LTH Home

Pita Town [Pics]

Pita Town [Pics]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Pita Town [Pics]

Post #1 - January 25th, 2005, 5:56 pm
    Post #1 - January 25th, 2005, 5:56 pm Post #1 - January 25th, 2005, 5:56 pm
    Last Thursday, C2 and I met for lunch at Pita Town, in Niles. Having recently spotted it while driving on Milwaukee, and having recently heard it mentioned, here, at LTH, I was interested in checking it out.

ful mdammas

"Jerusalem salad," pita, and baba ghanoush

"Spinach pie"

"Assyrian kabab" sandwich

I was most keen on the "spinach pie," and the "Assyrian kabab." The pie's shell was nicely crisp and the spinach carried good flavour. The kabab was similar to the kefta that I so enjoy at City Noor. As with Noor's kabab, the meat was nicely moist and loose in structure.

As for the baba ghaboush, well, what can I say? My heart lies elsewhere. I will say that it did have plenty of smoky flavour, and C2 was able to confirm that this was solely attributable to the grill and not to the addition of Liquid Smoke.

The ful was serviceable. I would have preferred a bit more texture and alot more salt and lime. C2 polished it off with a fair amount of relish, though, so you must take that into consideration.

The shop's proprietor is an Assyrian Christian woman. We found her to be quite warm. Interestingly, when I asked if they procured their samoon bread (shown as a sandwich, above) from Clark Bakery, in Andersonville, she said that they instead got their bread from Oakton Bakery, in Skokie. Additionally--and here is some news--she said that Clark Bakery would be relocating to Skokie, at some point in the near future.

I will certainly pay them another visit, soon. Spa_girl's favourable remarks about their shawerma certainly gives me incentive to return. At any rate, check it out for yourself if you are ever in the area. Sadly, the place does not seem to get a whole lot of traffic. My one visit to the Pita Inn just up the street would suggest that their competition is fierce.

Pita Town
    9001 N. Milwaukee Ave.
    Niles

Clark Bakery
    5140 N. Clark Street

Oakton Bakery
    4512 W. Oakton St.
    Skokie

Erik M.

*Edited to correct spelling.
    Last edited by Erik M. on January 25th, 2005, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #2 - January 25th, 2005, 6:48 pm
    Post #2 - January 25th, 2005, 6:48 pm Post #2 - January 25th, 2005, 6:48 pm
    Hi,

The spinach pie was the surprise hit mostly because of low expectations. Happily the spinach was flavorful due to thoughtful seasoning. Where we bought one as a taste, I think we'll need two next time.

My sandwich was a lamb kabob in pita bread. They cut the smallest hole possible and stuffed the meat, lettuce, onions and such inside. There is no picture because all you would have seen was a bloated pita bread. The lamb at Pita Town was a flat cut of lamb, rather than a cube. However, Pita Inn promotes a Lamb Kabob sandwich, which is really ground lamb similar to a kefta kabob. I'm not enthusiastic about either sandwich, though I will be happy to tackle an 'Assyrian Kabob,' which the owner advised is prepared just as she would at home.

As for the ful, half the quantity would have been more than enough. I belong to the clean plate club, so leaving food behind is something I have a hard time doing. I wasn't quite as enthusiastic as may have been assumed, more dutifully finishing the dish I suggested.

So if you are put off by long lunch lines at Pita Inn on Milwaukee Ave, then consider Pita Town because it is just north of Dempster and south of Golf Road on Milwaukee Avenue.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #3 - February 5th, 2005, 4:35 pm
    Post #3 - February 5th, 2005, 4:35 pm Post #3 - February 5th, 2005, 4:35 pm
    Just went today.My two dining companions preferred it to the Skokie Pita Inn.I had a mixed reaction.They both had a chicken shish kabob entree.I had the combination vegetarian plate-falafel,tabouleh,hummos and baba gannoug.I enjoyed the first two items but soso on the other two.Made a brief stop into Jaafer Sweets at the other end of the strip mall.Would like to go again and try the pistachio baklava.Did not buy anything but looked into Oak Mill Bakery.I did not notice any aroma from the items otherwise would have been tempted.
  • Post #4 - January 26th, 2006, 1:04 pm
    Post #4 - January 26th, 2006, 1:04 pm Post #4 - January 26th, 2006, 1:04 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,
    So if you are put off by long lunch lines at Pita Inn on Milwaukee Ave, then consider Pita Town because it is just north of Dempster and south of Golf Road on Milwaukee Avenue.
    Regards,

Was driving by Pita Town on Milwaukee last evening - and I think Pita
    Town may now be closed. Didnt notice until I was almost past it, and
    then tried to glance over (instead of keeping my eyes on the road :-) -
    I *think* I saw it closed, and even a sign which said so, and claimed
    something else was coming soon. (I wouldnt swear to it because I
    was driving past, and there could be a small chance it was just
    whatever business that was next to Pita Town that was closing -
    however Jaafer Sweets was open, and I dont really recall what
    if anything was next to Pita Town... and I really do think it was Pita
    Town's door I saw the long-distance sign on).

If so.. I wouldnt be particularly surprised, either. Pita Inn is only a little
    way up the street, and it does roaring business, making it very hard
    for any competition (on passing Pita Inn I looked over and the
    parking lot was full almost to overflowing).

c8w
  • Post #5 - January 28th, 2006, 8:39 pm
    Post #5 - January 28th, 2006, 8:39 pm Post #5 - January 28th, 2006, 8:39 pm
    I drove by Pita Town this evening. I'm sorry to report that there's a large, handwritten sign in the window saying "Coming Soon Burrito House". Maybe Burrito House will be good (?)..

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more