LTH Home

What are you serving for the Super Bowl?

What are you serving for the Super Bowl?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 6
  • What are you serving for the Super Bowl?

Post #1 - January 30th, 2008, 11:49 am
    Post #1 - January 30th, 2008, 11:49 am Post #1 - January 30th, 2008, 11:49 am
    I was planning on doing either pulled pork or baby backs (have not made these in years, pretty much stick to spares) on the WSM, maybe grab some cheese/cured meats with crackers and perhaps pigs in a blanket. Other than that I am not really sure.

What are your fav dips/apps/finger-food, etc?

Jamie
  • Post #2 - January 30th, 2008, 11:52 am
    Post #2 - January 30th, 2008, 11:52 am Post #2 - January 30th, 2008, 11:52 am
    Chili, wings and baby backs for me.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #3 - January 30th, 2008, 11:55 am
    Post #3 - January 30th, 2008, 11:55 am Post #3 - January 30th, 2008, 11:55 am
    Firing up the smoker for some St. Louis Ribs, and Brisket.

Also making chicken wings in the deep fryer, guacamole & chips, as well as steaming some snow crab legs, (or Dungeness crab if I can find a couple)

We will be drinking cold beer(budwesier/miller), as well as tequila. I also took Monday off to recuperate.

pretty much my typical weekend eats, nothing out of the ordinary for the Super Bowl
  • Post #4 - January 30th, 2008, 11:59 am
    Post #4 - January 30th, 2008, 11:59 am Post #4 - January 30th, 2008, 11:59 am
    The last few times I've needed an app/dip, I've gone to Middle Eastern Bakery on Foster (at Clark) to pick up hummus and baba ganouj. They've got pita in several forms as well as a selection of olives. So if you need something addition for your spread but don't want/don't have time to make, it's a good option. The spicy baba ganouj is excellent!

Aside from that, I have to agree with Stevez on my favorites...wings, ribs & chili. I'd also add make your own tacos (or fajitas) as well.
  • Post #5 - January 30th, 2008, 12:22 pm
    Post #5 - January 30th, 2008, 12:22 pm Post #5 - January 30th, 2008, 12:22 pm
    Cold shrimp, cold blue or dungenous crabs, texas chili ... for two.
  • Post #6 - January 30th, 2008, 12:44 pm
    Post #6 - January 30th, 2008, 12:44 pm Post #6 - January 30th, 2008, 12:44 pm
    I first discovered this grilled wing recipe in one of those cookbooks that Williams Sonoma produces about 15 years ago. To this day, it is my favorite wing preparation. I typically use more hot sauce and lots of garlic in addition to the standard recipe. Obviously, they're best cooked over wood or charcoal. But, your gas grill and some wood chips in a pan will do in a pinch (as it will for me on Sunday):

http://www.napoleongrills.com/Webshare/ ... recipe.htm
  • Post #7 - January 30th, 2008, 12:50 pm
    Post #7 - January 30th, 2008, 12:50 pm Post #7 - January 30th, 2008, 12:50 pm
    I have been "summoned" by the hosts of the party we are attending to bring 3 trays of "Old Forge, PA" style pizza- crispy squares from a 50 yr old pizza pan I was gifted from my aunts bar.

While hers was very simple, I will do 2 toppings per tray- Procuitto, sausage, pancetta, green/red/yellow/orange peppers, pepperoni and plain. It is crispy enough to hold straight out and topped with muenster, brick and mozz cheese.
  • Post #8 - January 30th, 2008, 1:46 pm
    Post #8 - January 30th, 2008, 1:46 pm Post #8 - January 30th, 2008, 1:46 pm
    Capsu78 wrote:It is crispy enough to hold straight out and topped with muenster, brick and mozz cheese.

How do you get a crust this crispy? Is it just your wonderful pan or do you have some other secret?
  • Post #9 - January 30th, 2008, 7:20 pm
    Post #9 - January 30th, 2008, 7:20 pm Post #9 - January 30th, 2008, 7:20 pm
    Thought about smoking for a while, but I've settled on buttermilk fried chicken made my usual way, some buttermilk biscuits, mac & cheese and a dessert or two yet to be determined.
  • Post #10 - January 31st, 2008, 10:13 am
    Post #10 - January 31st, 2008, 10:13 am Post #10 - January 31st, 2008, 10:13 am
    Not a big football fan. Too bad for me, this seems like a fun thing to cook for!
    I can't believe I ate the whole thing!
  • Post #11 - January 31st, 2008, 10:37 am
    Post #11 - January 31st, 2008, 10:37 am Post #11 - January 31st, 2008, 10:37 am
    I've now been requested to make the chili that was the winner in last year's office pre-Super Bowl Chili Cook Off. I had mentioned it here about a year ago in a chili thread. The recipe was a complete "wing it" on my part. But, it ended up producing a slightly sweet, smoky and spicy chili:

2 Sam Adams beers
    2 1/2 pounds skirt steak cut into 1 inch chunks
    2 1/2 lbs "meat loaf mix" ground pork, ground beef, ground veal
    1 lb coarsely ground chuck
    1 lb chorizo, skin removed
    1/2 lb Beef Garlic Summer Sausage ala Hickory Farms
    1 tbsp dried mexican oregano
    6 tbsp Spice House Hot Chili Powder
    6 tbsp Spice House Mild Chili Powder
    2 tbsp Spice House Chili Con Carne Base Spice Mix
    2 Large Onions diced
    8 cloves garlic minced
    1 tbsp ground cumin
    1 tbsp sweet paprika
    1 Can Chipotles in Adobo chopped with adobo reserved
    1 Red Bell Pepper diced
    1 4oz can mild chopped green chilis with juice
    2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
    2 28 oz can black beans drained
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
    1/3 cu Masa Harina
    1/3 cu water
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Olive Oil

To a heavy hot stock pot add a three count of Olive Oil. Season all of the meat with 1 Tbsp of each of the chili seasonings. Brown off all of the meat in batches so as to not overcrowd the pan. While the meat browns, in a separate large pan, begin carmelizing the onions, bell peppers, chipotles, and canned canned mild peppers in a two count of olive oil.

Drain the meat of excess fat leaving 1/3 cup for flavor and return it to the heavy stcok pot. Add garlic to meat mixture letting it cook for 2-4 minutes until softened. Ad the remainig sauteed vegetables to the meat mixture folding it in. Add the remaining chili spice mixes, cumin and paprika to the meat and vegetables. Add two bottle of beer allowing it to reduce by half over medium high heat.

When the beer has reduced add the two cans crushed tomato, black beans, brown sugar, balsamic and the remaing adobo from the chipotles to the mixture.

Simmer gently for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or transfer to a large crock pot and cook overnight. Serve with shredded cheddar and sour cream.
    Last edited by YourPalWill on February 1st, 2008, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #12 - January 31st, 2008, 10:58 am
    Post #12 - January 31st, 2008, 10:58 am Post #12 - January 31st, 2008, 10:58 am
    12345ne,
    I have a secret :D It is possibly my "signature dish" and I have spent a good part of 20 years trying to recreate a taste from my youth so there is some technique involved; however I am also certain the experts on this forum could easily deconstuct my pizza.

The pan is part of it- it is called the "magic pan", and I actually am asked to bring it on the plane for family gatherings- including when our mom passed...

I would say use a black pan, highest heat you can get (475- 500) and peanut oil. I prebake just the dough and sauce and toppings 11-12 minutes, remove and put the cheese blend on for 4 more.

Here is a website that discusses Old Forge pizza , or you can google for even more info:
    http://www.jigsyspizza.com/old_forge.html

A longer discussion i found with pictures
    http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index. ... 082.0.html
  • Post #13 - January 31st, 2008, 12:06 pm
    Post #13 - January 31st, 2008, 12:06 pm Post #13 - January 31st, 2008, 12:06 pm
    I can attest to the quality of YourPalWill's chili recipe. I used it for our New Year's Day open house and we had very little left.

YourPalWill -- I just noticed your instructions mention tomato puree, but the ingredient list specifies crushed tomatoes. I used crushed tomatoes and it was fabulous.

-Mary
  • Post #14 - February 1st, 2008, 12:07 pm
    Post #14 - February 1st, 2008, 12:07 pm Post #14 - February 1st, 2008, 12:07 pm
    Thinking of doing a series of dips/stuff that can all be tossed into a tortilla for those who need a burrito:

guacamole
    thick chorizo & black bean dip (not quite a chili)

If I get the time to prep it the night before, the King of Kurtopia chicken but as chicken wings or maybe just drumsticks or something like that, but then I also have to clean the grill... :?
  • Post #15 - February 1st, 2008, 12:27 pm
    Post #15 - February 1st, 2008, 12:27 pm Post #15 - February 1st, 2008, 12:27 pm
    GP, agreed that crush tomatoes make a better end chili product. The recipe has been edited to reflect that change.
  • Post #16 - February 1st, 2008, 2:53 pm
    Post #16 - February 1st, 2008, 2:53 pm Post #16 - February 1st, 2008, 2:53 pm
    Here's the recipe for what won me a chili cookoff on Championship Sunday. I'll be serving it or something like it again this Sunday.

1/2 lb or so of mild chorizo
    4-5 onions, chopped
    6-7 garlic cloves, chopped
    7-8 serrano peppers, finely diced
    2-3 Tbs or so of fresh ground cumin seeds
    2 bay leaves
    2 cinnamon sticks
    two 3-4lb bone-in pork shoulders seasoned with S+P
    one 12 oz bottle Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or other beer with lots of hops
    1 quart or so of brown stock (chicken, beef, pork, whatever)
    4 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled, and large-diced
    8 tomatillos, roasted for about 45 minutes, then pureed in a blender
    fresh cilantro and crema or sour cream for serving

In a large dutch oven, cook the chorizo over low heat to render the fat, then drain and return the fat to the pot. Sweat the onions, garlic, and serranos in the chorizo fat, with the cumin and some S+P, until translucent. Remove and set aside. In the same pot, brown the pork shoulders one at a time, on all sides. If your stove's hood is as crappy as mine, now's a good time to put on a jacket and open a window in the kitchen. Or shut off your smoke detector. Add the onion mixture back into the pot with the pork, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, beer, and stock. Let come to barely a simmer, then cover and place in 250 degree for about 4 hours. More is fine. Remove the meat and shred it with a couple of forks. At this point, the best thing to do is refrigerate the liquid separately from everything else. Then, the next day, remove the hardened layer of fat from the liquid and return it to the pot with the shredded meat, tomatillo puree, previously cooked chorizo, and poblanos and you're done. The longer it sits around the better it'll be. Day 3 is ideal. Serve with some fresh cilantro and a dollop of crema or sour cream
  • Post #17 - February 2nd, 2008, 12:29 pm
    Post #17 - February 2nd, 2008, 12:29 pm Post #17 - February 2nd, 2008, 12:29 pm
    we were just talking about this and my wife requested that i make nachos. "oh, I know!" she said, "nachos! like those bad, old-school nachos with ground beef, refried beans, jalapeno rings, and lots of sour cream".

This spurned a discussion of which nacho method is better--the big ol' pile method where everything but the kitchen sink is just layered and piled on, or the "one chip at a time" method where each chip gets a little portion of cheese, meat, pepper, etc.

we decided we wanted the big ol' pile. THEN we started talking about how the cheese can be so problematic. It's like, the first two or three nachos you eat, the cheese is perfect. melty, stretchy, and good. but then, about two minutes in, it congeals and you either pull out a blank chip, leaving all the toppings behind, or you pull your chip out and drag half the toppings with you, bringing down the whole house of cards.

so i suggested that i could make a cheese sauce, but my wife blanched at that idea, mentioning negative experiences with 'pump' cheese. which i understand.

I think i'm still going with the cheese sauce idea, but i'll just make a quality one, starting with a bechamel and mounting in some high quality cheese.

anyone else have any opinions on nachos? the big pile vs. the one-chip-at-a-time? thoughts? ideas?
  • Post #18 - February 2nd, 2008, 12:59 pm
    Post #18 - February 2nd, 2008, 12:59 pm Post #18 - February 2nd, 2008, 12:59 pm
    I just made a big ole pile o' nachos for the conference championship games 2 weeks ago and they went well. One suggestion use real Mexican or muenster cheese and just put it thru the shredder and layer the entire platter, it works so well and taste so much better than regular old melted orange cheese. Good luck.
  • Post #19 - February 2nd, 2008, 2:00 pm
    Post #19 - February 2nd, 2008, 2:00 pm Post #19 - February 2nd, 2008, 2:00 pm
    what kind of "mexican" cheese are you talking about? chihuahua?
  • Post #20 - February 2nd, 2008, 2:44 pm
    Post #20 - February 2nd, 2008, 2:44 pm Post #20 - February 2nd, 2008, 2:44 pm
    elakin wrote:anyone else have any opinions on nachos? the big pile vs. the one-chip-at-a-time? thoughts? ideas?

I would wonder if the cheese sauce would end up making the chips soggy? You could always layer the chiips with cheese in between them all.

We modified our food plan and are doing:
    3 racks baby backs
    Wings (cajun spiced, maybe some jerk)
    Layered Taco dip
    Cheeses (stilton/brie/new zealand cheddar/gouda)
    Various cured sliced meats (a combo pack of three from CostCo)
    Pigs in a blanket (cut up Viennas and some Morningstars for the wife)
    Apple slices with caramel sauce
    Veggies w/ dip

For drinks a mini-keg of Bell's Two Hearted, bombers of Stone Smoked Porter, Stone Ruination IPA, Lagunitas Imperial Stout, my own Delirium Tremens clone and a mixed case of Goose Islands beers.

Jamie
  • Post #21 - February 2nd, 2008, 9:54 pm
    Post #21 - February 2nd, 2008, 9:54 pm Post #21 - February 2nd, 2008, 9:54 pm
    whoa. forget about my nacho idea. i'm comin' to your house!
  • Post #22 - February 3rd, 2008, 10:01 pm
    Post #22 - February 3rd, 2008, 10:01 pm Post #22 - February 3rd, 2008, 10:01 pm
    Jamieson22 wrote:
    elakin wrote:anyone else have any opinions on nachos? the big pile vs. the one-chip-at-a-time? thoughts? ideas?

I would wonder if the cheese sauce would end up making the chips soggy? You could always layer the chiips with cheese in between them all.

3 racks baby backs
    Layered Taco dip
    Veggies w/ dip

For drinks a mini-keg of Bell's Two Hearted, bombers of Stone Smoked Porter, Stone Ruination IPA, Lagunitas Imperial Stout, my own Delirium Tremens clone and a mixed case of Goose Islands beers.

Jamie

Dude, you put me in a food coma! What a meal, the ribs and wings turned out excellent, great flavor on the ribs and just the right amount of spice on the wings. Wish I tried the Delirium Tremens Clone though! Good stuff .
  • Post #23 - February 4th, 2008, 6:33 pm
    Post #23 - February 4th, 2008, 6:33 pm Post #23 - February 4th, 2008, 6:33 pm
    jglynn wrote:
    Jamieson22 wrote:

3 racks baby backs
    Layered Taco dip
    Veggies w/ dip

Jamie

Dude, you put me in a food coma! What a meal, the ribs and wings turned out excellent, great flavor on the ribs and just the right amount of spice on the wings. Wish I tried the Delirium Tremens Clone though! Good stuff .

Yea... I went home and was in bed no more than 30 min after all that food! Deliciously brutal!
  • Post #24 - January 22nd, 2009, 1:42 pm
    Post #24 - January 22nd, 2009, 1:42 pm Post #24 - January 22nd, 2009, 1:42 pm
    If there is another thread dedicated to Super Bowl eats please feel free to merge this thread. I did a quick search and didnt see anything.

Super Bowl Sunday is one of my favorite days of the year. Typically a group of friends/family come over, and we drink, eat, and watch the game. This year will be no different. Once again I have the day after the Super Bowl off to recover, so the gloves will be off as far as my menu. I will be firing up the smoker for the first time in 2009. Most likely using a mesquite, and perhaps some green tea leaves as my smoking medium.

Tentative menu:

Appetizers:

- homemade guacamole and blue corn tortilla chips
    - deep fried, brined chicken wings with homemade blue cheese dressing. carrots & celery sticks

Mains:
    - 4 lbs. of snow crab legs, steamed, served with lemon wedges, and butter
    - Smoked babyback ribs(sauce on the side)
    - Mufaletta sandwich(mortadella, salami, capicola, provolone, and olive spread from Caputo's)
    - smoked kilbasa served with sauerkraut & mustard

Sides:
    - Potato salad
    - pasta salad

Dessert:
    - I dont eat desert but maybe I will whip something up, or have a guest bring something.

Beverage:
    - Miller High Life in the can(I am just a good ol' boy, and proud of it)
    - Tequila(most like likely cazadores, and maybe a bottle of Herradura anejo).

slainte
    Last edited by jimswside on January 23rd, 2009, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #25 - January 22nd, 2009, 4:06 pm
    Post #25 - January 22nd, 2009, 4:06 pm Post #25 - January 22nd, 2009, 4:06 pm
    I'm not much of a football fan--in fact, I'm no kind of a football fan--but your food sounds fantastic, Jim. You and other Super Bowl party givers might be amused to learn that, according to a recent survey by Visa, nearly two-thirds of Americans host a Super Bowl party. How there is anyone left in these United States like me who doesn't attend such a party is not clear. At any rate, apparently the 69% of Chicagoans who throw Super Bowl bashes spend an average of $191 on food, beverages, and other items.
  • Post #26 - January 22nd, 2009, 4:09 pm
    Post #26 - January 22nd, 2009, 4:09 pm Post #26 - January 22nd, 2009, 4:09 pm
    EvA wrote:I'm not much of a football fan--in fact, I'm no kind of a football fan--but your food sounds fantastic, Jim. You and other Super Bowl party givers might be amused to learn that, according to a recent survey by Visa, nearly two-thirds of Americans host a Super Bowl party. How there is anyone left in these United States like me who doesn't attend such a party is not clear. At any rate, apparently the 69% of Chicagoans who throw Super Bowl bashes spend an average of $191 on food, beverages, and other items.

thanks,

I am more of a baseball fan, but enjoy any excuse to gather folks together and cook for them.

If I get my taxes done this weekend, and know that I am going to get my return quickly I am considering replacing the crab legs with 12 lbs. of live crawfish for a crawfish boil. I would get the crawfish from a place in Louisiana.
  • Post #27 - January 22nd, 2009, 6:14 pm
    Post #27 - January 22nd, 2009, 6:14 pm Post #27 - January 22nd, 2009, 6:14 pm
    What time should I bee there? :wink:
  • Post #28 - January 22nd, 2009, 6:57 pm
    Post #28 - January 22nd, 2009, 6:57 pm Post #28 - January 22nd, 2009, 6:57 pm
    Jim - Do you mind posting the amount of liquids used in your brine for the korean wings (viewtopic.php?p=234170#p234170)? I want to make those for my party.

Other eats include: Guacamole, salsa verde, chipotle meatballs, braised pulled pork and some desserts not sure which ones yet.
  • Post #29 - January 22nd, 2009, 10:21 pm
    Post #29 - January 22nd, 2009, 10:21 pm Post #29 - January 22nd, 2009, 10:21 pm
    eva wrote:
    You and other Super Bowl party givers might be amused to learn that, according to a recent survey by Visa, nearly two-thirds of Americans host a Super Bowl party.

How is that physically and numerically possible? Do you have a link to this "survey"? Sounds a bit dubious, to say the least, and I'd like to see how they arrived at this number.
  • Post #30 - January 22nd, 2009, 10:24 pm
    Post #30 - January 22nd, 2009, 10:24 pm Post #30 - January 22nd, 2009, 10:24 pm
    That occurred to me, too. Many of them must be awfully lonely parties. Doesn't leave many people to attend.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more