LTH Home

Bavette's Bar & Boeuf

Bavette's Bar & Boeuf
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Bavette's Bar & Boeuf

Post #1 - October 11th, 2012, 9:26 am
    Post #1 - October 11th, 2012, 9:26 am Post #1 - October 11th, 2012, 9:26 am
    Last night was our anniversary, so the wife and I had a rare date night at the newest addition to Brendan Sodikoff's growing empire, Bavette's. We had a great time and the food was excellent.

We started with cocktails. I had the cognac sazerac - cognac, Rittenhouse rye, demerara sugar and Peychaud's. I never would have thought to add cognac to a sazerac, but the mixture definitely worked. My wife had a lillet based drink (I can't remember the name) with gin and St. Germain. This was very sweet, which is exactly how she likes her cocktails. Not my style, but she loved it. Later, I had the americano chinato. This was fine, very dry, but not very interesting. My wife had a French 75, which I didn't try but she said she liked it.

We started off with the foie gras terrine. Outstanding. A generous portion size for $18, served with toast and blackberry jam. The foie was rich and well prepared.

I had oysters next. My wife does not eat oysters, so more for me! I tried two east coast varieties that were both perfect. Briny, plenty of liquor and pristine. Very well shucked, not a speck of grit to be seen. These were the highlight of the night for me.

My wife had the meatball with pasta, much touted by Mike Sula at the Reader. This comes with a huge meatball, so I would recommend splitting it between two people. We both loved this. Slightly spicy, not too tight but not falling apart. The past and sauce were also very good.

On the side, we had roast broccoli, which was fine, and thick cut bacon. Since the bacon craze seems to be slowing down, I was surprised to this on the menu, but it was delicious. Fatty, smoky and peppery.

The atmosphere and space itself were great. I was worried the place would be too "sceney", but everything was very low key. Lots of wood paneling and exposed masonry. Service was friendly and efficient. We will definitely be back, and next time I will try to explore the wine list.

Bavette's
    218 West Kinzie
    312-624-8154
  • Post #2 - October 11th, 2012, 2:12 pm
    Post #2 - October 11th, 2012, 2:12 pm Post #2 - October 11th, 2012, 2:12 pm
    DJH wrote: I had the cognac sazerac - cognac, Rittenhouse rye, demerara sugar and Peychaud's. I never would have thought to add cognac to a sazerac, but the mixture definitely worked.

By coincidence, just this morning on my walk I listened to a podcast of "The Splendid Table" that touched on this subject. LRoK was in New Orleans, interviewing a master bartender there. He said that Sazerac House and its signature drink were named for a brand of cognac (Sazerac de Forge et Fils, Wikipedia says) made in the 18th and 19th centuries. He said that whiskey replaced cognac in sazeracs because Americans were whiskey drinkers rather than cognac drinkers, but Wikipedia blames the European phylloxera epidemic as well.

So, apparently a cognac sazerac is as old-school as it gets.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #3 - October 15th, 2012, 8:31 pm
    Post #3 - October 15th, 2012, 8:31 pm Post #3 - October 15th, 2012, 8:31 pm
    I went about three weeks ago and honestly it was one of the better meals I've had in the past six months. Quick recap, we started with the wedge salad and stroganoff and they both were amazing. I'm a huge fan of the wedge salad in general but this was the best wedge I've ever had. Big chunks of blue cheese and a nice creaminess to the dressing, red onions, soft boiled egg, lots of fresh herbs on top and a nice thick cut of bacon that just topped it all off. The stroganoff was made with short ribs and reminded me of the dish my mom made when I was young but so much better. Nicely cooked pasta, with a nice rich and creamy mushroom sauce, loaded with pieces of short rib. I could of just eaten these two things and been content, but we also split the rib eye which actually was disappointing. The steak was ordered medium rare and came out cooked uneven, medium rare on one side to medium on the other. We finished the meal with the oreo pie which was nice and thick and was just way too much and just enough at the same time.

I would definitely go back again and give it another try even with the steak mishap.
  • Post #4 - October 19th, 2012, 8:45 am
    Post #4 - October 19th, 2012, 8:45 am Post #4 - October 19th, 2012, 8:45 am
    Had a fantastic meal at Bavette's last week. We were a party of four and sat in a cozy booth. The space is beautiful, dim lit and perfect volume for conversations. We started with several dishes, including the foie, the duck and goat cheese terrine, the bone marrow and a braised tongue dish. The foie was outstanding, as was the tongue. The bone marrow and duck were also very good. We split three entrees: roasted chicken, pork chop & filet mignon. The filet was my least favorite of the three, it wasn't bad, just compared to the other two it was not exceptional. The pork chop was really the highlight for me, it was huge, it was moist and it had fantastic flavor. For sides we had the blue cheese creamed spinach, elotes and french fries. All were delicious. Desserts were impressive as well, there was a lemon chiffon pie that was perfect and a chocolate pie that was also very good. I cannot wait to go back!!
  • Post #5 - November 8th, 2012, 3:48 pm
    Post #5 - November 8th, 2012, 3:48 pm Post #5 - November 8th, 2012, 3:48 pm
    Is there bar seating where you can order of the full menu? There would be 2 of us on a weeknight looking to walk in, early (the night in question, next week, doesn't have available tables, per opentable). Thanks for your thoughts.
  • Post #6 - November 8th, 2012, 5:39 pm
    Post #6 - November 8th, 2012, 5:39 pm Post #6 - November 8th, 2012, 5:39 pm
    Shasson wrote:Is there bar seating where you can order of the full menu? There would be 2 of us on a weeknight looking to walk in, early (the night in question, next week, doesn't have available tables, per opentable). Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes
  • Post #7 - November 29th, 2012, 3:10 pm
    Post #7 - November 29th, 2012, 3:10 pm Post #7 - November 29th, 2012, 3:10 pm
    Would anyone mind suggesting some must-try menu items here? It also appears their menu may have changed slightly since opening?

Thinking about trying a steak or some kind of beef/pork menu item but would appreciate some LTH guidance!
  • Post #8 - November 29th, 2012, 3:18 pm
    Post #8 - November 29th, 2012, 3:18 pm Post #8 - November 29th, 2012, 3:18 pm
    Lerdawg wrote:Would anyone mind suggesting some must-try menu items here? It also appears their menu may have changed slightly since opening?

Thinking about trying a steak or some kind of beef/pork menu item but would appreciate some LTH guidance!

I really enjoyed my one meal here back in August. Beef tongue, bacon, hash browns, brandade, crab cake and several other items were all great. Our dry-aged ribeye steak was completely fine -- and cooked perfectly -- but honestly, it was the least interesting we tasted. Everything else trumped it. If it were me, I'd arrive hungry, explore the menu (on which there seem to be very few misses) and probably steer around the steak. Cocktails and spirits are solid, too.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #9 - November 29th, 2012, 3:31 pm
    Post #9 - November 29th, 2012, 3:31 pm Post #9 - November 29th, 2012, 3:31 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Lerdawg wrote:Would anyone mind suggesting some must-try menu items here? It also appears their menu may have changed slightly since opening?

I really enjoyed my one meal here back in August. Beef tongue, bacon, hash browns, brandade, crab cake and several other items were all great. Our dry-aged ribeye steak was completely fine -- and cooked perfectly -- but honestly, it was the least interesting we tasted. Everything else trumped it. If it were me, I'd arrive hungry, explore the menu (on which there seem to be very few misses) and probably steer around the steak. Cocktails and spirits are solid, too.

=R=

Thanks Ronnie! I actually should have mentioned that my friend and I dined here already once and tried the shrimp cocktail (delicious large shrimp on a huge elevated platter - great presentation), fried chicken (excellent flavor/breading and nearly an entire chicken!) and creamed spinach for a side. So I was hoping on my return to try some different items, possibly a steak. Guess I will have to rethink...
  • Post #10 - November 29th, 2012, 3:38 pm
    Post #10 - November 29th, 2012, 3:38 pm Post #10 - November 29th, 2012, 3:38 pm
    Lerdawg wrote:Thanks Ronnie! I actually should have mentioned that my friend and I dined here already once and tried the shrimp cocktail (delicious large shrimp on a huge elevated platter - great presentation), fried chicken (excellent flavor/breading and nearly an entire chicken!) and creamed spinach for a side. So I was hoping on my return to try some different items, possibly a steak. Guess I will have to rethink...

Not necessarily -- just one dude's opinion. I have a great butcher who ages his beef in-house and a wicked hot charcoal grill, so restaurant steaks very rarely shine for me. If you don't cook steak at home (or order it out) very often, I'm guessing this steak will have more of a positive impact.

=R=
  • Post #11 - November 29th, 2012, 4:02 pm
    Post #11 - November 29th, 2012, 4:02 pm Post #11 - November 29th, 2012, 4:02 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:and probably steer around the steak.

=R=

Ha. :lol:

Some of my favorites include the Foie terrine, seafood tower and caesar salad.
  • Post #12 - November 30th, 2012, 10:35 am
    Post #12 - November 30th, 2012, 10:35 am Post #12 - November 30th, 2012, 10:35 am
    I have to say the meatball I had there was pretty great. We ordered that and the fried chicken as mains and while the chicken was delicious I thought the meatball was the real star. I thought their house made thick cut bacon was pretty stellar too.
  • Post #13 - November 30th, 2012, 12:17 pm
    Post #13 - November 30th, 2012, 12:17 pm Post #13 - November 30th, 2012, 12:17 pm
    I'll add a plug for the shrimp de jonghe - great rendition with terrific shrimp (probably the same ones you had on the seafood platter). Just mentioned above, but I really liked the caesar preparation which has a ton of whitefish - this is a really good value too (only $10 or so if I rememeber and a ton of food).
  • Post #14 - December 2nd, 2012, 10:43 pm
    Post #14 - December 2nd, 2012, 10:43 pm Post #14 - December 2nd, 2012, 10:43 pm
    The fried chicken is good, the meatloaf is better.

The duck and goat cheese terrine is excellent and the brandade, no lie, is the best I've ever had.

The chocolate cream pie is also quite impressive.

Between this, DV, and Au Cheval I've already written in Maude's for my next trip.
  • Post #15 - December 3rd, 2012, 5:06 pm
    Post #15 - December 3rd, 2012, 5:06 pm Post #15 - December 3rd, 2012, 5:06 pm
    uhockey wrote:...and the brandade, no lie, is the best I've ever had.

I think Avec's brandade is better, but I really liked this version. Creamy, nice fish flavor, bits of potato, and enjoyed the vinegar chips that came with.

Side of bacon was incredible. Made for awesome leftovers in scrambbled eggs next morning.

We really enjoyed the beef stroganoff, but the burger was a bit too salty. If seasoned less, it would have been wonderful. I still ate most of it - reminded me of a medium rare version of in-n-out burger.
  • Post #16 - December 3rd, 2012, 10:31 pm
    Post #16 - December 3rd, 2012, 10:31 pm Post #16 - December 3rd, 2012, 10:31 pm
    The "fish n' chips" was a clever spin on it and I simply found the Bavette's version less oily and more creamy. Both are really good - as is Minetta Tavern's version in New York. I'd gladly take any of them out here in Phoenix.
  • Post #17 - January 6th, 2013, 4:30 pm
    Post #17 - January 6th, 2013, 4:30 pm Post #17 - January 6th, 2013, 4:30 pm
    My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful meal at Bavette's last night.

We started with Shrimp de Jonghe (garlicky good) and beef marrow bones (nice and creamy, accompanied by blueberry jam and garlicky Texas toast). My wife had the short rib stroganoff, and I echo the enthusiastic posts upthread. I had the 1/2 roast chicken, which was insanely good - the meat was rendolent of rosemary and VERY intense garlic; I usually don't order chicken in restaurants (except for fried chicken), but I am glad that I followed the advice of David Tamarkin in Time Out Chicago.

The chocolate cream pie that we shared for dessert was magnificent, with a intense flavor and a fudge-like consistency.

I look forward to returning to Bavette's Bar & BoeUf. :D
  • Post #18 - January 6th, 2013, 6:34 pm
    Post #18 - January 6th, 2013, 6:34 pm Post #18 - January 6th, 2013, 6:34 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    and probably steer around the steak.
    =R=

Groan!
    "When I'm born I'm a Tar Heel bred, and when I die I'm a Tar Heel dead."
  • Post #19 - January 6th, 2013, 9:18 pm
    Post #19 - January 6th, 2013, 9:18 pm Post #19 - January 6th, 2013, 9:18 pm
    2 quick comments:
    This thread should be spelled Bavette and Boeuf, not Boeff
    Brandade, a dish born in Nimes, in Southern France, is made exclusively from boiled cod, olive oil, and a touch of garlic, no potatoes
  • Post #20 - January 6th, 2013, 10:18 pm
    Post #20 - January 6th, 2013, 10:18 pm Post #20 - January 6th, 2013, 10:18 pm
    alain40 wrote:2 quick comments:
    This thread should be spelled Bavette and Boeuf, not Boeff
    Brandade, a dish born in Nimes, in Southern France, is made exclusively from boiled cod, olive oil, and a touch of garlic, no potatoes

I agree on the first point but I have definitely seen many brandades made with potato although I can't comment on Bavette's version.
  • Post #21 - January 6th, 2013, 10:44 pm
    Post #21 - January 6th, 2013, 10:44 pm Post #21 - January 6th, 2013, 10:44 pm
    alain40 wrote:This thread should be spelled Bavette and Boeuf, not Boeff

Done.

Per the restaurant's website: Bavette's Bar & Boeuf

In addition to actually being correct, this will also maximize search accuracy.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the moderators
  • Post #22 - January 7th, 2013, 4:33 pm
    Post #22 - January 7th, 2013, 4:33 pm Post #22 - January 7th, 2013, 4:33 pm
    Had dinner with 3 other colleagues on Friday night and was really impressed with the space and the vibe. It's certainly loud, but not off-putting.

Food was predominantly good - we were very happy with the brandade, as this also seems to be the consensus on this forum, as well as the fresh sourdough. The crab-stuffed avocado was good, although a little bland. The wedge salad was ridiculously big - even split 4 ways there was no way it was getting finished. Bacon and tomato salad also quite good - you absolutely must get the bacon in some form here, it's quite delicious. Filet was good, although nobody was overly excited about it. I ordered the roasted chicken, which looked delicious and was cooked almost perfectly (skin a little limp), but it was egregiously salty. My senses were dampened by a cold and I was still floored by the salt - to test my palate I had two others try separate pieces of the chicken and each found it to be nearly inedibly salty. Sides were all excellent (broccoli, tomatoes, mashed potatoes, and hash browns).

Service was iffy - REALLY slow, such that between ordering wine and receiving it was at least 10 minutes, and it seemed to be nearly that length between our waiter's stops by our table. He was friendly, and relatively knowledgeable, though, so it wasn't a complete miss.

Old Overholt Old Fashioned was only OK, as the cherries included in the old fashioned were burned with liquor (I couldn't even tell if it was brandy or not, just a pungent alcohol taste), and skewed the flavor of the drink - that said, I prefer a Luxardo Maraschino to an in-house brandied cherry 9 times out of 10. The Old Fashioned set me back $17 after tip. As a side note, Urban Union makes a very good Old Fashioned with Templeton Rye, and I'd probably tip my hat to them as the best I've had recently (and they use Luxardo Maraschinos).

All in all it was still a pleasant experience, and I'm headed back this week to check out some of the other items.

**Update as of 2nd visit on 1/10

Our 2nd visit was superb, and blew away our last.

Service was outstanding (I highly recommend requesting Johnny, our server, if you can).

I ordered another Old Fashioned, this time with Templeton Rye instead of Old Overholt, and it was much better - the cherries were not overpowering this time.

Bread, as with the first visit, very good. Shrimp de Jonghe, as previous posts have indicated, was really, really good. At $17-18 it seems a bit pricey for a starter, but in all reality the six large butterflied shrimp may just as well have been a lobster tail - something I will likely order on every visit.

For mains we ordered the meatball and the stroganoff - wow. The meatball was up there with the best I've had, with a slight gaminess to it. Only Socca, and now Bavette's, serve meatballs that I'd order without hesitation. The stroganoff was good, although it could have used a touch of salt - it is really earthy, and although the mushrooms are whole and not a part of the sauce, their flavor permeates the dish. The short rib in the stroganoff is fall apart tender and gelatinous, and very good.

Really loved our 2nd visit and has me excited to return.
  • Post #23 - April 18th, 2013, 8:47 am
    Post #23 - April 18th, 2013, 8:47 am Post #23 - April 18th, 2013, 8:47 am
    My wife and I ate here on Saturday and loved it. I really wanted to try the stroganoff but we decided just to share a steak and get a salad and app. The crabcake was pretty big and tasted good. Nothing extraordinary but we enjoyed it. I loved their remoulade. We also had the wedge salad, which might have been the best thing we ate there. There housemade bleu cheese dressing was killer but what really made it was the house made bacon that others have also raved about in this thread. I made sure to portion it off so I got a nice bite in every forkful. For the entree we shared the steak frites. Perfectly seasoned, perfectly cooked to medium rare flat iron steak with a great Bearnaise sauce on the side. The fries were really good, especially when dipped in the sauce.

I tried the Cognac Sazerac while we waited for our table and was really impressed. The bartender was awesome. Very engaging in talking about their cocktails, which was very helpful since I rarely order cocktails. I asked what was a must-try and he said the Sazerac. I had a 3 Floyds Alpha King with my dinner.
    Visit my new website at http://www.splatteredpages.com or my old one at www.eatwisconsin.com
  • Post #24 - November 10th, 2013, 11:45 am
    Post #24 - November 10th, 2013, 11:45 am Post #24 - November 10th, 2013, 11:45 am
    Friday was my first visit to Bavette's and hopefully not my last (though given the amount of planning to get a table here on a reasonable day and at a reasonable hour, who knows). But I thought the food was just outstanding.

One thing I've appreciated about all of the Sodikoff restaurants is that when I walk in, there's at least one dedicated front of house person waiting for me to arrive, who is familiar with where things stand from a reservation standpoint, and who can communicate clearly concerning whether there will be a wait for your table (but as I found out this morning, Au Cheval does not succeed at all in this respect). So many restaurants in Chicago could take lessons here.

And though Sodikoff seems to like this sort-of-French look for all of his restaurants, I think he did a particularly good job at Bavette's - I found the dining room striking. I also enjoyed the fact that although there was background music and the room was energetic, you could hear the people around you.

The meal starts with delicious complimentary bread, very crisp and slightly burnt on the outside, but with an ultra-light, soft crumb and as soft and delicious a butter as you will find.

As for my order, I started with the shrimp de jonghe. Purists should know this is not at all a typical shrimp de jonghe. There were no breadcrumbs; instead, Texas toast on the side which came in very handy for mopping up the garlicky sweet sauce in which the shrimp bathed. And while this may not have been the shrimp de jonghe to please fans of Chicago purists, it featured beautifully plump, perfectly cooked shrimp of such quality I've never experienced in any other rendition of this dish. I might have expected and desired something different, but I was thrilled with what Bavette's delivered.

Salmon tartare with creme fraiche and lavash was also outstanding. The salmon stood proudly front and center in this tartare, accented beautifully by herbs and creme fraiche. And the wedge salad will remind you why this salad was created in the first place. If you've dined at Au Cheval, you probably had a pretty good idea of the thick, rich bacon that adorns this wedge. But you should know that every other ingredient of this salad receives equally crafted treatment. The same could be said for the crab-stuffed avocado, where appropriately front and center are chunks of deliciously sweet crab.

I was no less impressed with entrees. My favorite was my own shortrib stroganoff. It takes some nerve to serve this dish at a fine dining restaurant. You can usually find the dish on menus at old fashioned diners, usually served with dried out pieces of meat swimming in an unintentionally crust-covered sauce with canned mushrooms and atop an equally unintended sticky web of overcooked noodles. But Bavette's version will make you forget every disastrous version of this dish - the noodles have texture and separate, each one coated in the rich, creamy sauce laced with perfectly cooked mushrooms. And the short rib is so tender and perfectly cooked, as if done sous vide (no idea if it was, but even more impressive if not) with a noticeable yet subtle red wine flavor reminding you you're not at a diner. This was just outstanding.

I was also very impressed with the fried chicken - nicely seasoned with a crackly, brittle crust that led to a moist and very flavorful chicken. This is as good a version of fried chicken as I have tried in recent times - no suggestions for improvement whatsoever. I also enjoyed the meatloaf with mushroom jus, but I only had one bite.

We shared a couple of sides: pommes frites were crisp yet fluffy, delicious and served with an outstanding aioli. Broccoli was expertly roasted with a light char, served simply with some olive oil and lemon for accent.

I really enjoyed the cocktails too - interesting, not too sweet, and done better than what I have experienced at most other places. I'm always a fan of a dark and stormy and this was a particularly well balanced one.

As for service the rest of the night, it was outstanding and well-paced. Just a terrific dinner. And I'll note that the non-steak entrees were very reasonably priced (Link to Bavette's). We didn't order any of the steaks - just so many interesting things to order - I would be curious to try one, particularly to see just how good they prepare a bernaise sauce. But I can't wait to return to Bavette's, even if I don't taste one of the steaks.
  • Post #25 - February 10th, 2014, 7:27 pm
    Post #25 - February 10th, 2014, 7:27 pm Post #25 - February 10th, 2014, 7:27 pm
    I just made a reservation for two in the downstairs parlour. How is this different from the main dining room? Also, opinions seem to vary on loudness. Conversation friendly or too loud? Thanks!
  • Post #26 - February 10th, 2014, 8:06 pm
    Post #26 - February 10th, 2014, 8:06 pm Post #26 - February 10th, 2014, 8:06 pm
    The downstairs is awesome. The semicircle round booths are cozy and easily seat 3 and maybe 4 if you know each other pretty well. I really liked the atmosphere down there and it wasn't too loud.
  • Post #27 - February 11th, 2014, 12:16 pm
    Post #27 - February 11th, 2014, 12:16 pm Post #27 - February 11th, 2014, 12:16 pm
    We really enjoyed our meal here Sunday night. The noise was not too bad, and while it may be a tad dark for old eyes (not me, someone else!), the ambience is great. Food was fine - follow the trend, favor the noodles/comfort food and perhaps save the steak for a second visit to focus on all the other good stuff - but the service this night was excellent, I'd say.
  • Post #28 - February 11th, 2014, 12:33 pm
    Post #28 - February 11th, 2014, 12:33 pm Post #28 - February 11th, 2014, 12:33 pm
    I had a fantastic dinner at Bavette's last night (my third time there) and just polished off leftover elotes for lunch.

As others have mentioned, the complimentary bread are thick slices of a yeasty, crusty loaf...it's easy to polish them off (and you'll then be rewarded with more) but be forewarned: Several of the dishes (including the terrine and bone marrow) also come with thick toast, so try to resist eating too much bread.

We started with the duck and goat cheese terrine, served with some of the aforementioned toast, an apricot mustard and a parsley/chive mixture. It was which was fine, though I'm not a huge fan of pulled meat terrines in general--too much gets stuck in my teeth! The salmon tartare with homemade lavosh and creme fraiche was fantastic...and a lighter option given that most of Bavette's dishes tend to be on the heavier side. (I didn't dare to get on the scale this morning.)

I love Bavette's bacon, which is about 1/3rd of an inch thick, and in the past I've ordered the wedge salad to ensure I get my hands on some of it. (You can also order it as a side dish.) Last night we got the bacon roasted tomato topped with watercress, olive oil and an herb salt. Where they found such flavorful tomatoes in February, I no idea, but I could have licked the plate clean.

Buttermilk fried chicken with ranch dressing and Crystal hot sauce...don't ask questions, just order it to share. Great batter, succulent chicken. Love it.

We also got the steak frites, which is a 10 oz flat iron steak with frites and bearnaise sauce, plus our server brought us some garlic aoli. Now, disclaimer: I don't eat a ton of steak and I'm an idiot when it comes to ordering it/knowing what I like. I am going to make a mental note: Flat iron steak served medium rare. It was perfect, and I'm sort of sad that my table was sharing all of the dishes, because the steak + bacon tomato could have been the perfect meal for me. (Though I'm not in love with their frites...I prefer a thinner fry.)
  • Post #29 - February 11th, 2014, 1:10 pm
    Post #29 - February 11th, 2014, 1:10 pm Post #29 - February 11th, 2014, 1:10 pm
    Count me in as a big fan of Bavette's as well. Went there for my first time recently and had an amazing time from start to finish. We kicked the evening off with a round of cocktails at the bar and I really enjoyed my negroni. My wife and I were then seated at a large booth which I greatly appreciated as some of the two tops did appear to be a tad close together. Our server was very friendly and I appreciated that she coursed out our appetizers rather than bringing everything at once; I love the sexy, classy vibe at Bavette's so I was pleased that we could enjoy a leisurely experience rather than being rushed (which I initially feared as they were jam packed). Probably the only slight negative on service was our server perhaps had a bit too many guests to take care of and was spread just a bit thin, but she nevertheless did a commendable job.

The food was phenomenal. As so much of the menu is rich and filling I began with raw oysters to have a light start to our feast. Next came the baked goat cheese and then the wedge salad. For entrees my wife and shared an order of the fried chicken as well as the 24-ounce bone in aged prime rib-eye. The chicken and the steak were among the best I have ever consumed. For sides we had the bone marrow with the steak, an order of elotes and the loaded baked potato. Portions were massive, plating attractive and every single thing we ordered was delicious. We were completely stuffed when our server brought us the dessert menus, but the malted whiskey gelato was calling my name and I indulged (Black Dog makes this gelato for them and it was so amazing that when I attended a gelato making class at Black Dog this past weekend I tried to recreate it).

Despite arriving to Bavette's ravenously hungry we had enough leftovers for us each to have a snack and a full meal the next day. For about half the price of Next's steakhouse meal we ate to our hearts' content, ordered exactly what we wanted, had a few drinks, loved the ambiance and enjoyed stellar service. We are coming back with friends in a few weeks so we can explore more of the menu.
    Twitter: @Goof_2
  • Post #30 - February 12th, 2014, 9:15 am
    Post #30 - February 12th, 2014, 9:15 am Post #30 - February 12th, 2014, 9:15 am
    Where they found such flavorful tomatoes in February, I no idea, but I could have licked the plate clean.

It's a wonder what slow-roasting will do! We've made a habit of slow-roasting otherwise meh tomatoes all winter, for sandwiches mostly, and it's been so delicious I can imagine keeping it up through tomato season. (We had the tomato/bacon/watercress salad, too.)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more