Going to Boston next week for the first time and have been researching food all day.
This is the plan:
Monday - Daily Catch in the NE followed by some Modern Pastry if still opened
Tue - Erbaluce
Wed - Muqueca
As well, if I can swing Mike & Patty's for breakfast on Wednesday, as that breakfast torta looks really good to me.
Anyone have any updates on Boston recently? Anything to definitely stay away from as that is more fun sometimes then what should I eat.
I usually advise visitors to stay away from the North End, but looks like you may have already gone there last night.
You've picked two of my very favourite places, The Erb and Moqueca
Some comments with respect to dining at Erbaluce which may or may not be relevant or useful to you:
- Chef Draghi is nutso about not using animal fats as mentioned above. I kind of agree with him that excessive misuse of butter in restaurants can mask and muddy the otherwise natural flavour of foods. You'll taste sometimes bitter, floral, pungent, or other notes that you may or may not like or which may or may not be in a familiar context for you.
- The pastas are fine, quite good even, but happen to be what I order least. Many others agree that it's not worth stuffing yourself full of pasta here.
- There is a bar menu that often has several interesting dishes not available on the regular menu. I exclusively sit at the bar for this very reason - that bar menu will satisfy me alone just about everytime.
- Take advantage of the wine list, which is specactular, and Joan (FOH) along with CHef can guide you to some very interesting pairings sure to elevate the meal.
- I think he's got a stash of some mighty fine white alba truffles right now.
- I hope you enjoy your meal.