LTH Home

BBQ Tour of Tennessee, South and West

BBQ Tour of Tennessee, South and West
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • BBQ Tour of Tennessee, South and West

Post #1 - June 9th, 2004, 2:01 pm
    Post #1 - June 9th, 2004, 2:01 pm Post #1 - June 9th, 2004, 2:01 pm
    You know, it's funny that Ann Fisher would just post a link to a Roadfood discussion. As I continue researching options for my weekend trip, I came across this account of a tremendous BBQ excursion throughout SW Tennessee, also from Roadfood. Reading at first, I thought the scope dwarfed the Chicago project--on closer look they seemed to eat less, and spend less time, but they cut a wider geological swath. I wish Hays in Lexington, TN was a bit closer to our route. I haven't read the whole thread, but I think some of the BBQ aficionados might enjoy it. (Caveat: there is a fair amount of logistical planning and banter to wade through, but the meat, so to speak, is there too.) In the meantime, check out this picture of Hays' smoker:

• Post #2 - June 9th, 2004, 7:31 pm
    Post #2 - June 9th, 2004, 7:31 pm Post #2 - June 9th, 2004, 7:31 pm
    I was fascinated by the SFA site referenced in that thread. I think my favorite item had to be when they interviewed Sam and Mary Donald of Sam's BBQ. Sam was 82 at the time and still doing the hard work that is authentic BBQ. At the close of the interview Mr. Donald was asked if he had any closing thoughts, to which he replied "No, I sure don't. Except, unless it's cooked by wood, it's not good BBQ."

I now plan every trip I make anywhere near that direction to see if I can afford the time to hit one (or more) of the referenced BBQ joints.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more