LTH Home

chicken boti at khan's [Khan BBQ reopened at new location]

chicken boti at khan's [Khan BBQ reopened at new location]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 13
  • Post #121 - September 1st, 2007, 11:17 am
    Post #121 - September 1st, 2007, 11:17 am Post #121 - September 1st, 2007, 11:17 am
    cilantro wrote:(I know this is really pedantic, but it's actually "karahi" -- nothing to do with the city. May make ordering easier.)

Not pedantic at all. I wasn't sure which way I read it and I looked it up on Menupages which had it as "karachi".

Thanks for the correction.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #122 - September 5th, 2007, 9:35 pm
    Post #122 - September 5th, 2007, 9:35 pm Post #122 - September 5th, 2007, 9:35 pm
    Lunch at Khan this coming Tuesday. If you are interested, please join in.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #123 - November 5th, 2007, 9:45 am
    Post #123 - November 5th, 2007, 9:45 am Post #123 - November 5th, 2007, 9:45 am
    kuhdo wrote:Gary:
    Glad you enjoyed the broasted chicken. It's become one of my favorite dishes at Khans ever since it reopened. I really like this stuff. As I have noted before, if Harold's opened a Chicken Shack in Karachi, this is what they'd serve. All that's missing is some good slaw to go along. Paki soul food at it's finest .

I gotta agree, it was truly exceptional on our last visit. The finest pieces of fried chicken I've ever eaten. No joke. It was just that perfectly cooked.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #124 - November 5th, 2007, 10:35 am
    Post #124 - November 5th, 2007, 10:35 am Post #124 - November 5th, 2007, 10:35 am
    My boyfriend and I finally tried Khan's BBQ for the first time this weekend. We ordered the chicken boti and frontier chicken with naan. We really enjoyed it and can't wait to go back. Both dishes are definitely worthy of all the praise it gets here on LTHforum. Here's where we felt ignorant :oops: : we weren't sure what to do w/the plate of onions, lettuce and cucumbers served w/the yogurt sauce. We also weren't sure how to eat the chicken boti. I felt like it was good enough on its own. Since the frontier chicken was spicy, I ate that with the naan. Next time, I think we will order the frontier chicken rice.
  • Post #125 - November 5th, 2007, 10:38 am
    Post #125 - November 5th, 2007, 10:38 am Post #125 - November 5th, 2007, 10:38 am
    Very good question.

I have arrived at eating the cucumber and coriander yogurt on a bit of the chicken, sometimes wrapped in naan; but I have no idea if they shudder in horror every time I do this. I know I like it though, the way my 6-year-old likes his grilled sockeye salmon dipped in ketchup.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #126 - November 11th, 2007, 10:23 am
    Post #126 - November 11th, 2007, 10:23 am Post #126 - November 11th, 2007, 10:23 am
    Question -

How many times can I go to Khan on a Friday for noon lunch before I get it through my thick skull it does not open until 2pm on Fridays?

I believe this last Friday makes 4-times.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #127 - November 19th, 2007, 8:54 pm
    Post #127 - November 19th, 2007, 8:54 pm Post #127 - November 19th, 2007, 8:54 pm
    I went to Khan BBQ this past friday and loved it. I ordered the Chicken Boti (medium-spicy), naan, and tried some of a friend's Chick-peas. We're talking GOOD food-- everything was just so well flavored, complex. The chicken was incredibly juicy, and the chick-peas were so pleasingly spiced-- it made me pretty happy.

The men who worked at Khan BBQ were particularly helpful and kind. The waitors kept checking in just the right amount, in a very caring sort of way. At the end of the meal, as i was leaving, I asked if I could take a look at the meat. As I was looking into the barbecue at the skewers of meats, their smells rushing up to me, the Khan approached me out of no where and told me to follow him. He opened up another large oven (I'm not sure about the terminology?), and instructed me in a very low, soothing voice on how to remove the naan from the oven. I just wanted to stay there by the grill and learn everything from him!
  • Post #128 - December 19th, 2007, 8:06 am
    Post #128 - December 19th, 2007, 8:06 am Post #128 - December 19th, 2007, 8:06 am
    LTH,

Jazzfood put a difficult to resist notice of a palate adjusting Khan lunch on the events board and nine of us partook in, among many dishes, killer crisp broasted chicken, delicious daal and spicy/moist chicken boti that disappeared from the table so quickly I thought Doug Henning had joined us for lunch.

Broasted chicken with a bit of crispy goodness peeled away to show spice penetration.

Khan Broasted Chicken

Intense looking group, then again we're talking Khan BBQ Chicken Boti

I don't particularly find Tandori Fish at Khan memorable, fine, ok, not bad, but in comparison to the way other Khan BBQ dishes pop it's not on my Khan short list. Though it is quite photogenic.

Tandori Fish

Good call Jazzfood, terrific meal, great company, killer Chicken Boti.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #129 - December 19th, 2007, 8:22 am
    Post #129 - December 19th, 2007, 8:22 am Post #129 - December 19th, 2007, 8:22 am
    I think that may have been the "hit the spot" lunch of 2007. I was amazed -- even though we were at Khan -- just how fast that food disappeared.

I enjoyed the tandoori fish if for no other reason than I'd never tried it before. And Gary's right, it's definitely photogenic . . .

Tandoori Fish

Thanks again, Alan, for setting this up. It was very much appreciated.

=R=
  • Post #130 - December 19th, 2007, 9:26 am
    Post #130 - December 19th, 2007, 9:26 am Post #130 - December 19th, 2007, 9:26 am
    Yesterday the vegetable dishes were especially good-- the spinach was as good as I've ever had. For some reason they're more variable than the meat but half the time they're really good, Khan should not be overlooked for that.

Thanks for exactly the right idea for lunch, Jazzfood.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #131 - December 19th, 2007, 9:45 am
    Post #131 - December 19th, 2007, 9:45 am Post #131 - December 19th, 2007, 9:45 am
    Great time, convivial group, and you know the food was good when there were several moments of complete silence as new dishes were being consumed.
  • Post #132 - December 19th, 2007, 10:53 am
    Post #132 - December 19th, 2007, 10:53 am Post #132 - December 19th, 2007, 10:53 am
    Just what the Dr. ordered. Mission accomplished.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #133 - December 19th, 2007, 10:58 am
    Post #133 - December 19th, 2007, 10:58 am Post #133 - December 19th, 2007, 10:58 am
    Anyone got a good idea for where to park up by Khan's, I have tried to go twice now , once a couple of weekends ago when we were going to make Khan's and Honey 1 a lunch 2-fer, and once a last weekend, and that area is a madhouse, and all the side street parking requires a neighborhood sticker.

Public transportaion is not a consideration/option, where do those who drive up there park?
  • Post #134 - December 19th, 2007, 11:04 am
    Post #134 - December 19th, 2007, 11:04 am Post #134 - December 19th, 2007, 11:04 am
    jimswside wrote:Anyone got a good idea for where to park up by Khan's, I have tried to go twice now , once a couple of weekends ago when we were going to make Khan's and Honey 1 a lunch 2-fer, and once a last weekend, and that area is a madhouse, and all the side street parking requires a neighborhood sticker.

Public transportaion is not a consideration/option, where do those who drive up there park?

I just generally circle for a while until a spot opens up. The neighborhood is definitely busy but turnover on parking places is pretty regular. I've also parked on side streets from time to time but I never noticed the 'permit only' signs. Did I just get lucky or are some of the side streets open for non-permitted vehicles?

=R=
  • Post #135 - December 19th, 2007, 11:05 am
    Post #135 - December 19th, 2007, 11:05 am Post #135 - December 19th, 2007, 11:05 am
    jimswside wrote:Anyone got a good idea for where to park up by Khan's, I have tried to go twice now , once a couple of weekends ago when we were going to make Khan's and Honey 1 a lunch 2-fer, and once a last weekend, and that area is a madhouse, and all the side street parking requires a neighborhood sticker.

Try the side streets past the metered areas on the northwest side of the Devon-Western intersection; they should be free of permit parking (save for the rapidly increasing handicapped parking spots going up as of late). Of course, many other Devon diners/shoppers have got the same idea, so parking a city block or two away isn't entirely uncommon on any given day. Good luck with the parking situation!

A local, you could say,
    Dan
  • Post #136 - December 19th, 2007, 11:10 am
    Post #136 - December 19th, 2007, 11:10 am Post #136 - December 19th, 2007, 11:10 am
    Thanks for the tips,

I tried the circling method, but was unlucky, and hungry, so we moved on. The walking a few blocks is not an issue, I just may have to expand my circling radius. THis place is on the top of my to-try list right now
  • Post #137 - December 19th, 2007, 11:27 am
    Post #137 - December 19th, 2007, 11:27 am Post #137 - December 19th, 2007, 11:27 am
    The side streets north of Devon and south of Albion are almost all permit parking now. If you can't find parking on Devon or Western, Warren Park (two blocks north of Khan's on Western @ Albion) has a huge parking lot.
  • Post #138 - December 19th, 2007, 12:04 pm
    Post #138 - December 19th, 2007, 12:04 pm Post #138 - December 19th, 2007, 12:04 pm
    jimswside wrote:Thanks for the tips,

I tried the circling method, but was unlucky, and hungry, so we moved on. The walking a few blocks is not an issue, I just may have to expand my circling radius. THis place is on the top of my to-try list right now

I eat on Devon Ave. frequently. I never have a hard time finding a spot because I'm willing to walk a few blocks. For Khan's, I generally park on Western, within a few blocks north or south of Devon. I've never had a problem. For restaurants further west or east of Devon, the worst I ever have to do is park near California or Damen, respectively. A 3-4 block walk is generally my worst-case.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #139 - December 19th, 2007, 1:53 pm
    Post #139 - December 19th, 2007, 1:53 pm Post #139 - December 19th, 2007, 1:53 pm
    The last 3 times I have been to Kahn's there have been several empty spaces around the corner just south of Devon on the West side of Western, just past the cab stand where there is construction going on.
  • Post #140 - December 19th, 2007, 2:16 pm
    Post #140 - December 19th, 2007, 2:16 pm Post #140 - December 19th, 2007, 2:16 pm
    RobS wrote:The side streets north of Devon and south of Albion are almost all permit parking now. If you can't find parking on Devon or Western, Warren Park (two blocks north of Khan's on Western @ Albion) has a huge parking lot.

The two bank parking lots just north and south of Devon on Western (Devon Bank and another I can't currently recall) are part of that open-lots agreement for weekday evenings (until 10) and possibly weekends for public parking I read about a while back. (The local chamber of commerce, I believe, sent out a map for parking options in the area; another bank lot closer to California was part of the deal, too.)

As for street parking, I remember parking on Artesian and Campbell just north of Devon (and west of Western) on a number of occasions without needing a permit, but I know for a fact that Campbell and Maplewood (the next street west of Western) are permit-free south of Albion and north of Arthur (between Devon and Albion), if not also between Arthur and Devon. If you're willing to walk a long block, parking shouldn't be too bad -- except for post-snowdrift days and ethnic-parade weekends.

Hope that helps,
    Dan
  • Post #141 - December 19th, 2007, 4:24 pm
    Post #141 - December 19th, 2007, 4:24 pm Post #141 - December 19th, 2007, 4:24 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I think that may have been the "hit the spot" lunch of 2007. I was amazed -- even though we were at Khan -- just how fast that food disappeared.

I enjoyed the tandoori fish if for no other reason than I'd never tried it before. And Gary's right, it's definitely photogenic . . .
    I liked the fish, but I am a fan of catfish (was it catfish or talapia? some kind of muck eater). It was crispy outside and moist inside. It was not a "mind blower" like the chicken dishes, but very good for what it was. If the fish was served outside the context of the meal, I would have really enjoyed it, but it does pale in comparison to some of Kahn's other offerings.

I am always floored by the Dal Palak (or is it Palak Dal) at Kahn. It is such a simple dish, yet somehow Khan manges to give it a complex earthy flavor that I have never found elsewhere. This is surprising for such a meat-centric establishment. The other vegetable dishes (Bindi, Aloo Gobi) were good but not as remarkable.

When we first ordered, the waiter was a little amused at the number of dishes we asked for. After he read back the order, I said that it would make a good start, which made him laugh. The funny thing is that as the meal progressed, I believe we actually added 3 or 4 more dishes. By the end of the meal, every last scrap was consumed and the plates were wiped clean. As we left, Jazzfood had a big grin on his face with his eyes rolling backwards in the ecstatic expression of a junky who just had a fix. I propose we make Khan Barbecue a monthly lunchtime event, so none of us have to go through boti withdrawls again (shall we say the 3rd tuesday of every month?).

eatchicago wrote:
    cilantro wrote:(I know this is really pedantic, but it's actually "karahi" -- nothing to do with the city. May make ordering easier.)

Not pedantic at all. I wasn't sure which way I read it and I looked it up on Menupages which had it as "karachi".

Actually, eatchicago is right, the old Kahn menu, which is pictured on the first page of the thread, did indeed call the dish "Karachi Goshth", which always confused me. I noticed yesterday that the new menu lists it as "karahi gosht", pronounced ka-rai, after the vessel in which it is cooked (now who is being pedantic?).
    Last edited by d4v3 on December 19th, 2007, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #142 - December 19th, 2007, 4:34 pm
    Post #142 - December 19th, 2007, 4:34 pm Post #142 - December 19th, 2007, 4:34 pm
    Love the imagery, love the idea of a monthly botifest khanarval and loved the dal palak as well. We could have definitely used more.
  • Post #143 - December 19th, 2007, 6:04 pm
    Post #143 - December 19th, 2007, 6:04 pm Post #143 - December 19th, 2007, 6:04 pm
    d4v3 wrote:I am always floored by the Dal Palak (or is it Palak Dal) at Kahn. It is such a simple dish, yet somehow Khan manges to give it a complex earthy flavor that I have never found elsewhere. This is surprising for such a meat-centric establishment. The other vegetable dishes (Bindi, Aloo Gobi) were good but not as remarkable.

Amazing what a good demi-glace can do isn't it? :wink:
  • Post #144 - December 19th, 2007, 8:45 pm
    Post #144 - December 19th, 2007, 8:45 pm Post #144 - December 19th, 2007, 8:45 pm
    Stagger wrote:Amazing what a good demi-glace can do isn't it? :wink:
    good point. Then again, Sabri Nehari is another meat-centric place, but their Dal Palak is not so good.
  • Post #145 - December 20th, 2007, 9:14 am
    Post #145 - December 20th, 2007, 9:14 am Post #145 - December 20th, 2007, 9:14 am
    d4v3 wrote:
    Stagger wrote:Amazing what a good demi-glace can do isn't it? :wink:
    good point. Then again, Sabri Nehari is another meat-centric place, but their Dal Palak is not so good.

I was just kidding, I think think the only animal products in the Dal Palak is a judicious use of dairy. I do agree that the flavor is deeper than pretty much any other version I have had and I, not being the biggest fan of any long cooked greens, would order this again and again.
  • Post #146 - December 20th, 2007, 9:50 am
    Post #146 - December 20th, 2007, 9:50 am Post #146 - December 20th, 2007, 9:50 am
    I guess I've been lucky because over my many trips to Khan, only once was the Daal Palak not up to spec. The difference was noticeable and I was a bit disappointed but the friends I was hosting, who'd never been there before, still thought it was great.

=R=
  • Post #147 - December 20th, 2007, 10:34 am
    Post #147 - December 20th, 2007, 10:34 am Post #147 - December 20th, 2007, 10:34 am
    Can you say "umami"?
  • Post #148 - December 20th, 2007, 4:48 pm
    Post #148 - December 20th, 2007, 4:48 pm Post #148 - December 20th, 2007, 4:48 pm
    My one and only complaint about the numerous portions of Chicken Boti and Frontier Chicken I've had is that, occasionally, I bite a small piece of bone and/or gristle in the chicken. I realize this often comes with the territory however, I do wish they exercised a bit more care with prepping the delicious chicken.
    I love restaurants. You're sitting there and all of a sudden, there's food. It's like magic.
    - Brian Wilson
  • Post #149 - December 21st, 2007, 12:39 am
    Post #149 - December 21st, 2007, 12:39 am Post #149 - December 21st, 2007, 12:39 am
    fastfoodsnob wrote:
    RobS wrote:The side streets north of Devon and south of Albion are almost all permit parking now. If you can't find parking on Devon or Western, Warren Park (two blocks north of Khan's on Western @ Albion) has a huge parking lot.

The two bank parking lots just north and south of Devon on Western (Devon Bank and another I can't currently recall) are part of that open-lots agreement for weekday evenings (until 10) and possibly weekends for public parking I read about a while back. (The local chamber of commerce, I believe, sent out a map for parking options in the area; another bank lot closer to California was part of the deal, too.)
    Hope that helps,
    Dan

Iam pretty sure the bank parking lots are not available on most of
    the weekends.. definitely Saturdays. No? I usually try and go to
    Khan's on weekend evenings, and parking is usually available
    on the street nearby.

At other times.. if you go east down Devon, past Western and
    past Tahoora.. the side streets both north and south of Devon
    have metered parking for stretches as well. Those arent bad
    places to look.

Finally, south of Devon and west of Western, about a block or
    so south IIRC (not far from Talman), I believe there is a school
    that has an arrangement with the Devon Merchants Assoc.
    that allows the use of their parking lot of weekends. Its only
    a block-and-a-half walk to the Indian sectino of Devon from
    there (though almost nobdy is aware of it, the Merchants
    Assoc having done a particularly bad job of publicizing it :-)
    In general, if youre at Devon on a very busy day, thats a
    good place to find parking, so Ive been told (since Iam too
    lazy to walk a couple blocks, I try to avoid weekend days,
    or else just drive in circles and curse, like everyone else :-)

c8w
  • Post #150 - December 21st, 2007, 7:42 am
    Post #150 - December 21st, 2007, 7:42 am Post #150 - December 21st, 2007, 7:42 am
    c8w wrote:or else just drive in circles and curse, like everyone else :-)

We both utilize the exact same technique. ;)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more