LTH Home

Baylor's Melon Market (with photos)

Baylor's Melon Market (with photos)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 5
  • Baylor's Melon Market (with photos)

Post #1 - August 29th, 2005, 5:31 pm
    Post #1 - August 29th, 2005, 5:31 pm Post #1 - August 29th, 2005, 5:31 pm
    Friday night Cathy and I hit a few Far South Side gems. First was Pacifico for a tostada and tacos (the standard LTHForum order: ceviche, soft fish, crispy shrimp). Then off to Club 81 Too, on the banks of Wolf Lake, for their Friday fish fry. One of these days this place will get a proper write-up here; actually at this rate it might take years. Instead of the original plan of stopping for pupusas afterwards, we decided to take the opportunity to try the fresh peach ice cream at Cunis Candies. This is seriously good ice cream. The season is winding down so don’t miss your chance this year.

After a very circuitous route back toward the city we headed up Halsted. As we approached 101st Street there was a sight that stopped us dead in our tracks.

Melon Market at Midnight, View from Halsted
    Baylor’s Melon Market is a colorful cinderblock shed, lit only with a few fluorescent bulbs, filled with watermelons of various shapes and sizes. As the sign suggests they sell only watermelons grown in Mississippi. The Market has been around 18 years and is open from May to September.

The Melon Bus
    Around back was a converted school bus adapted as a melon-hauling vehicle. Behind the bus was an 18-wheeler with sleeper and open trailer also for transporting melons. Clearly these guys are serious.

Not being able to get thoughts of watermelons out of my head, I returned on Saturday when they were open.

Baylor’s Melon Market, View from 101st
    During business hours they open up the north side of the building. Other than watermelons, the only other item they sell is peanuts, also grown on their farm in Mississippi. I bought a bag and they are truly outstanding. These are smaller than the usual peanut, unsalted, intensely aromatic, with a very concentrated flavor. Unfortunately, they never have boiled peanuts because the green peanut season hardly overlaps their Chicago stay.

Piles of Melons
    You can’t walk around inside the Melon Market but there are plenty of watermelons to look at (the picture shows only a fraction of what’s on hand). When I asked if I could take a picture the very nice proprietor joked, “Never seen a melon before?” “Not this many,” I answered truthfully. Long ones, round ones, big ones, small ones, dark ones, light ones. “Just like people,” she pointed out. Unlike humans, every one is nearly perfect, there are few bruised or damaged melons at Baylor’s. The prices are not particularly low—some of the big ones approach $10—but they seem to do a brisk business. I bought one of the smaller melons for $5.

Melon Return Policy
    Baylor’s has quite a liberal return policy for their melons but there are limitations.

So how was the melon? Simply one of the best I can remember. I’m all for eating local products but there are times the local stuff doesn’t quite measure up. Give a Baylor’s a try before they close for the year. Or if you miss them this year, think about them next May when you’re tempted to buy one of those pale, pink, mealy supermarket watermelons. Baylor’s is another Far South Side gem, I’d say.

Baylor’s Melon Market
    10100 S Halsted St
    (a few blocks south of the I-57 Halsted exit)
    Chicago
    No phone
    Open 7 days, 8:30am-9pm
    Last edited by Rene G on September 1st, 2005, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #2 - August 31st, 2005, 9:48 pm
    Post #2 - August 31st, 2005, 9:48 pm Post #2 - August 31st, 2005, 9:48 pm
    Rene,

A beautiful post about a place I'll probably never go (too far, and I'm too lazy).

I love that bus with the metal screen, looking like a transport vehicle from a corrections facility.

To get too legalistic, why would you bring back the "whole" melon (I mean, you'd have to taste just a little to determine that you didn't like it, right)?

David "Guess I should have gone into law" Hammond
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #3 - September 1st, 2005, 6:20 am
    Post #3 - September 1st, 2005, 6:20 am Post #3 - September 1st, 2005, 6:20 am
    Rene G wrote:So how was the melon? Simply one of the best I can remember.

LTH,

I had the pleasure of ReneG, MapleLeaf, and family, along with m'th'su's, company for lunch at Cafe Trinidad Wednesday. Lunch was very good, more to follow in a separate post. After lunch Rene, m'th'su and I went to Baylor's, MapleLeaf's cute as a button 2-year-old daughter thought nap-time a better idea, Old Fashioned Donut and, just for the heck of it, Harold's for a Zim inspired Fling w/french fries.

Baylor's melon, which Ellen and I had for breakfast this morning, is exceptional, different enough that it made me consider what is 'actual' watermelon favor. Baylor's watermelon had, in addition to watermelon, notes of chive, almost garlic chive, clover honey, hint of grassy flavor and a other subtle background notes. Ellen postulated the melon had picked up flavors from surrounding fields.

When I've eaten Green City Market/organic type melons the flavor, as opposed to the one bright note of supermarket/industrial watermelons, has been deeper, intense, flavorful, but never the symphony Baylor's watermelon played on my palate.

I highly suggest a visit to Baylor's, for both watermelon and peanuts, and a chat with Anita, purveyor of melons and friend to pigeons. I'd also suggest a short jaunt to Old Fashioned Donut's for an Apple Fritter or three.

Anita

Baylor's Watermelon

Old Fashioned Donut Apple Fritter

Enjoy,
    Gary

Old Fashioned Donuts
    11248 S Michigan Ave
    Chicago, IL 60628
    773-995-7420

Cafe Trinidad
    557 E 75th St
    Chicago, Il 60619
    773-846-8080
    http.www.cafetrinidad.com

Baylor’s Melon Market
    10100 S Halsted St
    Chicago
    Last edited by G Wiv on September 1st, 2005, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #4 - September 1st, 2005, 6:55 am
    Post #4 - September 1st, 2005, 6:55 am Post #4 - September 1st, 2005, 6:55 am
    G Wiv wrote:I'd also suggest a short jaunt to Old Fashioned Donut's for an Apple Fritter or three.

Did you eat all three or freeze some for later?

Sounds like a great watermelon. I think Ms. Wiv hit the spit the seed on a bullseye with her postulation of the melon picking up flavors from surrounding fields.
    Bruce
    Plenipotentiary
    bruce@bdbbq.com

Raw meat should NOT have an ingredients list!!
  • Post #5 - September 1st, 2005, 7:32 am
    Post #5 - September 1st, 2005, 7:32 am Post #5 - September 1st, 2005, 7:32 am
    Aside from the purported good taste and obvious ambiance of venue, Baylor's melons also seem to have something else going for them: minimum seeds. I like watermelon (especially with a shake of salt), but I find the seeds a drag -- and "seedless" watermelon sometimes feels genetically engineered to remove both seeds and flavor.

David "Talking myself into driving to the far Southside" Hammond
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #6 - September 9th, 2005, 5:06 am
    Post #6 - September 9th, 2005, 5:06 am Post #6 - September 9th, 2005, 5:06 am
    G Wiv wrote:I'd also suggest a short jaunt to Old Fashioned Donut's for an Apple Fritter or three.

Bruce wrote:Did you eat all three or freeze some for later?

Bruce,

Froze some for later. Guess I should let others in on my Apple Fritter trick. :)

Old Fashioned Donut's Apple Fritters freeze very well and are wonderful, and I'm not being hyperbolic when I say wonderful, eaten straight from the freezer.

I cut the Apple Fritters into 6-pieces and freeze in a ziploc bag. The Apple Fritters are so laden with apple chunks, and rich that they don't freeze hard, making them easy to bite into even when straight from the freezer.

For those of you reading this and thinking "what a great idea" don't be so sure, it's a lot easier to open your freezer than drive to 112th and S Michigan Ave and Old Fashioned Apple Fritters are addictive. :)

Enjoy,
    Gary

Old Fashioned Donuts
    11248 S Michigan Ave
    Chicago, IL 60628
    773-995-7420
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #7 - June 13th, 2006, 7:35 pm
    Post #7 - June 13th, 2006, 7:35 pm Post #7 - June 13th, 2006, 7:35 pm
    Just a quick note to let everyone know that the melon bus has returned and Baylor’s Melon Market is open for the season.

Melon Bus, June 2006
  • Post #8 - June 18th, 2006, 6:32 am
    Post #8 - June 18th, 2006, 6:32 am Post #8 - June 18th, 2006, 6:32 am
    I know, I know. It's at 101st and Halsted and the Ryan is a mess. But there is help available. Whether you like your information in straight text or visually, you can tell before you leave your house how it will be. Was it worth 28 minutes each way yesterday afternoon? Yes indeed. Should I have bought more than three watermelons as long as I was there? Yes again.

Thank you, ReneG, for introducing us to the Baylors and their melons.
  • Post #9 - July 31st, 2006, 11:26 am
    Post #9 - July 31st, 2006, 11:26 am Post #9 - July 31st, 2006, 11:26 am
    HI,

It is recommended to store watermelon at room temperature. It not only preserves the vitamins, they last longer than when refrigerated.

On one of my trips to Kenosha and Racine, I had seen a car on the side of the road filled with watermelons. I saw the familiar name 'Baylor' though the attendants were white and not black. Yet somehow I felt it was connected to Baylor's on the south side.

I was at Baylor's last week to purchase two seedless watermelons for $12. Talking to the lady, I mentioned a Baylor siting in Kenosha and RAcie, which she acknowledged was their operation. I also mentioned the seller's were white. She explained one of the Baylor's married a white girl from there. It was her kinfolk who were selling the watermelons.

They also have watermelon busses up in Milwaukee, though they are not always in the same location. I got a big laugh when I inquired if they had a phone number to learn the daily location for the watermelon bus.

If you are taking the alternative Stony Island route to access the Skyway, then please be advised several blocks south of Moo and Oink on the west side of the street a Baylor watermelon bus can be found.

The two watermelons were absolutely outstanding and finished within two days. While Baylor watermelons are more expensive, they offer some very sweet tasting cultivars, which are harvested and carefully handled to maintain their peak. It may not be local, though they are amongst the best watermelons I have ever had.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #10 - August 9th, 2006, 5:17 am
    Post #10 - August 9th, 2006, 5:17 am Post #10 - August 9th, 2006, 5:17 am
    Cathy2 wrote:It is recommended to store watermelon at room temperature. It not only preserves the vitamins, they last longer than when refrigerated.

Cathy,

Steve Z made a Baylor run last week and picked one up for me as well. A couple of hours after taking receipt of the melon we went out of town for 4-days and left the Baylor watermelon sitting on the counter. While 4-days is not a long time, the melon was absolutely perfect when I cut into it late Monday night.

Baylor watermelon simply taste better than the average, or farmers market, melon. They have a full spectrum of flavors, I noted distinctly grassy, herbal notes in my most recent Baylor melon, and a soft lovely sweet quality, in a nature loves you kind of way.

Baylor melons rock.

Enjoy,
    Gary (who, like Hammond, eats watermelon with a light sprinkle of coarse salt)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #11 - August 9th, 2006, 8:51 am
    Post #11 - August 9th, 2006, 8:51 am Post #11 - August 9th, 2006, 8:51 am
    HI,

I am very inclined to suggest it may be a future GNR candidate. It is a seasonal shop selling only peanuts and watermelons, though a lot of care is put into those two products.

You know it is never too early to think about GNR! :D

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #12 - August 11th, 2006, 10:40 am
    Post #12 - August 11th, 2006, 10:40 am Post #12 - August 11th, 2006, 10:40 am
    On my way to the Skyway last Friday, speeding down Stony Island, I thought I saw a bus with a "Sweet Mississippi" sign. The bus was filled with watermelons. It was fairly close to the Moo and Oink. Does anyone know if this is an outpost of Baylor's? Seems like it.
  • Post #13 - August 11th, 2006, 11:31 am
    Post #13 - August 11th, 2006, 11:31 am Post #13 - August 11th, 2006, 11:31 am
    aschie30 wrote:On my way to the Skyway last Friday, speeding down Stony Island, I thought I saw a bus with a "Sweet Mississippi" sign. The bus was filled with watermelons. It was fairly close to the Moo and Oink. Does anyone know if this is an outpost of Baylor's? Seems like it.

Yes it is. In fact, that's where I got my Baylor watermelons that were referenced above.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #14 - August 12th, 2006, 12:41 pm
    Post #14 - August 12th, 2006, 12:41 pm Post #14 - August 12th, 2006, 12:41 pm
    I saw the same bus on Stoney on the way back from Harborside and was wondering the same thing. Pardon the ignorance, but when does watermelon season end (or, when does Baylor's close)? Also, is the Stoney Island bus there every day? Thanks!
  • Post #15 - August 12th, 2006, 4:39 pm
    Post #15 - August 12th, 2006, 4:39 pm Post #15 - August 12th, 2006, 4:39 pm
    Melon bus wasn't there this Friday (around 6:00 p.m.) on Stoney Island. :(
  • Post #16 - August 13th, 2006, 5:56 pm
    Post #16 - August 13th, 2006, 5:56 pm Post #16 - August 13th, 2006, 5:56 pm
    HI,

This afternoon I did a little On*Star assistance for CrazyC who was in pursuit of watermelons on Stony Island. She saw either just before or just after Moo and Oink a white truck with 'Mississippi Watermelon' on the side. I told her to drive just a little further to see if she could find a bus. She proceeded further to find the Baylor bus. She made inquiries about the truck to learn it is not related to Baylor.

While I know nothing of the other brand, just be aware there are look-alikes out there.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #17 - August 13th, 2006, 8:13 pm
    Post #17 - August 13th, 2006, 8:13 pm Post #17 - August 13th, 2006, 8:13 pm
    I love Baylor watermelons. Having said that, there is a pickup truck which parks near my hourse every weekend on Cicero between Balmoral and Berwyn, near the entrance to Labaugh Woods. The Mexican driver brings a load of both seeded and seedless watermelons up from Texas every week and sits by the side of the road selling them until they are gone. Today, I was in need of a watermelon and didn't have time to drive down to Baylor's, so I purchased one from this gentleman who is located a mere block and a half from my house. I've got to say that his seeded watermelon compared quite favorably with the Baylor melon I had purhased last week. I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference without doing a side-by-side taste off.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #18 - August 13th, 2006, 8:22 pm
    Post #18 - August 13th, 2006, 8:22 pm Post #18 - August 13th, 2006, 8:22 pm
    My mission for the Baylor watermelons was almost called off... not once... but twice! But I made it... =)

Before leaving, I checked the traffic reports... Not too bad, but not clear. Hopped on 290 which was free and clear, until the ramp to 90/94... After sitting for 15 minutes, I hopped off at the Taylor Roosevelt exit, and decided to take Halsted... So did everyone else... After a U-turn on Halsted and a quick left on Roosevelt, I was tempted to go home... Until I saw Ashland. Free and clear all the way to 67th Street (The bridge at 71st over 94 is out according to the Trib's traffic map).

30-40 minutes later, (and after a few friendly pick-up lines at the light - not on my part), I noticed a white moving truck on the side of the road with a 'Mississippi Watermelon' sign. Confused, since I was expecting it after Moo and Oink... With Cathy2's encouragement, I continued on and came across a white school bus in an empty "Auto Sales" lot after Moo and Oink.

The nice guys helped me pick out 4 big watermelons. Even though the melons had 7.50 marked on the outside, I was charged $24 for the lot.

I cut up a quarter of the watermelon for dinner tonight at my friend's place. It was definitely better than the ones at the grocery store, but in my opinion, the watermelon slice I had at Renga-tei last night was better. But it could have been just the melon I had. I was going to keep another one for myself, and the other 2 were for Cathy2. But I had half a melon left over from dinner tonight, so Cathy2 went home with 3...

I will definitely head back down that way again. Hopefully they will have the seedless ones next time. Anyone who lives in the city that is interested can PM me, and I will call you before I make the trek again to see if you want me to pick up extra... =)
  • Post #19 - August 13th, 2006, 8:34 pm
    Post #19 - August 13th, 2006, 8:34 pm Post #19 - August 13th, 2006, 8:34 pm
    stevez wrote:I've got to say that his seeded watermelon compared quite favorably with the Baylor melon I had purhased last week. I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference without doing a side-by-side taste off.

Steve,

Just got done eating a small pile of watermelon from Trader Joe's, which I picked u when m'th'su dragged me there so he could get his Pinon coffee bean fix*, and there is really no comparison between Baylor and TJ. Baylor by a landslide.

I will try the guy on Cicero** later this week.

Enjoy,
    Gary

* Fair trade/shade grown/no animal-child-sea creature harmed/all organic/zentastic whole coffee bean mixed with a few Pinon (pine nuts)
    ** Around 5000 N, right?
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #20 - August 14th, 2006, 4:11 am
    Post #20 - August 14th, 2006, 4:11 am Post #20 - August 14th, 2006, 4:11 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    I will try the guy on Cicero** later this week.

Enjoy,
    Gary

* Fair trade/shade grown/no animal-child-sea creature harmed/all organic/zentastic whole coffee bean mixed with a few Pinon (pine nuts)
    ** Around 5000 N, right?

Closer to 5200 N. He seems to arrive on Friday, but sometimes on Thursday and is there all weekend during daylight hours.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #21 - August 14th, 2006, 6:16 am
    Post #21 - August 14th, 2006, 6:16 am Post #21 - August 14th, 2006, 6:16 am
    I haven't seen this mentioned so I'll inquire...Is one variety at Baylor's better tasting than the other? When I stopped by yesterday at the actual stand on Halsted there were a pile of 2 for $10 smaller, orb-like ones on the left (and right?) and in the center there were the more traditional (at least to me) elongated ones. Those were marked with a pen with prices in the area of $7.50, not surprisingly because they seemed larger. When I inquired I was told that the 2/$10 orb-like ones that were a darker green were "seedless." I picked up 2 for $10 but have yet to try them. Anyone see a dramatic taste difference between the two varieties?
  • Post #22 - August 14th, 2006, 6:31 am
    Post #22 - August 14th, 2006, 6:31 am Post #22 - August 14th, 2006, 6:31 am
    MKHesq wrote:I haven't seen this mentioned so I'll inquire...Is one variety at Baylor's better tasting than the other? When I stopped by yesterday at the actual stand on Halsted there were a pile of 2 for $10 smaller, orb-like ones on the left (and right?) and in the center there were the more traditional (at least to me) elongated ones. Those were marked with a pen with prices in the area of $7.50, not surprisingly because they seemed larger. When I inquired I was told that the 2/$10 orb-like ones that were a darker green were "seedless." I picked up 2 for $10 but have yet to try them. Anyone see a dramatic taste difference between the two varieties?

Last time I visited, they were offering tastes of both varieties. I found the seedless ones slightly less sweet and a bit more fibrous, so I opted for the seeded variety. Another person, who had obviously purchased a watermelon or two in his life, prefered the seedless, so I think it boils down to a matter of taste...and how large of a watermelon you need.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #23 - September 12th, 2006, 7:44 pm
    Post #23 - September 12th, 2006, 7:44 pm Post #23 - September 12th, 2006, 7:44 pm
    MKHesq wrote:. . . but when does watermelon season end (or, when does Baylor's close)?

There won’t be too many more chances to visit Baylor’s Melon Market this season. Anita said they’ll be open next weekend (Sept 16-17) but will probably close soon after. In addition to watermelons their excellent peanuts are also available (3 bags for $5).

Baylor's Melon Market, September 9, 2006
  • Post #24 - September 12th, 2006, 10:32 pm
    Post #24 - September 12th, 2006, 10:32 pm Post #24 - September 12th, 2006, 10:32 pm
    Rene G wrote:Anita said they’ll be open next weekend (Sept 16-17) but will probably close soon after.

Hopefully someone will pick up a few melons for the LTH Picnic. I'm out of town or else I would do it.
    Last edited by stevez on September 13th, 2006, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #25 - September 13th, 2006, 4:54 pm
    Post #25 - September 13th, 2006, 4:54 pm Post #25 - September 13th, 2006, 4:54 pm
    Do they still have the seedless variety? I only see the seeded in that photo...
  • Post #26 - September 14th, 2006, 9:00 am
    Post #26 - September 14th, 2006, 9:00 am Post #26 - September 14th, 2006, 9:00 am
    On our way back from a wedding in Merrillville over Labor Day weekend, we made the sidetrip to Baylor's Melon Market. One of my friends who grew up in the Beverly area, had never heard of the place and thought I was nuts for making the stop. Mr. X probably agreed with her about my sanity, but he was captive in the car and I think he secretly enjoys these sidetrips.

We bought two seedless watermelon and a bag of the fresh-roasted peanuts. One watermelon was shared with my family over Labor Day, the other was cut open at our condo picnic last weekend. I have to say that we were underwhelmed by the watermelon. We didn't notice any difference in flavor from other recent non-Baylor melons.

The peanuts, however, were fantastic and I'm not a huge peanut eater. Mr. X double-roasted what we had left and we had something to enjoy at last night's Cubs game (especially since the product on the field was miserable.)

-The GP
  • Post #27 - September 14th, 2006, 9:16 pm
    Post #27 - September 14th, 2006, 9:16 pm Post #27 - September 14th, 2006, 9:16 pm
    MKHesq wrote:Do they still have the seedless variety? I only see the seeded in that photo...

Seedless are gone. Peanuts and seeded are still available.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #28 - June 30th, 2007, 8:17 pm
    Post #28 - June 30th, 2007, 8:17 pm Post #28 - June 30th, 2007, 8:17 pm
    The melon bus has returned and Baylor's is now open for the 2007 season.

For those of you who don't want to make the drive just for watermelon and peanuts, Calumet Fisheries is just a couple miles east of the Baylor stand, and Top Notch Beefburger and Petey's are both a couple of miles west.

Get off the dan ryan at 95th, head east and pick up some smoked shrimp, salmon, and chubs from Calumet, go back the way you came and grab some watermelon and peanuts from Baylor, and finish it off with a burger, fries, and an oreo malt at Top Notch.

The only problem with this itinerary is you'll probably have torn into the shrimp on the way from Calumet, and they'll have stuffed you full of sample watermelon at Baylor's, so you might not have room for your real meal.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #29 - June 30th, 2007, 8:21 pm
    Post #29 - June 30th, 2007, 8:21 pm Post #29 - June 30th, 2007, 8:21 pm
    Hi,

Did you see the melon bus near Moo and Oink on Stoney? ReneG and I visited their homebase on Halsted recently because we didn't see them on Stoney Island. They said they were chased from there, now there bus is at a new location though I don't recall where.

Which location did you see their bus?

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #30 - June 30th, 2007, 8:35 pm
    Post #30 - June 30th, 2007, 8:35 pm Post #30 - June 30th, 2007, 8:35 pm
    We saw the melon bus driving south towards the stand as we were heading back up to 95th street, so I don't know where it's spending its days and nights currently. Last time we were at Baylor (september 06), it was about 9pm and the bus looked like it was parked next to the stand for the night.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events