LTH Home

Joys at Aldi

Joys at Aldi
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Joys at Aldi

Post #1 - August 25th, 2005, 7:47 am
    Post #1 - August 25th, 2005, 7:47 am Post #1 - August 25th, 2005, 7:47 am
    Hi everyone.

A few dollars short and a desperate for food after a 2 week hiatus from the area, I found myself at Aldi.

Yes, their stock is inconsistent. One never knows....

I found:

a high quality thick cut bacon

a German proscuitto(?) available in two forms: diced and thinly sliced. Mr. Food Nut, of German descent, when questioned about German proscuitto stated, "We know our ham." Tasted fine in the pasta salad.

comparable pantry items: pickled pepper rings(a favorite sandwich topper), relatively low-fat Mr. Pudding chocolate prepared pudding(nice and chocolately) with label stating "made with real non-fat milk", dill pickle slices.

barely ripe mangoes

and several other items I won't bore you with. Regardless, and of no surprise, these fine products were at least .50 the cost at other local retail outlets.

Next time I probably won't be so lucky.

You need some bags or score some boxes inside and a quarter for a cart, but you'll get it back if you don't give it to a possible beggar. When asked if he would like some yogurt, the beggar stated, "No, thank you."

Aldi
    1 block north on Milwaukee at Pulaski and multiple locations in 16 countries.

Find weekly US specials at:
    http://aldi.us/
    Reading is a right. Censorship is not.
  • Post #2 - August 25th, 2005, 9:11 am
    Post #2 - August 25th, 2005, 9:11 am Post #2 - August 25th, 2005, 9:11 am
    Aldi's is a working man's Trader Joes'. In fact they are owned by the same German company. They are both limited SKU and mostly private label foods. Aldi's stocks name brands only when they can get a cheap deal. And when the deal goes away, so does the item.

The quality of the merchandise is middle of the road. It is not the greatest but usually of pretty acceptable quality. I guy a lot of staples there (although I prefer Meijer's sales for them) and they represent a good value.

Service is absolutely miserable. They have 3-4 employees and often the lines are legendary. The line moves quickly. The cashiers are at best, not very friendly.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more