LTH Home

If you had 10 bucks.....

If you had 10 bucks.....
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - January 27th, 2005, 10:33 am
    Post #31 - January 27th, 2005, 10:33 am Post #31 - January 27th, 2005, 10:33 am
    Well, you know, "fresh" from the bayou or Gulf shrimp is a little more rare than folks know. In my formative years, I used to speak quite a lot with shrimp boat captains at a Tampa bar called the Hub (used to be right by the Greyhound station on Zack, but has since been moved and ruined). Seems that most shrimp is processed and frozen right there on the boat, which stays out for several days at a time. Most everywhere, "fresh" shrimp is "defrosted" shrimp. This is especially problematic in ceratin Asian groceries, where the critters are head-on, which I like but it leads to rapid rot.

As with lots of seafood -- especially sashimi grade fish and excluding, of course, stuff that ships live like bivalves and lobster -- I'm more interested in what it is and where it came from than whther it's been frozen. Sure, if you can be reasonably certain that the grouper or the shrimp was hauled in that morning from a true "day boat," then you are in for a real treat. But this is becoming ever more rare, even along the Gulf. And frankly, people lie about whether stuff has been frozen and how long it's been out of the water.

Anyway, this is a long way of getting around to the point that I'd take the fried jumbo wild Gulfs at Snappy's shrimp house (or the raw or boiled ones at Dirk's) even though they were no doubt frozen over even "fresh" farm-raised bugs from brackish water. But that's just me.

Now, I much prefer cheap oysters from such water, and they are impossible to find here given the health risk.
  • Post #32 - January 27th, 2005, 12:14 pm
    Post #32 - January 27th, 2005, 12:14 pm Post #32 - January 27th, 2005, 12:14 pm
    I would select dessert at Charlie Trotter's. Who needs protein, when you can get by on sugar, fantasy, and miracles. I had a fantastic series of Asian-influenced "petit fours" there a few years back - one of the most memorable desserts of my life.

(The menu was not on the webpage - I am assuming that there is a dessert under $10).
  • Post #33 - January 27th, 2005, 12:24 pm
    Post #33 - January 27th, 2005, 12:24 pm Post #33 - January 27th, 2005, 12:24 pm
    JeffB wrote:Well, you know, "fresh" from the bayou or Gulf shrimp is a little more rare than folks know. In my formative years, I used to speak quite a lot with shrimp boat captains at a Tampa bar called the Hub (used to be right by the Greyhound station on Zack, but has since been moved and ruined). Seems that most shrimp is processed and frozen right there on the boat, which stays out for several days at a time. Most everywhere, "fresh" shrimp is "defrosted" shrimp. This is especially problematic in ceratin Asian groceries, where the critters are head-on, which I like but it leads to rapid rot.

As with lots of seafood -- especially sashimi grade fish and excluding, of course, stuff that ships live like bivalves and lobster -- I'm more interested in what it is and where it came from than whther it's been frozen. Sure, if you can be reasonably certain that the grouper or the shrimp was hauled in that morning from a true "day boat," then you are in for a real treat. But this is becoming ever more rare, even along the Gulf. And frankly, people lie about whether stuff has been frozen and how long it's been out of the water.

Anyway, this is a long way of getting around to the point that I'd take the fried jumbo wild Gulfs at Snappy's shrimp house (or the raw or boiled ones at Dirk's) even though they were no doubt frozen over even "fresh" farm-raised bugs from brackish water. But that's just me.

Now, I much prefer cheap oysters from such water, and they are impossible to find here given the health risk.

I'm not 100% on this, but I think that the stuff that is sold in NOLA and S. Louisana is not necessarily the same stuff that is sold elsewhere as Gulf shrimps. After all, in New Orleans, shrimps are very much as seasonal product, with different variatals at different times of year. Yes, one can get shrimp by the pound there, at times, for prices MUCH cheaper than, say in Chicago. And YES (IMO) these shrimps are worlds away better than what one gets in Chicago.

I do think that a lot, if not all of the restaurants use "standard" shrimps (i.e., frozen/frozen at sea) to ensure a consistient supply.
  • Post #34 - January 27th, 2005, 1:55 pm
    Post #34 - January 27th, 2005, 1:55 pm Post #34 - January 27th, 2005, 1:55 pm
    Rob, I'm sure that's right. Hidden in my message was my own personal preference for the wild deep water shrimp like the reds you hear about but rarely see from NO to Tampa to Key West.

I read that there are a couple of "small boat" seasons in So LA when the little guys stay close to shore and catch younger, smaller shrimp. I assume that this catch gets bought locally.

There surely is such a thing as truly local seafood, I agree. When I was a kid, I was amazed at how good stuff like mullet, sheepshead and rock shrimp were considered trash food that you might get at a church picnic or a shacky place but couldn't buy at Publix. This is still mostly true, and because there is not much of a market for these fish (rock shrimp seem to be gaining in popularity) they can be hard to find away from the source. And thenn there are the Gulf places with their own day boats (grouper, mostly).

The ugly little critters of all sorts that go into the dishes of the Riviera and Liguria are similar examples.
  • Post #35 - January 28th, 2005, 1:03 pm
    Post #35 - January 28th, 2005, 1:03 pm Post #35 - January 28th, 2005, 1:03 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    pho 777

This is no longer a place for reliable Pho. They changed ownership a year ago and its been downhill ever since.

Tank at Argyle and Broadway is great ... no reservations there.

I would normally agree with you on Tank, but last night I was horribly disappointed with their pho. My bowl was served to me and the noodles were all stuck together on the bottom and did not come apart upon agitating the broth. They were stuck fast together so when I finally started trying to tease them apart with the chopsticks, they were just being cut and smashed apart... yuck. There was also a large glob of GROUND beef in the broth. I have never seen ground beef in pho, so I'm not sure how that happened.

The broth was fine but the preparation was.. well.. it was disgusting.

In addition to the lousy pho, we had also ordered some sliced beef served on rice. The beef tasted as though it had been prepared several hours prior to our arrival. It was tooth-shatteringly tough and the flavor was bland.

I have been eating at Tank for a year now... I first started eating there when they were closer to Sheridan. Last night was the first time I was thoroughly disappointed with their food and service. I hope this isn't the beginning of the end for pho xe tang.

On a different subject... has anybody tried out Cafe Lao? It is the new restaurant that occupies the old Pho xe Tang location.

- Andy
  • Post #36 - January 28th, 2005, 1:20 pm
    Post #36 - January 28th, 2005, 1:20 pm Post #36 - January 28th, 2005, 1:20 pm
    another idea for < $10...

$.10 wing nites @ John Barleycorn/Gamekeepers, etc. Thursday/Mondays. 2 pints of cheap domestic beer + 20 beyond spicy wings + tip for 2 for just about $10...
  • Post #37 - January 28th, 2005, 1:22 pm
    Post #37 - January 28th, 2005, 1:22 pm Post #37 - January 28th, 2005, 1:22 pm
    TonyC wrote:another idea for < $10...

$.10 wing nites @ John Barleycorn/Gamekeepers, etc. Thursday/Mondays. 2 pints of cheap domestic beer + 20 beyond spicy wings + tip for 2 for just about $10...

Heh. I do that all the time but wouldn't mention it in this company! I like Gamekeepers wings--i think after they fry them they throw em on the grill--a little different.
    Aaron
  • Post #38 - January 28th, 2005, 3:06 pm
    Post #38 - January 28th, 2005, 3:06 pm Post #38 - January 28th, 2005, 3:06 pm
    Hi,

I hesitate to recommend this only because I would sound like a broken record ...

I've been known to drop family off at Midway Airport very early in the morning. Give them the wave and shoot out of the airport. I begin to realize I'm hungry and a quick inventory of cash has me at the $4 level and easily I could have grabbed a $20 from my departing family member two minutes before.

On more than one occasion, I have found myself at Jim's Original (Roosevelt Road at the Dan Ryan Expressway frontage road heading south). I'll get a Polish sausage with mustard, grilled onions and sport peppers on the side, not-so-great fries and a pop. Total cost: not sure though I get change for my $3. submitted.

If you want a visual of which place to visit then look no further. Just don't go to the Maxwell Street Express immediately north of Jim's, it is not the same experience. Even if there are long lines at Express, don't do it because they are mistaken. I can't explain it, but they really are mistaken.
    Last edited by Cathy2 on January 28th, 2005, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #39 - January 28th, 2005, 4:20 pm
    Post #39 - January 28th, 2005, 4:20 pm Post #39 - January 28th, 2005, 4:20 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:On more than one occasion, I have found myself at Jim's Original (Roosevelt Road at the Dan Ryan Expressway frontage road heading south). I'll get a Polish sausage with mustard, grilled onions and sport peppers on the side, rree not-so-great fries and a pop. Total cost: not sure though I get change for my $3. submitted.

You get $0.80 back on your $3. The fries are much improved if you ask for extra salt on them, since they come nearly completely unsalted by default..

Jim's polish is actually one of the few things I'll eat while driving. But, then again, I normally order it without onions, so it's not particularly messy.

-ed
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #40 - February 3rd, 2005, 6:27 pm
    Post #40 - February 3rd, 2005, 6:27 pm Post #40 - February 3rd, 2005, 6:27 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

I hesitate to recommend this only because I would sound like a broken record ...

On more than one occasion, I have found myself at Jim's Original (Roosevelt Road at the Dan Ryan Expressway frontage road heading south). I'll get a Polish sausage with mustard, grilled onions and sport peppers on the side, not-so-great fries and a pop. Total cost: not sure though I get change for my $3. submitted.

At certain moments, BTW, it turns out that youre grossly exaggerating ;-)

Was in the area yesterday afte4rnoon, so stopped by - it was about 3:30 I
    think. Asked for a couple of sandwiches (fries come with). In a minute
    they were ready and being handed to me. Pulling out my wallet I asked
    how much it was, guy said "2 dollars". I said no, and repeated my
    order - *two* sandwiches. He responded "yes, 2 dollars", and pointed
    sideways. So I paid 2 bucks and took my packet - and moved sideways
    and read the sign. Which said "Celebrating Black History Month", between
    3pm and 5 pm Monday-Thursday, all sandwiches are 1 dollar. And they
    still apparently come with fries - for there were two orders of fries
    in my packet.(Presumably this will continue thru the month).

So, C2, you exaggerate - if you hand them 3 bucks now, they'll hand
    you *two bucks* back, not just change.Clearly they felt their prices
    were too high and they had to do something about it :-)

As for this thread (and a fine one it was, too)... I dunno. I think I'd get
    in my car and drive a fair bit.Go do Devon, get a couple samosas, then
    a quarter-pound of Kaju Katri from Ambala (under 4 bucks total) - eating
    only the samosas.Then drive to Johnnie's and get their "combo
    juicy hot" - 4 bucks I think. Then to Jim's Original, arriving just after
    3pm (ok, so Iam cheating) - get a polish and a beef-polish (both with fries).
    Then, after consuming the samosas, the combo and the sossidge, I'd finish
    up with the quarter-pound of Kaju Katri for dessert. Would come in just
    under 10 bucks for the whole thing, I think (samosas are probably
    50-55 cents apieces, Kaju Katri at Ambala is 7 dollars a pound I think,
    so a 1/4 lb would be less than 3 bucks - the entire Devon trip in under
    4; tack on 4 for the combo, and 2 for Jim's, total a few cents under
    the limit in all likelihood :-)

c8w
  • Post #41 - February 3rd, 2005, 8:07 pm
    Post #41 - February 3rd, 2005, 8:07 pm Post #41 - February 3rd, 2005, 8:07 pm
    This is a great thread. There are some places that are on my under 10 list already and a whole lot of places new to me that I will be trying. Like so many others I would have a hard time naming 1 place, we are fortunate to live on a planet with so many choices.

I guess if the question was "If you where on death row having your last meal (limit 10.00) , where would you go?" (Yes, I realize they will not let me leave death row, please indulge me I am on a roll)

My answer would be
    Johnnies Beef
    1- Beef ,dipped (juicy in true johnniespeak)
    1- Sausage, dipped
    Lg Iti Ice, extra rind
    1- Fries
    around 9 bucks.

Of course with my luck Johnnies would be on it annual hiatus in my time of need. (PS to Anyone- Is the sign up yet? What dates will they be closed?) So I would go to my plan B

Genes / Judes (the atmosphere is very institutional and comforting to a shut in)
    2 wit everything, yes hot peppers, extra onion
    1 tamale
    lg peps
    under 6 bucks

Now every 6 or 7 years a rare phenomonon occurs where the Johnnies hiatus overlaps the Genes/ Judes hiatus. ( How the heck can it take a month to paint everything white?) So further contingency has been planned. I would head over to

Al & Joes Deli
    1 lg italian sub , no tomatoes, drenched
    1 12 oz pepsi
    around 7 bucks

Assuming I had change left my last stop on earth to spend whats left would undoubtedly, unrevokeably and literally be

Jim's Original Maxwell St
    1 Polish extra onions
    1 coke
    Under 3 bucks or under 2 bucks depending on when you go.
    I had a 6AM meeting downtown last week that ended at 8. On my way back home I stopped at Jims for a polish. I could not beleive how tasty and satisfying it was for breakfast. I have tried them at all hours, during the after bar rush at 4AM and the evening and lunch hours, but never for breakfast. The fact that I now find them viable for any meal of the day is very exciting. There is no bad time for a Jim's Original.

There are of course tons more of great under 10 places. Maybe some new folks will jump in with some discoveries.
    Sorry for the mini hijack, we now return you to our thread in progress

bob

Johnnie's Beef
    7500 W. North Ave., Elmwood Park
    Tel: (708) 452-6000

Gene & Jude Red Hot Stand
    Address: 2720 River Rd, River Grove, IL 60171
    Phone: (708) 452-7634

Al & Joe's Delicatessen
    Address: 10348 Addison Ave, Franklin Park, IL 60131
    Phone: (847) 678-6788

Jim's Original Hot Dog
    Address: 700 W O Brien St, Chicago, IL 60607
    Phone: (312) 733-7820
    Bob Kopczynski
    http://www.maxwellstreetmarket.com
    "Best Deals in Town"
  • Post #42 - February 4th, 2005, 3:04 pm
    Post #42 - February 4th, 2005, 3:04 pm Post #42 - February 4th, 2005, 3:04 pm
    This is a great thread. There are some places that are on my under 10 list already and a whole lot of places new to me that I will be trying. Like so many others I would have a hard time naming 1 place, we are fortunate to live on a planet with so many choices.

Indeed it is - one of the best and most useful in recent months IMHO. Have heard
    of a whole bunch of places taht are now on the must-try list (as an example,
    Ive driven past "Boobie's" before, on occasion, but never stopped and never
    realized it was any good - leave alone supposedly one of the best around
    for steak-sans. Will definitely stop there fairly soon).

If I can add a couple more, myself...

Barbara-Ann's, obviously. The Tip-Link combo - very good rib-tips, the best
    hot-links in the city, ordinary fries, slaw-for-show. 9.52 for the whole
    thing, and very very hard to finish in one sitting - there isnt much room
    left if you do (and, with only 48 cents to spare, no money for dessert
    either I suppose).

MacArthru's (or H&A's f youre SouthSide, as good or better, prices
    about the same): Meat-and-two, 6.99 for the special. Smothered
    chops works just fine (H&A's rolls, recommended on here, were
    excellent). And, with 3 bucks left to make the limit, a small
    banana pudding would fit perfectly (or else a peach cobbler).

(Yes, I realize they will not let me leave death row, please indulge me I am on a roll)

Well, as long as youre dipped (with hot :-)

Of course with my luck Johnnies would be on it annual hiatus in my time of need. (PS to Anyone- Is the sign up yet? What dates will they be closed?) So I would go to my plan B

Huh. At least at the AH location, I havent noticed this hiatus thing. Maybe its
    still upcoming - I ought to call before going by the next time.

c8w[/quote]
  • Post #43 - February 4th, 2005, 3:33 pm
    Post #43 - February 4th, 2005, 3:33 pm Post #43 - February 4th, 2005, 3:33 pm

Huh. At least at the AH location, I havent noticed this hiatus thing. Maybe its
    still upcoming - I ought to call before going by the next time.

c8w

The North Ave Johnnies closed last monday :cry: and will re open on the 14th. normally they close after the super bowl. The other location(s) are open and they will have beef orders for sunday for pickup in arlington heights. I had to divert my landing to Jay's Beef on Irving Park in Schiller Park. A decent substitute, but only a subsitute, and a lesser value than Johnnies in my opinion.

Bob
    Bob Kopczynski
    http://www.maxwellstreetmarket.com
    "Best Deals in Town"
  • Post #44 - February 4th, 2005, 7:08 pm
    Post #44 - February 4th, 2005, 7:08 pm Post #44 - February 4th, 2005, 7:08 pm
    It's 16 miles from Johnnie's in Elmwood Park to there Arlington Heights location, 20 to 30 min. It's worth the trip and you can reward yourself with a big lemon ice with a splash of vodka for the game.
  • Post #45 - February 4th, 2005, 10:14 pm
    Post #45 - February 4th, 2005, 10:14 pm Post #45 - February 4th, 2005, 10:14 pm
    c8w wrote:(Jim's Original Polish) "Celebrating Black History Month", between 3pm and 5 pm Monday-Thursday, all sandwiches are 1 dollar.

So, C2, you exaggerate - if you hand them 3 bucks now, they'll hand you *two bucks* back, not just change.Clearly they felt their prices were too high and they had to do something about it

So I am spending way too much money? I guess I should slow my pace returning home from the airport. Perhaps pull over to the curb and take a nap until it is ... ding, ding, ding ... 3 PM!

That's great information, gosh I don't know if I can use it, but good information to know in any case.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #46 - February 5th, 2005, 1:08 am
    Post #46 - February 5th, 2005, 1:08 am Post #46 - February 5th, 2005, 1:08 am
    Inspired by reading this thread last night at about 2 am, I headed over to Hot Doug's today only to be greeted by a line out the door.

But, I stood my ground and was rewarded with a Thuringer, a hot dog, an order of duck fat fries, and a small pop.

Total? Nine bucks.

Pretty good, and a dollar tip rounded out my ten spot!

Thuringer was great, dog was good, and fries were...well good fries. I don't know what I expected, but they weren't very ducky.

Next time, I'll get the regular fries and use the leftover buck fifty on another hot dog!
  • Post #47 - February 5th, 2005, 4:38 pm
    Post #47 - February 5th, 2005, 4:38 pm Post #47 - February 5th, 2005, 4:38 pm
    I tried the char salami today at Poochies in Skokie (grilled onions and mustard, thank you), with the fries. This combo would most certainly be near the top of my under $10 list. I would have ordered another char salami if I could be able to order another heart and assorted arteries. But, alas, I'll try it again in a few months.

Now where did I put my tub-o-lipitor?
    Did you know there is an LTHforum Flickr group? I just found it...
  • Post #48 - February 7th, 2005, 1:57 pm
    Post #48 - February 7th, 2005, 1:57 pm Post #48 - February 7th, 2005, 1:57 pm
    Hi,

Sunday's breakfast was Jim's Original for a Polish Sausage and a Pepsi, for my $3. submitted I received a dime back.

Not as good a deal as the 3-5 PM "All Sandwiches a $1" for Black History Month, though a very good deal in any case.
    Cathy2

• Post #49 - April 6th, 2005, 11:37 am
    Post #49 - April 6th, 2005, 11:37 am Post #49 - April 6th, 2005, 11:37 am
    Since (perhaps) this thread may get a peek or two today 8)

Here's one for the books:

Contractor Special and a bowl of soup - Zascianek Restaurant
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #50 - May 4th, 2005, 12:24 pm
    Post #50 - May 4th, 2005, 12:24 pm Post #50 - May 4th, 2005, 12:24 pm
    bring this back to the top.

best bang for the buck, in terms of flavor/volume:$ ratio:

$4.75 "3 treasures" bbq combo @ Great Wall in Chinatown. Includes tea and a very hearty pork/veggie soup.

yesterday, the bbq duck was DEAD on. and even the gf, who normally doesn't enjoy fattypork, enjoyed the char siu pork. i seriously doubt you can get a complete 'meal' for $4.75 + tax anywhere else in the city, sandwiches excluded. alas, how can you compare any sandwich to almost a lb of Chinese BBQ?
  • Post #51 - June 10th, 2007, 9:27 pm
    Post #51 - June 10th, 2007, 9:27 pm Post #51 - June 10th, 2007, 9:27 pm
    TonyC wrote:bring this back to the top.

best bang for the buck, in terms of flavor/volume:$ ratio:

$4.75 "3 treasures" bbq combo @ Great Wall in Chinatown. Includes tea and a very hearty pork/veggie soup.

yesterday, the bbq duck was DEAD on. and even the gf, who normally doesn't enjoy fattypork, enjoyed the char siu pork. i seriously doubt you can get a complete 'meal' for $4.75 + tax anywhere else in the city, sandwiches excluded. alas, how can you compare any sandwich to almost a lb of Chinese BBQ?

http://cbs2chicago.com/eatrisk/local_st ... 13736.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more