LTH Home

Evanston - need recs (and great places)

Evanston - need recs (and great places)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 6 
  • Post #151 - January 20th, 2007, 9:25 am
    Post #151 - January 20th, 2007, 9:25 am Post #151 - January 20th, 2007, 9:25 am
    germuska wrote:
    zim wrote:I'd also like to get au rendez vous back into play (anyone else get stuff from there?)

It would appear that Au Rendezvous is out of business. I saw a for rent sign on the window this evening.

I guess that answers my question above about whether folks were getting takeout from there - apparently not.

too bad, it was good stuff, and I like the fact that an order of "legume" came with meat.
  • Post #152 - January 21st, 2007, 8:44 pm
    Post #152 - January 21st, 2007, 8:44 pm Post #152 - January 21st, 2007, 8:44 pm
    tried pine yard tonight. not impressed. I dont know if they have a secret menu, but the stuff I had was lousy. won't be going back
  • Post #153 - January 23rd, 2007, 1:28 pm
    Post #153 - January 23rd, 2007, 1:28 pm Post #153 - January 23rd, 2007, 1:28 pm
    George R wrote:I differ slightly from Octarine. What I like best at the Wiener and Still Champion is the flavorful char Polish. It's among the best in the Chicago area.

Hmm. Must try that the next time Iam there - had forgotten about this mention.
    "Among the best in the Chicago area" is quite a rec - heck, even "best on
    the street" would be quite something (since many would tell you that
    Poochie's, a mile or so down the road, might be among the best around).

Dropped in to WASC a few days ago. The burger was very solid, and the
    fries on the day were quite excellent - fresh-cut, twice-fried (as usual), but
    this time almost perfectly crispy too, just very "on". My own personal
    fave fries are usually fresh-cut, thick, skin-off, crispy outside and
    creamy inside (for which I still havent found a truly perfect version in
    Chicago - anyone have any, BTW?) These are not quite that, as they
    are skin-on... but this time, despite that, they were wonderfully good
    (and anyone who likes skin-on would have found them absolutely
    perfect).

There are also new "dipping sauces" being experimented with at
    WASC BTW - I tried one and it was very good (but, truth be told, the
    fries on the day were so good that I actually ate most of them by
    their lonesome, not even using my usual favourite dipping sauce,
    Heinz ;-)

And BTW, this is one entry that should be near the top of the "Best
    meals under 5 dollars" list - a 1/3rd lb fresh-beef cheeseburger,
    excellent fries, and drink, coming in, IIRC, at 4.95 pre-tax.

c8w
  • Post #154 - January 23rd, 2007, 1:42 pm
    Post #154 - January 23rd, 2007, 1:42 pm Post #154 - January 23rd, 2007, 1:42 pm
    c8w wrote:There are also new "dipping sauces" being experimented with at
    Heinz ;-)

Ooh, how many were made available to you? That could inspire a trip for some dipping dogs and/or fries.

c8w wrote:And BTW, this is one entry that should be near the top of the "Best

That wouldn't be the same as a char cheddarburger, right? If you haven't had a cheddar, it actually surpasses the one offered at Poochie's in my humble opinion, having just had Poochie's the other night. All right, time for me to go get some lunch!

--Dan (who's considering giving Pita Inn another try...)
  • Post #155 - January 23rd, 2007, 1:49 pm
    Post #155 - January 23rd, 2007, 1:49 pm Post #155 - January 23rd, 2007, 1:49 pm
    My own personal fave fries are usually fresh-cut, thick, skin-off, crispy outside and creamy inside (for which I still havent found a truly perfect version in Chicago - anyone have any, BTW?)

Have you tried the fries at U-Lucky-Dawg (formerly known as Fluky's)? They might fit the bill for you (or at least did, last time I tried 'em)...

6832 N. Western Ave.
    773-274-3652
  • Post #156 - January 23rd, 2007, 3:29 pm
    Post #156 - January 23rd, 2007, 3:29 pm Post #156 - January 23rd, 2007, 3:29 pm
    Heinz ;-)

Ooh, how many were made available to you? That could inspire a trip for some dipping dogs and/or fries.

I tried only one, but was told some were in the works. Presumably gp
    can elaborate...

That wouldn't be the same as a char cheddarburger, right? If you haven't had a cheddar, it actually surpasses the one offered at Poochie's in my humble opinion, having just had Poochie's the other night. All right, time for me to go get some lunch!

I havent had the cheddar lately, I dont think. But in general I prefer American
    to Cheddar on my burgers anyway I think (even at Paradise Pup, which
    still has IMHO the best burger of its kind and uses Merkts, Ive come to the
    conclusion that American is the way to go for me personally). I havent
    had Poochie's burger lately, at least since my last 3-4 WASC burgers -
    I too think WASC might be the better cheeseburger.

--Dan (who's considering giving Pita Inn another try...)

I would - I do it often enough :-) Iam one of the few Pita Inn fans on this
    forum, I think. The lunch special is a wonderful deal, and IMHO a very
    good meal too. Maybe its because I do Pita Inn *so* much... but Iam sort
    of addicted to their red and white sauces, I havent found anything to
    compare anywhere else in town. The hot sauces even on Kedzie pale
    in comparison, for me - and also the white, which isnt quite the same as
    all the other spots. I pour on a lot of white and red sauces on the rice
    and into the pita-sandwiches... and its more than a full meal for me, and
    a very satisfying one indeed. Ive tried Basha, Ive tried Larsa, Ive tried
    Salam and City Noor and Semiramis... Pita Inn is still my go-to spot on
    Dempster at least (and on Kedzie I like Salam best, their specials are
    very good IMHO, but I wouldnt *often* drive all the way to Kedzie even
    for Salam, not for just the "normal" stuff, for which Pita Inn IMHO often
    compares with anything on taste and value). Again, all IMHO - YMMV :-)

c8w
  • Post #157 - January 23rd, 2007, 5:43 pm
    Post #157 - January 23rd, 2007, 5:43 pm Post #157 - January 23rd, 2007, 5:43 pm
    George R wrote:I differ slightly from Octarine. What I like best at the Wiener and Still Champion is the flavorful char Polish. It's among the best in the Chicago area.

The Polish was actually chosen during an LTH tasting. 6-7 Polishes were sampled and I think everyone agreed on the top choice.

c8w wrote: the fries on the day were quite excellent - fresh-cut, twice-fried (as usual), but this time almost perfectly crispy too, just very "on"..

Fresh Cut fries can be tempermental. So many variables but they have been ON more often than not.

Correction. $4.55 pre-tax. $4.95 with tax. But all good things must come to an end. I have been working on a new menu and I know that there will be some price adjustments. Heck, one place charges $5.00 for a 1/3 lb burger pre-tax. No fries. No drink.
  • Post #158 - January 23rd, 2007, 6:03 pm
    Post #158 - January 23rd, 2007, 6:03 pm Post #158 - January 23rd, 2007, 6:03 pm
    fastfoodsnob wrote:
    Heinz ;-)

Actually it wasn't a dipping sauce. Rather, a sauce that would go ontop of the fries. I'd say a cross between Cross Rhodes Greek fries and Garlic fries. Still a work in progress.

fastfoodsnob wrote:

it's the same except American cheese is used instead of cheddar. You can always request Cheddar cheese though. We use the same burger as Poochies. One of the difference is that we use a hand formed knot roll while they use a more standard bun.
  • Post #159 - January 23rd, 2007, 11:51 pm
    Post #159 - January 23rd, 2007, 11:51 pm Post #159 - January 23rd, 2007, 11:51 pm
    carrienation wrote:
    My own personal fave fries are usually fresh-cut, thick, skin-off, crispy outside and creamy inside (for which I still havent found a truly perfect version in Chicago - anyone have any, BTW?)

Have you tried the fries at U-Lucky-Dawg (formerly known as Fluky's)? They might fit the bill for you (or at least did, last time I tried 'em)...

6832 N. Western Ave.
    773-274-3652

Actually stopped by a few days ago and had their Polish and some fries. The Polish wasn't all that impressive, but the restaurant was advertising its newly fresh(or was it hand?)-cut fries, so out with the crinkle fries of old. I wasn't all that impressed with the new fries, either, but my standard in fries has been elevated by better hot-dog and fry joints sampled over the past year or so. Hope you got ULD (and Max's) coupons in the local mail, carrienation!

Wonderin' if the $1 burger Monday Night Football deal will extend to the Super Bowl,
    Dan
  • Post #160 - January 24th, 2007, 12:00 am
    Post #160 - January 24th, 2007, 12:00 am Post #160 - January 24th, 2007, 12:00 am
    c8w wrote:I havent had the cheddar lately, I dont think. But in general I prefer American
    to Cheddar on my burgers anyway I think (even at Paradise Pup, which
    still has IMHO the best burger of its kind and uses Merkts, Ive come to the
    conclusion that American is the way to go for me personally).

Hey, more power to ya -- it's a great burger, whatever the melted topping.

c8w wrote:...The lunch special is a wonderful deal, and IMHO a very
    good meal too. Maybe its because I do Pita Inn *so* much... but Iam sort
    of addicted to their red and white sauces, I havent found anything to
    compare anywhere else in town. The hot sauces even on Kedzie pale
    in comparison, for me - and also the white, which isnt quite the same as
    all the other spots. I pour on a lot of white and red sauces on the rice
    and into the pita-sandwiches... and its more than a full meal for me, and
    a very satisfying one indeed. Ive tried Basha, Ive tried Larsa, Ive tried
    Salam and City Noor and Semiramis... Pita Inn is still my go-to spot on
    Dempster at least (and on Kedzie I like Salam best, their specials are
    very good IMHO, but I wouldnt *often* drive all the way to Kedzie even
    for Salam, not for just the "normal" stuff, for which Pita Inn IMHO often
    compares with anything on taste and value). Again, all IMHO - YMMV :-)

If Semiramis were open on Sundays, I'd probably rope a lot more people into going, but so is life (and the vagaries of the restaurant schedule). I actually did go for the "business" lunch special at Pita Inn today, though they still prepared the $4.95 chicken special instead of the $3.95 one I explicitly called ahead for over the phone. But hey, at least the guy just took off the extra dollar and let me keep the somewhat overspiced piece o' chicken. The experience was slightly better than last time -- especially concerning the dryness of the meats -- but my expectations were probably tempered by my disastrous last visit. At least the rice was good to warm up with red sauce and a bit of pita for a late-night snack.

Man, I could really go for a lamb and beef shawerma special sandwich from Semiramis right about now. :)

--Dan
  • Post #161 - January 24th, 2007, 12:04 am
    Post #161 - January 24th, 2007, 12:04 am Post #161 - January 24th, 2007, 12:04 am
    gp60004 wrote:

Correction. $4.55 pre-tax. $4.95 with tax. But all good things must come to an end. I have been working on a new menu and I know that there will be some price adjustments. Heck, one place charges $5.00 for a 1/3 lb burger pre-tax. No fries. No drink.

Gah -- must... head in... before... the price change! ;) Seriously, I would experience a significant level of buyer's remorse if I didn't do just that. :cry:

--Dan
  • Post #162 - January 24th, 2007, 9:49 am
    Post #162 - January 24th, 2007, 9:49 am Post #162 - January 24th, 2007, 9:49 am
    fastfoodsnob wrote:
    gp60004 wrote:

Gah -- must... head in... before... the price change! ;) Seriously, I would experience a significant level of buyer's remorse if I didn't do just that. :cry:

--Dan

Make that two of us :-) If GP tells us when the menu-change goes into
    effect... maybe there will endup being an LTH "goodbye old menu"
    event or something :-)

It really will be a pity to see this combo-deal leave, one of the best
    Under-5-deals in the city IMHO. (Maybe we can persuade GP to have
    a burger-fries-for-5 deal instead,with pop extra.. at least that way the
    integrity of the "meal under 5" stays? :-) (BTW, I believe I know the
    place GP refers to, with its "burger for 5 bucks" thing... I noticed it,
    and thought it was way overpriced - if Paradise Pup, with all their
    ridiculous business from the Tribune article etc, can still do one for
    3:50 or whatever, and much better at that, this new place touting just
    their burger for 5 seemed way over the top, to me at least. For a half-pound
    pub burger or something, thats something else... for just a 1/3 lb stand
    burger, significantly overpriced IMHO. But most items on that particular
    menu are IMHO).

c8w
  • Post #163 - January 24th, 2007, 9:55 am
    Post #163 - January 24th, 2007, 9:55 am Post #163 - January 24th, 2007, 9:55 am
    fastfoodsnob wrote:
    carrienation wrote:

6832 N. Western Ave.
    773-274-3652

joints sampled over the past year or so. Hope you got ULD (and Max's) coupons in the local mail, carrienation!

Wonderin' if the $1 burger Monday Night Football deal will extend to the Super Bowl,
    Dan

Hmm. I must try these, if theyre now fresh-cut and skin-off.. I havent tried
    ULD in a while, probably not since it became ULD (I had been to it a
    few times when it was Fluky's).

BTW, what $1 burger night is this, FFS? Do you mean at Max's and/or ULD's?
    Only with a coupon? (Ive been to Max's before, but for the beef, not the
    burger - and it was a while ago). Do either have a good burger, then?
    (If its $1 obviously its a great value on that night... but is it a decent
    burger regardless? :-)

c8w
  • Post #164 - January 24th, 2007, 7:16 pm
    Post #164 - January 24th, 2007, 7:16 pm Post #164 - January 24th, 2007, 7:16 pm
    c8w wrote:Hmm. I must try these, if theyre now fresh-cut and skin-off.. I havent tried
    ULD in a while, probably not since it became ULD (I had been to it a
    few times when it was Fluky's).

That's the thing -- I didn't read the sign advertising this myself, so you'll probably have to call in or stop by to verify the preparation.

c8w wrote:BTW, what $1 burger night is this, FFS? Do you mean at Max's and/or ULD's?
    Only with a coupon? (Ive been to Max's before, but for the beef, not the
    burger - and it was a while ago). Do either have a good burger, then?
    (If its $1 obviously its a great value on that night... but is it a decent
    burger regardless? :-)

There was a promotion this season for dollar burgers and dogs at ULD for Monday Night Football apparently. Now that the Super Bowl's coming up, I wish I took advantage of it instead of simply driving by each week and rereading the promo on the ULD streetside billboard. I believe I had the beef at Max's once, and the burger at ULD maybe once as well. Nothing to write home about, but I suppose they are freshly prepared. Don't know if they're still honoring the promo this upcoming Monday.

--Dan
  • Post #165 - January 25th, 2007, 9:55 am
    Post #165 - January 25th, 2007, 9:55 am Post #165 - January 25th, 2007, 9:55 am
    So I was dragged up to Evanston yesterday for lunch and found myself across the street from one of the places that makes me dislike the idea of dining in Evanston (rhymes with sucky badder). Fortunately, though close in proximity I was a world away from lame funky food, dining on sashimi at Kuni's.

And it was quite good. The interior is a bit cramped and down at the heels, but the sashimi was very nice quality, fat zebra stripes on the salmon, supple tender tuna, good real-tasting miso soup, all at a reasonable price. It's not a top-of-the-line sushi choice like Katsu or Bob-San, not working at that level of creativity (or cost), but I'd put it right there with Renga-Tei, and a little ahead of Tampopo or T-Spot, among comfy places I've been to enough to have a firm opinion about (and to want to go back to).

(So the irony is, I get home and look at the list above of "not quite every" restaurant in Evanston... and Kuni's isn't there! I found a restaurant in Evanston I actually think is halfway decent, and it didn't even make the list! :lol: )

Check it out. Or, just as likely, go back if you haven't been in 15 years.

Kuni's
    511 Main St., Evanston
    (847) 328-2004
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #166 - January 25th, 2007, 11:41 am
    Post #166 - January 25th, 2007, 11:41 am Post #166 - January 25th, 2007, 11:41 am
    I think we all go there so often we forget to mention it - you're right, very good sushi at very doable prices.

Because we decided to avoid the draft at Kuni's (a pet peeve of mine in Chicagoland restaurants,) Uberspouse and I opted to try S. Paragon, a newer Thai/Sushi place down the street. I would say that it's pricey for what it is, but the atmosphere is very nice, lots of dark wood and amber lighting, the service is attentive - overall we had a very nice experience.

We went for lunch, and had two of the lunch specials - the 'spouse had a red curry which came with a very nice salad, eggrolls and miso soup, and I had the chicken katsu bento box, which came with a kappa maki, a california roll, miso - and an absolutely excellent cucumber salad - perfectly fresh, crunchy, cold and dressed lightly (I never thought cucumber salad was something that could be elevated, but there you are)

I'm curious if anyone else has tried it?

S. Paragon
    Evanston
    503 Main St
    Evanston, IL 60202
    (847) 332-2302
  • Post #167 - January 25th, 2007, 11:48 am
    Post #167 - January 25th, 2007, 11:48 am Post #167 - January 25th, 2007, 11:48 am
    Been there, done that - the space is a little darker, but otherwise it's pretty much a dupliate of Dozika, not too far up the street at Dempster & Chicago. Same ownership, I believe. I definitely prefer Kuni's sushi in that area.

But then, I've been known to get brunch at The Yucky Blather, too, and they weren't too bad.
  • Post #168 - January 25th, 2007, 1:05 pm
    Post #168 - January 25th, 2007, 1:05 pm Post #168 - January 25th, 2007, 1:05 pm
    Breakfasty stuff is probably what Gucky Matter is ideal for. I had a series of lunch meetings there a few years ago and... did not grow to love it.

Food aside, that's my favorite strip in Evanston-- Dave's Rock Shop, nice toy and art/hobby stores, the newsstand (which is low-porn enough that I can take my kids there, unlike comparable spots in the city), etc.
  • Post #169 - January 25th, 2007, 2:20 pm
    Post #169 - January 25th, 2007, 2:20 pm Post #169 - January 25th, 2007, 2:20 pm
    Mike G wrote:Food aside, that's my favorite strip in Evanston

I do give Piron (on the same strip) tons of credit and I think Evanston owes a huge percentage of any of their culinary reputation to their chocolate.

Mike G wrote:the newsstand (which is low-porn enough that I can take my kids there, unlike comparable spots in the city)

It didn't used to be. 10-15 years ago, that was the porniest newsstand around.
  • Post #170 - January 25th, 2007, 2:22 pm
    Post #170 - January 25th, 2007, 2:22 pm Post #170 - January 25th, 2007, 2:22 pm
    Also good for kids right there is Froots, on the corner of Main and Chicago. The food is pretty unappealing, but they offer a wide array of smoothies, and I just discovered that on Tuesdays you can get one for $1.99. Even though it was too cold outside for me to understand the appeal of an icy beverage, my girls were happy with their fruity slushy drinks.
    ToniG
  • Post #171 - January 25th, 2007, 4:08 pm
    Post #171 - January 25th, 2007, 4:08 pm Post #171 - January 25th, 2007, 4:08 pm

When it was set to close, it was bought by the city, hence the non-reliance on Juggs and Hombre to pay the bills, which is certainly unusual for its type. On the other hand, as always in such places, one can readily keep up on the latest in paranormal research there.
  • Post #172 - May 19th, 2007, 10:38 pm
    Post #172 - May 19th, 2007, 10:38 pm Post #172 - May 19th, 2007, 10:38 pm
    Though I walk by on occasion, I hadn't eaten in Tommy Nevin's before today. The weather was in the 70's, spectacular for sitting outdoors - and that's what we did, a friend and I sat at a table on the sidewalk. I was surprised by the size - number of offerings - on the menu and by what I think are reasonable prices for Evanston, and such a busy place. This was a pre-movie theater early dinner - about 5 p.m. - and the place was not overcrowded.

I chose the fish and chips and my friend the lamb stew; no starters, just entree's.

The fish and chips was the Cod fried in beer batter (Harp Lager). There were two large pieces of fish - too large for my liking. The quantity was good, but I prefer the style of presentation where the fish is cut into smaller pieces, then battered and fried - more finger food than when you need a knife and fork to eat it. The fries seemed standard restaurant/institutional quality - and the vinegar rendered them edible.

My friend really liked the lamb stew - commenting, several times, about the "great tasting" gravy. The lamb was good, too.

The wait staff was very attentive.

Fine dining it wasn't; pub grub and "satisfying" food it was. It's a relaxed environment and the outdoor seating adds to that. Dinner for two . . . four drinks and two entree's . . . $48.00 + tip.

For more information about Tommy Nevin's: http://www.tommynevins.com/
  • Post #173 - May 20th, 2007, 1:49 am
    Post #173 - May 20th, 2007, 1:49 am Post #173 - May 20th, 2007, 1:49 am
    eatchicago wrote:

Oh yeah, fond memories of illict viewing as a high school boy.
  • Post #174 - October 23rd, 2007, 6:21 pm
    Post #174 - October 23rd, 2007, 6:21 pm Post #174 - October 23rd, 2007, 6:21 pm
    nr706 wrote:
    Chef's Station, in the ground floor level of the Davis St. Metra Station (915 Davis St.) has very good electic food, and a decor/vibe that's on the slightly elegant side of funky. The well-discussed chef from Sweets and Savouries previously worked here.

Dined with the parents at Chef's Station in Evanston, it is located next to the CTA purple line and underneath the Davis Street Metra train station in downtown Evanston.

We went on a Thurs night which was busy but not overly so. Street parking was easy for our 6:30pm reservations.

Starters included:
    Pan Seared Hudson Valley Fois Gras - hadn't had it in awhile, done perfectly, served with caramelized black mission figs, mache salad and port reduction.
    Bluefin Tuna Sashimi - w/avocado and pink grapefruit, soy sauce. Very fresh and tasty.

Entrees:
    Maple Leaf Duck Breast served with a pinot noir pan sauce - Mrs Sweet Willie and I have been dining on some flavorless duck lately, but this was tremendous, cooked perferctly and oh so flavorful.
    Meatloaf w/Roasted beef Bordelaise, confit onion mashed potatoes and crispy onion. The two in our party that ordered this did not have anything left on their plate, a very good hearty dish.

Chef's Station was just mentioned in Chicago Magazine's recent article "The 124 Best Dishes". The dish mentioned was the Pan Seared Walleye Pike - with sweet corn, grilled scallion and sweet pea ragout, sweet paprika burre blanc and crispy spinach.

They also serve a tasting menu

We will for sure return to this restaurant, very good high quality food for a good price.

Chef's Station website/details: http://chefs-station.com/

--
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #175 - October 24th, 2007, 12:29 pm
    Post #175 - October 24th, 2007, 12:29 pm Post #175 - October 24th, 2007, 12:29 pm
    I've had the tasting menu many times at the Chef's Station and it is a great value. The only bummer is I don't think thy offer it on Friday or Saturday nights anymore. Great food and wine selection.
  • Post #176 - December 29th, 2008, 9:08 am
    Post #176 - December 29th, 2008, 9:08 am Post #176 - December 29th, 2008, 9:08 am
    What are the typical entree prices at Chef's Station? I'm planning a group dinner and would like to go here. Their on-line menu doesn't list prices, though.

Any help is appreciated.
  • Post #177 - December 29th, 2008, 9:20 am
    Post #177 - December 29th, 2008, 9:20 am Post #177 - December 29th, 2008, 9:20 am
    Darren72 wrote:What are the typical entree prices at Chef's Station? I'm planning a group dinner and would like to go here. Their on-line menu doesn't list prices, though.

Any help is appreciated.

I went a little less than a year ago, and entree prices seemed to average in the low twenties. There is also a relative steal of a tasting menu always available: six courses for 60 bucks (wine extra).
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #178 - December 30th, 2008, 8:29 am
    Post #178 - December 30th, 2008, 8:29 am Post #178 - December 30th, 2008, 8:29 am
    Kennyz wrote:
    Darren72 wrote:What are the typical entree prices at Chef's Station? I'm planning a group dinner and would like to go here. Their on-line menu doesn't list prices, though.

Any help is appreciated.

I went a little less than a year ago, and entree prices seemed to average in the low twenties. There is also a relative steal of a tasting menu always available: six courses for 60 bucks (wine extra).

One note, I believe the tasting menu is not available Friday or Saturday nights, and yes the tasting meal is a great deal. Last time I inquired about the tasting menu on a Saturday night they imformed me it was difficult to do the tasting menus on busy Saturday nights. If you call ahead you may be able to get a tasting menu for a group on the weekend.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more