LTH Home

LTHforum Tailgate Picnic - September 6th - RAIN OR SHINE!

LTHforum Tailgate Picnic - September 6th - RAIN OR SHINE!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 8 of 9
  • Post #211 - September 7th, 2008, 8:46 am
    Post #211 - September 7th, 2008, 8:46 am Post #211 - September 7th, 2008, 8:46 am
    i want to add my thanks to the organizers of yesterday's picnic and to apologize for not staying through cleanup. i fled about 6pm due to an oncoming migraine, though i did 'help' reduce the level of garbage by taking a doggie bag home. the food was extraordinary, i ate way too much, yet not enough to try everything. the weather was perfect and the company terrific. i hope people will be posting more picnic recipes. (if i can get permission from my sister-in-law's mother, i'll share her portuguese great grandmother's orange squares recipe at some later date). justjoan
  • Post #212 - September 7th, 2008, 8:48 am
    Post #212 - September 7th, 2008, 8:48 am Post #212 - September 7th, 2008, 8:48 am
    I just love all you guys - I know, I'm such a dork, but it's true. What a great way to spend a beautiful afternoon. At any rate, I do have a bunch of pix but I probably won't get to them today - Gary, I thought about making a leftover plate for you, but amazingly, most of the food disappeared this year! Despite the (truly) groaning tables, we seemed to have very slightly more than enough of everything. I also wanted to comment on the general spirit of cooperation that really makes this event - specific to me, for instance, through PMming at fairly late notice, MikeG brought the excellent ice cream bases for the ice cream ball makers; Octarine stopped and got the appropriate Swedish-style rye crackers for my Leverpestj. I'm sure there are many, many other similar stories. Gotta give props to the 'spouse for getting out the Fire Dept. gear when the utility knife proved insufficient to crack open the Durian.

Standout food for me: BuddyRoadhouse's elotes casserole (recipe, Buddy? There's a thread waiting for you here), the fennel olives (recipe?), the Morel Mushroom spread (which latecomers probably missed, so sorry) SteveZ's burnt ends (which I hadn't missed after all,) Ronnie's hangar steak and the Laikom Group's bulgogi winey Polish Sausage and the tilefish skin, - nice to be able to get little bites of each. Kenny's garlicky roulade, the kefta, the Ostrich Egg (and I learned the hard way - you've gotta watch the yakking if you want to eat yak) the cheeses, the tomato cookies, the ice creams...too much food, so many really wonderful things that are too numerous to recount. Also fun to note how many of us brought stuff we found on or through LTH: mhl bringing Will Specials (thanks for the bite, BTW) Jyoti making Ramon's Goi Ga and GWiv's Dragon Turds, VI's Salam-esque sauce (thanks for the warning), Bridgestone's Leverpastej.

Sad I missed: Ramon's Thai Steak, which was an empty plate when I got there, of course the Yak, many, many of the desserts, including the cherry pie and the plum cake.

Photos coming soon...
  • Post #213 - September 7th, 2008, 9:14 am
    Post #213 - September 7th, 2008, 9:14 am Post #213 - September 7th, 2008, 9:14 am
    Thanks to LTHers for looking out for us. We actually had set up both our chairs by the keg; I guess somebody packed the green one back up for us? Don't know. Thanks again.

On a different note, here is a link to the online version of the NY Times article on Kool-Aid Dills that Rene G had set up by those that he brought.
    Ronnie said I should probably tell you guys about my website so

Hey I have a website.
    http://www.sandwichtribunal.com
  • Post #214 - September 7th, 2008, 9:33 am
    Post #214 - September 7th, 2008, 9:33 am Post #214 - September 7th, 2008, 9:33 am
    Hi,

While a lot of food was consumed. The take-out containers supplied by Ronnie Suburban did inspire people to take their favorites home for another round of deliciousness. The ziploc bags provided also were pressed into service by many as well. Between eating, taking food home and blue bag recycling organized by Ramon and aschie3, we left a relatively small garbage footprint for a crowd of 130 or more people. The container was half full, the garbage barrels did not come close to heaping, it really did work well to recyle. Plus the Forest Preserve manager was delighted with our plans, which seemed to ignite an extra level of cooperation.

A big round of thanks to Jimmie at the Forest Preserve, who not only delivered a few extra tables the day of the event. They used a leaf blower to tidy up the concrete platform before we set up. It truly was service with a smile.

Mhays did a fine job tracking everyone from guests to what they intended to serve. If there was a nametage or plate missing here and there, then it was probably my error. tarte tatin was delighted to do check-in and meet everyone she might not have otherwise met. Thrilled to have new participants and few unexpected guests who are always welcome. Ramon could write a paper on how to really entertain with pinatas. When he announced a five-minute break to repair the pinata, not one kid moved out of line.

D4V3 and his nephew came early and left late to help collect and return grills, smokers and tables, which included some of his own. At the close of the evening, there was a discussion as to which chimney coal starter belonged to whom. We decided the most beat up belonged to Gary, the nicest looking belonged to Dave because his smoker still looked pristine and the mid-level used one was mine.

Of course, if nobody attended, then there would be nothing to talk about this morning. So we have to thank ourselves for doing what we do best: share our knowledge, food and joy of life.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #215 - September 7th, 2008, 10:03 am
    Post #215 - September 7th, 2008, 10:03 am Post #215 - September 7th, 2008, 10:03 am
    What a great picnic! There was so much food and other things going on, that there are some things I am just finding via people's posts were at the picnic that I didn't even get a chance to see yesterday. I didn't get a chance to take that many pictures of the food because I was busy at the smoker for the early part of the day, but here are a few shots of people (and a little bit of food) that I managed to take. I hope others who have more food pictures will post.

Food Table(s) Early On

Cathy2 - Picnic Queen

Jyoti's Incendiary Dragon Turds

KC Style Burnt Ends

Happy Picnic Goers Giovanna, Hellodali, Mhays and Vital Information

Laikom, Maker of Multi Dishes

Sparky and Mr. Mhays Inspect Piñata Loot

Ramon Prepares Mojitos
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #216 - September 7th, 2008, 10:24 am
    Post #216 - September 7th, 2008, 10:24 am Post #216 - September 7th, 2008, 10:24 am
    Wow.

What a truly great time!

I couldn't be more delighted at the friendly atmosphere and welcoming feeling as a 3 day newbie to LTH.

One of the best picnics I've ever been to.

Thanks to all for the organization and food-prep. I had too much that was delicious to list. :-)

Look forward to the next event and pics from this one.
    "A fight is not won by 1 kick or 1 punch. Either learn to endure, or hire a bodyuard." -- Bruce Lee
  • Post #217 - September 7th, 2008, 12:18 pm
    Post #217 - September 7th, 2008, 12:18 pm Post #217 - September 7th, 2008, 12:18 pm
    As always, a truly wonderful time. We enjoyed our time and were sorry only that we could not stay longer. Thanks to Cathy2 and MHays--and everyone else--for their hard work, as well as to everyone for such inspired, inspirational, and exceptional dishes. I'm just sorry that there were so many things that necessarily went untasted.

We were grateful for the chance to see old friends and meet some new ones (...raccoon is just the teensiest bit gamy, don't you think?). And it always impresses me how much I learn just by going to events like this. Looking forward to seeing people more often between this picnic and the next.

Dave (Gypsy Boy) and Renee (The Lovely Dining Companion)
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #218 - September 7th, 2008, 1:09 pm
    Post #218 - September 7th, 2008, 1:09 pm Post #218 - September 7th, 2008, 1:09 pm
    Fabulous, Fabulous, Fabulous!

The food was extraordinary. This year I was determined to take a bite from each dish, but this was indeed wishful thinking as each table groaned with platters and platters of food. Each time I walked around the tables new dishes had appeared to tempt the eyes and the tastebuds. I just looked at the list a few minutes ago, and I seem to have missed many, many dishes :( Providing labels for each food item was a great addition and served as a wonderful way to meet and thank the provider, get recipes etc.

It is hard to pick a dish or two from this amazing feast, but a few that really resonated for me were:
    Germuska's Thai Melon Salad
    Ramon's Thai Grilled Steak
    villamickey's Stacked Tomato Salad

Other highlights:
    LTH athletes kicking around the icecream ball - this may well be our Olympic gold medal sport :D
    Laikom's enthusiasm for cooking
    Steve's gracious assistance with the smoker

Of course, no event like this comes together and runs smoothly with a great deal of behind-the-scenes planning. Thank you Cathy2 for spearheading this venture. MHays thanks for the spreadsheet and thank you D4V3 for hauling the tables, grills and smokers.

Above all, thank you to all the LTHers - you make each event fantastic!

Jyoti
    Jyoti
    A meal, with bread and wine, shared with friends and family is among the most essential and important of all human rituals.
    Ruhlman
  • Post #219 - September 7th, 2008, 1:13 pm
    Post #219 - September 7th, 2008, 1:13 pm Post #219 - September 7th, 2008, 1:13 pm
    Mike G wrote:Mangosteens-- they were all right, I was not as entranced as others.)

FYI, those were frozen mangosteens--on sale now at Hmart for $3.99 a bag. They just don't stack up against the fresh ones I had in Toronto last month.
  • Post #220 - September 7th, 2008, 2:40 pm
    Post #220 - September 7th, 2008, 2:40 pm Post #220 - September 7th, 2008, 2:40 pm
    Brian and I had a wonderful time at our first LTH event. What a way to jump into the deep end! It was lovely to meet many of you - we had more luck tasting each dish than meeting each person, I think :)

Our highlights included: the company (of course), the hot-off-the-grill kefta, the refreshing goi ga and cucumber salads, the orange bars, watching the pinata festivities, seeing my butter tart bars steadily disappear, and having our first tastes of 'ever-so-slightly-gamey' raccoon!

We echo all of the thanks due the organizers and everyone else, and are excited to attend another event soon.

Michelle
  • Post #221 - September 7th, 2008, 3:45 pm
    Post #221 - September 7th, 2008, 3:45 pm Post #221 - September 7th, 2008, 3:45 pm
    This was my first LTH event, and I'll definitely be coming back for more. The food was great, although I didn't try nearly as much of it as I wanted too...just too many things for one small stomach. But the people were even better. I came knowing only two people (thanks for inviting me germuska) and left with several new friends. You guys are a really great group, and I look forward to participating more.
  • Post #222 - September 7th, 2008, 4:22 pm
    Post #222 - September 7th, 2008, 4:22 pm Post #222 - September 7th, 2008, 4:22 pm
    As always, the picnic was a rousing success and, as they say on ESPN, an 'instant classic.' My family and I had a great time and yes, the food and beverage -- quality, variety and quantity -- was phenomenal. But, as usual, the food was easily trumped by the company, which was top-notch. It was great catching up with old friends and a genuine pleasure getting to know new ones, too.

I'd like to thank everyone who worked so hard to make this happen -- especially Cathy, who takes so much of the burden upon herself. That said, it was most definitely a communal effort and to see so many people come together in such admirable fashion is remarkably affirming. What can I say? I'm just feeling a tremendous sense of LTHForum pride today. There's a reason this place is so special and yesterday was a great chance to see it in action.

As Gary posted above . . . I can hardly wait for the holiday party! :)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #223 - September 7th, 2008, 4:50 pm
    Post #223 - September 7th, 2008, 4:50 pm Post #223 - September 7th, 2008, 4:50 pm
    I really enjoyed meeting all the new LTHers - great people and talented cooks, all of you! The picnic was a veritable orgy of deliciousness. Thanks to everyone, especially those who were able to stay late enough to help with the cleanup. Unfortunately, I had a pooch at home waiting anxiously to be taken outside.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #224 - September 7th, 2008, 5:27 pm
    Post #224 - September 7th, 2008, 5:27 pm Post #224 - September 7th, 2008, 5:27 pm
    I can't wait for pictures so I can live the picnic vicariously through all that attended. Unfortunately weekends are hard for us, but we always appreciate when people plan events on weeknights that we can go to.
  • Post #225 - September 7th, 2008, 7:38 pm
    Post #225 - September 7th, 2008, 7:38 pm Post #225 - September 7th, 2008, 7:38 pm
    Hi,

For those who compulsively plan their lives one year in advance. Mark your calendars for Saturday September 12th, which is the Saturday after Labor Day.

If you have suggestions on how to improve this event, then either send me a PM or post a comment on site chat here.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #226 - September 7th, 2008, 7:55 pm
    Post #226 - September 7th, 2008, 7:55 pm Post #226 - September 7th, 2008, 7:55 pm
    Well, who could refuse a request like that? (Oh, and Steve, you only took pictures of people - was that weird?) Here you go:

Jimwdavis's marinated olives (two out of the four) - all good, the fennel were truly excellent
    ImageImage

Deta's burek (right?) per NR706, an LTH Picnic staple

Irisarbor's Spicy Sausage Cheese Bites, yummy indeed

Jamaican beef patties - Caribbean American Baking Co (they aren't RAB & REB's)

Hellodali's Georgian Bakery Breads

Pull-Apart Bread (sorry, didn't get who brought it, was this another irisarbor thing, or maybe was it nancy?)

fifille's delectable Morel Spread and Morel cheese with accoutrements
    ImageImage

Kennyz's Brined Sage Garlic Pork Roulade on Brioche Toast (Sparky improvised, and spent the morning making Cheddar and Brioche sandwiches)
    Image Image

Pig Feet

Deviled Ostrich Egg with fifille's fingers for perspective (nice suggestion, BTW)

Blueberry Cake

Speaks for itself

Another Laikom Group offering, the zucchini cake

Eli's Thai Cole Slaw (and welcome, Eli! - and all the newcomers, you were all terrific!)

Hellodali's Fresh Fruit with Rosewater Syrup, even more lovely than it looks

RAB and REB's salata de vineta

And their Jamaican Spicy Meat Patties

Aaron Deacon's Fox & Obel Cider House Bread

EvA's chopped liver (gratifying to see the young EvA snarfing it down) Generally, a good day for liver!

Also, a good day for sandwiches!

EvA's Sacher Torte

Make-your-stomach-growl Tomato Jam

Stevez's Giardinera

Experimental prototype of the World's Greatest Cookie

MikeG's Saffron-Rosemary Tart

(edited to correct who brought what)
    Last edited by Mhays on September 8th, 2008, 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #227 - September 7th, 2008, 9:33 pm
    Post #227 - September 7th, 2008, 9:33 pm Post #227 - September 7th, 2008, 9:33 pm
    Beautiful pictures, Michelle. You were a trooper trying to get to all of the offerings.
  • Post #228 - September 7th, 2008, 10:43 pm
    Post #228 - September 7th, 2008, 10:43 pm Post #228 - September 7th, 2008, 10:43 pm
    Firstly, no the blueberry cake was not ours. Though it looks good, I missed it!

I do love cooking so it was great to be around a bunch of people that appreciate food so much! I can’t wait to get a chance to do this again. It was also amazing to be around so many great food items all at once, all in one place, it was very surreal, in a very good way!

The highlights for me were the hanger steak, by Ronnie_Suburban (I have to admit I was not familiar with the hanger steak until yesterday and now I love it), the deviled ostrich egg (it took 2 people to convince me it was really an ostrich egg, though I don’t know why I should have doubted anyone… Becides that it was actually just really good!), The Kenyan ice tea, the burnt ends, and and the marshmallows all also ranked very high on my yum meter.

The experience factor: The raccoon tasted neither strange nor gamey. I agree that it tasted like a pot roast and I liked it just fine, mostly I’m glad to be able to say I’ve eaten raccoon, of course who isn't? I also have to admit I’m both pleased that I liked the Durian fruit and disappointed that the experience wasn’t as dramatic as I’d expected it to be, from the stories I’ve heard. I imagined myself holding back my vomit. One time I had durian in a shake and thought they’d shorted me on the durian since I didn’t notice anything odd other than it tasted like someone accidentally dropped a green onion into my shake. The experience with the actual pure fruit wasn’t much different, other than the slight addition of the “gas leak” smell. To the people who I asked if it was wormwood that caused the bitter flavor, I checked and yes that bitter flavor in the Jeppson's Malört was indeed wormwood.

The most horrible part: As much as I did enjoy every bit of the process of cooking and hanging out, I didn’t get a chance to eat as much as I’d wanted to. There were so many things that I kept reminding myself to try but then forgot to. :(

Next time!
    Thanks everyone for a great time.
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #229 - September 7th, 2008, 11:21 pm
    Post #229 - September 7th, 2008, 11:21 pm Post #229 - September 7th, 2008, 11:21 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

For those who compulsively plan their lives one year in advance. Mark your calendars for Saturday September 12th, which is the Saturday after Labor Day.

Regards,

I don't know if I'm compulsive, but I do have it marked down.

Thanks, Cathy2, for all that went into this -- and Mhays -- and everyone else who contributed, on whatever level. Great event.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #230 - September 8th, 2008, 6:03 am
    Post #230 - September 8th, 2008, 6:03 am Post #230 - September 8th, 2008, 6:03 am
    The non-RAB&REB Jamaican meat patties were from the:

Caribbean American Baking Co.
    1539 W. Howard St.
    Chicago, IL 60626
    (773) 761-0700
    Mon-Sat 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
    Sunday 10:00 am - 5:00 pm

They offer four flavors in the size at the picnic: Beef -- Curry Chicken -- Jerk Chicken -- Vegetable

If you are looking for a particular flavor, a phone call ahead might be a good idea. They often are missing a flavor or two. We got lucky on Saturday morning at 9:00, because all four were available.

At one time, they made these on-site. I think they now import them from Brooklyn and heat them here. As a traditionalist, I deplore the change. As a fan, I still can't stop eating them.

They make a terrific wake-up-in-a-hurry breakfast. But then, I like jalapeno-cheese double-fish sandwiches at White Castle for that, too.

Thanx again to everyone for the wonderful day. See you next September.
  • Post #231 - September 8th, 2008, 6:21 am
    Post #231 - September 8th, 2008, 6:21 am Post #231 - September 8th, 2008, 6:21 am
    What a fantastic event! This was a picnic to end all picnics; I know I, personally, haven't been to a picnic with such a wide range and quantity of delicious food. Of course, it's also the people that really make it great. In typical LTH-event fashion, there always has to be a Fear Factor-type offering. This year, it was Malort and Durian, both offered off on a distant picnic table. Those were quite a hoot to try, with the Durian being not-as-bad if you get over the horrid smell, and the Malort being, well, pointless. [I think it was Kennyz who pointed out that we didn't see a fly or bee come near that table!]

I'm happy to report that I had a trunkful of blue bags to recycle. I didn't see if others grabbed any, if so, thanks! Thanks to everyone for their cooperation with that, as Cathy2 has reported, it cut down tremendously on the amount of garbage that the County had to collect. Whenever you're seeking a picnic permit for a picnic hosting 100+ people, you want to be as good of guests as possible, and LTH was stellar on Saturday!
  • Post #232 - September 8th, 2008, 6:31 am
    Post #232 - September 8th, 2008, 6:31 am Post #232 - September 8th, 2008, 6:31 am
    Wow, this year's picnic was really a smashing success. I was maxed out after a couple of hours but was happy to have so much good company to hang out with waiting for more room to graze.

I was very happy to have someone recommend the homemade marshmallows to me in time for me to get the last one. The grills were cooling off, but I managed to get it a little brown and it was really delicious.

I feel bad listing favorites because there were so many things I didn't even get to try, but I recall being particularly fond of the bulgogi, the doom bars, the orange squares, the goi ga, the world's greatest (tomato) cookie, the peach muscat mint sorbet, and the fried chili.

Thanks to Cathy2 for being our fearless leader and to MHays for coordinating the various tagging, but really, thanks to all LTHers for participating in a way that makes a 100+ person picnic go off without any hitches. Y'all are awesome.
    Joe G.

"Whatever may be wrong with the world, at least it has some good things to eat." -- Cowboy Jack Clement
  • Post #233 - September 8th, 2008, 6:52 am
    Post #233 - September 8th, 2008, 6:52 am Post #233 - September 8th, 2008, 6:52 am
    Thank you to everyone who worked on this year's picnic--easily one (if you could count it as one!) of the very best, best meals I've had in the last year in terms of food and company.
  • Post #234 - September 8th, 2008, 7:35 am
    Post #234 - September 8th, 2008, 7:35 am Post #234 - September 8th, 2008, 7:35 am
    A thousand thanks to everyone who participated in this year's picnic. Cookie and I were pleased that we were able to bring our boys to their first LTH event, even though they had no idea what was going on.

Even though we were there for a short time, we enjoyed getting out of the house and poaching a few tasty bites from the huge array of great stuff.

Thanks again and we're looking forward to next year where we'll have two significantly more mobile children.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #235 - September 8th, 2008, 7:37 am
    Post #235 - September 8th, 2008, 7:37 am Post #235 - September 8th, 2008, 7:37 am
    Yeah, it's more like a BLD place, with all three meals going on simultaneously and without interruption!

I just wanted to also mention: in the unlikely event that you are reading with concern that your offering isn't mentioned or photographed - there was only one dish that remained as a heaping bowlful at closing (delicate cough :wink: ) everything else disappeared entirely - people enjoyed your food right there, or took it home - and I ran out of camera batteries fairly early on.

(Ramon, please tell Mrs. Ramon's I enjoyed the chickpea crackers with the goat cheese, but was sticking to a strict two bites of everything so I could taste as much as possible, which could account for the lack of clean plate.)
  • Post #236 - September 8th, 2008, 9:47 am
    Post #236 - September 8th, 2008, 9:47 am Post #236 - September 8th, 2008, 9:47 am
    What a great event! We had so much fun, and had so many great tastes of so many wonderful dishes...
    This is the true Taste of Chicago!
    Here are some of my pictures!
    The delicious and beautiful Leverpastj

Also delicious and also beautiful the mushroom pate

SO wrong, but so right, deep fried bacon, and corndog-style chili-
    thank you Gus for two new favorite foods for my family!

one of my own contributions...

this one's a little blurry, but no else has posted the Patitas de cerdo al estilo de Abuelita Elena (pig trotters)...

Yak, a wonderful new taste sensation!

Buddyroadhouse's Elote's casserole, much easier to eat than on the cob!
    Bombay potatoes in the background... (I forget the name of the layered potato dish on the right...)

Yummy ribtips and smoked pork loin, thank you Woody's..

Some of those wonderful secret sausages coming off the grill

More LTH-ers in deep thought over a grill

mangosteens

In Brave Battle with the Durian....

The stunning saffron tart before the cut (CAN WE GET THIS RECIPE POSTED??)

An equally photogenic peach tart

a perky plum cake

OMG delicious doom bars (ANOTHER RECIPE THAT MUST BE POSTED!)

Pinata time! a very orderly line...

Some fun swinging...

and interesting candy from the dulceria for everyone!

What a great day! I'm sorry we couldn't stay later to help tidy up,
    but the boys had a party to get to and towards the end of the day started asking the time every 5 minutes....
    Thank you so much to all those who worked so hard to organize and help!
    I can't wait for the next event.
    Last edited by irisarbor on September 8th, 2008, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #237 - September 8th, 2008, 10:51 am
    Post #237 - September 8th, 2008, 10:51 am Post #237 - September 8th, 2008, 10:51 am
    I'll add my gratitude and appreciation for picnic planners and attendees. I'm incredibly lucky to have been able to attend to out of three years, despite my distant location.

Food and company were terrific as always. I'm surprised I'm already hungry again.
  • Post #238 - September 8th, 2008, 11:06 am
    Post #238 - September 8th, 2008, 11:06 am Post #238 - September 8th, 2008, 11:06 am
    Mr. X and I had a wonderful time at the picnic. It was great to see old and new LTHers. The food was amazing. There was nothing I ate that I didn't enjoy, and that includes the durian! We had to head out early to attend a volleyball picnic a bit up the road. I was unable to play because I was so stuffed. And I was completely content with just sitting there!

Much appreciation to Cathy2, Mhays, Ramon and all the others who were helped with the planning details. And thanks to everyone who contributed to the stunning spread!

-The GP (Mary) and Mr. X (Don)
    -Mary
  • Post #239 - September 8th, 2008, 3:35 pm
    Post #239 - September 8th, 2008, 3:35 pm Post #239 - September 8th, 2008, 3:35 pm
    Here are a few more pictures from the picnic...

Charcuterie from dansch

Deviled Eggs from Nr706

Rene G

Plum Tart from Giovanna

Pork Roulade from KennyZ

Sacher Torte from eVa

Tomato Mozzerella Stacks from Villamickey
  • Post #240 - September 8th, 2008, 3:59 pm
    Post #240 - September 8th, 2008, 3:59 pm Post #240 - September 8th, 2008, 3:59 pm
    Glad to see a photo of that amazing charcuterie. I was wondering how it had escaped being photographed. It was elegant and flavorful.

Among the myriad items I enjoyed immensely, one that I'm still enjoying was a corn and black bean salad. Not sure who made it, but I'm hoping the recipe gets posted.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more