LTH Home

Looking for food in San Diego

Looking for food in San Diego
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Looking for food in San Diego

Post #1 - June 12th, 2005, 9:11 am
    Post #1 - June 12th, 2005, 9:11 am Post #1 - June 12th, 2005, 9:11 am
    My wife and I checked into the La Costa resort in Carlsbad and wanted good Mexican right away. We had heard that El Callijon was the place to be.

We went last night and it did not disappoint. I started with a Tecate draft and then we dove into some authentic deep fried chicken quesidilla. Then the chips and salsa came out and we were treated to home made chips done perfectly with three salsas ranging from mild to hot.

I ordered a beef Chili Relleno with rice and refried beans and my wife ordered the Langoustine taco plate. Everything was superb and we will be returning for sure.

Anyone ever been to Fidels out here? I have heard it is also good.

More updates to come
    Brad Mackler
  • Post #2 - July 14th, 2005, 9:19 am
    Post #2 - July 14th, 2005, 9:19 am Post #2 - July 14th, 2005, 9:19 am
    I know this is a little bit of pre-planning, I'm not going until November, but does anyone have a recommendation for a restaurant in the San Diego area worthy of a Marine graduation celebration?

Flip
    Last edited by Flip on October 14th, 2005, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Beer is proof God loves us, and wants us to be Happy"
    -Ben Franklin-
  • Post #3 - July 14th, 2005, 9:35 am
    Post #3 - July 14th, 2005, 9:35 am Post #3 - July 14th, 2005, 9:35 am
    My sister lives in San Diego, so I go out there every year or so. Here are a few - fairly obvious - recommendations (I've tried them all, and can recommend all, but they're all different):

In La Jolla, historic, great views from the balcony, and a favorite of my grandfather's: The Valencia.

A newer place, just north of San Diego, known for its golf course, but has a lot more, is Torrey Pines.

And of course, Hotel Del is dripping with history and ambiance.

One other note - George's at the Cove in La Jolla frequently gets mentioned as the best fine dining in the area. My experience - admittedly limited to one trip, so YMMV - was adequate food at very high prices for the quality.
  • Post #4 - July 14th, 2005, 1:43 pm
    Post #4 - July 14th, 2005, 1:43 pm Post #4 - July 14th, 2005, 1:43 pm
    I think that, for a celebratory dinner in really elegant setting, the Marine Room in La Jolla is hard to beat. The waves crash right up outside the windows at high tide.

Marine Room
  • Post #5 - October 14th, 2005, 1:00 pm
    Post #5 - October 14th, 2005, 1:00 pm Post #5 - October 14th, 2005, 1:00 pm
    Just thought I'd prop this up as my trip nears.

Flip
    "Beer is proof God loves us, and wants us to be Happy"
    -Ben Franklin-
  • Post #6 - October 17th, 2005, 12:10 pm
    Post #6 - October 17th, 2005, 12:10 pm Post #6 - October 17th, 2005, 12:10 pm
    [quote="nr706"]

In La Jolla, historic, great views from the balcony, and a favorite of my grandfather's: The Valencia.

I was just down there a few weeks ago and had a wonderful meal at the Valencia. We went late in the afternoon to the bar on the balcony with that gorgeous view and ended up dining from their small plates menu. Everything we ordered was outstanding. We had Lobster paella stuffed calamari, diver scallops with white beans and truffle tomato ragout, ahi tuna tartare, and an heirloom tomato and bufalo mozzarella salad.
  • Post #7 - October 20th, 2005, 5:26 pm
    Post #7 - October 20th, 2005, 5:26 pm Post #7 - October 20th, 2005, 5:26 pm
    It's been a few years since I lived in San Diego, but I can recommend a few restaurants in Coronado (not far from Point Loma, where the Marine Corps Recruit Depot is located). Strolling around the island is a great way to spend the day.

Miguel's: Great Mexican (especially the ceviche), fairly lowkey and inexpensive (http://www.brigantine.com/miguels/mcoronado.html)

Primavera: Nice Italian, fairly formal (932 Orange Ave.). Nice for dinner but I really like the cafe next door for breakfast - great pastries.

Hotel del Coronado: For a celebratory Sunday brunch. Expensive but you won't have to eat the rest of the day.

Also, the Fish Market (or the more upscale Top of the Market) has a great selection of seafood and a wonderful view overlooking San Diego Bay. 750 N. Harbor Drive. (http://www.thefishmarket.com/locations_details.asp?id=6)

Congratulations to the new Marine. Semper Fi.
  • Post #8 - October 20th, 2005, 6:35 pm
    Post #8 - October 20th, 2005, 6:35 pm Post #8 - October 20th, 2005, 6:35 pm
    There's a wonderful little seafood place right on the beach called "The Green Flash"

701 Thomas Avenue
    San Diego, CA 92109
    Telephone: 858-270-7715

I've only been there once, but the fish was fresh and tasty, lots of choices on the menu, and a nice place to watch the sun go down.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #9 - August 30th, 2007, 9:47 am
    Post #9 - August 30th, 2007, 9:47 am Post #9 - August 30th, 2007, 9:47 am
    I'm trying to finalize our Labor Day weekend in San Diego. During our trip, we'll be going to the Zoo, Petco Park, La Jolla, Del Mar racetrack, Coronado Island, and possibly Cabrillo Monument. We'll be staying in a condo on S. Mission Blvd.

On my list to hit will be:
    In n Out
    Fatburger
    South Beach Bar & Grille for fish tacos
    Exordinary Desserts
    Garlic fries at Petco
    Point Loma Seafoods – what do you recommend there?

I'm on the fence about these, so if you have better suggestions, please let me know!
    Rubios - should I try their fish tacos or shrimp burrito?
    Sombrero - I'm interested in trying carne asada fries, and this was one of the recommendations
    Hash a go go

Definitely want to dine w/an oceanview. Here are some of the ones that I have come across so far:
    Marine Room, Brockton Villa or George's at the Cove in La Jolla
    Kono's Cafe, World Famous, Canes Bar & Grille

I've also read about Rimels and El Pescador Fish Market in La Jolla in previous LTH Posts. Which section of the Valencia do you recommend? Is that the Whaling Bar, Sky Room, Mediterranean Room or La Sala?

Where do you recommend shopping for a picnic? Also, since most of my list is on the casual side, what to recommend for something on the nicer side ( i.e. average entree $25)? Thanks!
  • Post #10 - August 30th, 2007, 10:26 am
    Post #10 - August 30th, 2007, 10:26 am Post #10 - August 30th, 2007, 10:26 am
    Don't know if this fits anywhere in your trip, but the freshly made sfogliatelle at Cafe Zucchero in Little Italy were divine.

Total shot in the dark...met a guy at a winery in Mexico, sourcing wines for his restaurant The Linkery (as in sausage). Sounded really fantastic. It oughtta, I guess, since it was his restaurant. I regretted not having a chance to try it, but looking at their website, it might actually fit your "little bit nicer" request. I'd love to hear if you go, or if anyone has been.

Also, had some phenomenal sushi at a total out of the way place called Sushi USA, if you happen to be looking that way.

Sorry these suggestions don't answer any of your questions, but thought I'd throw out some San Diego choices.

Cafe Zucchero
    1731 India St
    San Diego, CA 92101
    (619) 531-1731
    http://www.cafezucchero.com/

The Linkery
    3382 30th St
    San Diego, CA 92104
    (619) 255-8778
    http://thelinkery.com/

Sushi USA
    12865 Rancho Penasquitos Blvd
    San Diego, CA
    (858) 484-3600
  • Post #11 - August 30th, 2007, 10:30 am
    Post #11 - August 30th, 2007, 10:30 am Post #11 - August 30th, 2007, 10:30 am
    Aaron Deacon wrote:Total shot in the dark...met a guy at a winery in Mexico, sourcing wines for his restaurant The Linkery (as in sausage). Sounded really fantastic. It oughtta, I guess, since it was his restaurant. I regretted not having a chance to try it, but looking at their website, it might actually fit your "little bit nicer" request. I'd love to hear if you go, or if anyone has been.

The Linkery
    3382 30th St
    San Diego, CA 92104
    (619) 255-8778
    http://thelinkery.com/
    Love their website. I will have to make an effort to try it out. I'll try to take pictures and post if I go. Thanks, I would've never found this.
  • Post #12 - August 30th, 2007, 2:11 pm
    Post #12 - August 30th, 2007, 2:11 pm Post #12 - August 30th, 2007, 2:11 pm
    P.S. What's something edible that is uniquely San Diego for me to bring home to my family? It must survive the plane ride home, and it would be ideal if I did not have to check in my luggage! Thanks
  • Post #13 - August 30th, 2007, 2:23 pm
    Post #13 - August 30th, 2007, 2:23 pm Post #13 - August 30th, 2007, 2:23 pm
    Pucca wrote:P.S. What's something edible that is uniquely San Diego for me to bring home to my family? It must survive the plane ride home, and it would be ideal if I did not have to check in my luggage! Thanks

You can try to do what I did once--bring a few Julian pies home (apple, raspberry, etc.). I brought them in a second carry-on bag, and took extra care putting them under my seat! Julian pies are really good; the apple pies are truly special, IMO.

If you want to bring something smaller back, perhaps dried chilis? I've taken back some good ones from the area...
  • Post #14 - August 30th, 2007, 3:27 pm
    Post #14 - August 30th, 2007, 3:27 pm Post #14 - August 30th, 2007, 3:27 pm
    I would bring back vegetables and fruit from the The Vegetable Shop farm stand (aka Chino's). Various notable chefs (e.g., Alice Waters, Wolfgang Puck) fly in their produce daily. They have fantastic strawberries, tomatoes, shell beans, herbs, greens, and more. (San Diegans love the corn, but I think Illinois has better corn at a better price.) If you like gawking at fancy estates, the drive out to Chino's takes you through the ritziest area in San Diego. Take the 5 to Via de la Valle. Go east a few miles, and turn right on Calzada del Bosque (just after you see The Vegetable Shop sign.) The stand will be about a half mile down on your right.

Mexican food in San Diego really isn't all that (especially compared to Chicago), but Super Cocina is very unique. The cooks' only experience is cooking for their families, so you get an interesting range of dishes. Two dishes from the steam table plus beans and rice will run you about $7. The neighborhood is a bit dicey (by San Diego standards), so most people go for lunch.

Super Cocina
    3627 University Ave.
    San Diego, CA 92104
    (619) 584-6244

More on the tourist path is the Marine Room, mentioned above. They do a fantastic brunch. The cuisine is a little dated but nonetheless delicious, and the view is worth the trip in itself.

San Diego does sushi very well. If you like uni, make sure you have it while you're out here because much of the uni in the U.S. is caught in San Diego. Sushi Ota is a very popular option. You need a reservation, and try to sit at the sushi bar (preferably in front of Ota himself).

Sushi Ota
    4529 Mission Bay Dr.
    San Diego, CA 92109
    (858) 270-5670

You also could try Sushi Dokoro Shirahama. The owner/sushi chef is pretty strict about his sushi, and no California rolls are allowed. The fish is incredibly fresh, though.

Sushi Dokoro Shirahama
    4212 Convoy St.
    San Diego, CA
    (858) 650-3578

If you go to George's at the Cove in La Jolla (mentioned above), keep in mind that there are at least two restaurants in the complex: fine dining and the outdoor terrace. I've only eaten on the terrace, and that was some years ago. The food was nothing earth shattering, but the view is beautiful.

For local fish, I prefer El Pescador and Rimel's Rotisserie in La Jolla over Point Loma Seafoods. El Pescador is a tiny fish market that also makes some delicious fish sandwiches. Rimel's does various grilled items, including fish caught on their own boat. Others like Blue Water Seafood, but I've never been.

El Pescador
    627 Pearl St
    La Jolla, CA 92037
    (858) 456-2526

Rimel's Rotisserie
    1030 Torrey Pines Rd
    La Jolla, CA 92037
    (858) 454-6045

Blue Water Seafood
    3667 India St
    San Diego, CA
    (619) 497-0914

For further recommendations trending towards the Asian and budget-friendly, check out
    http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com. The restaurants on Kirk's "rotation" are quite reliable.
  • Post #15 - January 5th, 2013, 9:40 pm
    Post #15 - January 5th, 2013, 9:40 pm Post #15 - January 5th, 2013, 9:40 pm
    I found this interesting. They are eating and rating every place on Convoy St. in San Diego.
    This is primarily an Asian (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Thai) area.

http://convoyconquest.blogspot.com/
  • Post #16 - November 22nd, 2015, 3:30 pm
    Post #16 - November 22nd, 2015, 3:30 pm Post #16 - November 22nd, 2015, 3:30 pm
    Hi -- Curious if there are any recent updates for San Diego-- La Jolla area specifically? Would love suggestions for a spot that would be good for a larger group-- nothing too dainty for sure but good food required! Thank you. We will have a car but don't want to stray too, too far. Thanks!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more