LTH Home

Kumiko

Kumiko
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Kumiko

Post #1 - March 22nd, 2019, 8:50 am
    Post #1 - March 22nd, 2019, 8:50 am Post #1 - March 22nd, 2019, 8:50 am
    The drinks were one of the highlights of our trip to Oriole way back when, so I was looking forward to the adjunct sorta-omakase bar Kumiko. It's a beautiful small space, and the dishes and drinks are presented with a similar eye toward striking minimalism and plating. Many of the cocktails were inspired by more traditional drinks but used Japanese ingredients - whisky, tea, sake - in place of some of the more familiar components, which was a nice twist. But jeez, $17-$21 a cocktail? That's harsh, even accounting for ingredients. We each ordered one of the cocktail "flights," which were novel but similarly steep - $20 or so gets you essentially one modest cocktail plus small tastes of two of the base components. As for the small bites, $8 a little pork bun or prawn tempura adds up really fast for something that is not even remotely filling, no matter how tasty, and given the entrees (as such) were pushing $30 we were concerned they would be similarly petite and passed. (There is no price listed online for the omakase menu, but I can only guess.) So yeah, it was a nice experience, the service was fine, it was relaxing ... but it was over in a snap and, over $100 out for a couple of drinks and essentially appetizers, we headed right to St. Lou's down the street for something more substantial at literally a third of the price (and where drinks at Moneygun next door are $10). What can I say? I'm a barbarian.

630 W Lake St
    Chicago, IL 60661
    (312) 285-2912

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events