Chefs

Posted January 10th 2012, 1:05am
I'm afraid I can't add much in the way of food specifics, but I did have dim sum at Shui Wah last month, and even though our visit began with a line jammed at the front entrance, it moved quickly. We had excellent service from initial set-ups to ordering to busing throughout the meal. Everything seemed fresh and good. And the final tally was astonishingly low. I look forward to returning.
Haven't been to Phoenix in over a year. My memory of the last visit is that it was unexceptional. Food was decent. Service was OK. Sometimes the carts were hard to come by or there was longish gaps between visits to our table. But nothing to raise the blood-pressure. Still, I actively look forward to my next Shui Wah visit.

"Strange how potent cheap music is."

Posted August 1st 2012, 9:23pm
Say it 'aint so - Tried to go to Shui Wah today for dim sum, and found the place dark, locked, closed . . . on a day and at an hour when they should have been open. A gentleman came out of a business a couple of doors down and told me they are closed permanently, but he didn't speak very good English and I certainly can't verify. Does anyone know what's going on? As much as I love cart service, Shui Wah is my favorite spot for dim sum in Chicago. Well, Hong Min used to be my favorite and we all know how that story ended.

So I'd appreciate any intel here. And if I find anything further, I'll follow up.
Posted August 1st 2012, 10:01pm
BR wrote:Say it 'aint so - Tried to go to Shui Wah today for dim sum, and found the place dark, locked, closed . . . on a day and at an hour when they should have been open. A gentleman came out of a business a couple of doors down and told me they are closed permanently, but he didn't speak very good English and I certainly can't verify. Does anyone know what's going on? As much as I love cart service, Shui Wah is my favorite spot for dim sum in Chicago. Well, Hong Min used to be my favorite and we all know how that story ended.

So I'd appreciate any intel here. And if I find anything further, I'll follow up.

I was there on Saturday and it was business as usual. No one mentioned a closing and I didn't see any signs. It was my first time going there and I hope it hasn't closed since it was amazing.

Posted August 2nd 2012, 4:53pm
I'm late in posting, but their last day was Monday, July 30. I happened to be there on Monday and I was told the owner is retiring, I was then introduced to a woman who came out of the kitchen who looked like she was doing the cooking and she said she was the retiree. They were having a party to celebrate later and we were given extra treats for being loyal customers. This was my favorite place for dim sum and I'm bereft. Happy Chef is also gone so I guess that leaves Cai or Phoenix. I'm really sad we lost this place.

For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"

Site Admin
Posted August 2nd 2012, 4:57pm
mbh wrote:I'm late in posting, but their last day was Monday, July 30. I happened to be there on Monday and I was told the owner is retiring, I was then introduced to a woman who came out of the kitchen who looked like she was doing the cooking and she said she was the retiree. They were having a party to celebrate later and we were given extra treats for being loyal customers. This was my favorite place for dim sum and I'm bereft. Happy Chef is also gone so I guess that leaves Cai or Phoenix. I'm really sad we lost this place.

That is sad, sad news. I had some dim sum at Ming Hin a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty good, but not nearly as good as what we will no longer be able to get at Shui Wah.

Steve Z.

"Why should I eat a carrot when I can eat pizza?" - Dan Janssen

Posted August 2nd 2012, 5:50pm
My fears realized! Well, at least we now know. I was at Triple Crown this past Sunday, and it was fine but I think they offer less interesting fare. I'd say that depending upon the day, either Phoenix, Cai or Triple Crown will fit the bill but none are consistently solid in my opinion (and with Cai perhaps offering the least ordinary fare of the three).

In any event, another sad loss to Chinatown, which I hope is not becoming simply "Lao" Chinatown. RIP Shui Wah. :(
Posted August 2nd 2012, 10:37pm
BR wrote:In any event, another sad loss to Chinatown, which I hope is not becoming simply "Lao" Chinatown. RIP Shui Wah. :(

Lao Dim Sum?
Posted August 3rd 2012, 9:04am
mbh wrote:I'm late in posting, but their last day was Monday, July 30.

Sad, but now I know why I was standing outside of a darkened shop on Tuesday morning...Shui wah wasn't a frequent dim sum stop for me, but it was one of few that would be open at 8 am on weekdays, and for that it will be missed. I was forced a few doors down to Ming Hin, which was mediocre at best.
Posted August 3rd 2012, 9:15am
fropones wrote:
BR wrote:In any event, another sad loss to Chinatown, which I hope is not becoming simply "Lao" Chinatown. RIP Shui Wah. :(

Lao Dim Sum?

The word is that they are looking for someone to rent the space from them. There is also talk about Ming Hin expanding and taking over the space. Like they did with Happy Chef.
Posted August 3rd 2012, 11:28am
My son and I were getting takeout from Lao Szhe Chaun a week ago and on the walk through the mall I didn't see Shui Wah. Great Dim Sum early in the morning!
Now I know why?-Dick

Posted August 3rd 2012, 11:31am
budrichard wrote:My son and I were getting takeout from Lao Szhe Chaun a week ago and on the walk through the mall I didn't see Shui Wah. Great Dim Sum early in the morning!
Now I know why?-Dick

It's still there, just not open . . . same side of the mall as Lao Sze Chuan.
Posted August 3rd 2012, 7:14pm
We had lunch at Shui Wah Friday of last week, and Donna, who never wants any of the turnip cake, decided to try it and commented on how nice the crisp crust was. I was recently turned on to their water chestnut cake and wish I had ordered it one last time.

“Is salami and eggs better than sex?" Alan King
Posted August 3rd 2012, 8:40pm
MMMMM. Waterchestnut cake w/chili oil. Probably blasphemous but delicious none the less.

"In pursuit of joys untasted"
from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
Posted August 3rd 2012, 8:54pm
Jazzfood wrote:MMMMM. Waterchestnut cake w/chili oil. Probably blasphemous but delicious none the less.

Yep...sweet, hot and crunchy! Insanely good to this gringo.

“Is salami and eggs better than sex?" Alan King
Home Cookin'

Online Information