LTH Home

Jumiles: The Allure of Eating Insects, Sol de Mexico

• Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Jumiles: The Allure of Eating Insects, Sol de Mexico

Post #1 - December 2nd, 2006, 12:21 pm
    Post #1 - December 2nd, 2006, 12:21 pm Post #1 - December 2nd, 2006, 12:21 pm

Ever since I saw Steve McQueen hunker down on some smashed cockroaches and millipedes in Papillon, I’ve been intrigued by the thought of eating insects. Most of the world does it -- and every one of us has eaten mandibles, claws and probably whole creepy-crawlies in flour and other food stuffs, so why the heck not do so consciously? It obviously won't kill you.

There’s a certain allure to eating insects; I’m not talking about bug sushi a la McQueen, but cooked and prepared in much the same way as you would any of the other beings lower on the food chain.

Last week, I was fortunate enough to sample jumiles at Sol de Mexico. These are grasshopper-like creatures, with a slightly woodsy note that is rather subtle and easy to lose in a tomato and chile salsa.

The flavor was so slight, I pretty much had to eat the sauce straight to pick up the buggy savor. These little critters have a chewy exoskeleton, reminiscent of the cartilaginous shell of the ant eggs we had at Spoon Thai years ago. It’s not a fabulous taste sensation, but it’s not unpleasant, and it is educational. Plus, if I’m ever imprisoned in French Guyana, I will be much less hesitate about consuming my cell mates.

If this condiment interests you, I’d bet Carlos has more on hand.

David “I’ll eat anything…twice” Hammond
    “Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”
  • Post #2 - December 3rd, 2006, 1:03 am
    Post #2 - December 3rd, 2006, 1:03 am Post #2 - December 3rd, 2006, 1:03 am
    Having had worms, grasshoppers, etc. in Mexico, and the above mentioned salsa up here a couple of times-gotta say I can't personally tout this stuff. The salsa had a very distinct chemical taste which threw me for a loop, and the other bugaboos were not exactly my idea of a tasty eating experience-kinda boring and creepy rolled into one. No question that consuming insects makes sense from a low fat-high protein standpoint. This is comfort food for people that reaches back to pre-Hispanic times, along with iguana, pickled deer penis and the like, but given the choice I'll take something done pibil style with a side of xnipec. This is my uber-biased opinion and I'm sticking with it.
    I love animals...they're delicious!
  • Post #3 - December 3rd, 2006, 3:21 pm
    Post #3 - December 3rd, 2006, 3:21 pm Post #3 - December 3rd, 2006, 3:21 pm
    Anyone who is squeamish about eating bugs should take a closer look at a shrimp, crawfish or lobster. Sorry, but those are just sea bugs. I don't either type of bug. :shock:
    The clown is down!
  • Post #4 - December 3rd, 2006, 3:31 pm
    Post #4 - December 3rd, 2006, 3:31 pm Post #4 - December 3rd, 2006, 3:31 pm
    Interesting post, David. It's nice to see that Carlos is continuing to explore different areas of Mexican cuisine.

For those interested in insects as food, be sure to read "Joys of Eating the Road Less Traveled at Sticky Rice" from Cathy2.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #5 - December 3rd, 2006, 7:38 pm
    Post #5 - December 3rd, 2006, 7:38 pm Post #5 - December 3rd, 2006, 7:38 pm
    JeanneBean wrote:Anyone who is squeamish about eating bugs should take a closer look at a shrimp, crawfish or lobster. Sorry, but those are just sea bugs. I don't either type of bug. :shock:

If bugs were large enough for me to pick the meat out, de-shell legs, thoraxes & abdomens, and leave the heads off, I would eat them. Interestingly enough though, I suppose I will eat shrimp heads in S&P shrimp.
  • Post #6 - December 16th, 2006, 11:04 am
    Post #6 - December 16th, 2006, 11:04 am Post #6 - December 16th, 2006, 11:04 am
    Jay K wrote:If bugs were large enough for me to pick the meat out, de-shell legs, thoraxes & abdomens, and leave the heads off, I would eat them. Interestingly enough though, I suppose I will eat shrimp heads in S&P shrimp.

My experience with eating bugs is very limited, but it seems that most insects (crickets, beetles, grasshoppers) have such a thick exoskeleton and such a small amount of meat inside, that their main contribution to a meal is textural. You fry them; they crunch. Want taste? Mix fried bugs with chili, molasses or whatever.

Hammond
    “Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more