LTH Home

Buying unknown alcohol abroad

Buying unknown alcohol abroad
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Buying unknown alcohol abroad

Post #1 - May 8th, 2017, 12:23 pm
    Post #1 - May 8th, 2017, 12:23 pm Post #1 - May 8th, 2017, 12:23 pm
    Years ago, countries had specialty liquors unique to their culture and terroir i.e sake in Japan. Now sake is made in places other than Japan and Japan makes whisky that is traditionally made elsewhere. Gin, vodka, wine, rum, beer and others are now made -it seems- almost anywhere. So how do you know if a rum or other spirit, for example, is good when it comes from a place well off the radar-St. Helena or Ascension Island or a small batch scotch in other places outside of the UK. Such bottles are not on offer at Binny's and other big providers and reviews are difficult if not impossible to find. Do you buy the bottle for the exotic souvenir-can't find anywhere else/cool label/-looks good on the shelf so is never opened -or buy and try it then cater a cocktail to its flavor?
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #2 - May 8th, 2017, 1:18 pm
    Post #2 - May 8th, 2017, 1:18 pm Post #2 - May 8th, 2017, 1:18 pm
    Over 25 years ago, I had a guest from Japan in town and we ended up getting a massive snow storm. I was able to get him out of town just prior to the heavy stuff. He left a high end bottle of Sake in my car that he was bringing as a gift to a customer in Cleveland. I tracked him down and he said to keep it. I kept it for 20 years and later asked a Japanese friend if it ages well like red wine or whiskey would. He emphatically said no and to make his point he said it would cause "brain damage" if consumed. Pretty bottle and all in the sink and garbage.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more