LTH Home

Kevin's Place in Deerfield

Kevin's Place in Deerfield
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Kevin's Place in Deerfield

Post #1 - December 7th, 2007, 8:03 pm
    Post #1 - December 7th, 2007, 8:03 pm Post #1 - December 7th, 2007, 8:03 pm
    I've tried searching this website and can't find anything on Kevin Quigley's restaurant on Waukegan Rd. just north of Deerfield Rd.

Kevin's Place is located where the Cherry Pit used to be. Kevin bought it and claims to have completed his build outs in one and a half weeks. He opened KP in May 2006.

The motif is a blast from the past with a bowling theme. The staff even wears bowling shirts. It's a classic Midwest diner.

IMO two things stand out - the freshness of the food and Kevin himself. The food is top notch and so is their coffee.

My wife and I have been there with our kids and grandkids for many years, even when Kevin worked weekends at the Cherry Pit. In all that time, we've never heard a kid misbehave and need reprimanding from their parents. I think it's a conditioned reflex. Kevin is great with the little ones and they have lots of kids-oriented goodies like Mickey Mouse pancakes and M&M or chocolate chip silver dollar pancakes. Hot chocolate features sprinkles (Jimmis to you out of towners). It's a great family place. Take the little ones and enjoy.

Some of the house specialties include a wide variety of 3-egg omelettes, oatmeal pancakes and "Crunchy Deerfield Toast" coated with honey and oats cereal.

As shown below, KP is opened only for breakfast and lunch, but they'll arrange for private parties any day of the week.

I'd love to hear from others who have been there to get their reactions.

Best,
    GP Bob

Kevin's Place
    808 Waukegan Rd.
    Deerfield, IL
    phone: 847-945-4577
    fax: 847-945-4475
    Tues - Fri: 7 am to 2 pm
    Sat. & Sun.: 8 am to 2 pm
    Private parties: any day
  • Post #2 - December 7th, 2007, 9:10 pm
    Post #2 - December 7th, 2007, 9:10 pm Post #2 - December 7th, 2007, 9:10 pm
    Is this his proud father plugging his business! Good for you!

Remember when it used to be Harry's Grill? Deerfield institution and hangout for decades...
  • Post #3 - December 7th, 2007, 9:25 pm
    Post #3 - December 7th, 2007, 9:25 pm Post #3 - December 7th, 2007, 9:25 pm
    We take our son here all the time it is a great spot for breakfast. Kevin is a wonderful guy and makes everyone feel at home. Bring cash. he doesnt take credit cards.

Also, Rhapsody Cafe down the block (next to Traxx) is another good breakfast spot. It is a typical greek coffee shop/diner.
  • Post #4 - December 8th, 2007, 2:18 am
    Post #4 - December 8th, 2007, 2:18 am Post #4 - December 8th, 2007, 2:18 am
    To answer Sandman's question above, Kevin Quigley is not my son. I have one son who is a graphic designer and another who is an internist. And would a person with the last name of Levi have a son by the name of Quigley? :lol:

Kevin is indeed a nice guy and my wife and I were there for breakfast this morning. She suggested that I post something about Kevin's Place to get the word out about a kid-friendly, nice family restaurant in the area.

Besides cash which iblock9 mentions, Kevin will take a check. I guess he doesn't like costs associated with taking credit cards. As a small business owner, credit cards can eat up your profit quickly, so IMO I think it's a good idea on Kevin's part.

Best regards,
    GP Bob
  • Post #5 - December 9th, 2007, 9:31 am
    Post #5 - December 9th, 2007, 9:31 am Post #5 - December 9th, 2007, 9:31 am
    As a longtime Deerfield resident, (who is also not related to Kevin) :wink:
    I can definately agree that he is a ton of fun from back in the Cherry Pit days to now! We were delighted to see him take over the CP and turn it into Kevin's Place. It seemed a perfect thing to do. He has broadened the selection of menu items and kept the old faves. We love going here. Food is great and people are fun!
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #6 - December 9th, 2007, 9:42 am
    Post #6 - December 9th, 2007, 9:42 am Post #6 - December 9th, 2007, 9:42 am
    Hi,

If Kevin was part of the Cherry Pit team, then is the food the same or better than the Cherry Pit?

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #7 - December 9th, 2007, 11:34 am
    Post #7 - December 9th, 2007, 11:34 am Post #7 - December 9th, 2007, 11:34 am
    Cathy2 wrote:

If Kevin was part of the Cherry Pit team, then is the food the same or better than the Cherry Pit?

Carmen Vargas was the chef at the Cherry Pit and continues on with Kevin's Place. He's still got the favorites from the CP and Kevin has encouraged him to get creative and try new things. His soups and specials are usually very good.

Another Deerfield resident not related to Kevin.
  • Post #8 - December 9th, 2007, 12:16 pm
    Post #8 - December 9th, 2007, 12:16 pm Post #8 - December 9th, 2007, 12:16 pm
    Hi,

I went to the Cherry Pit a few times, though I wasn't overwhelmed by the breakfast I had. I will certainly seek out the soup and specials. Can you offer any tried-and-true items from the regular menu?

Regards,
  • Post #9 - December 9th, 2007, 1:03 pm
    Post #9 - December 9th, 2007, 1:03 pm Post #9 - December 9th, 2007, 1:03 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

I went to the Cherry Pit a few times, though I wasn't overwhelmed by the breakfast I had. I will certainly seek out the soup and specials. Can you offer any tried-and-true items from the regular menu?

Regards,

They have a Chorizo/egg skillet for breakfast that's really nice. I'm rarely there for lunch, however.

=R=

Yet another Deerfield resident not related to Kevin :wink:
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #10 - December 20th, 2007, 1:07 pm
    Post #10 - December 20th, 2007, 1:07 pm Post #10 - December 20th, 2007, 1:07 pm
    HI,

I went to Kevin's today for lunch. The place is very personality driven, which can be a hazard. What if you don't cotton to the personality? What if people do like it and you are not there, then do they go somewhere else?

When we sat down, there was the usual inquiry for drinks. When I glanced to see a canned pop was $1.50 and iced tea with free refills was $2.50, I decided to postpone any decision on a drink. Helen ordered coffee. Since the specials were recommended, I did inquire: turkey burger with something I cannot recall and fresh cucumber dressing on the side. Today's soup was vegetarian vegetable soup.

If I am still reading the menu, then maybe it is a big hint I am not ready to order. Kevin asked if we had any questions, which I didn't because I was still reading the breakfast menu. I didn't look up because I was trying to signal I still needed time. He stood there waiting instead of walking away. Eventually Helen placed her order, though I wasn't quite ready. He kept waiting. I found myself scanning the menu to find something in an odd way to keep Kevin happy. I finally went with my default order: Reuben melt. I inquired, "Is this a real Reuben?" "What do you mean?" Literally the eyeballs were rolling around this question. "Is this open face or fully assembled, then griddled?" "We assemble it, then grill it together." Since Jewish deli's who ought to know better now serve it open face, this is not an unreasonable question.

We were seated in front of the griddle to watch our food being made. The portioned corned beef was heated on the griddle and a bit later the sauerkraut warmed. The Wonder bread-ish rye bread was griddled with cheese on one side with thousand island sauce placed on both piece of bread. Eventually the corned beer and sauerkraut was added, then griddled a short time more. Once the Reuben was sliced, pickles, apple sauce and sweet potato fries completed the dish. I thought the grillman would immediately hand me my plate. Instead it was put over to a waiting area for Kevin to deliver it personally.

Helen had a rib-eye sandwich, which once her plate was assembled with the sweet potato fries was handed to her immediately. Kevin came by to inquire if she wanted more coffee. When Helen declined Kevin offered this compliment, "Good eye contact when you talk." This bizarro comment we figured had to do with my not looking at him when I was really not ready to order and wanted to read the menu. Of course, when you think a restaurant is your big living room with people to entertain, then why not throw zingers at the guests.

If this type of heavy interaction with the restaurant owner is your cup of tea, then you have a destination.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #11 - December 20th, 2007, 2:55 pm
    Post #11 - December 20th, 2007, 2:55 pm Post #11 - December 20th, 2007, 2:55 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:If this type of heavy interaction with the restaurant owner is your cup of tea, then you have a destination.

Cathy2,

I am by no means a huge fanboy for this place, it is fine for breakfast with my kid, but so are a lot of places. It is true that Kevin takes every order himself and runs most dishes and the place definitely reflects his style. He has always been charming and very kind when I have eaten at his place which has been at least a dozen times. Maybe you caught him on a bad day.

Nevertheless, i would not write off this decent, locally owned diner based on one bad experience. While your opinion is certaintly your own and no doubt you are entittled to same, it is pretty heavy handed considering your gripe is mostly about the service and the fact that you dont appreciate Kevin's "personality" I think that Kevins is a nice option in an area where some of the other choices for breakfast in the immediate vicinity are Panera, McDonalds, Baker's Square, Starbucks , etc. I prefer a little excentric personality with my breakfast in place of starbuckserfdom or a Mc Griddle. I would encourage you to give this guy another shot
  • Post #12 - December 20th, 2007, 4:46 pm
    Post #12 - December 20th, 2007, 4:46 pm Post #12 - December 20th, 2007, 4:46 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:If I am still reading the menu, then maybe it is a big hint I am not ready to order.
    It means absolutely nothing. I might read the menu after I'm ready to order, just to double check. I might read the menu because I don't know what I want. I might read the menu upside down because I'm a nut. Just because that's your personal thing that you do, don't jump on someone for not knowing your habits.

Kevin asked if we had any questions, which I didn't because I was still reading the breakfast menu. I didn't look up because I was trying to signal I still needed time.
    You were trying to signal? :roll: Telepathy didn't work? Cathy, not everyone catches these supposed signals. If you assume he could read your mind by your "hint" then you assumed wrong. He obviously didn't get the hint by standing there waiting did he? YOU should have caught that yourself when he was too slow to get it, but you didn't. Give the guy a break and tell him (using words, not hints) that you need more time.

I've never been to this place myself, and I'm not a fan of kid friendly places, so I might pass on this.
  • Post #13 - December 20th, 2007, 4:51 pm
    Post #13 - December 20th, 2007, 4:51 pm Post #13 - December 20th, 2007, 4:51 pm
    iblock9 wrote:
    While your opinion is certaintly your own and no doubt you are entittled to same, it is pretty heavy handed considering your gripe is mostly about the service and the fact that you dont appreciate Kevin's "personality"

Heavy handed? You've got to be kidding.

If "Kevin" would have made that snarky comment to my dining companion ( with the intent of ME hearing it ) I would have let him have it with both barrels.

It appears that Cathy2 was not abusive to him in any way, so why should she be subjected to a crappola comment like that?

Believe me, as much as I despise the chain options mentioned, I would rather patronize them and get robotic responses from their employees than flagrant contempt from this guy.
    Last edited by cito on December 20th, 2007, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #14 - December 20th, 2007, 5:18 pm
    Post #14 - December 20th, 2007, 5:18 pm Post #14 - December 20th, 2007, 5:18 pm
    cito wrote:Heavy handed? You've got to be kidding.

If "Kevin" would have made that snarky comment to my dining companion ( with the intent of ME hearing it ) I would have let him have it with both barrels.

It appears that Cathy2 was not abusive to him in any way, so why should she be subjected a crappola comment like that?

Believe me, as much as I despise the chain options mentioned, I would rather patronize them and get robotic responses from their employees than flagrant contempt from this guy.

Who accused Cathy2 of being abusive? Not me. I dont tolerate rude waiters either, let alone the owner being rude. This hasnt been my experience at Kevins with Kevin, someone I find to be pleasant. I was hoping he was having a bad day and that she would give him another chance. If she hated the food, and it doesnt look like she loved it to me, then thats another story. A rueben poorly prepared is a sad thing i agree :(
  • Post #15 - December 20th, 2007, 5:49 pm
    Post #15 - December 20th, 2007, 5:49 pm Post #15 - December 20th, 2007, 5:49 pm
    iblock9 wrote:Who accused Cathy2 of being abusive? Not me. :(

Let me clarify--

The "crappola" comment that I was referring to was the comment made by Kevin to Cathy2's companion, NOT the "heavy handed" reference that you made. I am in no way suggesting that you accused Cathy2 of being abusive.

My apology for not being more clear---
  • Post #16 - December 20th, 2007, 6:47 pm
    Post #16 - December 20th, 2007, 6:47 pm Post #16 - December 20th, 2007, 6:47 pm
    No doubt, the 'schtick is thick' at Kevin's Place but the food is better-than-average diner fare. However, if I'm not in the mood for the schtick, I avoid the place because it is -- for better or for worse -- an inextricable part of the experience.

=R=
  • Post #17 - December 20th, 2007, 8:00 pm
    Post #17 - December 20th, 2007, 8:00 pm Post #17 - December 20th, 2007, 8:00 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:However, if I'm not in the mood for the schtick, I avoid the place because it is -- for better or for worse -- an inextricable part of the experience.

Ron,

I've never been to Kevin's Place, but this sounds like how I felt about Sarkis when Sarkis himself still owned the joint, though I seem to indicate otherwise in this post.

Sarkis had a Big, with a capitol B, personality and if you were not in the mood for his schtick it was best to go somewhere else. I may try Kevin's one of these days, but Cathy's opinion weighs heavy with me and Deerfield is out of my typical pathway.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #18 - December 20th, 2007, 9:04 pm
    Post #18 - December 20th, 2007, 9:04 pm Post #18 - December 20th, 2007, 9:04 pm
    Hi,

I didn't grasp from the prior posts that there was any schtick. Now anyone who chooses to go has been forewarned. I know there are people who will gravitate to it. However I can see people avoiding it, which may not benefit his business in the long run.

Some years ago, I took my Mom to Ed Debevic's, which also has schtick. The actor-waiter started to engage my Mom in some exchange. However once he detected she was earnestly responding to him, then he cut the schtick out like a curtain dropped. I was impressed how well he read the situation.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #19 - December 20th, 2007, 10:16 pm
    Post #19 - December 20th, 2007, 10:16 pm Post #19 - December 20th, 2007, 10:16 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

I didn't grasp from the prior posts that there was any schtick. Now anyone who chooses to go has been forewarned. I know there are people who will gravitate to it. However I can see people avoiding it, which may not benefit his business in the long run.

Some years ago, I took my Mom to Ed Debevic's, which also has schtick. The actor-waiter started to engage my Mom in some exchange. However once he detected she was earnestly responding to him, then he cut the schtick out like a curtain dropped. I was impressed how well he read the situation.

Regards,

Well, I do think Kevin is sincere and that the schtick is genuine, if that makes any sense. It's truly his thing and I don't believe it's an act, it's just sometimes not a good match for my mood, or yours, apparently :wink:

=R=
  • Post #20 - December 21st, 2007, 11:00 am
    Post #20 - December 21st, 2007, 11:00 am Post #20 - December 21st, 2007, 11:00 am
    Kevin is without a doubt a VERY high energy personality, with a capital P.
    If you feel like a low key meal without having to engage at all with your order taker you are probably better off elsewhere.

However, if you like it when someone remembers your name, and asks you how things are going, or even (gasp) perhaps gives you a little hug or asks your kids how their teachers are this year...(or picks out all the green gumballs for your son, because your son likes the green ones best)
    you might enjoy spending a few minutes with Kevin.

I know on the rare occasions we have gone to Kevins or the Cherry Pit and it was his day off, the lights seemed somehow dimmer, and chocolate milk somehow...thinner, with less satisfaction, because Kevin always brings it "with whipped cream and sprinkles just the way you know you like it"

Yes he's a little over the top at times, but just like the afore-mentioned Ed Debevic's (which BTW I SO miss having in Deerfield) it can be a wonderful thing on the right day...

Of course that being said it is not everyone's cup of Tea, and it may not be Cathy's- I know there are plenty of places out there that others love that just aren't for me either....

The great thing about these forums is that we all get to learn more about places before we go so we all get a better idea of which places may be hits for us personally, lessening the chance of hitting a personal clunker...
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #21 - December 28th, 2007, 3:54 pm
    Post #21 - December 28th, 2007, 3:54 pm Post #21 - December 28th, 2007, 3:54 pm
    Reuben Melt
    Cathy2

• Post #22 - December 31st, 2007, 9:14 am
    Post #22 - December 31st, 2007, 9:14 am Post #22 - December 31st, 2007, 9:14 am
    Obviously, I haven't checked this thread in a while, so I'd like to weigh in with a few comments:
    I believe that Kevin just wants to make his customers feel good and offer a level of service that may not be found elsewhere. Everyone has an off day and Kevin might have had one the day Cathy and her friend visited.
    How many of you have been to establishments where the owner exudes charm that's as phony as a three-dollar bill? Several come to mind that I won't mention. I feel that when Kevin asks about you and your family, he might really care.
    Kevin is truly great with the kids who come to his restaurant. Besides that, he's directed Deerfield Park District young people theater productions and at least once (that I know of) emceed an event at one of the local elementary schools. So he's basically a good-hearted soul and has given of himself to the community.
    He's truly great with the little ones. So if you have little kids or grandkids, bring them to Kevin's Place. You'll gain points in their eyes.
    As it has been mentioned above, Kevin's Place isn't for everyone. However, he does have a strong local customer base so he must be doing something right. I feel that Kevin's Place is a nice alternative to the chain establishments in the area.
    BTW - I'm still not Kevin's Dad. (See earlier posts.)
    Have a Happy New Year everyone.
    Regards,
    GP Bob
  • Post #23 - January 2nd, 2008, 9:24 am
    Post #23 - January 2nd, 2008, 9:24 am Post #23 - January 2nd, 2008, 9:24 am
    Even during the worst service situations I have in recent memory, the server didn't have their head in the clouds enough (or sheer audacity) to try and take my order while I was obviously still scanning the menu.

While I have never worked in the industry, if there is a "Top 10 Rules Of The Server Profession" I would imagine that "WITH THE EXCEPTION OF UNIQUE SITUATIONS, YOU SHOULD GENERALLY NOT ATTEMPT TO TAKE AN ORDER WHEN A CUSTOMER IS STILL LOOKING AT THE MENU" has to be somewhere between 5 & 10. I'm with you there Cathy, and would have been out of there in a second after the backhanded comment he threw towards you a few minutes later.

I would think there's probably a split right down the middle as to people who like this kind of place and those that don't. I'm glad the one side really enjoys it and always pull for an independent place to survive, but you can find me at another down the road like Egg Shell Cafe or Eggsperience any day over this place.
  • Post #24 - January 30th, 2008, 4:18 pm
    Post #24 - January 30th, 2008, 4:18 pm Post #24 - January 30th, 2008, 4:18 pm
    As a longtime customer of KP's and the Cherry Pit before that, I'd like to weigh in. Kevin's shtik is precisely *why* many people go there. I can see why someone could be put off by it. In fact, when my son first went there when he was 3, he was freaked out by Kevin. But like so many other kids and families who regularly go there, my kids have come to appreciate his personality. It's a true neighborhood restaurant--last time we were there, there were probably 3 or 4 other families there that we knew.

It seems unfair that the review says not word one about the quality of the food. We're breakfast-goers, so I can't comment on the lunch food, but we love the breakfasts there and rarely have ordered a dish that flopped. Egg dishes are all great, as are pancakes and French toast. Don't let Cathy's response dissuade you if you're looking for a cozy breakfast spot in the northern 'burbs. Just be prepared for Kevin's goofy and somewhat theatrical personality.
    Josh Charlson
  • Post #25 - January 30th, 2008, 6:25 pm
    Post #25 - January 30th, 2008, 6:25 pm Post #25 - January 30th, 2008, 6:25 pm
    I have never been to Kevin's Place, but I have been to Kevin's Website.

http://www.kevins-place.com

With a website like this, one can only expect the sort of atmosphere and experience that people have described in this thread. You're dealing with a man who puts a photograph of himself on the men's room door... under a sign that says "Drama."
  • Post #26 - January 30th, 2008, 6:33 pm
    Post #26 - January 30th, 2008, 6:33 pm Post #26 - January 30th, 2008, 6:33 pm
    Josh,

I was thinking about Kevin's yesterday when there was a discussion of Patty's diner. There are reports both Kevin and Patty are good civic citizens via donations of time and in-kind. While Kevin's has his shtik, Patty's is known for an occasional grumpiness. Both have their fans and those who know it is not their taste.

You will never mistake Patty's for cozy atmosphere, it is bare bones what you see is what you get. Patty's skills as grill master with well executed diner food is why people go there. I have yet to encounter the grumpiness people have reported, though I guess it is just a matter of time.

Kevin's diner food is not on par with Patty's, though each have their fans. While many people will enjoy his shtik and come for the atmosphere, I am more driven by the food. I am fairly certain Patty's lack of coziness and grumpiness would not work in Deerfield unless it was a longstanding institution grandfathered into the local culture. Many people have told me Kevin is an institution in his own right who was often in the Deerfield parade as Kevin from the Cherry Pit. The recent changing of the guard will allow Kevin to go as Kevin.

Believe it or not, there have been people who privately advised they are eager to try Kevin's due to my comments. They like to support interesting personalities who have non-chain establishments. I never told people not to go, however they now understand better what to expect. Just as people who read through the Patty's topic have the same full spectrum of opinion available to them. Experienced internet food websites readers do not let one opinion rule their decisions. If my experience was an anomaly, then there will be many reports to quiet my voice by their experience. People also know there are posters whose tastes reflect theirs or don't and make their decisions based on this history.

We are pleased you registered to offer your opinion today. I hope we will learn more about your restaurant favorites as time goes on.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #27 - March 1st, 2016, 10:55 am
    Post #27 - March 1st, 2016, 10:55 am Post #27 - March 1st, 2016, 10:55 am
    Kevin's Place, venerable Deerfield diner, shuts its doors

ChicagoTribune.com wrote:Kevin Quigley brought a sunny optimism to his Deerfield diner that was as much a draw for customers as the breakfast and lunch items on the menu.

But the owner of Kevin's Place couldn't mask his disappointment last week when he announced on Facebook that he was closing his eatery at Waukegan and Deerfield roads.

"Sorry to wear my emotions on my shirt sleeve," Quigley wrote. "Today I closed Kevin's Place ... a dream of mine and a place where friends helped me, and hopefully I helped others make their dreams come true."

He said he needed to vacate his storefront at 808 Waukegan Road by March 15.

=R=
  • Post #28 - March 1st, 2016, 6:29 pm
    Post #28 - March 1st, 2016, 6:29 pm Post #28 - March 1st, 2016, 6:29 pm
    Although I live in Buffalo Grove, I never heard of this place until reading this thread. I was curious about what I had missed and did a little online looking around. It sounds like Kevin is battling cancer and that's why he's closing down. There is a GoFundMe page to help pay his employees a final check and perhaps help with some of Kevin's bills.
  • Post #29 - May 3rd, 2016, 5:12 am
    Post #29 - May 3rd, 2016, 5:12 am Post #29 - May 3rd, 2016, 5:12 am
    A storefront diner that has been an institution in downtown Deerfield for the past 24 years has been revived by three former employees under its original name, Cherry Pit.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/d ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #30 - May 12th, 2019, 1:40 pm
    Post #30 - May 12th, 2019, 1:40 pm Post #30 - May 12th, 2019, 1:40 pm
    Same place, different owners, new-old name: Cherry Pit.

According to their facebook page: a new place to try an Impossible Burger.
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more