just can’t seem to find the second Three Dots.


    Or:

    All but three of the cocktails include rum, and since they’re all more or less variations on the rum-fruit-citrus combination, most of them taste pretty much the same.


    This does not negate (also per the review) having a good time, or a good drink, but it's also very much in line with, um, what my aforementioned discounted friends thought of the place. Now, it looks like I finally get to go next week, if not sooner, so I will see/judge for myself. I can make a pretty mean tiki drink myself (though I certainly appreciate someone who can do it for me), so I'm mostly curious about the vibe/clientele/etc., which is as likely if not more likely to encourage repeat visits than the drinks alone. I guess I'll find out! 8)
  • Post #89 - September 16th, 2013, 2:04 pm
    Post #89 - September 16th, 2013, 2:04 pm Post #89 - September 16th, 2013, 2:04 pm
    Vitesse98 wrote:
    All but three of the cocktails include rum, and since they’re all more or less variations on the rum-fruit-citrus combination, most of them taste pretty much the same.

    This quotation, which you attribute to TOC (and I'll take your word for it because I'm too lazy to look it up :wink:), is troubling for a number of reasons. First, there are actually several drinks on the menu (opens .pdf) that are made with spirits other than rum (Scotch, Bourbon, Genever and Rye to name just a few). In fact, this combining of multiple spirits is something that Paul McGee does better than any other bartender I've ever encountered. Moreover, anyone who thinks that all rums and fruit juices taste the same has a pretty lousy palate and probably should not reviewing bars professionally. But beyond all that, Tiki is Tiki. Is the review of the genre or the bar itself? I truly have to wonder what the reviewer's experience level is. In any case, now that TOC no longer has an actual presence in Chicago, I've stopped reading it.

    =R=
    If I asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said faster horses --Henry Ford

    Without wood, barbecue wouldn’t be barbecue -- Aaron Franklin

    Freedom demands that those in power allow others to think for themselves.

    I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I ain't perfect but God knows I try --Todd Snider
  • Post #90 - September 16th, 2013, 2:46 pm
    Post #90 - September 16th, 2013, 2:46 pm Post #90 - September 16th, 2013, 2:46 pm
    I don't think the above quote does the Time Out review justice. It's a very positive review of the bar, the genre, and the drinks. Yeah, it's kind of a dumb line to say all rum-fruit-citrus drinks taste similar, but the thrust of the rest of the paragraph is that the non-rum drinks are very good also.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more