LTH Home

Perfect half day adventures: Veterans, Filberts, Eds, BomBon

Perfect half day adventures: Veterans, Filberts, Eds, BomBon
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Perfect half day adventures: Veterans, Filberts, Eds, BomBon

Post #1 - June 7th, 2005, 4:44 pm
    Post #1 - June 7th, 2005, 4:44 pm Post #1 - June 7th, 2005, 4:44 pm
    I have not taken a Saturday off of home chores or work (other than days out of town) for some time and it was long overdue.

After reading Rene G’s posts on Tamales, and in particular following the link to his post on Veteran Tamale Shop, I knew it was time for a little trip to the Southside.

Even after making a few batches of hommade soda that morning (See Process Here), I also wanted to hit Filbert's for some insiration, backup and general summer stockup for my nephews.

Round that out with lunch at Ed's Potsticker House...post here more times, than you need links to....we had the perfect makings of a Half Day Chow Adventure.

Rene G describes the VTS in as much detail as you need; however, I would add that they have plenty of catering supplies if you are throwing a party...this could be a one-stop party shop. The folks that were behind the counter were extremly pleasant...more so than I would be working on a Saturday.

The guy at Filbert's pop shop said business was slow all day...given one of the first hot weekends, I thought this a bit strange. I'm not sure if they raised the prices, but I paid $9 a case, still worth the fun of picking them out. Better still, I managed to snag some grapefruit soda, which there never seem to have had any other time I stopped.

We finished up with lunch at Ed's. Spot on as usual. An Asian gentlemen even leaned over when he saw that I had ordered the pork and scallion pancake and remarked that we ordered some good stuff. I said it was one of my favorites....I need to go more often.

You can hit all three of these places in the span of an hour and a half with lunch. We busted the time budget and headed to BomBom for dessert. Kahlua Tre Leches, carmel empanada and a lemon merinuge tarta that rocked.

Perfect half day adventure. :)

pd

Veteran Tamale Shop
    "A Chicagoland Favorite Since 1947"
    3133 S Archer Av
    (a very short walk from the Orange Line Ashland stop)
    Chicago
    773-927-1282
    Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm; Sat, 8am-4pm

Ed's Potsticker House
    3139 S. Halsted St.
    Chicago, IL 60608

Filberts Pop Shop
    3430 S. Ashland
    Chicago, IL 60608

BomBon Bakery
    1508 W. 18th St.
    Chicago
    312-733-7788
    Unchain your lunch money!
  • Post #2 - November 16th, 2007, 8:24 am
    Post #2 - November 16th, 2007, 8:24 am Post #2 - November 16th, 2007, 8:24 am
    pdaane wrote:The guy at Filbert's pop shop said business was slow all day...

Peter,

I'm guessing business is slow is the norm at Filbert's and, for the life of my I don't know why. $9 for a case of 24 bright flavored sodas in glass bottles, with Black Cherry worthy of national recognition, warehouse/factory of the type that's on the endangered species list, and a cool old time production line that would make Rube Goldberg smile.

Filbert's

The fellow on duty was quite helpful, giving us a Filbert's history lesson, custom packing a case of 24 sodas, just generally friendly, an honestly nice fellow.

Enjoy,
    Gary

Filberts Quality Beverages
    3430 S. Ashland
    Chicago, IL 60608
    773-847-1520
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #3 - November 19th, 2007, 8:49 pm
    Post #3 - November 19th, 2007, 8:49 pm Post #3 - November 19th, 2007, 8:49 pm
    As Gary's pictures show, Filbert's has an impressive display of beverage cans and bottles. The display was put up in the last year so I hadn't seen it before and spent a fair bit of time admiring it. I was particularly fond of the G-H section of soda bottles.

• Post #4 - March 28th, 2008, 7:37 pm
    Post #4 - March 28th, 2008, 7:37 pm Post #4 - March 28th, 2008, 7:37 pm
    Anyone happen to know if Filbert's is still open on Saturdays? I called, but they were already closed and the recording doesn't say.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more