LTH Home

columbus, ohio

columbus, ohio
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - August 29th, 2007, 8:13 pm
    Post #31 - August 29th, 2007, 8:13 pm Post #31 - August 29th, 2007, 8:13 pm
    Update- The owner of Talita's, "Columbus' longest running family Mexican restaurant," just announced that they are closing on September 15th.
  • Post #32 - May 27th, 2008, 8:58 am
    Post #32 - May 27th, 2008, 8:58 am Post #32 - May 27th, 2008, 8:58 am
    A few more notes on Columbus, from my most recent film festival experience there, when I could escape the chain dining in the immediate vicinity of the hotel:

Dragged some doubting New Yorkers to Katzinger's. They took takeout menus with them afterwards. Definitely impressed.

Went to Skyline Chili, finally, for some coneys. The skinless hot dog is pretty lame and I had to knock off half the cheese. The chili, though, is quite good, more multidimensional than the cinnamon-dominated versions of Cincinatti chili we get here.

Somebody's spicy beef dish at Hunan House was a dish I would be pleased to find at LSC. This is, at least, first-class Schaumburg Chinese, with a hint of authentic funk.

Ate at Nancy's, like a lot of Sterns-recommended places it's great for packed-in-tight, everybody-knows-everybody atmosphere, food was just on the better side of average, though the sausage-gravy-covered home fries could be a guilty pleasure. In some ways I liked a bigger place called Jack and Benny's better, though the slice of grocery store lunchmeat ham that passed for a side of ham was kinda sad. Still, good pancakes with a choice of flavors (I had apple cinnamon).

On the way back, I stopped at Mug'n Bun in Indianapolis. Good root beer, certainly lots of oldtimey atmosphere, but I can't say I'll need to have the deep-fried porkette™ tenderloin again.

Skyline Chili (many locations)
    6111 Busch Boulevard
    Columbus OH
    (614) 848-3855

Hunan House
    2350 E Dublin Granville Rd
    Columbus, OH 43229
    (614) 895-3330

Nancy's Home Cooking
    3133 N High St
    Columbus, OH 43202
    (614) 265-9012

Jack & Benny's
    2563 N High St
    Columbus, OH 43202
    (614) 263-0242

Mug'n Bun Drive In
    5211 W 10th St
    Speedway, IN 46224
    (317) 244-5669‎
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #33 - May 27th, 2008, 10:32 am
    Post #33 - May 27th, 2008, 10:32 am Post #33 - May 27th, 2008, 10:32 am
    Various forces have converged and I suddenly find myself moving back to Columbus, Ohio after 10 years in Chicago. Although some people in my situation would be concerned with, say, getting a license to practice law in Ohio, my most immediate concern is where in the hell am I going to get fresh tortillas in Columbus? And where can I get homemade kimchi? Fresh pita bread? Where am I going to find a butcher who sells lamb at reasonable prices? Panic! Panic!

Luckily, it seems that the great wave of demographic change has driven talk radio crazy, has also caused the ethnic food offerings in Columbus to expand in the past ten years. Columbus has always been a good source for Japanese food (Honda's US operations are in the vicinity) and Ethiopian restaurants. Unfortunately, the Mexican food there while I was growing up was always terrible -- for the most part we were limited to Don Pablo's and other chain restaurants. Recently, though, the Mexican population has exploded and with it, the number of Mexican grocery stores. A few of them have taquerias in the back & I even see via google that there is a tortilleria doing business in town! Please God! I can't see myself making my own tortillas on a regular basis.

In any case, I hope to continue the tradition of LTH "foreign" correspondents and report back on Columbus offerings this summer. What the hell? I'm going to be unemployed, anyway.

As a bit of preliminary research, I found the following useful blog:

http://www.restaurantwidow.com/

The author talks a lot about Columbus restaurants, but also has a good section on Asian markets.
  • Post #34 - May 27th, 2008, 10:39 am
    Post #34 - May 27th, 2008, 10:39 am Post #34 - May 27th, 2008, 10:39 am
    I just whizzed by it all, but if you look past the obvious chain restaurants on Dublin-Granville, there sure seems to be a lot of little Chinese, Indian, even African tucked back in those strip malls. Good luck.
  • Post #35 - May 27th, 2008, 7:43 pm
    Post #35 - May 27th, 2008, 7:43 pm Post #35 - May 27th, 2008, 7:43 pm
    maureencd wrote: my most immediate concern is where in the hell am I going to get fresh tortillas in Columbus? And where can I get homemade kimchi? Fresh pita bread? Where am I going to find a butcher who sells lamb at reasonable prices? Panic! Panic!

Luckily, it seems that the great wave of demographic change has driven talk radio crazy, has also caused the ethnic food offerings in Columbus to expand in the past ten years. Columbus has always been a good source for Japanese food (Honda's US operations are in the vicinity) and Ethiopian restaurants. Unfortunately, the Mexican food there while I was growing up was always terrible -- for the most part we were limited to Don Pablo's and other chain restaurants. Recently, though, the Mexican population has exploded and with it, the number of Mexican grocery stores. A few of them have taquerias in the back & I even see via google that there is a tortilleria doing business in town! Please God! I can't see myself making my own tortillas on a regular basis.

Well, I can verify your tortilleria. I visited Koki's Tortilleria (I'm pretty sure there is at least another one in town, either on Sullivant or W. Broad) last summer. I think they said the tortillas come off the press really early. On a somewhat related note, I asked them for a recommendation for a Mexican restaurant to watch the World Cup Mexico v. Argentina match, and they recommended La Plaza Tapatia, which was tucked back behind Westland Mall next to a Sears. It is 2/3 grocery, 1/3 restaurant, and by far the best deal for limes in the city (10 for a $1, which still doesn't hold a candle to prices in Chicago, but its better than the one for 79 cents offered at the local Kroger). The restaurant was standing room only by the time the match started, but the waitstaff still managed to find a table for the only gringos there. The food was pretty good- nothing spectacular, but certainly authentic. Any place on Sullivant or W. Broad is a good bet for Mexican- see http://people.cohums.ohio-state.edu/mor ... ocery.html for a comprehensive list for Mexican grocery stores, and the corresponding link on the side for restaurants as well. I also know that there are quite a few taco trucks in the area as well, so I should be checking those out in the summer.

As far as your other concerns, you might be in for a little exploring. I don't know anything about lamb particularly, and considering the Somali population in Columbus, I'm sure there is a butcher shop that does a lot of lamb. The big meat places I'm aware of are Carfagna's on the fruitful 161/Dublin Granville Rd strip, Weiland's on Indianola, and the North Market. The only Korean groceries that I know of in Columbus are on Bethel Rd at Arirang market and Toul Bo, and one at Morse and High but I can't verify the kimchi at any of them. Fresh pitas are terrae incognitae as well, although there are one or two more Middle Eastern groceries on Bethel, as well as one near High and Dodridge.

I don't know if I agree with your assessments of Japanese and Ethiopian food. The Japanese food seems actually a little unimpressive, besides the outstanding but expensive Kihachi. This shouldn't be too unexpected, considering Columbus' distance from quality seafood. I am also unaware of any Ethiopian restaurants other than the North Campus Blue Nile, and Olympic on S. Hamilton Rd. Are there any others?

Mike G- Dublin Granville Rd is filled with little gems. If you get a chance to stop, Columbus Square is a veritable treasure trove of restaurants, with the superb Nazareth Deli (Middle Eastern), the trusty four item menu of Mimi's Cafe (Vietnamese), Yuen's (Chinese/Vietnamese), and Smackie's (BBQ)
  • Post #36 - May 28th, 2008, 9:58 am
    Post #36 - May 28th, 2008, 9:58 am Post #36 - May 28th, 2008, 9:58 am
    Thanks, T Kent! You found me my tortilleria & I will be making a trip over there post-haste. Great recommendations on the lamb and kimchi as well.

You are probably right about the Japanese & Ethiopian. My memories of Columbus food are from 10+ years ago, so they're pretty foggy. At that time, there were at least 3 Ethiopian restaurants that I visited. One of them was on campus and another on Livingston Ave I think? Also, at that time, I used to make a little extra money tutoring Japanese transplants in conversational English. They took me out to Kihachi and Kyoto (? It's next to Figlio in that shopping center on Riverside Drive). They did the ordering and I remember thinking that everything "seemed" authentic, in my limited knowledge of Japanese food. I don't remember eating sushi, but they introduced me to katsu.

It will be fun to start exploring.
  • Post #37 - June 19th, 2008, 5:57 pm
    Post #37 - June 19th, 2008, 5:57 pm Post #37 - June 19th, 2008, 5:57 pm
    I grew up in Ohio - we used to travel 120 miles to go shopping in the big city. Even on two lane roads, it was all worth while for the Lazarus toy dept., and the German chocolate cake we always took home.

And the restaurants - those visits shaped my dining pleasures for life. If memory serves, Kuennings was a white tablecloth, German restaurant somewhere on the east side. Long before I moved to Boston, I was introduced to lobster at Seafood Bay, on N. High, complete with fishnets hanging from the ceiling. And best of all, the cafeteria at the sign of the windmill, near Broad & High. The Clermont was highly regarded back in the 50s, but it was too expensive for family dining.

(At the moment, there is a 1961 postcard from Seafood Bay for sale on eBay, if anyone else remembers the place.)

More recently, I stayed along Dublin-Granville often, but never found anyplace memorable. I must have tried a least a half-dozen Chinese restaurants with no luck, though Fiesta Jalisco was OK.

I never had a meal in a Cameron Mitchell restaurant that to me justified its price, except that I did develop a love of the grouper sandwich at Cap City. In pursuit of the grouper, I once arrived at the Cap City in Gahanna, only to find it closed for renovation. I don't know the Spanish equivalent of serendipitous, but across the parking lot was Mi Mexico. While it's no XniPec or Amanecer Tapatio, the food was tasty, the service was good, the chips were hot, and the Negra Modelo was cold. A second visit confirmed its quality.

Several years ago we discovered Salvi's Italian restaurant, which was then located in the French Marketplace. Ms. Corn, little Tomato, and I fell in love with the baked spaghetti dish, but alas, the restaurant vanished. Several years later, I was staying in a Fairfield Inn (startups w/o venture funding are quite parsimonious) on the west side, near 290 and W Broad. I asked for the list of nearby restaurants, and hello! there was a place called Salvi's Bistro next door. Now an upscale place, it still offers PastaSalvi. I think it's now made with Panko and expensive cream, but Don't Miss It. Other things I tried varied from interesting to excellent (I've been back a couple of times), but don't miss the PastaSalvi.

To corroborate comments on this and other theads: the food at Kahaki was not good, at least in its declining years. In fact, it was truly unfortunate.

Schmidt's in German Village is authentic, based on my ten or so trips to Bavaria. Tasty food, very good German style bier selection. Hoster's, in German village, used to brew tasty German style bier and offer decent food, but has been closed for years now.

OK, I'm headed back to Ohio on Sunday. Perhaps I'll have a chance to try one or two of the suggestions posted above.

Corn & Tomatoes
  • Post #38 - June 20th, 2008, 1:23 pm
    Post #38 - June 20th, 2008, 1:23 pm Post #38 - June 20th, 2008, 1:23 pm
    Three weeks have passed since I returned to Columbus and I've had a chance to drive around quite a bit to get the lay of the land. Things have definitely changed with regard to food in Columbus in the last ten years, and all for the better, in my opinion. It's kind of interesting, really, but one of the aspects about Columbus that I had always disliked seems to have contributed to the recent diversity of food offerings. When I was growing up, there was an explosion of strip mall building in the city. Strip malls, strip malls, as far as the eye could see. Ghastly, ugly things, most of them. As soon as one would go up, somebody would start building another one close by. Most of the tenants back then were chain stores and many people began expressing the fear that Columbus was "over-retailed." Many of the strip malls were only half full at times. Now, it seems that the over-supply of store front space has been filled by small businesses, many of them purveyors of ethnic food. I grew up on the Northwest side, which is where I'm staying now (in my parents' basement for God's sake, so if you know anybody who is interested in an Albany Park condo, please tell them to get in touch with me). Within a short distance of my parents' house I have found the following:

CAM (Columbus Asian Market) - a full service pan-asian grocery store, offering some prepared foods such as roast chicken, pork, and duck.

Patel Brothers Grocery -- my boys! The store is about half the size of the Devon Store.

Istanbul Market - A turkish grocery with a halal butcher

New Asian Market on 161 - I haven't been inside, but it appears to be quite large.

Mi Casita - a small Mexican market such as you might find on any corner in Chicago, with a small meat corner and (yes!) fresh tortillas from Koki's tortilleria, which seems to be the place that T. Kent referred to in an earlier post.

There is also a Japanese supermarket at Kenny Center (where Patel Brothers has their market) that has been there since I was a youngster. I'm blanking on the name, but it still seems to be there.

These are but a few of the places I've noticed so far, but my little baby is stirring so I'll have to report back later.
  • Post #39 - June 21st, 2008, 7:37 am
    Post #39 - June 21st, 2008, 7:37 am Post #39 - June 21st, 2008, 7:37 am
    Well, I promise to report more on the ethnic shopping opportunities in Columbus later, but I thought that I'd talk briefly about the lovely dining experience that I had last night. My brother, sister-in-law and I went to a new pizza place in the Short North. The Short North is an area of Columbus just north of downtown, full of art galleries, shops and restaurants. The restaurant is called Bonotogo, and as the name implies, there is no indoor seating. They had some tables set up on the sidewalk last night, though. In the nice weather, you have the option of walking about ten feet to Goodale Park to eat your pies. Goodale Park is a large and lovely public space with a fair number of picnic tables. It's great for people watching.

Bonotogo offers about ten special pizzas. One interesting choice was the Incredible Hulk, with all green ingredients, including pesto sauce. I didn't try this. The pizzas are about eight inches in diameter. You can also make your own. They're eight dollars each, or 3 for $20 -- a great deal.

This place reminds me a great deal of Apart pizza in Chicago. Similar type of pizza, good quality, good price. I had the greek pizza, which was fine, but my favorite was my sister-in-law's choice. She had the pizza bianca, a white pizza with onions, garlic, and artichokes.

This place is a great option for conventioneers or other visitors to Columbus because it is just a few blocks north of the Convention center and the related hotels. In the nice weather, you couldn't have a better meal in a nicer setting than Bonotogo pizza in Goodale Park.

Bonotogo is on Russell Street, about a half block west of High Street.
  • Post #40 - June 22nd, 2008, 8:36 pm
    Post #40 - June 22nd, 2008, 8:36 pm Post #40 - June 22nd, 2008, 8:36 pm
    Tonight we were heading to the Half Price Books store on Lane Avenue and we stopped for dinner at a place called Tai's Asian Bistro, just down the road from HPB (towards campus). It's eat-in or take-out, order at the counter, so not a lot of atmosphere. But the food was quite good. We started with Skewered Beef, which was 6 "sticks" of beef crusted with sesame with a light sauce and served over a nice bed of greens with some balsamic dressing. It would make a great lunch just by itself. My wife had Tai's Asian Chicken and steamed rice. It was battered chicken with chili peppers and onions. She said it was very good, but not super spicy despite the abundant peppers. I had the Mongolian Beef and fried rice. It was slices of beef and onions served over crispy noodles. The fried rice was average at best, but the beef was quite tasty. We each brought half our meals home with us. Not bad for $20.

We should have stopped at HPB first, though, as it was just closing as we got there. :? Instead we had a nice walk around OSU's beautiful campus.
    Life is too short to eat bad food, drink bad wine, or read bad books.
    Greasy Spoons
  • Post #41 - July 8th, 2008, 10:42 pm
    Post #41 - July 8th, 2008, 10:42 pm Post #41 - July 8th, 2008, 10:42 pm
    I tried Bonotogo sometime last week and was pretty pleased; the freshness of stood out. The pizza was fairly crisp towards the crust, a little soft towards the center. But all things considered, a pretty darn good pizza for a place only open a few weeks. It is kind of a welcome surprise for someone who is just acquainted with Eleni Christina (the bakery in which Bonotogo is housed), but note that one pizza is definitely “personal,” in the sense that you might still be a little hungry after eating one. We had the “Cherry Bomb” (standard tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and “really f-ing hot peppers”, as it says on the menu), “San Vito” (matchstick ham and white onions), and the “Verdura” (all the vegetables in the kitchen). The Verdura was by far the best- super fresh and delicious, and the only real disappointment was the hype of the peppers. They were decently spicy, but I didn’t even think about going to my glass of water. Lesson learned; don’t go to Bonotogo expecting the hottest peppers you’ve ever had.

As far as pizza goes in Columbus, Bonotogo is pretty far up there. It is definitely most comparable to a place like Figlio in terms of price, size, and ingredients, and overall quality. But the gold standard of pizza remains Rubino’s. The pizza is cracker thin, and you’re lucky if it even lasts for three minutes before it’s finished. Old school décor, service, and prices to boot.

Bonotogo
    641 N High St (don’t be fooled, it’s really on Russell)
    Columbus, OH 43215.
    (614) 906-8646.

Rubino’s
    2643 E Main St
    Columbus, OH 43209
    (614) 235-1700
  • Post #42 - August 16th, 2008, 11:01 am
    Post #42 - August 16th, 2008, 11:01 am Post #42 - August 16th, 2008, 11:01 am
    A large obstacle has been placed in the path of my Columbus, Ohio ethnic quest. The obstacle is called "law firm job," and it is an all-encompassing doozy. I have fridays off for now, though, as I attempt to move out of my parents' basement, so I thought that I'd give a quick update on some places I've found recently.

Law firm lets me out for approximately 20 minutes every day to get lunch. Downtown Columbus is horrible. Oh God, it's depressing. I don't know what happened to it. I worked here ten years ago and I don't recall the area being so deserted and sad. They don't even have any Wendy's restaurants down here anymore, and if you know Columbus (home of wendy's intl), that is just bizarre. However, last tuesday, I was pleased to stumble upon a little Venezuelan restaurant downtown, called El Arepazo. It is on Pearl Alley between Gay and High street. I had a wonderful freshly-made arepa with chicken. I also noted several platters of South American style food and some lovely salads with a lot of fresh avocados. Definitely, a go-to place for lunch downtown. There are long waits, unfortunately, because it is popular and they make everything fresh to order.

Last weekend, I visited the North Market with my husband and little baby. The North Market has been written about some on this thread. It's a smallish type market with a lot of artisan, specialty shops. They have a good butcher & fishmonger and several little restaurant stands. We were there for the farmer's market (a good one) that is held outside every Saturday, weather permitting. We loaded up on tomatoes and summer squash and then I stopped inside at "Lac Viet," one of the little stands that sells Bahn Mi and Pho. My favorite Bahn mi is usually the grilled pork, but I enjoy the traditional version with the pate, too. This stand only offered the traditional (with "vietnamese cold cuts" as the owner so euphimistically described them to me), chicken, vegetarian (!?) and grilled beef. I ordered the traditional version and was stopped dead in my tracks by the owner. "Do you really want that?" I said that I did, indeed. He then inquired as to whether I had ever had Vietnamese food. I answered in the affirmative. "Where?" he fired back. "Chicago," I said. "Oh, Chicago." he sniffed with an expression of extreme distaste. "You went to the restaurants on Argyle? Which one? You've had pho there?" I named a particular restaurant -- the last place I had visited. He said, "That place is terrible. They make their beef broth with chemicals. It's all chemicals. We use bones. We boil bones all day. On Argyle they just use chemicals." By now, my husband was hiding in a corner, giggling into his hands. I ordered the grilled beef bahn mi, as the owner instructed me to do, with a side of spring rolls. As he handed me my order, he delivered the final blow. "Chicago is the WORST place to get Vietnamese food."

The sandwich was fine for what it was, but did not seem like the bahn mi I got from Ba Le or the place in Lincoln Square (blanking on the name). It had mayonnaise (which I do not recall as being a component), but no jalapenos. Also, the french bread was different, and not as good, in my opinion. I'll be back to sample the pho and see if it is truly better than Chicago.
  • Post #43 - August 18th, 2008, 9:22 am
    Post #43 - August 18th, 2008, 9:22 am Post #43 - August 18th, 2008, 9:22 am
    maureencd: Very funny comment about Argyle from the Lac Viet guys, but I've generally had good experiences with their pho and broken rice/noodle dishes. The pho is not necessarily as complex as say...Tank Noodle, but it is certainly less greasy. You also might want to check out Mi Mi's on 161 and Cleveland Ave, as they have a pho broth with good depth and is pretty clean too, as well as good banh mi (if you're a pork/headcheese kind of person) and bubble tea as well. It won't take you long to conquer their menu though- only four or five items.

Quite the predicament with downtown lunch, huh? Although I have not experienced the woes of eating lunch in downtown Columbus during a weekday/with great time constraints, I have heard many express your same pain. Some possible alternatives when El Arepazo doesn't work out (and I take it the North Market is a little too far, or else you'd be somewhat set)-

Danny's Deli- Could never muster up the courage to go here knowing that Krystyna's Deli (a nice Polish place in Grandview) had the best roast beef sandwich, with a whole pound of roast beef, for only five or six dollars. But now that Krystyna's went out of business, I have heard that this place gives you the best bang for your buck (aka pounds of meat on a sandwich). They have a large enough menu that one should be able to find something that interests them.

Pearl Market (formerly Pearl Alley Market)- Set up right in front of El Arepazo and stretching all the way to Broad St, this farmer's market isn't a bad option, considering that some vendors have prepared foods and lunches. The bad news is that it only operates on Tuesdays and Fridays during the summer and beginning of Fall. But even if you don't find something for lunch here, you can always grab a pint of fruit to stick in the company fridge.

Black Creek Bistro- This one might be a stretch, but Black Creek is a restaurant that is owned by a farmer, and a lot of the components of the food come from his farm. What I just recently discovered, though, is that for lunch, Black Creek is a very reasonable option, with sandwiches running from $5-9, pasta, and daily specials. The reason that this place might be a stretch is I have no idea how long it takes for them to prepare the food, and it's borderline downtown/Olde Town East, so time could be an obstacle.

Warehouse Cafe- Can't tell you much about this place, except that it is Albanian owned, has very reasonable prices for paninis and salads, and serves a good diner-style breakfast. I don't know if or how Albanian is incorporated into the food (the descriptions I've read have said Albanian- American food, and I guess they do an Albanian panini), but it's certainly worth looking into.

Danny's Deli
    37 W Broad St
    Columbus, OH 43215
    614-469-7040

Pearl Market
    Pearl Alley between Gay and Broad

Black Creek Bistro
    51 Parsons Ave
    Columbus, OH 43215
    614-246-9662

Warehouse Cafe
    243 N 5th St
    Columbus, OH 43215
    614-221-1220
  • Post #44 - August 21st, 2008, 6:45 pm
    Post #44 - August 21st, 2008, 6:45 pm Post #44 - August 21st, 2008, 6:45 pm
    Hey T Kent, thanks for the info, especially the recommendation for Mimi's. It's on my list. I had another very nice lunch at El Arepazo on Wednesday. The tilapia salad was excellent. I love those little arepitas. I've also heard that Danny's Deli (Broad & Front) has excellent corned beef -- "better than Katzingers" is what I was told.
  • Post #45 - January 25th, 2009, 12:08 pm
    Post #45 - January 25th, 2009, 12:08 pm Post #45 - January 25th, 2009, 12:08 pm
    A few more notes on Columbus while the kid is asleep:

Danny's Deli is across the street from my office, so I'm basically there once a week. They are indeed, "better than Katzinger's." The corned beef is divine. Moist, tender, flavorful. I try to stay away from it, actually, so that I won't balloon up to four hundred pounds. Their sandwiches are quite big -- even the half sandwich is huge. My regular order from them is the chicken soup, either with rice or matzoh balls. The chicken broth is so wonderful. The depth. The nuance. I am in love.

Seriously, this place is a destination, folks. If you're in the area, make your way to the center of Columbus' moribund downtown and order up. It is located at Broad & Front in the basement of an office building. It has its own entrance.

Trivia: Danny's is an outpost of a Cleveland Deli that has been around since the 70s. The Danny's in Columbus is actually run by "Danny," the son of the original owners for whom the original was named.

My husband and I also had a very nice meal at The Worthington Inn, recently. This restaurant is a fine dining establishment located in an old inn (which was converted to condominiums very recently). Worthington is a contiguous suburb of Columbus with a new england type of shtick going on. I had some very good fried oysters -- a nice surprise in Columbus and my husband had an excellent steak on top of a potato gratin. Their bread is housemade and very good. Nothing was out of the ordinary, but everything seemed well-prepared. The Worthington Inn is on High Street & New England Street. It is just south of State Route 161.
  • Post #46 - April 21st, 2009, 8:17 am
    Post #46 - April 21st, 2009, 8:17 am Post #46 - April 21st, 2009, 8:17 am
    Nancy's is closing. I wish the King family all the best and thank them for many warm, buttery memories.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/multimedia/video/index.html?maven_playerId=dispatchvideo&maven_referralObject=4486277
  • Post #47 - April 21st, 2009, 8:31 am
    Post #47 - April 21st, 2009, 8:31 am Post #47 - April 21st, 2009, 8:31 am
    That's too bad. I didn't love it, but it had a lot of personality and the world, or at least one side of Columbus, will be poorer for the loss.
  • Post #48 - April 21st, 2009, 1:21 pm
    Post #48 - April 21st, 2009, 1:21 pm Post #48 - April 21st, 2009, 1:21 pm
    Do you know when? I'm going for a wedding in two weeks and staying downtown, I was hoping to get a half a garbage before it closes.
  • Post #49 - April 21st, 2009, 2:10 pm
    Post #49 - April 21st, 2009, 2:10 pm Post #49 - April 21st, 2009, 2:10 pm
    June 1st, according to this article in the Columbus Dispatch about some devoted patrons' efforts to save the restaurant.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/lo ... ancys.html

And to Mike G.'s point about Nancy's being one of those places that is about more than the (inexpensive large portions of good) food, this Letter to the Editor captures part of that spirit.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/ed ... DK4LQ.html

In 2004, I was on disability due to two back surgeries. Once a week, my son and daughter and I would stop at Nancy's for breakfast. If Cindy was cooking that day, she'd always tell me: "Big John, you're not working. Put your money back."

For nearly a year, King served up a free breakfast for us. This comes as no surprise to readers who know King and the Nancy's dining experience.
  • Post #50 - April 21st, 2009, 2:39 pm
    Post #50 - April 21st, 2009, 2:39 pm Post #50 - April 21st, 2009, 2:39 pm
    I'll be able to get one last time in there, but it's usually so crowded it has to be timed perfectly. The irony is that they are so far in debt, and I can't tell you how many free meals they gave away. Usually, the entire OSU football team. Without menus, the price is whatever...
  • Post #51 - May 26th, 2009, 4:25 pm
    Post #51 - May 26th, 2009, 4:25 pm Post #51 - May 26th, 2009, 4:25 pm

So I was in Columbus for the film fest again and I went to Nancy's one last time (presumably).

It was REALLY good!

Am I being sentimental about a place that's about to go away (presumably)? Maybe. But there was one big difference between my meal last year and this year. Last year, I followed the normal practice of the place and let them pour sausage gravy over everything. The result was a big gloppy mess.

This year, I went minimalist-- ham cheese and onion omelet and home fries, no gravy. It was terrific. I've had two great diner breakfasts this year, Nancy's and Palace Grill (not White Palace Grill, Palace Grill). I really hope, somehow, I can eat at Nancy's next year.

• Post #52 - May 26th, 2009, 8:36 pm
    Post #52 - May 26th, 2009, 8:36 pm Post #52 - May 26th, 2009, 8:36 pm
    Hi,

I will be in Columbus next week. I presume I can get to Nancy's, too. Right?

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #53 - May 26th, 2009, 8:47 pm
    Post #53 - May 26th, 2009, 8:47 pm Post #53 - May 26th, 2009, 8:47 pm
    I don't know. The closing date was supposed to be June 1 but given the sign, and the way the place felt, it may have been extended.

There was a fundraiser on Saturday, incidentally.
  • Post #54 - May 26th, 2009, 8:56 pm
    Post #54 - May 26th, 2009, 8:56 pm Post #54 - May 26th, 2009, 8:56 pm
    I also went for my last (I thought) meal. Half a garbage, potatoes with gravy. That gravy was so good and peppery. I forgot how good it was. I also forgot how bad the coffee was.. I went on Thursday morning, and every seat was taken with a line. Nobody really understands the closing. Do they want to close or not?

TIP: Don't go with the tough pancake with the corn syrup.....
  • Post #55 - May 27th, 2009, 7:33 pm
    Post #55 - May 27th, 2009, 7:33 pm Post #55 - May 27th, 2009, 7:33 pm
    June 1st is looking like the hard deadline, although with all the money that they've raised through fundraisers, it's possible that they'll reopen later in the year if the repair costs are low enough. By the sound of it, if they do ever reopen, it's going to be with a new look...the atmosphere is half the allure, as far as I'm concerned.
  • Post #56 - May 27th, 2009, 10:32 pm
    Post #56 - May 27th, 2009, 10:32 pm Post #56 - May 27th, 2009, 10:32 pm
    T Kent (as well as anyone else),

I'm passing by (or quite near) to Columbus next week. I am going to Gambier to a class for a few days. Since Gambier appears to be a college town, do you know of any interesting places to check out?

If Nancy's is indeed closed, do you have any suggestions for breakfast in Columbus that are as good?

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #57 - May 28th, 2009, 12:43 pm
    Post #57 - May 28th, 2009, 12:43 pm Post #57 - May 28th, 2009, 12:43 pm
    Breakfast recommendations:

Jack & Benny’s is a good option, especially if you want breakfast a la Nancy’s. Granted, the atmosphere is nowhere nearly as good, but I’ve never had a bad breakfast at J & B’s. They have omelets, pancakes, French toast—all the standard diner offerings. I like the pancakes, and they usually have six or seven flavors to choose from, listed on a board above the booths. The apple cinnamon and chocolate chip ones are especially delicious. It’s also only two or three blocks away from Nancy’s. I would warn you about Jack & Benny’s waits, however, which can be horrific on a weekend when hungry college students wait for hours. A weekday wait shouldn’t be too bad, and I suppose if you got up early enough on a weekend you could beat the sleepy college students.

Jack & Benny’s
    2563 N High St
    Columbus, OH 43202
    (614) 263-0242

Northstar is a good, albeit pretty expensive option. It opens at 9 am, has two locations (Clintonville on the north side of Columbus, and the Short North just north of downtown), and is part of the organic local movement. And it’s probably why they can justify charging 8.50 for granola, yogurt, and fruit, and 9.50 for super fluffy ricotta pancakes. It might be the polar opposite of the Nancy’s/Jack & Benny’s experience.

Clintonville Northstar
    4215 N High St
    Columbus, OH 43214
    (614) 784-2233

Short North Northstar
    951 N High St
    Columbus, OH 43215
    (614) 298-9999

I just recalled that Der Dutchman has breakfast, and it’s pretty good Amish home cooking northwest of Columbus. I don’t know how out of your way you want to go—I wouldn’t think it remarkable enough to go too far, unless you really want to get some Amish/Mennonite goods, in which case, it’s a good place to pick up some pie and apple butter. Very good broasted chicken, too. (I can’t really describe what “broasted” means, it’s almost the equivalent of fried, but it’s a different cooking technique)

Der Dutchman
    445 S Jefferson Ave,
    Plain City, OH‎ 43064
    (614) 873-3414‎

The final breakfast suggestion I’m going to make is for somewhere I’ve never been for breakfast, but is almost surely a good bet. That would be Creole Kitchen, which sits in the shadows of a giant apartment complex in a sort of hidden strip mall. It’s on the city’s near east side in a historically black neighborhood called King-Lincoln, and it’s recently garnered attention for the renovation and opening of a long-closed theatre. That said, I wouldn’t worry about too much of a wait for breakfast. They offer beignets, creole eggs, and even fish and grits and eggs. The reason why I can assure you that it’s going to be good is because the other meals I’ve had here have been tremendous. They open at 7 AM for breakfast, and it’s very important to note that it’s only takeout.

If you can’t make it to Creole Kitchen for breakfast, I would highly recommend going for lunch or dinner. The meals feel like they were made in a gourmet restaurant, yet they’re eaten out of a Styrofoam box. They offer super rich etouffee, inexpensive and delicious po’ boys, perfectly blackened whiting and chicken, and wonderfully flavorful gumbo. The value is tremendous—I went a few months back, got half a chicken, creamy and delicious green beans and rice for a 4 dollar lunch special. The desserts are worth getting too—peach cobbler and brown sugar pound cake are not too sweet but very tasty, and the bread pudding is very rich with a complex syrupy sauce accompanying it. It’s definitely one of the hidden treasures in Columbus

Creole Kitchen
    1052 Mt. Vernon Plaza
    Columbus, Ohio 43203

As far as other suggestions go, I would point you to favorites I’ve already posted about—the chicken shawarma at Nazareth Deli is excellent, El Arepazo cooks up some tasty Venezuelan and Colombian downtown, Indochine Café has excellent pho, beef and pork over rice/noodles, and chicken wings out on the city’s east side, and the city’s west side has a multitude of good Mexican options. If you’re looking for unique options, one would be Thurman’s Café in German Village (south of downtown) for its famous burgers, including the Thurmanator, a two pound behemoth of meat and cheese. Columbus sports a few coney dog places that would be hard to find unless you go to the Cincinnati area, and our Somali population is pretty significant, although I have yet to find a really outstanding Somali restaurant. I can’t really speak for the area around Gambier, besides that it really is a sleepy little village that is hard to separate from Kenyon. If there’s anything more specific you’re looking for, I can try and point you in the right direction.

I went to Nancy's this morning- as good as it's ever been, but sadly, no indication that they'll stay open.

All the best,
    T Kent
  • Post #58 - May 28th, 2009, 1:11 pm
    Post #58 - May 28th, 2009, 1:11 pm Post #58 - May 28th, 2009, 1:11 pm
    Cathy-

I am sure you read the whole thread, a great suggestion is the NorthStar Cafe and then a trip to the North Market it's the way to go if you can't get to Nancy's. And, I completely agree with T Kent, Nancy's really isn't all about the food, it's the atmosphere, because some of the food really isn't all that good. It's the type of place that when my husband gave Kenny a $20 bill and Kenny handed him back $9, I had to snap him out of his stupor. He looked at me and said that guy just gave me back $9, how can that be, we ordered three breakfasts?
  • Post #59 - May 28th, 2009, 2:39 pm
    Post #59 - May 28th, 2009, 2:39 pm Post #59 - May 28th, 2009, 2:39 pm
    We tried to go to Northstar but it was closed on Memorial Day. We wound up eating at a place next door (short North) called ZPizza, which looks like a Cosi but was entirely decent, fresh ingredients, woodburning style oven.

I ate at Jack and Benny's again this year as well, it's a perfectly decent place, and they couldn't be nicer, but it's nowhere near as colorful or atmospheric as Nancy's.
  • Post #60 - May 28th, 2009, 3:08 pm
    Post #60 - May 28th, 2009, 3:08 pm Post #60 - May 28th, 2009, 3:08 pm
    Another recommendation that just popped into my head, I mentioned it earlier on the thread in passing...

On Main St. down toward Bexley there's a pizza place called Rubino's. I think it's a pretty great compromise of atmosphere and delicious food. The pizza is cut into rectangles a la midwest/st. louis style (whatever you want to call it). The place's crowning glory is the pizza's crispiness. They make them with super thin crusts, and the whole darned pizza is cheese, sauce, and cracker-filled goodness- from what I've read, sort of similar to what candlelite used to do. The pizza-makers make you feel like a regular, old-school waitresses get you 60 cent pop, and a pinball machine sits next to where the pizzas are made. Pizzas are super cheap, too, starting around $8 for a large cheese. I'd recommend not loading the pizza down with toppings. Stick to cheese, pepperoni, or any one topping and the pizza should be very crispy. Any more toppings and I've found that it gets heavy and not as crispy. It's a neighborhood place, and it's just somewhere where you can soak in the food and atmosphere and be wonderfully satisfied. The only knock on Rubino's (besides the occasional wait) is that there are four parking spaces in front of the place. Luckily, the sides streets provide ample parking (a distinct advantage that Columbus has over Chicago). Tough to compare with the fancy Italian woodfired places like Spacca Napoli or Stop 50, but as far as old school American pizzas go, it's the best in my book.

Oh, and check out Denise's Ice Cream in Clintonville or Jeni's Ice Cream (they have four or five locations now, I think, although the quality of their ice cream hasn't suffered from it). I know Chicago to be a little lacking in the ice cream scene, and these two places will pretty much blow anything out of the park. They're both a bit pricey, Jeni's tends to be more exotic, although you get some odd flavors at Denise's, too (most recently Cucumber, and Rhubarb) but they're both worth the trip. If you go to Jeni's, it might be worth going to their location in the North Market, just so you can check out the atmosphere there. It's a homier midwestern Reading Terminal Market, for those familiar with the old Philadelphia landmark.

Rubino's Pizza
    2643 E Main St
    Columbus, OH 43209
    (614) 235-1700

Denise's Ice Cream
    2899 N High St
    Columbus, OH 43202
    (614) 267-8800

Jeni's (located inside the North Market, also with locations in Grandview, the Short North, Bexley, and Dublin)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more