LTH Home

Independent coffee places in SE DuPage County?

Independent coffee places in SE DuPage County?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Independent coffee places in SE DuPage County?

Post #1 - November 2nd, 2014, 7:45 pm
    Post #1 - November 2nd, 2014, 7:45 pm Post #1 - November 2nd, 2014, 7:45 pm
    As part of my weight management regimen, I've developed a habit of getting an iced double espresso, sometimes with a sugar-free syrup or a little half and half, from the Starbucks across the street from my downtown office a couple of times a week. I sit there in lieu of a late lunch and think about whatever work topic is troubling me, then go back to my desk and get back to work. If I have more time, I walk to Intelligencia on Jackson, although they tend to look at me as a barbarian once I give my order.

On the weekends, I'd like to get one someplace with more and better seating where I can hang out for an hour or two and read or do some paperwork, and hopefully better coffee than Starbucks. All the Starbucks in my area have ridiculously small seating areas, so I find myself going to the one in Bolingbrook at 53/55 where I feel like I can sit for an hour on a Sunday afternoon and that I'm not taking up valuable seating space for people with fancier and more expensive tastes.

Where do y'all go for your espresso fix out here in suburbia? I don't mind a bit of a drive as I'm often heading up to Pete's in Oakbrook Terrace or to my parents' place near Yorktown - so pretty much anything between 53 and 294 and south of Roosevelt is in play.
    "Fried chicken should unify us, as opposed to tearing us apart. " - Bomani Jones
  • Post #2 - November 3rd, 2014, 12:55 pm
    Post #2 - November 3rd, 2014, 12:55 pm Post #2 - November 3rd, 2014, 12:55 pm
    I used to love Caribou Coffee, located in the same shopping area as Pete's Fresh Market in Oakbrook Terrace, but it closed unceremoniously several months back. There are two that I also like, but they are north of Roosevelt. Elijah's is at 136 W Vallette in Elmhurst, (just west of York St. between Butterfield and St. Charles Road.) It is a cozy spot with tables, couch, comfy chairs. I've sat in there for a couple of hours chatting with a friend.

http://www.elijahscoffee.com/

Another place I like is Funky Java, 40 S. Villa, Villa Park. This place is definitely funky and kitchy. Lot's of local artwork on the wall, mismatched furniture, and a spot for musicians in the back.

http://www.pbforj.com/FJ.html

So again, a bit more Central East Dupage, but the only non-chains in the vicinity.
    Ms. Ingie
    Life is too short, why skip dessert?
  • Post #3 - November 3rd, 2014, 1:37 pm
    Post #3 - November 3rd, 2014, 1:37 pm Post #3 - November 3rd, 2014, 1:37 pm
    Hi- That Caribou is not converting into a Peet's? I used to go to the Caribou in downtown Winnetka, and it was one of the few Caribou's that was supposed to stay the same, but the location is papered over, and they are converting into a Peet's. I have no idea when they are opening up again. They have been closed for at least two months. I personally don't care for Peet's as much as Caribou because their coffee is too strong for me. It is not independent, but are there any Barnes and Nobles in SE DuPage? I realize that they probably sell starbuck's too though. That is one thing nice about Evanston. There are at least seven independent coffee places. I am supposed to meet somebody this afternoon, and they let me pick the coffee house, and I chose an independent. I am not a big fan of Starbuck's, but I have had two different people this last summer that wanted to meet me in a coffee house, and both people suggested that we meet in Starbuck's, probably because that is all they knew about. I ran across a site once that listed independent coffee shops, for people that were trying to stear clear of Starbuck's. I will have to see if I can find it again.
  • Post #4 - November 3rd, 2014, 1:43 pm
    Post #4 - November 3rd, 2014, 1:43 pm Post #4 - November 3rd, 2014, 1:43 pm
    The OBT location was supposed to convert to a Peet's, but then heard later that it wouldn't be converting. The Glen Ellyn location is papered over as well; it has been there for many years and was always crowded. I'm also not a Starbuck's fan.
    Ms. Ingie
  • Post #5 - November 3rd, 2014, 1:48 pm
    Post #5 - November 3rd, 2014, 1:48 pm Post #5 - November 3rd, 2014, 1:48 pm
    Thank you both for your comments. There is a B&N at the Bolingbrook complex at Boughton/355, I forget that it's there. I used to go to the old B&N on 75th a lot as it was near my home.

I'm not opposed to Starbucks. I just like places with more seating, and the ones in Darien, Willowbrook, and east Bolingbrook fall short.
    "Fried chicken should unify us, as opposed to tearing us apart. " - Bomani Jones
  • Post #6 - November 3rd, 2014, 2:00 pm
    Post #6 - November 3rd, 2014, 2:00 pm Post #6 - November 3rd, 2014, 2:00 pm
    Barnes in Noble in Oakbrook Shopping Center is huge.
    Ms. Ingie
  • Post #7 - November 4th, 2014, 1:17 pm
    Post #7 - November 4th, 2014, 1:17 pm Post #7 - November 4th, 2014, 1:17 pm
    Elijahs has two locations. The second is in downtown Elmhurst just east of york on First Street.
  • Post #8 - November 24th, 2014, 2:41 pm
    Post #8 - November 24th, 2014, 2:41 pm Post #8 - November 24th, 2014, 2:41 pm
    I'm going to have to check out Elijah's - I've been looking for good coffee shops in the area (I'm in Villa Park), and not coming up with much!
  • Post #9 - December 23rd, 2014, 6:37 pm
    Post #9 - December 23rd, 2014, 6:37 pm Post #9 - December 23rd, 2014, 6:37 pm
    I tried the Vallette location of Elijah's this afternoon as I was on the Roosevelt corridor and it wasn't far out of my way.

Pros:
    - Comfortable place
    - Espresso seemed pretty good (I kill it by putting sf vanilla syrup in it, so you can't go by me)
    - Reasonable price
    - Friendly staff

Cons:
    - Not enough seating - I was fortunate to get one of the three rectangular tables for two. Four people couldn't really sit in there at a table, although there was at least one sofa and some other nice comfy chairs.

I'd stop in again if I was in the area and needed a place to contemplate and recharge for a while, but if I had to get work done on a laptop, I'd be worried about availability.
  • Post #10 - December 23rd, 2014, 7:12 pm
    Post #10 - December 23rd, 2014, 7:12 pm Post #10 - December 23rd, 2014, 7:12 pm
    The thing I like about Elijah's is the fact that it's not a good place to sit with the laptop. I like to sit by myself and relax with a cup or sit and chat with one friend.
    Ms. Ingie
  • Post #11 - January 25th, 2015, 11:23 am
    Post #11 - January 25th, 2015, 11:23 am Post #11 - January 25th, 2015, 11:23 am
    Also in downtown Elmhurst: Brewpoint Coffee, 124 W. Park Ave., 224-542-8263
    "The only thing I have to eat is Yoo-hoo and Cocoa puffs so if you want anything else, you have to bring it with you."
  • Post #12 - February 4th, 2015, 8:36 pm
    Post #12 - February 4th, 2015, 8:36 pm Post #12 - February 4th, 2015, 8:36 pm
    Cafe la Fortuna in Hinsdale and now Willowbrook is a nice place. Owned by a Mexican family who also owns the farm in Chiapas where the coffee beans are grown.

46 Village Place
    Hinsdale, IL 60521
    630 537 1586

6300 Kingery Highway Suite 126
    Willowbrook, IL 60527
  • Post #13 - February 4th, 2015, 9:19 pm
    Post #13 - February 4th, 2015, 9:19 pm Post #13 - February 4th, 2015, 9:19 pm
    surbano wrote:Cafe la Fortuna in Hinsdale and now Willowbrook is a nice place. Owned by a Mexican family who also owns the farm in Chiapas where the coffee beans are grown.

46 Village Place
    Hinsdale, IL 60521
    630 537 1586

6300 Kingery Highway Suite 126
    Willowbrook, IL 60527

Ooh, I'll have to try the Willowbrook location! Thanks.
  • Post #14 - February 7th, 2015, 5:15 pm
    Post #14 - February 7th, 2015, 5:15 pm Post #14 - February 7th, 2015, 5:15 pm
    First impressions of the Willowbrook La Fortuna:

1. Great looking place.
    2. Comfortable seating, but no sofas/armchairs for people who prefer that
    3. My cafe de olla was good and served in a real glass. Only thing is that it could have been a little hotter.
    4. The pastry I had for lunch was better than serviceable, but for me not worth the calories in the future as I'm generally trying to lose more weight.
    5. No cordadito/cortado, which I had a little bit of hope for given that it was an independent place, albeit Mexican and not Cuban.

I will definitely make this a regular weekend stop.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more