LTHForum Trip to Peru

Posted May 8th 2012, 7:12pm
exvaxman wrote:My father before he passed away was thrilled with the Dunkin Donuts expansion into my area - that and finding their coffee at Costco before they expanded into our area.
Dad always claimed that he helped found the chain - and remained loyal to it.

I had a cuisinart grind & brew that I had to set up every night for him at his assisted living place with Dunkins.. (We moved him here when it got too difficult for him at home).

I find this quite touching. I am no fan of DD, coffee or donuts-wise but my mother was. She recently passed away but for almost thrity years tehre was only one place she would have coffee and donuts.
Posted June 1st 2012, 3:36pm
I really love the Sumatra blend from Costco. It has a bold flavor with no harshness at all, smooth, rich, and almost chocolatey.
Posted June 7th 2012, 11:41am
Donut House K cups.

For me they are the closest to DD coffee.

I get a case of 80 at Costco for $37.99..comes to like .47 a cup

Once in awhile I will do a Green Mountain Kona blend as well
Posted June 7th 2012, 4:52pm
I've found Kona Coffee's always more bitter than I expect it to be, and it just doesn't taste very good. There's those special Star Wars packages of coffee that I've tried, I like those a lot. Just nothing too dark. If you're in Southern California ever you oughta find Undergrounds Coffee, they've got some amazing drinks there.

Visit Dandelion tea or Visit Dong Quai Tea or Visit Elderberry Tea or Visit Eucalyptus Tea for health benefits of herbal tea and how to make teas
Posted June 15th 2012, 12:42pm
I discovered last night that Mariano's in Roscoe Village is selling several varieties of Milwaukee's Alterra for around $8 for a 12-ounce bag. I tried the African Safari Blend, and it's bright and complex.
Posted July 26th 2012, 4:47am
picked up some MARGARITAVILLE sunrise in paradise.
not to bad,in fact its good. might try other ones they offer :mrgreen:

philw bbq cbj for kcbs &M.I.M. carolina pit masters
Posted August 26th 2012, 12:57pm
My friend has a Colombian girlfriend and they visit Colombia about once a year. They bring back great coffee for me every time. There isn't a brand name because its ground and packaged straight at the coffee house.
Posted September 20th 2012, 7:44am
i have the coffee from col. as well it is one of the best

Posted October 27th 2012, 11:40am
i love illy and will buy it if i find it on a deep discount....

usually, i get stuff from trader joe's (i think chicago has a couple of stores) and i really like the peaberry blends

if i'm in a bind with no time for TJ's (it's 12 miles away), it may be something from costco

sometimes, during the holidays, i'll order a treat....that means beans from espresso vivace out of seattle.... great stuff

the most important component is the automatic espresso machine.... i love fresh coffee at the push of a button!

=]
Posted January 11th 2013, 7:06pm
just got a pound of
LA COLOMBE papua new guinea, med. roast
very smooth ,very good
:mrgreen:

Posted April 14th 2013, 7:17am
picked up some PEET'S major dickason deep roast
i would buy again :mrgreen:

Posted September 21st 2013, 5:45pm
For cost reasons, I simply don't do the super-premium roasts available, so can't comment. My everyday preference is Vienna Roast or Dave's Blend from Coffee and Tea Exchange on Broadway. I used to cast a gimlet eye over those barrels with the lids askew letting air in all day, but my taste buds have always been happy. For a silky smooth super-dark roast, I've enjoyed Caribou's Obsidian roast. I'm not a big Starbuck's fan, but like their Sulawesi as well.
I did try several different roasts from the small roaster/cafe out on Irving Park near Ashland (?), (suddenly the name escapes me), but I liked them a great deal.

"Strange how potent cheap music is."
Posted September 22nd 2013, 9:46pm
mrbarolo wrote:I did try several different roasts from the small roaster/cafe out on Irving Park near Ashland (?), (suddenly the name escapes me), but I liked them a great deal.

http://www.asadocoffee.com/

"Health food may be good for the conscience but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better." -- Robert Redford, actor/director
Posted October 28th 2013, 2:54pm
Does anyone have suggestions of where I can find real, excellent Kona coffee (whole bean)?

I generally don't make coffee at home but rather get one cup a day when I'm out, so I'm not really up on where to go to get bags of whole beans.

It is my dad's birthday, and after getting him hooked on Intelligentsia El Diablo and Metrolpolis Spice Island, he is eager to try some Kona. But talking with some friends, it sounds like there are a variety of sources/plantations where it is grown, and not all are created equal.

Any roasters in town you know that frequently have Kona, that'd I'd be able to hit up for additional info and to hopefully secure some high quality beans for my dad's birthday in a couple weeks?

Posted October 28th 2013, 4:51pm
I would get it from a mail order place, such as Paradise Roasters. See http://www.paradiseroasters.com/hawaii-kau-isla/

See this site for other options: http://www.coffeereview.com/allreviews.cfm?find=kona

The added shipping is minimal and you know you'll be getting a very good version.
Posted October 29th 2013, 11:02am
Not a big Kona fan, but the Starbucks at Division and Ashland has a Clover and the Mauna Loa-grown reserve that is quite close, in terms of geography, terroir and taste. There's also the sorta dumb Hawaiian chain, Kick Ass Coffee, with a franchise location on Southport between Addison and Irving. I believe they have 100% Kona and Kona blends, always. Maybe they would sell you some green beans to have roasted elsewhere.

Posted October 29th 2013, 11:27am
DClose wrote:Does anyone have suggestions of where I can find real, excellent Kona coffee (whole bean)?

I generally don't make coffee at home but rather get one cup a day when I'm out, so I'm not really up on where to go to get bags of whole beans.

It is my dad's birthday, and after getting him hooked on Intelligentsia El Diablo and Metrolpolis Spice Island, he is eager to try some Kona. But talking with some friends, it sounds like there are a variety of sources/plantations where it is grown, and not all are created equal.

Any roasters in town you know that frequently have Kona, that'd I'd be able to hit up for additional info and to hopefully secure some high quality beans for my dad's birthday in a couple weeks?

You might try calling the Coffee and Tea Exchange.
3311 N Broadway St Chicago, IL 60657
(773) 528-2241

-Mary
Posted October 29th 2013, 9:10pm
DNA Info reported yesterday that Bad Ass Coffee on Southport has closed. The description sounds very much like what JeffB was referring to.
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20131028 ... ort-closes
Posted October 30th 2013, 7:41am
Not sure if you can buy it anyplace direct in Chicago but my go to is MADCAP. We're lucky enough to have a store front here in Grand Rapids but you can get it via the web at http://madcapcoffee.com. I usually pickup some Columbian and then mix it up with some other beans I've not tried, a special they have that day, or a blend they have on hand. They are sold at Martha's Vineyard (https://www.mvwines.com) retail here as well so they may be available at stores there as well.

BTW - I highly recommend MV if you are passing through.
Posted November 4th 2013, 8:47pm
Having been to Dillman's three times, I really enjoyed on each visit multiple cups of their house coffee supplied by Bow Truss Coffee Roasters (Chicago, IL) along with some sensational desserts.

Being highly inspired, I decided over the last few days to visit both Bow Truss locations at 2934 N. Broadway and 406 N. Wells, having two great pour overs - An Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and some sort of Colombian expression. Boy, these guys know how to roast and procure a good bean! Bow Truss's coffee oozes with nuance being subtle yet complex at the same time.

Don't let their industrial hipster vibe deter you. The servers couldn't have been nicer on either of my store visits.
Posted December 12th 2013, 6:15am
trying gevalia kaffe this morn.
smell great

Posted December 12th 2013, 1:52pm
Those who know Blue Bottle coffee in San Francisco probably would say there's no better. Wood-Fire Roasted Coffee opened in Reno sometime in the last year(I believe) and I think they are as good or better. The founder had been in the business for years before opening his own place. Tim Curry sources the best beans available worldwide and roasts them in-house. A good way to start is to order a sampler pack of 4 coffees which includes the Tanzanian Peaberry and Ethiopian, my personal favorites. I also enjoy the Cowboy Roast. The coffee is a bit more expensive, especially because of shipping, but well worth it. My next door neighbor was a Blue Bottle junkie until he tried Wood-Fire Coffees.

http://woodfireroasted.com/

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Frank Sinatra
Posted December 12th 2013, 2:06pm
two new mail-order faves:

Anodyne Coffee Roasting out of Milwaukee and Buddy Brew Coffee in Tampa. Both are about the same price for whole bean 1lb packages and shipping--ends up being about $20--and both offer some really interesting, satisfying single estate and blends. Both also have a couple of café locations in their cities if you're ever looking for a good spot to grab a cup and want to avoid the big green monster :)

Anodyne:
WALKER'S POINT ROASTERY
224 W. Bruce Street, Milwaukee, WI 53204
questions@anodynecoffee.com | 414.276.8081

BAY VIEW CAFE
2920 S. Kinnickinnic, Milwaukee, WI 53207
questions@anodynecoffee.com | 414.489.0765

BUDDY BREW COFFEE
(813) 258-brew
info@buddybrew.com

the roastery and coffee bar
2020 w kennedy blvd.
tampa, fl 33606
813.258.2739 (BREW)
mon – sat: 7a-5p
sunday: 8a-4p

buddy brew coffee bar at oxford exchange
420 w kennedy blvd
tampa, fl 33606
813.253.0222 *7
mon – sat: 7:30a-5:30p
sunday: 9:00a-5:30p
whol

"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
Posted December 12th 2013, 4:03pm
My Brother-in-Law's company is doing some coffee importing and roasting. Right now they only have one blend/roast, but it's really good.

Corsa Wines and coffee
http://www.corsawine.org

Leek
SAVING ONE DOG MAY NOT CHANGE THE WORLD, BUT IT CHANGES THE WORLD FOR THAT ONE DOG.
American Brittany Rescuealways needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog.
Deep Dish Pizza

Online Information