LTH Home

Barnaby's Family Inn - Pizza

Barnaby's Family Inn - Pizza
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - February 2nd, 2007, 4:37 pm
    Post #31 - February 2nd, 2007, 4:37 pm Post #31 - February 2nd, 2007, 4:37 pm
    Strange . . . I grew up in Northbrook and never heard of Barnaby's until reading this thread.

After today's first-time visit, I'm inclined to go again when in the area. Barnaby's puts out a solid pizza, imo, with a crust that evoked Lou Malnati's crust in taste and texture.
  • Post #32 - May 5th, 2007, 7:18 pm
    Post #32 - May 5th, 2007, 7:18 pm Post #32 - May 5th, 2007, 7:18 pm
    JeanneBean wrote: I could see grease dripping off of the pizza. There was no flavor to it. It was like eating pizza with a cold. The bottom of the crust had a nice consistency, but the flavor was not good. It tasted like stale beer.

We definately won't be back. Everyone who loves this place must only love the nostalgia from their youth because as someone who has never been, it was nasty. It was also pricey. I think a Jewel Thin-n-crispy is a better product.

I have lived in the area of the Barnaby's in Niles for 10 years but have never tried it. Our friends in the n'hood mentioned it the other night and we finally gave it a try tonight for takeout, although I was a little nervous after this review of the Niles location. Our experience was quite different. We both enjoyed the pizza very much and it has moved to our "go to" thin crust local option.

Some of the other posts have mentioned that the crust is similar to Lou Malnati's. The Barnaby's in Niles isn't a "butter crust" at all--it's actually quite a light crust. (The Niles location crust doesn't even look like Cathy2's pictures--at least ours didn't. Those pictures look like there is more butter or oil in the crust to me.) It reminds me of when I used to make my own crust at home except much thinner and with a fancy outer ring. (I've got to learn to do pictures on this site!) Based on that, I can say that the crust recipe for the Niles location probably has no fat or very little fat. It had obviously had cornmeal sprinkled at the bottom of the baking pan but that was the only evidence of cornmeal. It had a "just baked" bread taste.

The rest of the pizza was good as well. It was not heavily sauced, so if you like sauce I would order extra. The cheese was no more greasy than other pizzas--if anything it seemed a little less greasy. I had mushrooms and green peppers, and the bottom of the pizza was still well cooked and not soggy. The green peppers were very fresh and the mushrooms were not canned.
    My husband had sausage, onions, and mushrooms and his looked good as well. Even with the sausage it still did not look greasy at all. He did say he would prefer to stick with takeout since there were so many kids in the restaurant.
  • Post #33 - May 5th, 2007, 11:59 pm
    Post #33 - May 5th, 2007, 11:59 pm Post #33 - May 5th, 2007, 11:59 pm
    grits,

I'm not surprised the pictured crust was not like yours. From this thread and others, it appears all the Barnaby's operate independently from each other. Surprisingly this translates to different crust techniques at different locations. Josephine has long suggested doing a location-by-location comparision. From your statements and others, it may be worthwhile adventure.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #34 - May 6th, 2007, 7:48 am
    Post #34 - May 6th, 2007, 7:48 am Post #34 - May 6th, 2007, 7:48 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Josephine has long suggested doing a location-by-location comparision. From your statements and others, it may be worthwhile adventure.

Yes, that would be great. I'm already thinking of checking out the Northbrook location the next time I'm up that way. If I do I'll post a comparison.
  • Post #35 - November 12th, 2007, 5:44 pm
    Post #35 - November 12th, 2007, 5:44 pm Post #35 - November 12th, 2007, 5:44 pm
    Hi guys, I'm new here...

But not new to Barnaby's! I've been eating it since the 70's and I never stopped loving it. Here's what I'll say about it.

Barnaby's of Northbrook is the only one worth mentioning.

The Northbrook location was renovated big time in the mid-80's (they actually have WINDOWS!) and is a luxury palace :wink: compared to the other locations which are very depressing inside. I will say the one in Niles was decent, but not up to par, and is very dated. But that can be kind fun, can't it? :?

My friend worked at Northbrook for a short period recently (bartender) and I begged him to try to find out as much as he could about the recipe. Unfortunately my friend is clueless when it comes to these things and basically got me nothing. He said the owner of the Northbrook location comes in everyday and makes sure the pizza is done the right way. My friend's father even offered to buy the restaurant (!) but it wasn't for sale. :evil:

I've eaten at the Arlington Heights Barnaby's. It was horrible on any level. Same thing in Schaumburg. No good. I'm going to the South Bend one next year, as I will be in southern Michigan, but I've been warned not to expect what I get here. At least I have my beloved Northbrook location (and Niles if I want to go back in time). :)
  • Post #36 - November 12th, 2007, 10:17 pm
    Post #36 - November 12th, 2007, 10:17 pm Post #36 - November 12th, 2007, 10:17 pm
    Ram4 wrote:Barnaby's of Northbrook is the only one worth mentioning.

Welcome to LTH!

I grew up going to the Barnaby's in Northbrook, and still occasionally visit that location. But these days, I visit the Barnaby's on Touhy in Des Plaines more frequently and I think it is every bit as good as the one in Northbrook. As for remodeling, it's those strange stained glass windows and dim decor that are part of the charm -- going inside and not being able to see anything because it's so dark, then going outside to be blinded by the sun. But most of all, I love that crackery crust with the cornmeal underneath and that piping hot pizza.
  • Post #37 - November 13th, 2007, 2:20 pm
    Post #37 - November 13th, 2007, 2:20 pm Post #37 - November 13th, 2007, 2:20 pm
    BR wrote:
    Ram4 wrote:Barnaby's of Northbrook is the only one worth mentioning.

Welcome to LTH!

I grew up going to the Barnaby's in Northbrook, and still occasionally visit that location. But these days, I visit the Barnaby's on Touhy in Des Plaines more frequently and I think it is every bit as good as the one in Northbrook. As for remodeling, it's those strange stained glass windows and dim decor that are part of the charm -- going inside and not being able to see anything because it's so dark, then going outside to be blinded by the sun. But most of all, I love that crackery crust with the cornmeal underneath and that piping hot pizza.
    Hi, thanks. I think I had the one in Des Plaines a long time ago, so I can't say if I liked it. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it's fun to go to the old locations for that decor.
  • Post #38 - November 13th, 2007, 7:37 pm
    Post #38 - November 13th, 2007, 7:37 pm Post #38 - November 13th, 2007, 7:37 pm
    BR wrote:
    Ram4 wrote:I visit the Barnaby's on Touhy in Des Plaines more frequently and I think it is every bit as good as the one in Northbrook. .... But most of all, I love that crackery crust with the cornmeal underneath and that piping hot pizza.

heartily agree !!! I to am a regular at Barnaby's Des Plaines.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #39 - November 17th, 2007, 1:05 pm
    Post #39 - November 17th, 2007, 1:05 pm Post #39 - November 17th, 2007, 1:05 pm
    Guess what we're going to order for dinner tonight? I loves me the Barnaby's in N'brk.
  • Post #40 - November 17th, 2007, 3:09 pm
    Post #40 - November 17th, 2007, 3:09 pm Post #40 - November 17th, 2007, 3:09 pm
    sujormik wrote:Guess what we're going to order for dinner tonight? I loves me the Barnaby's in N'brk.

Amen to that! It's definitely on our pre-Thanksgiving lunch radar for this week. :)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #41 - November 19th, 2007, 11:40 am
    Post #41 - November 19th, 2007, 11:40 am Post #41 - November 19th, 2007, 11:40 am
    Sweet Willie wrote:
    BR wrote:I visit the Barnaby's on Touhy in Des Plaines more frequently and I think it is every bit as good as the one in Northbrook. .... But most of all, I love that crackery crust with the cornmeal underneath and that piping hot pizza.

heartily agree !!! I to am a regular at Barnaby's Des Plaines.
    Fixed that misquote of me for you.
  • Post #42 - November 20th, 2007, 2:26 am
    Post #42 - November 20th, 2007, 2:26 am Post #42 - November 20th, 2007, 2:26 am
    Barnaby's NBK brings back memories:

1) as a kid, it "took forever" and they had those numbers that lit up on a sign, 1-40??

2) North Shore high school partying and ending up there!! Mickey's big mouths/Little Kings in the parking lot and Barnaby's pizza, what a combo! Burp.
  • Post #43 - November 21st, 2007, 7:53 pm
    Post #43 - November 21st, 2007, 7:53 pm Post #43 - November 21st, 2007, 7:53 pm
    I grew up in South Bend and my entire family is Barnaby's fanatics. I spent most Friday and Saturdaynights there after high school games or skating at Howard park. I have lived in Virgina for the past 20 years and dream of the pizza often. My wife is from Conneticut and her family is big fans of spineless, soupy, pizza they refer to as Chicago Style. I would really like to find the crust recipe so I can introduce my kids into the best pizza in the world. Anyone know someone we could bribe?
  • Post #44 - November 24th, 2007, 12:42 pm
    Post #44 - November 24th, 2007, 12:42 pm Post #44 - November 24th, 2007, 12:42 pm
    this thread reminded us that there was a barnaby's down the street from our office in Schaumburg -- they offer a few lunch specials including chili and sandwiches, our choice being the individual thin pizza w. one topping (.60 for addl), either soup or one trip to the salad bar and a fountain drink w. free refills. crust didn't have much taste but was light and cripsy. sauce had good flavor with out being overpowering. a decent deal for $7(with a few leftover pieces of pizza for a late afternoon snack).
  • Post #45 - May 25th, 2008, 10:06 pm
    Post #45 - May 25th, 2008, 10:06 pm Post #45 - May 25th, 2008, 10:06 pm
    I too am a Barnaby's lover. We travel to Chicago area once or twice a year from Atlanta, and always have to go to Barnaby's. The one I grew up with, in Villa Park burned down 25 - 30 years ago, so we drive up to Shaumburg. It is still the same. Now if only they would ship it to Atlanta. We can get deep dish shipped here, but not the thin crust.

Cindy
  • Post #46 - May 26th, 2008, 8:25 am
    Post #46 - May 26th, 2008, 8:25 am Post #46 - May 26th, 2008, 8:25 am
    There are two Barnaby's in the South Bend area. One is on Jefferson across from Howard Park, na d the other is on the corner of Grape Rd. and Edison in Mishawaka. Both are very good. Neither takes credit cards.

http://www.bargraph.com/barnabys/index.html
  • Post #47 - May 26th, 2008, 10:20 am
    Post #47 - May 26th, 2008, 10:20 am Post #47 - May 26th, 2008, 10:20 am
    Gotta admit I do enjoy Barnaby's pizza. Like the others mentioned, it's the crust that makes the pizza. The other thing you never forget about barnabys is the fact that it's the darkest restaurant ever! After eating there, I step back into the parking lot and I feel as if my pupils were dialated! I see no shame in loving this relaxing and timeless pizza place.

http://www.hungryz.com/barnabys
  • Post #48 - June 12th, 2008, 3:23 pm
    Post #48 - June 12th, 2008, 3:23 pm Post #48 - June 12th, 2008, 3:23 pm
    This is my first posting to LTH.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's Barnaby's experiences over the years. Growing up near Niles in the 70's, Caldwell Avenue was the one we used to go to. Now living farther Northwest and working in Des Plaines I go to the Touhy Avenue and Arlington Heights locations. I agree they all seem to have their own variation on the crust. I did try the Northbrook location many years ago and thought that was my least favorite of the group. The crust seemed doughy and not as tasteful as the others. Maybe it's different now, it seems to be the most popular one from what I've read. Do they still have the tablecloths there though, c'mon it's Barnaby's for crying out loud! I almost felt guilty carving my initials into the table ;) Still, I'd rather go to any Barnaby's on a bad night than to any of the other thin crust pizza restaurants I've tried over the years. A friend of mine and I spend a lot of time in Michigan and feel a Barnaby's restaurant would be successful in the area we go to. Neither of us has worked at a Barnaby's but do have some limited experience working at restaurants. If anyone has information on how to pursue opening a Barnaby's or if any owners want to reply please pass it along.

Thanks
  • Post #49 - July 27th, 2008, 7:34 pm
    Post #49 - July 27th, 2008, 7:34 pm Post #49 - July 27th, 2008, 7:34 pm
    after what seemed like years of talking about visiting Barnaby's, the Missus, little one and I went to the Des Plaines/Touhy location today. I've lived in Chicago over 11 years and had never been, though i'd passed the nw burb locations many times.

Pizza was a 4/5, did a half sausage/g.p and half pepp/shroom. The crust v reminiscent of Malnati's but still v unique in its own right. Sauce and cheese was in.cred.i.ble !! amazing stuff and was piping hot upon arrival....when it came out it was prob only like the best "looking" pizza i've ever witnessed. The previous pics simply don't do it justice, and I only wish i had the camera handy to snap a shot...next time.

I loved the old school, bavarian style, (dark wood, windows, lighting..the nine) look, feel and vibe of the place...the whole seat/order/serve yourself just adds to the quirky charm of the place. It truly is a family style restaurant and it will now be on our short list for "going out for pizza" night.
    Never miss an opportunity to shut the Fv3k up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Post #50 - July 28th, 2008, 1:29 am
    Post #50 - July 28th, 2008, 1:29 am Post #50 - July 28th, 2008, 1:29 am
    I've had a few pizzas from the Niles location, it's on the way home from work and perfect timing- call in the order when I get in the car (can't let customers know I'm ordering pizza on the way home), drive fifteen minutes, have a beer, it's ready for the drive home. The crust is sourdough which makes it, IMO, the cornmeal is nice also. It's a great pie at the right price and I'd consider it one of the best in Chicagoland.
  • Post #51 - August 1st, 2008, 11:55 am
    Post #51 - August 1st, 2008, 11:55 am Post #51 - August 1st, 2008, 11:55 am
    The two in South Bend, IN are still good. The one on Jefferson Blvd. however is much better.
  • Post #52 - December 2nd, 2009, 7:10 pm
    Post #52 - December 2nd, 2009, 7:10 pm Post #52 - December 2nd, 2009, 7:10 pm
    I love the pizza at Barnaby, I worked in the Northbrook location thru High school not only is the pizza Great the Italian Beefs were really good to. I live in Florida now and have only been back 1 time in the last 5 years. I wish I had thought to write down the Recipes, I could make a fortune down here in South Florida. Last month I was driving down Apalachee Pkwy. in Tallahassee Florida and what do I see But a Barnabys I could not beleve my eyes I had to stop and had to have a Pizza. I called some friends in south Fl. and told them what I had found they made me Buy all the frozen par bakes I could get my hands on plus another 20 larges I had to fill my car with coolers to hold all the pizzas. I was told by the owner the will ship the out just call them.

Barnaby's Family Inn
    2331 Apalachee Pkwy, Tallahassee, FL
    (850) 878-8700
  • Post #53 - December 3rd, 2009, 12:47 pm
    Post #53 - December 3rd, 2009, 12:47 pm Post #53 - December 3rd, 2009, 12:47 pm
    thuge:
    You forgot the most important part- you didn't say how the Barnaby's pizza tasted in Tallahassee! Was it as you remembered in the Northbrook location, the real deal? Or close enough?
  • Post #54 - December 3rd, 2009, 11:39 pm
    Post #54 - December 3rd, 2009, 11:39 pm Post #54 - December 3rd, 2009, 11:39 pm
    sandman wrote:thuge:
    You forgot the most important part- you didn't say how the Barnaby's pizza tasted in Tallahassee! Was it as you remembered in the Northbrook location, the real deal? Or close enough?

We tried them and were not impressed. Not even close. It is better to make the trek to Illinois.
  • Post #55 - January 3rd, 2010, 2:57 pm
    Post #55 - January 3rd, 2010, 2:57 pm Post #55 - January 3rd, 2010, 2:57 pm
    My first post after much lurking over the last couple of weeks...decided to add to the Barnaby's thread as my inaugural effort since, while I have experienced (and loved) the Schwa's and Alinea's, my most enduring food love is actually a half cheese, half sausage pizza at Barnaby's in Northbrook. I agree with previous posters--Northbrook is superior in my book (although I haven't visited the SB locations or Schaumburg). I recently introduced my boyfriend and his two notoriously picky boys to Barnaby's and they actually liked it. Considering they only eat pizza and hotdogs, and can be highly critical of even that, I nearly cried when they were enthusiastic. Ok not really but I was relieved that I wouldn't have to break up with him if any of them dissed it.

A couple of thoughts...
    1) Barnaby's is best with fewer toppings. I'd never ordered a cheese only pizza until I was introduced to theirs and while I do like the sausage, i will never compromise a Barnaby's pie with a vegetable of any kind.

2)Was surprised that in all of the descriptions, no one mentioned one of the best quirks of the Barnaby's NBK experience--the funky pimento cheese spread and Ritz crackers offered for free on top of the counter next to the cash register. Hilarious.

Happy 2010 and I hope everyone enjoys some Barnaby's NBK in the New Year!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #56 - January 3rd, 2010, 3:43 pm
    Post #56 - January 3rd, 2010, 3:43 pm Post #56 - January 3rd, 2010, 3:43 pm
    Welcome, boudreaulicious, to LTHForum. :)

boudreaulicious wrote:. . . i will never compromise a Barnaby's pie with a vegetable of any kind.

I think you'd be very safe with onions. I generally won't order them on a pizza anywhere because they're almost always sliced too thick, applied too liberally and end up leaching moisture onto the pizza. However, they do such a great job with them at Barnaby's in Northbrook that I almost always order them. They're sliced very thin and applied judiciously. They end up caramelizing wonderfully and do not 'soggify' the pizza at all. My favorite combo at Barnaby's -- and the one I've been eating there for almost 30 years -- is pepperoni and onion.

=R=
  • Post #57 - January 4th, 2010, 5:26 pm
    Post #57 - January 4th, 2010, 5:26 pm Post #57 - January 4th, 2010, 5:26 pm
    Thanks Ronniesuburban! I think there is a sausage and onion pie in my near future!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #58 - August 30th, 2017, 12:20 pm
    Post #58 - August 30th, 2017, 12:20 pm Post #58 - August 30th, 2017, 12:20 pm
    7+ years since the last Barnaby's post (not directly about their Northbrook location)?! Happily, I can report a serious 'uphill alert' about the Niles location. This is based merely on a single visit but a couple of pizzas eaten in-house at today's lunch were as good as any I can ever remember having at Northbrook -- or ever -- at any Barnaby's location. I had previously written off the Niles location but today's lunch has me changing my tune. In fact, we were all so pleased with our pizzas that this will no doubt be moved back into our regular rotation immediately. Perhaps we can bypass forever driving the extra 11 miles to Northbrook when we're in the mood for Barnaby's. The Niles location is 0.5 miles from our office.

Also, fwiw, buffalo wings were great, too. There was a ton of sauce (better than too little) but the sauce tasted great and most importantly, under the sauce were plump, juicy, crispy-on-the-outside, fried-to-order wings.

So, Barnaby's Niles . . . you're back in the game, ours, at least, anyway. :wink:

=R=

7950 N Caldwell Ave
    Niles, IL 60714
    (847) 967-8600
    barnabysniles.com
  • Post #59 - August 30th, 2017, 1:52 pm
    Post #59 - August 30th, 2017, 1:52 pm Post #59 - August 30th, 2017, 1:52 pm
    With the way things have been going this year, seeing Barnaby's pop up on the new posts list made my heart race a little. VERY glad to hear the report was good and that it wasn't notification of anything closing!!!
  • Post #60 - August 30th, 2017, 2:04 pm
    Post #60 - August 30th, 2017, 2:04 pm Post #60 - August 30th, 2017, 2:04 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:With the way things have been going this year, seeing Barnaby's pop up on the new posts list made my heart race a little. VERY glad to hear the report was good and that it wasn't notification of anything closing!!!

Was also fun to run into your first-ever post here! :D

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events