LTH Home

Where do I find Guarana Antarctica in Chicago?

Where do I find Guarana Antarctica in Chicago?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Where do I find Guarana Antarctica in Chicago?

Post #1 - May 26th, 2005, 4:12 pm
    Post #1 - May 26th, 2005, 4:12 pm Post #1 - May 26th, 2005, 4:12 pm
    Searching for these Brazilian drinks! My husband was born in Brazil, although he's Chinese, and has been searching it. My source, Sendexnet, now only carries diet. :x

OR

• Post #2 - May 26th, 2005, 4:25 pm
    Post #2 - May 26th, 2005, 4:25 pm Post #2 - May 26th, 2005, 4:25 pm
    Well, you can drink them at Sal y Carvao, but it'll cost ya.

Perhaps Brasil Legal, 2153 N. Western?
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #3 - May 26th, 2005, 4:32 pm
    Post #3 - May 26th, 2005, 4:32 pm Post #3 - May 26th, 2005, 4:32 pm
    Hi,

You may want to check Brasil Legal, 2153 N. Western, which is just south of Fullerton. The Brazilian community in Chicago is very tiny. On the southeast corner of Fullerton and Western is a grocery store catering to Brazilians owned and operated by Iraqi's. It is also home to what some suggest is a pretty good slice of pizza.

Another potential angle is via Jorgina Pereira, Chef/Caterer of Sinhá Elegant Brazilian Cuisine. I cannot locate her contact number, but she is doing an event for ChicaGourmets in the next few weeks. You can contact them via www.chicagourmets.com or Tel: 708-383-7543.

If and when you do find it, then please report back.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #4 - May 26th, 2005, 8:50 pm
    Post #4 - May 26th, 2005, 8:50 pm Post #4 - May 26th, 2005, 8:50 pm
    El Mercado, Southport and Grace, has all of the major Guarana brands in cases of cans and 2 litre bottles. Live it up. A lot cheaper than Red Bull, the active ingredient of which is guarine. While El Mercado and La Unica (Cuban first, Colombian second) are not "Brazilian" stores per se, both have a good stock and the stuff is much fresher, IME, than what's on hand at Pepe's #2, the other Brazilian store Cathy mentions. I am not familiar with the groceries at Legal.

I think that the Brazilian community is growing, it is simply "hidden" as far as food and food shops go (and possibly more suburban than city) at this point the way some other fairly upwardly-mobile Latin ethnic groups are here, such as Cuban and Argentine or, to use the Asian example, Japanese.

The Zima version of caipirinha I have never seen. It has to be heinous. Why not buy some cachaca and limes?

PS, interesting about your husband's background. One of my wife's good college friends is Chinese-Uruguayan. His wife is Spanish Uruguayan, and they might be the best-looking couple on Earth.
  • Post #5 - May 26th, 2005, 9:16 pm
    Post #5 - May 26th, 2005, 9:16 pm Post #5 - May 26th, 2005, 9:16 pm
    Wow, thanks everyone. I think I'll try all of them. hehe. I love looking for hidden treasures and much thanks to tips from this board. I'm on vacation right now and am rather restless and so I'm posting like crazy.

Yah weird, I'm Filipino-American raised Navy brat and my husband is Chinese, born in Brazil, and spent time with his Chinese also born Brazilian Aunt and her Finnish husband in the Los Angeles area. I think as far as food goes, we love everything and I know for sure some of his favorite past times were food related. Gosh our kids will probably be food fanatics too. :wink:
  • Post #6 - May 26th, 2005, 9:17 pm
    Post #6 - May 26th, 2005, 9:17 pm Post #6 - May 26th, 2005, 9:17 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

You may want to check Brasil Legal, 2153 N. Western, which is just south of Fullerton. The Brazilian community in Chicago is very tiny. On the southeast corner of Fullerton and Western is a grocery store catering to Brazilians owned and operated by Iraqi's. It is also home to what some suggest is a pretty good slice of pizza.

It's a few blocks south of Fullerton, at about Palmer. (I walk by it twice daily).

If they don't have it, they'll know how to get it. (And I'm not sure about them serving any pizza, but I'll inquire).

Best,
    Michael / EC
  • Post #7 - May 26th, 2005, 9:20 pm
    Post #7 - May 26th, 2005, 9:20 pm Post #7 - May 26th, 2005, 9:20 pm
    eatchicago wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

It's a few blocks south of Fullerton, at about Palmer. (I walk by it twice daily).

If they don't have it, they'll know how to get it. (And I'm not sure about them serving any pizza, but I'll inquire).

Best,
    Michael / EC

Cathy,
    I'm just realizing that you meant separate places in your post. Brazil Legal is separate from the place just south of the gas station at Full. & Western. Brazil Legal is at Palmer & Western. The grocery at Medill & Western is frequented by Latin Americans, they serve mediocre food (including their pizza) but they may also know where to get the Brazillian drinks.

I'd go for Brazil Legal first.

Best,
    Michael / EC
  • Post #8 - May 26th, 2005, 9:38 pm
    Post #8 - May 26th, 2005, 9:38 pm Post #8 - May 26th, 2005, 9:38 pm
    The grocery is Pepe's #2, just south of the gas station on the southeast corner of Fullerton & Western. They used to have a nice butcher shop, and the restaurant used to make a good feijoada on the weekends. Both have slipped a bit, last time I was there there was no fresh meat although they said they were planning to bring one back. They do however, carry several brands of cachaca.

I think Brasil Legal is giving them a run for their money both because of their product lines and because it is, as a place, more brasileiro in its social aspects.

Interesting about the Red Bull. I didn't know it was a guarana drink, I was just mentioning to someone that I was afraid to drink it, and the thought of people adding distilled spirits to it (as you sometimes see advertised) is really scary. But then we live in the time of the cosmo-something and the everything-tini, so....

I will still refrain from Red Bull, as all my experience with guarana has taught me that Antartica is the only way to go. I always have a can or two around the house for when you really need it:-)

I have also seen guarana regularly stocked at Chicago Fruit Market at Montrose and Whipple/Albany, although the brand varies and tends not to be Antartica.

Now for a discussion of good Brazilian chopps.....
  • Post #9 - May 27th, 2005, 12:36 pm
    Post #9 - May 27th, 2005, 12:36 pm Post #9 - May 27th, 2005, 12:36 pm
    A correction: looking at a can of the stuff, the main upper in Red Bull seems to be taurine (I guess that's the bull connection). I know that other US energy drinks contain guarine.
  • Post #10 - May 27th, 2005, 2:19 pm
    Post #10 - May 27th, 2005, 2:19 pm Post #10 - May 27th, 2005, 2:19 pm
    JeffB wrote:A correction: looking at a can of the stuff, the main upper in Red Bull seems to be taurine (I guess that's the bull connection). I know that other US energy drinks contain guarine.

The first of the energy drinks, at least that I'm familiar with, was Bawls. It was flavored with guarana, among others.

It was actually quite good. Not as sickly-sweet as a lot of the more recent ones, and it came in one of the coolest bottles ever mass produced:

http://www.bawls.com
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #11 - May 27th, 2005, 2:57 pm
    Post #11 - May 27th, 2005, 2:57 pm Post #11 - May 27th, 2005, 2:57 pm
    gleam wrote:... and it came in one of the coolest bottles ever mass produced

You into "toys," Ed? :twisted:

Erik M.
  • Post #12 - May 27th, 2005, 4:20 pm
    Post #12 - May 27th, 2005, 4:20 pm Post #12 - May 27th, 2005, 4:20 pm
    I knew he was going to get ribbed for our pleasure about that.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #13 - June 5th, 2005, 12:32 am
    Post #13 - June 5th, 2005, 12:32 am Post #13 - June 5th, 2005, 12:32 am
    So I dropped by Brasil Legal today. Managed to tow away 2 - 12 packs of Guarana at $7 something each. Also packages of both white and regular chocolate BIS, Vigor cream cheese spread (over $4 yikes!), and Yoki tapioca flour (to make pao de quejo, which i hope was right if not it was manioc). Total bill was about 24 buckaroos. :shock: I guess it makes the hubby happy. Oh I must note that the Guarana is cheaper buying there than online at Sendexnet which is $11.90 for a 12 pack. I completely forgot it was that expensive, but they offer free shipping if you order over $40.

Image Image Image

I didn't get to go the other store as I was already in sticker shock. I just need to keep mumbling to myself that food is not the whole way to a man's heart, but damn near half way. :lol: Also I did not order the feojada (which they had some ready to order), because it would've put a deeper whole in my pocket. I was told that it plated up with other trimmings was about $10. I need to hear from others first that its worth every penny before I go diving in. LMK.
  • Post #14 - June 5th, 2005, 9:48 am
    Post #14 - June 5th, 2005, 9:48 am Post #14 - June 5th, 2005, 9:48 am
    Silvana at Brasil Legal is an excellent cook, although she uses a bit more salt than I would. I have not had her feijoada, but have had her black beans, which are cooked with smoked meat and are very good.
  • Post #15 - November 22nd, 2015, 9:57 pm
    Post #15 - November 22nd, 2015, 9:57 pm Post #15 - November 22nd, 2015, 9:57 pm
    Fresh Farms on Touhy currently has Guarana in single cans and 12 packs. $.99 for a can, and $9.99 for a twelve pack.
  • Post #16 - November 24th, 2015, 7:47 pm
    Post #16 - November 24th, 2015, 7:47 pm Post #16 - November 24th, 2015, 7:47 pm
    You haven't had guaraná soda until you have had Guaraná Jesus

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more