LTH Home

Katsu, God of Sushi redux

Katsu, God of Sushi redux
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Katsu, God of Sushi redux

Post #1 - June 10th, 2004, 11:21 am
    Post #1 - June 10th, 2004, 11:21 am Post #1 - June 10th, 2004, 11:21 am
    #2 in my series of The Essentials. Collect 'em all!

I do not remember what converted me to Mexican food. All I know is, as a child I found the bland refried beans and Spanish rice at a Wichita chain called Felipe's (still extant, amazingly) to be one of the least appetizing foods I had ever encountered. Nor did I share my sisters' enthusiasm for Taco Tico, the local Taco Bell-like chain, with its thoroughly Americanized takes on the most basic forms of Mexican food. Usually I ordered the Tacoburger. But somehow, by college or a little after, I managed to try enough semi-authentic places (Connie's El Mexico perhaps the standout) that I realized that what I didn't like about Mexican was the part that wasn't Mexican at all, and my journey was begun at last.

I know exactly when I was finally converted to sushi and sashimi: December 27, 2002, at Katsu.

But having thus appetized you, let me back up. I didn't hate Japanese food. I tolerated it. My friends would drag me at lunch to a place called Ya Na Se downtown, which I enjoyed less for the food than for its trapped in the 60s, World's Fair of '64 and Pan Am building, Japanese salaryman scarfing down noodles surrounded by smiling, short-haired JAL stewardesses ambience. (In fact the cooks were mostly Hispanic, and the waitresses were pretty middle-aged, but whatever. It was a trip out of the office and into a Seijun Suzuki movie.)

So at some point, I don't remember when, I mentioned to G Wiv that I used to go to Ya Na Se, and he said I should check out Katsu, since Katsu himself used to work there (long before my time). But to pick up with my post on another board after this momentous dinner:

...I took my friend Wyatt (another, actually a considerably more enthusiastic, Ya Na Se fan). How did we like it? Well, the hostess (Mrs. Katsu?) comes up to us at one point and says, "Is everything okay?"
  • Post #2 - June 10th, 2004, 2:14 pm
    Post #2 - June 10th, 2004, 2:14 pm Post #2 - June 10th, 2004, 2:14 pm
    Whoops, I can't believe I forgot this photo. This is the premium fatty toro (tuna) in front/right, and yellowtail behind/left. You can see how silky soft the toro is, can't you? Mmmm.

• Post #3 - June 11th, 2004, 5:30 pm
    Post #3 - June 11th, 2004, 5:30 pm Post #3 - June 11th, 2004, 5:30 pm
    If there could ever be an alternative to Katsu, Dee's may be a worthy contender. Because of my relocation from Chicago, I have not had an opportunity to have the sushi there, I have it on good authority that it is worth checking out.

The sushi chef at Dee's is no other than Katsu's brother, Matsu. Apparently, Matsu was a consultant to Katsu's menu and serves many similar dishes at Dee's.

Dee's is firstly a Chinese restaurant in Lincoln Park. I tend not to appreciate the Chinese restaurants that add a sushi bar to diversify their offerings, but the sushi bar at Dee's is different. Matsu subleases the space from Dee and has full control of his menu and pricing.

Other than the sushi/Japanese food, Dee's is not worth the trip.

Dee's is located at 1114 West Armitage.

I'd love to hear any opinions of anyone who has actually dined there.

Shirley
    Hammer
  • Post #4 - May 12th, 2006, 4:12 pm
    Post #4 - May 12th, 2006, 4:12 pm Post #4 - May 12th, 2006, 4:12 pm
    Aynone been to Dees recently? They have had some interesting sushi chefs in in the past. How is their sushi nowadays?

J

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more