LTH Home

Romanian Kosher Sausage

Romanian Kosher Sausage
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Romanian Kosher Sausage

Post #1 - April 19th, 2007, 5:34 pm
    Post #1 - April 19th, 2007, 5:34 pm Post #1 - April 19th, 2007, 5:34 pm
    I have lived near Romanian Kosher Sausage for about 15 years, but I had never tried their "Polish Style" garlic hot dogs, until now. Oh man, are they tasty. I fried one in Russian sunflower oil with sliced onion and ate it on a bun with dijon mustard. It was so good, I had to have another. I think it was the best polish dog I have ever had, kosher or otherwise. Seriously, the beef was coarse ground and peppery with a healthy dose of garlic. They had the perfect amount of chew, dense without being rubbery. Like many of Romanian Kosher's products, they were a bit on the salty side, but delicious none the less. The sausages were about 50% fatter than a normal hot dog, or about 2/3 as thick as a kielbasa. I can't wait to grill a few over charcoal.

Anyhow, I noticed that RK didn't have its own thread and I thought it deserved one. It is one of those places you tend to overlook for a while, then when you go back there, you think "why did I stay away so long?".

Romanian Kosher Sausage Company
    (773) 761-4141
    7200 N Clark St
    Chicago, IL 60626

Yet another good reason to move to Rogers Park.
  • Post #2 - June 11th, 2007, 10:30 pm
    Post #2 - June 11th, 2007, 10:30 pm Post #2 - June 11th, 2007, 10:30 pm
    On Sunday I saw a decent array of Romanian Kosher products in a refrigerator case at the Jewel on Howard in Evanston. A couple of gauges of hot dog, cocktail franks, salami...

Has Romanian been packaging stuff for resale for a while? I don't recall ever seeing it. It would not be very surprising if this is one of the few stores that carry the product, since this Jewel has a gigantic kosher selection and is very close to RKS.

It has also looked like RKS has been open on Sundays recently, which I thought had never really been the case in the past. This is a drive-by assessment, and the place is pretty fortress like, so I'm not sure whether I saw what I thought I saw.

Jewel
    2485 Howard Street, Evanston, IL
    (847) 328-9791
    Joe G.

"Whatever may be wrong with the world, at least it has some good things to eat." -- Cowboy Jack Clement
  • Post #3 - June 12th, 2007, 12:32 am
    Post #3 - June 12th, 2007, 12:32 am Post #3 - June 12th, 2007, 12:32 am
    my favorite salami. med hard. great kishke too. skirt steaks and knockwurst used to be good as well.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #4 - June 12th, 2007, 5:00 am
    Post #4 - June 12th, 2007, 5:00 am Post #4 - June 12th, 2007, 5:00 am
    Don't mean to hijack the thead, but Saravale is another Romanian (as in the country, as opposed to the name of the store itself) sausage place that's mentioned briefly here (with brief list of items) and here
    The intensely garlicky and smoked sausage were great - great head cheese too. Anyone else tried the place (and RKS)?
  • Post #5 - June 12th, 2007, 7:13 am
    Post #5 - June 12th, 2007, 7:13 am Post #5 - June 12th, 2007, 7:13 am
    germuska wrote:It has also looked like RKS has been open on Sundays recently, which I thought had never really been the case in the past. This is a drive-by assessment, and the place is pretty fortress like, so I'm not sure whether I saw what I thought I saw.

I shopped there on Sunday June 3, so indeed you saw what you saw.
  • Post #6 - June 12th, 2007, 8:02 am
    Post #6 - June 12th, 2007, 8:02 am Post #6 - June 12th, 2007, 8:02 am
    those garlic hot dogs are divine. i've basically stopped buying romanian's hot dogs, which are amazing themselves, because i've become addicted to the garlic dogs.

over the weekend the wife and i had some of those dogs, cooked over charcoal, and while, generally, i far, far prefer dogs bbqed to boiled, fried, ..., in the case of the garlic dog, i almost think bbqing them is not the best prep method as it introduces a distinct other flavor and takes something away from the sausage itself.

as for romanian's other meats, i don't think you can go wrong. the salami and beer sticks are especially goo.
  • Post #7 - June 12th, 2007, 8:06 am
    Post #7 - June 12th, 2007, 8:06 am Post #7 - June 12th, 2007, 8:06 am
    I don't know why I never looked at the sausages - but we used to live right across the street from Romanian and it was our go-to place for standing rib roast (when we could get my parents to foot the bill) Delectable. They also have whole veal breasts, which I've always wanted to try, but I'd need a house where I could have a bigger party to eat it all.

Have to go back now and check out the dogs.
  • Post #8 - June 12th, 2007, 8:34 am
    Post #8 - June 12th, 2007, 8:34 am Post #8 - June 12th, 2007, 8:34 am
    The woman who owned Romanian (until her death a couple of years ago) was a neighbor of mine, living in the same building, and many of our building functions featured Romanian Kosher products; I, too, like them. And I also shop at the "Kosher Jewel" on Howard at Kedzie - and have seen the Romanian Kosher packaged products there for the past three or four years; they're expensive. I've not been able to shop in the store on Clark St. because I work until after the store is closed, and when I'm available on Saturday the store is closed for the Sabbath.
  • Post #9 - June 12th, 2007, 8:47 am
    Post #9 - June 12th, 2007, 8:47 am Post #9 - June 12th, 2007, 8:47 am
    jazzfood wrote:my favorite salami. med hard. great kishke too. skirt steaks and knockwurst used to be good as well.
    I had the knockwurst last week, and they were excellent. They have a great texture and spicing, and unlike the dogs, they are stuffed in a skin. The knockwurst (and all the other RK sausages) are especially fine on the Queen Esther onion rolls they sell there. Make sure you grab the onion ones, since it is not marked on the bags.
    The rolls are a puffy glazed egg bread, like challah, with a healthy dose of sweet onions and poppy seeds baked inside. Absolutely delicious and a great complement to any sausage, kosher or otherwise.
    RKS also has excellent house-made potato salad, which is put out only on Thursday mornings, and is usually sold-out by that evening (the regular potato salad they sell is standard food service stuff). If you are in the area on a Thursday, it is well worth a special stop.
  • Post #10 - June 12th, 2007, 9:17 am
    Post #10 - June 12th, 2007, 9:17 am Post #10 - June 12th, 2007, 9:17 am
    the knockwurst, queen esther onion rolls and the med hard salami were my first soul food. i grew up in e rogers park a couple houses off the lake. every and i mean every fri nite featured them until i was a teenager. on my 16th b day, instead of a cake, my friends got me a 3' long salami from there and put candles in it. we polished it off by the next morn. sliced or grilled and slathered w/koops spicy mustard. the last of it ended up in scrambled eggs. my brother and i would fight to get the "heel" and eat it like a cupcake. it was one of the first places i went to when i moved back to chi. right after al's and marios. this is what chi is all about to me.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #11 - June 12th, 2007, 2:17 pm
    Post #11 - June 12th, 2007, 2:17 pm Post #11 - June 12th, 2007, 2:17 pm
    I've been driving past that place for years and never thought to check it out. What are their hours? What are the must-try house specialties?
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
  • Post #12 - June 12th, 2007, 4:33 pm
    Post #12 - June 12th, 2007, 4:33 pm Post #12 - June 12th, 2007, 4:33 pm
    Cogito wrote:I've been driving past that place for years and never thought to check it out. What are their hours? What are the must-try house specialties?

mon-wed 8:30-5:00
    thu 8:30-6:00
    fri 8:00-2:30
    sat closed
    sun 8:00-3:00

I like the hotdogs, garlic polish dogs (my fave) and knockwurst with Queen Esther onion rolls and Ba-Tampte delicatessen mustard. The salami and kishke are also highly recommended. The Thursday only potato salad is the best I have eaten, but the everyday potato salad is not that great. The cole slaw is a little salty and too creamy for my taste, but some people like it. I have never tried their steaks or other whole meat products, but I understand they are very good.
  • Post #13 - June 12th, 2007, 6:04 pm
    Post #13 - June 12th, 2007, 6:04 pm Post #13 - June 12th, 2007, 6:04 pm
    Aside from the hot dogs and sausages, their skirt steak is in the top 2 or 3 in town for grilling.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #14 - June 12th, 2007, 7:53 pm
    Post #14 - June 12th, 2007, 7:53 pm Post #14 - June 12th, 2007, 7:53 pm
    They also have the best frozen kishke around.
    Lacking fins or tail
    The Gefilte fish
    swims with great difficulty.

Jewish haiku.
  • Post #15 - June 13th, 2007, 12:03 am
    Post #15 - June 13th, 2007, 12:03 am Post #15 - June 13th, 2007, 12:03 am
    d4v3 wrote:...Anyhow, I noticed that RK didn't have its own thread and I thought it deserved one. It is one of those places you tend to overlook for a while, then when you go back there, you think "why did I stay away so long?"

Thanks for starting a dedicated thread, d4v3! I just had a pastrami last week, but I've come to appreciate their 1/8-pound hot dogs for quite a while now. I look forward to trying the garlic Polishes (and possibly the Thursday potato salad) next time I go. Queen Esther onion rolls? Sounds good -- and I just love the name. :) Thanks for the word there, too!

Gratefully,
    Dan
  • Post #16 - June 26th, 2007, 12:50 pm
    Post #16 - June 26th, 2007, 12:50 pm Post #16 - June 26th, 2007, 12:50 pm
    I forgot I bought a couple of Romanian kishkes when we were Passover shopping at Garden Fresh. I found them the other day in the back of the freezer, hiding behind a bag of pecans. I took one out and heated it in the oven last night as a side dish with our dinner. It was delicious -- maybe the best kishke I've ever had. We're considering a field trip to load up on their salamis and sausages.

Suzy
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #17 - June 26th, 2007, 3:49 pm
    Post #17 - June 26th, 2007, 3:49 pm Post #17 - June 26th, 2007, 3:49 pm
    sdritz wrote:I forgot I bought a couple of Romanian kishkes when we were Passover shopping at Garden Fresh. I found them the other day in the back of the freezer, hiding behind a bag of pecans. I took one out and heated it in the oven last night as a side dish with our dinner. It was delicious -- maybe the best kishke I've ever had. We're considering a field trip to load up on their salamis and sausages.

Suzy

Only Manny's can compete with this stuff. I love it too!
    Lacking fins or tail
    The Gefilte fish

Jewish haiku.
  • Post #18 - July 9th, 2007, 1:12 pm
    Post #18 - July 9th, 2007, 1:12 pm Post #18 - July 9th, 2007, 1:12 pm
    We checked out RKS last sunday after seeing this thread and realizing "hey that's that place we always drive by!"

Loved the hotdogs! these were juicy, beefy-tasting and huge! They turned out very well steamed. Haven't grilled them yet. We did however make the biggest pig-in-blankets I ever seen, lol.

The roast beef was moist, but I didn't personally care for the seasoning. The soft salami was made short work of. That went really fast just with some rolls and mustard. The pastrami was also very well recieved by Mrs.Monkey's brother and his family. Also bought some lox, but haven't tried it yet.

Will go back and try the knockwurst and the garlic dogs!

The friendly woman behind the counter asked us if we had read about them in TOC, and was suprised when I said no, but rather from LTH. She wasn't aware of it and said she didn't think the owner was either so she asked for the url and said she would have the owner look at the site.
    Moses supposes his toeses are roses, but Moses supposes erroneously. Moses, he knowses his toeses aren't roses, as Moses supposes his toeses to be.
  • Post #19 - July 16th, 2007, 12:28 pm
    Post #19 - July 16th, 2007, 12:28 pm Post #19 - July 16th, 2007, 12:28 pm
    Picked up 8-1 hot dogs and 4 lbs of ground beef for a BBQ Friday night.

The hamburgers received RAVE reviews -- I made 3 burgers for each pound of meat and did not add anything to the meat -- not even salt. I think RKS grinds their meat fresh, and you can really tell.

I also picked up some turkey breast and sliced salami and chicken drumsticks. The price per pound is higher than non-kosher meat, but Romanian is probably the best deal around if you're buying kosher.

We are visiting friends in Michigan this weekend and I'm already planning a RKS care package. They cannot get the good kosher stuff.

Also, I highly recommend if you're in the area, a swing by North Shore Bakery on Touhy. For me, it's great because they have kosher (parve) hot dog and hamburger buns. (As an aside, can I say how annoying it is that none of the "regular" bread manufacturers get a kosher certification for hot dog and hamburger buns?! If anyone bread product would need to be milk-free, it would be a bun. Sheesh.) Two 6-packs of buns cost less than $3. Maybe they were day old (I couldn't tell) but they were less than half what I would pay at the Howard Jewel.

NSB coffeecakes are decent - the regular cakes are OK, and if you catch them when they have black-and-whites, I've been told they are similar to the East Coast style. Skip the bagels (too fluffy and big) and the challah is OK.

North Shore Bakery
    2919 W Touhy Ave
    Chicago, IL 60645
    (773) 262-0600
    "You should eat!"
  • Post #20 - July 16th, 2007, 3:52 pm
    Post #20 - July 16th, 2007, 3:52 pm Post #20 - July 16th, 2007, 3:52 pm
    Franabanana wrote:NSB coffeecakes are decent - the regular cakes are OK, and if you catch them when they have black-and-whites, I've been told they are similar to the East Coast style. Skip the bagels (too fluffy and big) and the challah is OK.

Their chocolate brownies, though a bit dry, are a guilty pleasure of mine!
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #21 - July 16th, 2007, 4:55 pm
    Post #21 - July 16th, 2007, 4:55 pm Post #21 - July 16th, 2007, 4:55 pm
    Franabanana wrote:The hamburgers received RAVE reviews -- I made 3 burgers for each pound of meat and did not add anything to the meat -- not even salt. I think RKS grinds their meat fresh, and you can really tell.

Well if it's kosher meat it would have been salted, yes?
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #22 - July 20th, 2007, 12:03 pm
    Post #22 - July 20th, 2007, 12:03 pm Post #22 - July 20th, 2007, 12:03 pm
    stevez wrote:Aside from the hot dogs and sausages, their skirt steak is in the top 2 or 3 in town for grilling.

Steve:
    I assume you've been asking for these from the back and aren't referring to the machine "tenderized" steaks they have in the case. I agree these are pretty good but sometimes a little thin. Finding the thicker, more tender "outer skirt" can sometimes be a little difficult. For years E&M was my go to spot, but since they moved I've been going to Bornhofen or even sometimes Whole Foods, with somewhat spotty results.

You seem like a fellow who would know his way around a skirt... I'd really like to know your other favorite skirt steak providers around town if you'd be willing to share that with us.....
    Lacking fins or tail
    The Gefilte fish

Jewish haiku.
  • Post #23 - July 20th, 2007, 12:13 pm
    Post #23 - July 20th, 2007, 12:13 pm Post #23 - July 20th, 2007, 12:13 pm
    E&M is my number 1 go to spot for skirt steaks, followed by Gepperth's and Romanian. I'll occasionaly get them at Whole Foods, but 99 time ou of 100, I'll make the trek out to E&M in Northbrook.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #24 - July 20th, 2007, 1:13 pm
    Post #24 - July 20th, 2007, 1:13 pm Post #24 - July 20th, 2007, 1:13 pm
    I cant believe nobody has mentioned the chopped liver. The Romanian simply has the best chopped liver in the universe. The taste is almost sweet which blows me away everytime i taste it. The ingredients listed reveal no sign Of where this sweetness comes from although i suspect it may be sour salt. anyway if you havent tried the chopped (beef) liver, it is a must.

Also a full compliment of romanian products are available year round at sunset foods in highland park.
  • Post #25 - July 20th, 2007, 1:15 pm
    Post #25 - July 20th, 2007, 1:15 pm Post #25 - July 20th, 2007, 1:15 pm
    iblock9 wrote:anyway if you havent tried the chopped (beef) liver, it is a must

I'll definitely have to try that. Have you had Kaufman's chopped beef liver? If so, how do they compare?

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #26 - July 20th, 2007, 1:27 pm
    Post #26 - July 20th, 2007, 1:27 pm Post #26 - July 20th, 2007, 1:27 pm
    iblock9 wrote:The ingredients listed reveal no sign Of where this sweetness comes from although i suspect it may be sour salt.

It also may be the onions (if there are indeed onions listed). I've made chopped liver that tastes rather sweet by including onions that were caramelized to a rich brown color. They'll impart a lot of sweetness to the grind.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #27 - July 20th, 2007, 2:13 pm
    Post #27 - July 20th, 2007, 2:13 pm Post #27 - July 20th, 2007, 2:13 pm
    eatchicago wrote:
    iblock9 wrote:anyway if you havent tried the chopped (beef) liver, it is a must

I'll definitely have to try that. Have you had Kaufman's chopped beef liver? If so, how do they compare?

I think I have tried chopped liver everyplace I have ever seen it on the menu. I used to think the liver at Ashkenaz was the best in town. However, i believe it has slowly declined over the years. However, the liver at the Romanian is much better, imho, then Ashkenaz ever was. We easily go through 4 or 5 lbs a night at family seder/high holiday meals. We have even stopped making my bubbe's recipe because the liver from The Romanian is universally preffered. And we are a family that still hand grinds whitefish and pike for homemade gefilte fish twice a year.

Kaufman's liver is really good, but I like Romanian's much better. Maybe I just like chopped beef liver better then chicken liver, but i dont think that is the difference.
  • Post #28 - July 20th, 2007, 2:51 pm
    Post #28 - July 20th, 2007, 2:51 pm Post #28 - July 20th, 2007, 2:51 pm
    iblock9 wrote:Maybe I just like chopped beef liver better then chicken liver, but i dont think that is the difference.

Kauffamn's has both.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #29 - July 20th, 2007, 3:06 pm
    Post #29 - July 20th, 2007, 3:06 pm Post #29 - July 20th, 2007, 3:06 pm
    stevez wrote:
    iblock9 wrote:Maybe I just like chopped beef liver better then chicken liver, but i dont think that is the difference.

Kauffamn's has both.

Yes, I was specifically talking about their beef liver which I enjoy better than their chicken liver.
  • Post #30 - July 21st, 2007, 12:28 am
    Post #30 - July 21st, 2007, 12:28 am Post #30 - July 21st, 2007, 12:28 am
    Also not mentioned is the excellent pastrami. Leaner than is usually the case, there are two kinds, "regular" with a black pepper rub and "Romanian" with garlic . Both are excellent. A sandwich of either,with some sliced salami and a schmear of chopped liver on one of their onion or challah rolls would be a thing of beauty.
    Lacking fins or tail
    The Gefilte fish

Jewish haiku.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide