LTH Home

"Nicer" burger/beer/whiskey joint on the northside?

"Nicer" burger/beer/whiskey joint on the northside?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • "Nicer" burger/beer/whiskey joint on the northside?

    Post #1 - December 16th, 2011, 11:01 am
    Post #1 - December 16th, 2011, 11:01 am Post #1 - December 16th, 2011, 11:01 am
    Can anyone recommend a nice, "upscale" bar (similar to Gilt, or The Gage, or even Sable) that serves a really good, hearty burger (something thick & beefy that I can order medium rare), has a decent bourbon and/or scotch selection, and some nice beers, and is located in Loop, Gold Coast, River North, Lincoln Park, or Lakeview? West Loop would be fine as well.

    I'm supposed to choose a venue this evening for dinner & drinks with a buddy who can be a bit of a pain in the butt when it comes to leaving his comfort zone (hence the neighborhoods I'd like to stay within), and I'm completely drawing a blank...plus I'm out of the loop these days when it comes to places to go.

    All suggestions are greatly appreciated!
  • Post #2 - December 16th, 2011, 11:11 am
    Post #2 - December 16th, 2011, 11:11 am Post #2 - December 16th, 2011, 11:11 am
    Perhap Owen and Engine.

    Fantastic burger and the best cask pours in the city to go along with a decent whisky selection.
  • Post #3 - December 16th, 2011, 11:37 am
    Post #3 - December 16th, 2011, 11:37 am Post #3 - December 16th, 2011, 11:37 am
    turkob wrote:Perhap Owen and Engine.

    Fantastic burger and the best cask pours in the city to go along with a decent whisky selection.

    I fear that Owen & Engine would be out of this buddy's "comfort zone" since it's in Logan Square. I have coworkers who live in Lincoln Park who have never been to Logan Square and act is if they've never heard of it. Shame. Owen & Engine is fantastic. </rant>
  • Post #4 - December 16th, 2011, 11:41 am
    Post #4 - December 16th, 2011, 11:41 am Post #4 - December 16th, 2011, 11:41 am
    It's a half mile from the border of Lincoln Park and across the street from a huge movie theater. Close enough?
  • Post #5 - December 16th, 2011, 11:45 am
    Post #5 - December 16th, 2011, 11:45 am Post #5 - December 16th, 2011, 11:45 am
    Or Fountainhead... but that's similarly outside of the proscribed "comfort zone". Would the Paramount Room be considered too casual? The beer/whiskey lists aren't terrible though hardly the selection available elsewhere.

    Fountainhead
    1970 W. Montrose Ave.
    http://fountainheadchicago.com/
    best,
    dan
  • Post #6 - December 16th, 2011, 11:48 am
    Post #6 - December 16th, 2011, 11:48 am Post #6 - December 16th, 2011, 11:48 am
    I'd go with Paramount Room. Should be right in Mr. Fusspot's wheelhouse.

    Paramount Room
    415 N Milwaukee Ave
    Chicago, IL
    312 829 6300
    Last edited by sundevilpeg on December 16th, 2011, 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #7 - December 16th, 2011, 11:49 am
    Post #7 - December 16th, 2011, 11:49 am Post #7 - December 16th, 2011, 11:49 am
    What about Duke of Perth? They have tasty food and a HUGE whiskey list.
    http://www.dukeofperth.com/malt.htm
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
    In the world of apples, Pink Lady runs the whorehouse. ~ James Napoli

    Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #8 - December 16th, 2011, 12:52 pm
    Post #8 - December 16th, 2011, 12:52 pm Post #8 - December 16th, 2011, 12:52 pm
    Your instincts so far are correct: to get him to Montrose & California would require a lot of "convincing" (by which I mean outright "kidnapping"). Even Western & Diversey will be tough, but I'm going to throw Owen & Engine out there and see what he says.

    How is Paramount Room these days? I haven't been in well over a year, when I had a string of overcooked burgers and less-than-pleasant service that turned me off to the place.

    Many thanks for your ongoing suggestions!
  • Post #9 - December 16th, 2011, 1:00 pm
    Post #9 - December 16th, 2011, 1:00 pm Post #9 - December 16th, 2011, 1:00 pm
    Khaopaat wrote:Can anyone recommend a nice, "upscale" bar (similar to Gilt, or The Gage, or even Sable) that serves a really good, hearty burger (something thick & beefy that I can order medium rare), has a decent bourbon and/or scotch selection, and some nice beers, and is located in Loop, Gold Coast, River North, Lincoln Park, or Lakeview? West Loop would be fine as well.

    I'm supposed to choose a venue this evening for dinner & drinks with a buddy who can be a bit of a pain in the butt when it comes to leaving his comfort zone (hence the neighborhoods I'd like to stay within), and I'm completely drawing a blank...plus I'm out of the loop these days when it comes to places to go.

    All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

    When we want upscale burgers & good bar options we usually do Smith & Wollensky (I like the wine by the glass list there, but they aren't short on other options) or the bar at David Burke - they have a solid single malt selection.

    https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... r_Menu.pdf

    https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... d-Menu.pdf

    https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... l-Menu.pdf
  • Post #10 - December 16th, 2011, 1:03 pm
    Post #10 - December 16th, 2011, 1:03 pm Post #10 - December 16th, 2011, 1:03 pm
    How about 25 Degrees? It's in the comfort zone, they do good burgers, I'm not sure about the beer list. I haven't been to the Chicago location yet, but I liked the LA one.


    25 Degrees
    736 North Clark Street
    Chicago, Illinois 60654
    (312) 943-9700
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #11 - December 16th, 2011, 1:11 pm
    Post #11 - December 16th, 2011, 1:11 pm Post #11 - December 16th, 2011, 1:11 pm
    Khaopaat, if it helps with convincing for a different time, Owen and Engine have a special Tuesday "Burger, Beer, and Bourbon" special for $15. Just thought I'd throw that out there since this seems to be exactly what you are looking for, though not in the right neighborhood.

    Love,
    John
    It isn't that I'm not full...
  • Post #12 - December 16th, 2011, 1:12 pm
    Post #12 - December 16th, 2011, 1:12 pm Post #12 - December 16th, 2011, 1:12 pm
    The bar at one sixtyblue has really good burgers and they are only $5 on Thursdays

    one sixtyblue
    400 W Randolph St
    http://www.onesixtyblue.com
    When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!
  • Post #13 - December 16th, 2011, 1:33 pm
    Post #13 - December 16th, 2011, 1:33 pm Post #13 - December 16th, 2011, 1:33 pm
    I would also say Owen and Engine.

    While my initial (and sarcastic) recommendation was going to be "get new friends", the more I thought about it, the more I realized that some of my friends are just like this :(
  • Post #14 - December 16th, 2011, 2:15 pm
    Post #14 - December 16th, 2011, 2:15 pm Post #14 - December 16th, 2011, 2:15 pm
    Longman & Eagle

    West Town Tavern

    DMK Burger Bar
  • Post #15 - December 16th, 2011, 3:00 pm
    Post #15 - December 16th, 2011, 3:00 pm Post #15 - December 16th, 2011, 3:00 pm
    No idea about the whiskey selection but the burger and beers at Bad Apple would meet the requirements--not sure about the geography issue since, technically this is a bit north of the Lakeview/LP border :D
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #16 - December 16th, 2011, 4:22 pm
    Post #16 - December 16th, 2011, 4:22 pm Post #16 - December 16th, 2011, 4:22 pm
    Who woulda thunk it, he's game for Owen & Engine.

    I'll keep West Town Tavern & 25 Degrees in my back pocket for next time.

    Thanks for all the help!
  • Post #17 - December 19th, 2011, 10:25 am
    Post #17 - December 19th, 2011, 10:25 am Post #17 - December 19th, 2011, 10:25 am
    Owen & Engine was such a hit in every regard, that my friend actually commented that we should go back there next time we hang out. I posted more in the Owen & Engine thread.

    Thanks again for the great advice!
  • Post #18 - December 21st, 2011, 5:50 pm
    Post #18 - December 21st, 2011, 5:50 pm Post #18 - December 21st, 2011, 5:50 pm
    Khaopaat wrote:Owen & Engine was such a hit in every regard, that my friend actually commented that we should go back there next time we hang out. I posted more in the Owen & Engine thread.

    Thanks again for the great advice!

    It's a Christmas miracle! So glad he went for it! I mean, if people don't want to stretch beyond the borders of the Gold Coast, I don't really care, but they shouldn't drag their friends down with them. I've been seriously craving their burger lately. Friends coming in town this week and hoping I can convince everyone to meet there for dinner an drinks.
  • Post #19 - December 22nd, 2011, 10:44 am
    Post #19 - December 22nd, 2011, 10:44 am Post #19 - December 22nd, 2011, 10:44 am
    Pie Lady wrote:What about Duke of Perth? They have tasty food and a HUGE whiskey list.
    http://www.dukeofperth.com/malt.htm


    Duke of Perth has one of the better burgers in the city and a GREAT bar. Pours on the scotches are a little weak for the price, but they are some fine distillates in there.
    trpt2345
  • Post #20 - December 22nd, 2011, 10:50 am
    Post #20 - December 22nd, 2011, 10:50 am Post #20 - December 22nd, 2011, 10:50 am
    trpt2345 wrote:
    Pie Lady wrote:What about Duke of Perth? They have tasty food and a HUGE whiskey list.
    http://www.dukeofperth.com/malt.htm


    Duke of Perth has one of the better burgers in the city and a GREAT bar. Pours on the scotches are a little weak for the price, but they are some fine distillates in there.

    I've only been there once, and had the fish & chips (which I enjoyed)...but now that I live just a few blocks away from it, I'll have to give the burger there a shot.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more