LTH Home

Laschet's und der Ostpreußischer Bärenfang

Laschet's und der Ostpreußischer Bärenfang
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 5
  • Post #91 - July 23rd, 2008, 6:13 am
    Post #91 - July 23rd, 2008, 6:13 am Post #91 - July 23rd, 2008, 6:13 am
    Glad to see I can rile 'em up! Geez, the Harold's thing was just me being lazy. (I prefer Evanston Chicken Shack anyway.) The point was that I knew that Laschet's wouldn't be like my favorite chicken shack style or my favorite thai fried chicken style or... etc. But it had merited a lot of raves above.

Anyway, as with JimTheBeerGuy, I was particularly unimpressed by the size of the chicken pieces. And while it was cooked well enough, it struck me as not much different from the family restaurant style fried chicken which was my staple on early restaurant trips with my grandparents.

JimInLoganSquare wrote:For this is a dish that MUST be pan fried, by hand, to excel. Asking for excellent deep fried chicken is like asking for a machine-made bespoke suit; getting it is a categorical impossibility.

Let me introduce you to the fried chicken at Sun Wah.
    Joe G.

"Whatever may be wrong with the world, at least it has some good things to eat." -- Cowboy Jack Clement
  • Post #92 - August 29th, 2008, 11:20 pm
    Post #92 - August 29th, 2008, 11:20 pm Post #92 - August 29th, 2008, 11:20 pm
    Mr Views decided to spend the evening away at the last minute, so I found myself open to go anywhere. Without Mr Views, I didn't need to worry about shrimp allergies and celiac. What a luxury!

Quickly perusing the GNR list, I spotted Laschet's. It was one within walking distance I hadn't yet tried, it was a nice evening for a walk, and the pictures up-thread were enticing, so off I went.

I had one of the dark beers, but didn't catch the name. I ordered the goulash; it came with spaetzle and red cabbage. Everything was very good, from the salad with mixed greens to the much-more-spicy-than-expected goulash gravy. I found I wasn't as hungry as I thought, so I didn't finish anything, not even my beer. The portions were large enough, however, that I probably have two more meals*. I took home an apple crisp though haven't tasted it yet.

The service was very friendly, exactly what I'd expect from a GNR. I was hoping for some liver dumpling soup, but alas it was Friday and clam chowder night. I couldn't see that they ever had liver dumpling soup, actually, so am guessing they typically have a more "American" soup offering.

While I doubt I'll get there often since Mr Views would have a hard time eating much except the salad, I would certainly go back.

*I do tend to eat dainty amounts at meals, however this was still a huge plate of food. I don't know if all entrees are the same size, but if so, I imagine many people take at least part of their food home.
  • Post #93 - January 4th, 2009, 2:22 am
    Post #93 - January 4th, 2009, 2:22 am Post #93 - January 4th, 2009, 2:22 am
    Dining at Laschet's tonight (the line for Smoque was around the block), my friends and i got a table right next to Rod Blagojevich. He looked well and seemed to be in pretty high spirits, all things considered, did a little schmoozing with a nearby family and annihilated whatever he ordered. Couldn't exactly tell what it was.

My rouladen was a real banger, in any case.
  • Post #94 - January 6th, 2009, 4:21 pm
    Post #94 - January 6th, 2009, 4:21 pm Post #94 - January 6th, 2009, 4:21 pm
    I had a Christmas Eve dinner at Laschet's with my step daughter, her partner and My Bride.

My step daughter and her partner had returned 5 months ago from living in Flensburg, Germany for 2 years and thought they might be missing the cuisine from the fatherland. :) They live about 2 1/2 miles away and have never visited.

We ordered and shared the sauerbraten, rouladen, goulash and chicken schnitzel. Everything was spot on!

The sauerbraten (rumored to be marinated for 21 days) was a thick cut, tender as it could be and the flavor was perfect. I had tried the sauerbraten at Berghoff's right before they closed and it was a ghost of what was offered at Laschet's. 4 thin slices dwarfed by the platter it was served on and not nearly enough sauer in the gravy.

The rouladen was a touch dry and needed to have a thin slice of pickle to match the rouladen that my dear Swedish mom used to make but once again the flavor was spot on.

The goulash, tender chunks of beef with a touch of heat and the red cabbage and spaetzle perfect.

The lone and non-German was a whirling dervish as the place was about 3/4 full but she kept her cool and didn't miss a beat. We were not in a rush by any means.

Always a great meal!
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #95 - February 22nd, 2011, 2:38 pm
    Post #95 - February 22nd, 2011, 2:38 pm Post #95 - February 22nd, 2011, 2:38 pm
    I had the braised pork shank there over the weekend. It was outstanding. I'm not quite sure how they get that combination of sweet, moist inner meat and perfectly crisp, crackling exterior of skin (perhaps) a quick dunk in the deep fryer after coming out of the oven. Portion, as the pic can attest, was ample. The mix of crackling skin and juicy, tender meat was outstanding. Really, just a great meal and in my top ten for under $20 plates ($16.95) that I've had in the past year.
    60% of the time, I work EVERY time!
  • Post #96 - February 23rd, 2011, 10:08 am
    Post #96 - February 23rd, 2011, 10:08 am Post #96 - February 23rd, 2011, 10:08 am
    Sex Panther wrote:Image

Thank you for the photo, Sex Panther. Now I need to go eat a Laschet's pork shank ASAP.
  • Post #97 - February 23rd, 2011, 10:43 am
    Post #97 - February 23rd, 2011, 10:43 am Post #97 - February 23rd, 2011, 10:43 am
    I'm not quite sure how they get that combination of sweet, moist inner meat and perfectly crisp, crackling exterior of skin (perhaps) a quick dunk in the deep fryer after coming out of the oven.

That's the way, I believe. I had a similar crackling/sumptuous shank at The Publican for New Year's (at a considerably higher price point), and I was told that that was their technique.
    "The fork with two prongs is in use in northern Europe. In England, they’re armed with a steel trident, a fork with three prongs. In France we have a fork with four prongs; it’s the height of civilization." Eugene Briffault (1846)
  • Post #98 - February 23rd, 2011, 10:44 am
    Post #98 - February 23rd, 2011, 10:44 am Post #98 - February 23rd, 2011, 10:44 am
    happy_stomach wrote:Thank you for the photo, Sex Panther. Now I need to go eat a Laschet's pork shank ASAP.
    Yes, thanks Sex P, pork shank looks crazy good.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #99 - March 30th, 2011, 7:46 am
    Post #99 - March 30th, 2011, 7:46 am Post #99 - March 30th, 2011, 7:46 am
    Laschet's has undergone a fairly dramatic expansion lately - not sure when exactly, but forgive me father, it has been several months since my last trip to Laschet's.

There's now a huge new back room, the bathrooms have been brought into the present day and the kitchen appears to have had some growth as well. I thought that the extra space and breathing room has had a relaxing effect on the vibe to the place - I always liked the near elbow-to-elbow space, the close quarters and the general great-uncle's-dining-room feel to the place, an atmosphere which has been reduced considerably. However, service was quicker than before and thankfully, the food was as good as ever, if not better.

Goulash last night was delicate, fork-tender and crazy rich with flavor - beefy with a nice light burst of heat and spice. Spaetzle were popcorn-light and sauteed in just a touch of butter, red cabbage sweet and tangy. I'd never had the smoked porkchops before (special of the night) and feared they'd be dry and tough. Dead wrong - they were as moist, tender, smoky and salty as I could have hoped, and one of the best porkchops I've ever had. Bonus - the portion size was so huge I have a full 2nd chop for lunch today. Roasted potatoes were...well, roasted potatoes, and only the sauerkraut was a miss, as it tasted overwhelmingly of chicken stock.

End-of-meal shot of apple schnapps remains a tradition intact. Litres of Hofbrau Maibock timely and tasty.

Long story short: Laschet's is not exactly a summer destination for us, since "heavy German comfort food" and "90+ degrees and humidity" don't often go hand in hand.. So with this last (yeah, right) burst of chilly weather this week, do yourself a favor and go go go go go to Laschet's.
    Writing about craft beer at GuysDrinkingBeer.com
    "You don't realize it, but we're at dinner right now." ~Ebert
  • Post #100 - March 30th, 2011, 8:53 am
    Post #100 - March 30th, 2011, 8:53 am Post #100 - March 30th, 2011, 8:53 am
    I might be wrong, but I believe the chops (Kassler ribs) are from nearby Paulina Market. Yeah, they are about as good as pork chops get. The expansion has been in place for some months.

When the weather turns hot, I think the German places become even more attractive -- good bread and butter, weiners and a liter of cold Jever on the sidewalk of Laschet's -- or even better, Resi's biergarten -- is one of my favorite things about summer in the old German quarter of Chicago.

NB: Laschet's usually has both a thick, hearty goulash entree and a somewhat more delicate (but still very rich and substantial) goulash "soup." I much prefer the latter. Get a plate of spaetzle on the side.
  • Post #101 - February 21st, 2012, 5:23 pm
    Post #101 - February 21st, 2012, 5:23 pm Post #101 - February 21st, 2012, 5:23 pm
    Ate at Laschet's on Sunday night. Fried smelt appetizer had a very nice crunch. I think it may have been the best smelt I've had. Liver dumpling soup had a surprisingly sophisticated broth and a very nicely textured dumpling. Spaetzle and red cabbage, as expected, were as good as they can possibly be done. Goulash could have used more spice for my taste. My wife had the mushroom Goulash which was wonderful and on that night much better than the meat Goulash. Service, for some reason, was a bit distracted, frazzled and slow. I give them a pass as it can occasionally happen. We resolved to get here more often as we enjoyed it so much.

My favorite memory of this place dates back to the mid-eighties when we walked in to find the place full of white uniformed German sailors. Two deep at the bar, they were passing one of those large glass boots - only this one was filled with a mixture of the hard stuff rather than beer. It got loud. They were on shore leave off a German naval vessel that had called at Navy Pier.
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #102 - February 21st, 2012, 9:45 pm
    Post #102 - February 21st, 2012, 9:45 pm Post #102 - February 21st, 2012, 9:45 pm
    I found the smelt to be just average at Laschett's, but had some excellent smelt at Sun Wah BBQ a few months ago. With that said, Laschett's is one of my favorite places to go in all of Chicago. Man I love that place.
  • Post #103 - February 22nd, 2012, 12:29 pm
    Post #103 - February 22nd, 2012, 12:29 pm Post #103 - February 22nd, 2012, 12:29 pm
    I wouldn't have thought to order Smelt at Sun Wah. Have to give it a try.
  • Post #104 - October 29th, 2012, 8:55 am
    Post #104 - October 29th, 2012, 8:55 am Post #104 - October 29th, 2012, 8:55 am
    We had a very good dinner at Laschet’s on Saturday night with my brother and SIL. We grew up with quite a bit of German food, so it was a treat for my brother especially. We were very happy with the pristine hackepeter and the nicely seasoned creamed herring (although I found the fish a tiny bit mushy) for apps. My SIL, the vegetarian in the group, ordered jalapeno poppers, which were competently fried and tasty. The goulash soup my bro ordered was savory, and the soup of the day, tomato rice, was thick with a bit of a peppery kick—I liked it.

Cabbagehead’s pork shank, pictured upthread, was gigantic. He was the only one at the table to finish his meal, but I must report that despite an after-dinner coffee, that dish plus an Oktoberfest beer put him out like a light once we got home. I enjoyed my sauerbraten, but mainly for the outstanding spaetzle and red cabbage. The spaetzle were a bit browned and crispy with just the right amount of chew, and their Rotkohl is the best around. The meat, underneath good gravy, was rather dry. I didn’t taste the other entrees, but bro enjoyed his rouladen and SIL her mushroom goulash. Portions are really generous—all three of us took leftovers home. Desserts were a warm, flaky, and tender apple strudel mit Schlag, natürlich, which was excellent, and a decent “Frankfurt” cake, a layer cake with hazelnut buttercream and a thin ganache filling.

I hadn’t been to Laschet’s in years—not since city restaurants went non-smoking—and the atmosphere was as crowded and jolly as I remember but better without the smoke. Groups of friends, Halloween-costumed groups, and even a couple with a baby were all enjoying good beer, shots, and hearty, tasty food (well, baby skipped the shot and beer). We had a good time.
    Last edited by EvA on October 29th, 2012, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #105 - October 29th, 2012, 12:25 pm
    Post #105 - October 29th, 2012, 12:25 pm Post #105 - October 29th, 2012, 12:25 pm
    Thanks for bumping the thread -- I was going to have to dig it out from the depths to post about the 32nd Dessert Exchange group's experience.

TL;DR* version: Food's great, don't expect snappy service when there's a football crowd.

We showed up at 4, the place was relatively empty. By 6, it was full of post-game Bears fans, watching the next game on the tube. We had a lot of attention when we got there up until we placed our orders, but it took forever to get the check, and there were long gaps between apps and entrees that might have been unacceptable if it weren't for the conversations and company -- we were certainly not in a hurry, but a couple folks had to re-feed the parking pylon, having not anticipated a three-hour early dinner.

We weren't especially adventurous in appetizers: Hot sausage plate (brat, knock and thuringer), potato pancakes (large-diameter, crisp, I liked 'em a lot, and liver pate (middling, it certainly won't replace Kaufmann's).

Sausage Platter

Potato Pancakes

Liver Pate

Strangely, only five entrees were ordered: Two Mushroom Goulash, Two Roast Duck (Sunday daily special), Two Leberkase**, a Roast Pork Loin and a Viener Schnitzel. The red cabbage was very sweet, someone suggested that it probably has a lot of apple. Spaetzle were nicely browned from post-boil sautee. Portions are generous, I think almost everyone took something home, aside from the desserts.

Overall, nice traditional German food: hearty and tasty.

Roast duck with stuffing, potatoes, red cabbage and orange sauce

Lousy photo of Viener Schnitzel

Mushroom Goulash, with spaetzle, red cabbage

Roast Pork Loin, spaetzle, red cabbage

(Sorry, no pic of the leberkase, they were on the far end of the table and I couldn't get a clear shot. Forgot the sniperscope for the phone. It was served with a fried egg which looked lacy-crisp edged, and of course red cabbage. The report was that was a lot like a ham loaf, or I'm guessing scrapple.)

* Too long, didn't read
    ** Having neither liver nor cheese, leberkase should probably be accompanied by an egg cream, but they don't serve that at Laschet's
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #106 - October 29th, 2012, 12:36 pm
    Post #106 - October 29th, 2012, 12:36 pm Post #106 - October 29th, 2012, 12:36 pm
    Just as an aside, if ever eating at Laschets, you can park in the Lincoln Park Savings Bank lot anytime after normal bank hours without issues. We live close enough to walk but have heard wait staff informing customers numerous times of this fact.

Bank is just North of the restaurant, same side of the street at 2139 W Irving Park.
  • Post #107 - October 29th, 2012, 1:51 pm
    Post #107 - October 29th, 2012, 1:51 pm Post #107 - October 29th, 2012, 1:51 pm
    Thanks for the post. I continue to be a big fan of Laschet's, and they seem to be doing pretty well because there's usually a good crowd there. But you should go in knowing that service will always be leisurely (not inattentive). I've always told that to people when recommending (or taking people to) Laschet's, because I know many go in expecting it to be a quick meal. But one of the things I love about the place is knowing that I can bring a group of friends or family there, hang out for a couple or a few hours laughing and enjoying ourselves, and not have even the slightest suggestion that we've been at the table too long.
  • Post #108 - October 31st, 2012, 3:40 pm
    Post #108 - October 31st, 2012, 3:40 pm Post #108 - October 31st, 2012, 3:40 pm
    smokinjoe wrote:Bank is just North of the restaurant, same side of the street at 2139 W Irving Park.

Not to pick a nit or anything, but I'm pretty sure that you meant just west of the restaurant.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #109 - December 27th, 2012, 1:37 pm
    Post #109 - December 27th, 2012, 1:37 pm Post #109 - December 27th, 2012, 1:37 pm
    Yes, Laschet's works on several levels. This is what I had the last time there. I am sure somebody here can tell me what it is. (I have forgotten.) :?:
    Image Image
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #110 - December 27th, 2012, 2:24 pm
    Post #110 - December 27th, 2012, 2:24 pm Post #110 - December 27th, 2012, 2:24 pm
    pudgym29 wrote: Yes, Laschet's works on several levels. This is what I had the last time there. I am sure somebody here can tell me what it is. (I have forgotten.) :?:
    Image Image

From here, it looks like it might be wiener schnitzel a la holstein. Or is that a kassler rib?

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #111 - December 27th, 2012, 3:00 pm
    Post #111 - December 27th, 2012, 3:00 pm Post #111 - December 27th, 2012, 3:00 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    pudgym29 wrote: Yes, Laschet's works on several levels. This is what I had the last time there. I am sure somebody here can tell me what it is. (I have forgotten.) :?:
    Image Image

From here, it looks like it might be wiener schnitzel a la holstein. Or is that a kassler rib?

My money's on Leberkäse. It doesn't look breaded like a Schnitzel, and Laschet's doesn't routinely top their Kassler Rippchen with a fried egg.
  • Post #112 - December 27th, 2012, 3:43 pm
    Post #112 - December 27th, 2012, 3:43 pm Post #112 - December 27th, 2012, 3:43 pm
    Rene G wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Image Image

My money's on Leberkäse. It doesn't look breaded like a Schnitzel, and Laschet's doesn't routinely top their Kassler Rippchen with a fried egg.

Of course. I couldn't tell if it was breaded or cured, which is what threw me off.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #113 - December 28th, 2012, 8:32 am
    Post #113 - December 28th, 2012, 8:32 am Post #113 - December 28th, 2012, 8:32 am
    By the way, it finally (after years) just occurred to me to wonder what this thread's title means. I found a German to English translator site on the web which proved unhelpful (answer: And The Ostpreußischer Barenfang). As a Laschet's fan, I'm curious.
  • Post #114 - December 28th, 2012, 9:03 am
    Post #114 - December 28th, 2012, 9:03 am Post #114 - December 28th, 2012, 9:03 am
    Ostpreußischer--East Prussian; that funny looking Beta thing is a double S. And Bärenfang refers to this, methinks, one of many fine german liqueurs available at Laschet's (and an East Prussian one, as the wiki page states).
  • Post #115 - December 28th, 2012, 9:08 am
    Post #115 - December 28th, 2012, 9:08 am Post #115 - December 28th, 2012, 9:08 am
    Thanks, mtgl.
  • Post #116 - December 28th, 2012, 9:34 am
    Post #116 - December 28th, 2012, 9:34 am Post #116 - December 28th, 2012, 9:34 am
    Bing Translator gave me this...

Laschet's and Kursian bear trap

:)
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #117 - December 28th, 2012, 8:15 pm
    Post #117 - December 28th, 2012, 8:15 pm Post #117 - December 28th, 2012, 8:15 pm
    The ß character is called an 'Eszett.' Interestingly, it's not universally used in all German-speaking countries, the most notable exception being Switzerland.
  • Post #118 - February 17th, 2014, 10:28 am
    Post #118 - February 17th, 2014, 10:28 am Post #118 - February 17th, 2014, 10:28 am
    We were at Laschet's last night. What a wonderful and relaxing place to spend a winter evening. Of possible note, they have a brew from the Andechs Abbey outside of Munich on tap. According to our waitress, this is a fairly unusual beer to have available in the US - so I pass it along for any aficionados who may not already be aware.
  • Post #119 - February 17th, 2014, 1:12 pm
    Post #119 - February 17th, 2014, 1:12 pm Post #119 - February 17th, 2014, 1:12 pm
    bw77 wrote: Of possible note, they have a brew from the Andechs Abbey outside of Munich on tap.

Andechs makes a number of beers. Do you, by any chance, remember which one they have?
  • Post #120 - February 17th, 2014, 2:21 pm
    Post #120 - February 17th, 2014, 2:21 pm Post #120 - February 17th, 2014, 2:21 pm
    I believe it was Andechser Vollbier Hell (but I think it was listed on the menu as a Pilsener - is that possible?). I went on their Facebook page to try to confirm the name and noticed that they also have Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel on tap and they are saying that is a first in the US.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more