LTH Home

Kalbi from Joong Boo

Kalbi from Joong Boo
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Kalbi from Joong Boo

Post #1 - May 7th, 2008, 11:36 am
    Post #1 - May 7th, 2008, 11:36 am Post #1 - May 7th, 2008, 11:36 am
    My original mission was to procure some live blue crabs for tackling recipes from this month's Saveur "American Crab" issue. That late in the afternoon the crabby buddies were not looking too frisky at all. So with some time on my hands, I cruised the seafood and meat counter in hopes of finding something a bit fresher. What I stumbled across was heavenly marbleized kalbi, boneless, sliced thin, and rolled into neat little bundles. Behold:
    It was a little late in the game for a properly matured marinade, but I figured with meat this nice it would hardly matter. I gave the pound and a quarter of meat two hours in: half a cup shoyu, two tablespoons sugar, four minced garlic cloves, three minced spring onions, a splash of sesame oil, two cranks on the black pepper grinder, and a healthy sprinkle of chile flakes.
    After a neighborhood wide search for lump hardwood charcoal, I surprisingly scored at K-mart, which also had a not-bad selection of hardwood for smoking needs.
    I whipped up a kimchi tofu salad and cold sesame soba noodles (buried in garnish) for a bright and refreshing early summer's eve supper.
    The meat was melt-in-your-mouth tender, smoky charred, just the best.
    Rolled in shiso leaves, which provided a crisp and herbal counterpoint to the meat, this was a simple, yet sophisticated (and cheap- the meat was 6.49 per lb.!) meal that wowed my people.

Joong Boo (aka Chicago Foods)
    3333 N. Kimball Ave.
    Tel: (773)-478-5566.
  • Post #2 - May 7th, 2008, 1:15 pm
    Post #2 - May 7th, 2008, 1:15 pm Post #2 - May 7th, 2008, 1:15 pm
    Oh boy oh boy! Good looking meat, nice looking finished product!

Don't know about shiso leaves--what are they, what do they taste like?

Awfully nice pix, too. Tnx for taking time off from cooking/eating to share them with us.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #3 - May 7th, 2008, 1:38 pm
    Post #3 - May 7th, 2008, 1:38 pm Post #3 - May 7th, 2008, 1:38 pm
    Just beautiful - I see the shiso leaves around and am also curious about them; they look like they'll hold up a bit better than the more often used red lettuce.
  • Post #4 - May 7th, 2008, 2:50 pm
    Post #4 - May 7th, 2008, 2:50 pm Post #4 - May 7th, 2008, 2:50 pm
    Geo wrote:Don't know about shiso leaves--what are they, what do they taste like?

Shiso or Perilla http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perilla is an herb popular in Asian cuisines, most often used fresh, even as a green vegetable. It has a flavor profile somewhere between the mentholated qualities of mint and the rounded soapiness (in a good way) of cilantro. I am most familiar with its uses in Japanese and Korean cuisines as a wrap for meats, fish, and rice, nit unlike the use of lettuce for similar purposes.

Mhays wrote:I see the shiso leaves around and am also curious about them; they look like they'll hold up a bit better than the more often used red lettuce.

They do indeed have a more sturdy structure than leaf lettuce and are also incredibly more interesting, flavorwise. I have had Korean BBQ wrapped in both shiso and lettuce.
  • Post #5 - May 8th, 2008, 8:13 pm
    Post #5 - May 8th, 2008, 8:13 pm Post #5 - May 8th, 2008, 8:13 pm
    Jefe wrote:What I stumbled across was heavenly marbleized kalbi, boneless, sliced thin, and rolled into neat little bundles.

Jefe,

Looks terrific, in particular the marbled beef and shiso leaves.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #6 - August 20th, 2008, 11:52 pm
    Post #6 - August 20th, 2008, 11:52 pm Post #6 - August 20th, 2008, 11:52 pm
    LTHForum,

As Steve Z mentions Short Rib and Scallion rice at UrbanBelly was so delectable we both picked up kalbi at Joong Boo (Chicago Food Corp) to make for dinner. In the past I have rolled my own, but Mike Sula highly recommended the premarinated kalbi from the butcher counter so I went Sandra Lee.

Seasoned Kalbi

Veg and panchan from Joong Boo, kimchee from New Chicago Kimchee.

Sliced scallions were dressed with sea salt and sesame oil.

Kalbi grilled on Weber kettle w/lump charcoal

Kalbi was served with panchan, sliced daikon radish, grilled red pepper drizzled with sesame oil, scallion w/sea salt and sesame oil, kimchee, leaf lettuce and short grain brown rice. Premarinaded kalbi hit the spot, just a nickle shy of my homemade version or current favorite Korean BBQ joint Hai Woon Dae.

Kalbi

Enjoy,
    Gary

Joong Boo / Chicago Food Corp
    3333 N Kimball Ave
    Chicago, IL
    773-478-5566

New Chicago Kimchee
    3648 W Lawrence Ave
    Chicago, IL 60625
    773-583-4442

Hai Woon Dae
    6240 N California Ave
    Chicago, IL 60659
    773-764-8018
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #7 - August 21st, 2008, 6:59 am
    Post #7 - August 21st, 2008, 6:59 am Post #7 - August 21st, 2008, 6:59 am
    I'd say Wow, but that will make the drool run out of my mouth...beautiful, G.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more