Burgers, Burgers

Burgers, Burgers
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 27
  • Post #31 - July 7th, 2004, 5:37 pm
    Post #31 - July 7th, 2004, 5:37 pm Post #31 - July 7th, 2004, 5:37 pm
    Ive really enjoying these burgers:

1. RL Burger - Great meaty burger in clubby atmosphere

2. Gibson's Hamburger - Talk about Beefy! Ground beef from prime steak. Great burger for the price! Includes fries...

3. Tavern on Rush Burger - Close to Gibsons in quality but not grilled as well. Better bun though.

4. Mity Nice Grill Burger- So its a tourist trap - they have great burgers in a nice setting! Great beef - beautiful buns.

5. Mike Ditka's Burger - Good to great big beefy birger altho the toppings are not up to scale (shredded lettuce)...

Honorable mention - Johhny Rockets. Good greasy tasty burger with really fresh sides and condiments.
  • Post #32 - July 8th, 2004, 7:22 pm
    Post #32 - July 8th, 2004, 7:22 pm Post #32 - July 8th, 2004, 7:22 pm
    Being raised in what I considered the golden triangle of hamburgers with Beinlichs to the north, meiers tavern to the east and hackneys to the west of my childhood home i have to declare the golden age of the north shore burger dead gone and over. Hackneys is now an embarrassing shell of its former self. The burgers are way way to lean and over cooked, even if ordered rare. I guess I had fond memories of the black bread from my youth, no longer. The famous onion loaf is now a greasy disgusting mess. you are better off with a blooming onion from the outback steakhouse

Meiers on Lake st in glenview on the wilmette border also used to be fantastic, the subject of a late 2000-2001 profile in gq magazine. Excellent burger and tater tots. No longer

Beinlichs is too depressing to discuss. Used to be the best. sadly no longer
    Ian Alexander
  • Post #33 - July 9th, 2004, 7:26 am
    Post #33 - July 9th, 2004, 7:26 am Post #33 - July 9th, 2004, 7:26 am
    Flip wrote:If I remember correctly the Hamburger Hamlet in Wheaton closed around 2 years ago. The space is now occupied by a Red Robin.

Absolutely correct, sorry for the misinformation (time flies). And your description of Red Robin is also spot on.
    d
    Feeling (south) loopy
  • Post #34 - July 9th, 2004, 8:09 am
    Post #34 - July 9th, 2004, 8:09 am Post #34 - July 9th, 2004, 8:09 am
    Has anybody tried the Kobe Beef Burger at Rockit Bar & Grill (22 W. Hubbard) in River North? Is this just a marketing gimmick since Kobe is the new buzz word in beef, or does it actually make a better burger?
    Theresa Carter, tlc@thelocaltourist.com
    The Local Tourist: Online Guide to Downtown Chicago
    Free weekly events newsletter
    http://www.thelocaltourist.com
  • Post #35 - July 12th, 2004, 2:18 pm
    Post #35 - July 12th, 2004, 2:18 pm Post #35 - July 12th, 2004, 2:18 pm
    Have you ever tried the Saloon Steakhouse on East Chestnut St (downtown off Mich Ave) - they have excellent burgers and WAGYU beef burgers. You can't go wrong there and I agree, CHarlie Beinlich's are great. What about SUperdawg for a cheap burger they are good too!
  • Post #36 - July 12th, 2004, 3:05 pm
    Post #36 - July 12th, 2004, 3:05 pm Post #36 - July 12th, 2004, 3:05 pm
    Superdawg, indeed, a great cheap burger. In that vein, Killer in WickerPark makes a great cheap, late-night burger. Its the old processed, smoky cheddar cheese that really gets me tho, I love that flavor in all its artificial New Jersey Turnpike goodness.
  • Post #37 - July 12th, 2004, 3:50 pm
    Post #37 - July 12th, 2004, 3:50 pm Post #37 - July 12th, 2004, 3:50 pm
    I had a great cheeseburger today oat SRO in Printers Row. Add that one to the list.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #38 - July 12th, 2004, 4:35 pm
    Post #38 - July 12th, 2004, 4:35 pm Post #38 - July 12th, 2004, 4:35 pm
    :?: Would anyone object if I posted a summary of this discussion on my website? A "top burgers in Chicago" page, with LTHForum credited and a link to the forum supplied, of course. There's been such a huge response to the original post I just feel the need to get the info out there! And, it would let people know about LTH.
  • Post #39 - July 12th, 2004, 5:55 pm
    Post #39 - July 12th, 2004, 5:55 pm Post #39 - July 12th, 2004, 5:55 pm
    I don't see why not... all publicity is good publicity!
  • Post #40 - July 12th, 2004, 5:57 pm
    Post #40 - July 12th, 2004, 5:57 pm Post #40 - July 12th, 2004, 5:57 pm
    I concur.
  • Post #41 - July 12th, 2004, 6:30 pm
    Post #41 - July 12th, 2004, 6:30 pm Post #41 - July 12th, 2004, 6:30 pm
    Great! Thanks for the responses. Didn't want to step on any toes : ) I'll get to work on it tonight and I'll make a post when it's up.
  • Post #42 - July 12th, 2004, 10:29 pm
    Post #42 - July 12th, 2004, 10:29 pm Post #42 - July 12th, 2004, 10:29 pm
    Eat! You look so thin. wrote:Brandt's Little Cafe on NW Hwy in Palatine has great burgers, although I haven't eaten there in a few years.

I had a pretty good burger last year at a little downstairs bar on Ohio near Michigan. Don't know the name.

Other faves:
    Hackney's Buffalo burgers
    The Firkin, Libertyville

I just moved up to L'ville and had a bleucheeseburger at Firkin last night, very good pub grub. The broiler guy hit med. rare perfectly, excellent slaw, so-so fries, nice ripe tomatoes. The highlight, however, is the superb staff and their knowledge of and enthusiasm for the wonderful beers they pour. I think I found me a home!
    BTW: I haven't been there in years, but the Athenian Room on Webster off Halsted used to serve a burger with a chunk of feta on top and a side of steak fries drenched with their wine/lemon/oregano sauce that was obscenely delicious! I hope they still do.
    jb
  • Post #43 - July 12th, 2004, 10:40 pm
    Post #43 - July 12th, 2004, 10:40 pm Post #43 - July 12th, 2004, 10:40 pm
    john@thebar wrote: BTW: I haven't been there in years, but the Athenian Room on Webster off Halsted used to serve a burger with a chunk of feta on top and a side of steak fries drenched with their wine/lemon/oregano sauce that was obscenely delicious! I hope they still do.

They still do. The fries are really the stars there, and they are as good as ever.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #44 - July 12th, 2004, 11:39 pm
    Post #44 - July 12th, 2004, 11:39 pm Post #44 - July 12th, 2004, 11:39 pm
    Lately I've been getting my upscale, as opposed to Kevin's Hamburger Heaven/Diner Grill/Two Way Grill type, at Jury's or Smith and Wollensky.

Both cook to order, which in my case means med-rare, and handle my standard burger order of blue cheese with both fried and raw onion perfectly.

Jury's has nightly specials, not sure which night, but one of the specials is $3.95 hamburger night. Last time I was at Jury's on a Sunday, a few weeks ago, they had 2 for 1 burgers.

Jury's burger with extra crisp fries.

Enjoy,
    Gary

Jury's
    4337 N Lincoln Ave
    Chicago, IL 60618
    (773) 935-4099

Smith & Wollensky
    318 N State St
    Chicago, IL 60610
    (312) 670-9900
  • Post #45 - July 12th, 2004, 11:45 pm
    Post #45 - July 12th, 2004, 11:45 pm Post #45 - July 12th, 2004, 11:45 pm
    You can also go to www.restaurant.com and buy a $25 Jury's coupon for $10, which is not too shabby a deal. Even better, a few months ago someone on Chowhound or the lth listserv posted a promo code to buy the coupons for, I think $3, instead of $10. They do this sort of thing periodically.

I'm not as wowed by Jury's burger as others, but I find it perfectly acceptable, and since I stocked up on coupons at three bucks, well, it's a hell of a deal, too--two burgers, three beers for $3 and a generous tip.

Cheers,

Aaron
  • Post #46 - July 12th, 2004, 11:59 pm
    Post #46 - July 12th, 2004, 11:59 pm Post #46 - July 12th, 2004, 11:59 pm
    Aaron Deacon wrote:I'm not as wowed by Jury's burger as others,

Aaron,

If not Jury's, what is your "Wow" Burger?

Enjoy,
    Gary
  • Post #47 - July 13th, 2004, 1:39 am
    Post #47 - July 13th, 2004, 1:39 am Post #47 - July 13th, 2004, 1:39 am
    stevez wrote:I had a great cheeseburger today oat SRO in Printers Row. Add that one to the list.

Stevez:

I'm glad you liked SRO's burger so much. It's a very good place; they keep the menu very simple (if you live right here, perhaps a wee bit too simple) and produce stuff of consistently good to very good quality.

A
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    - aus dem Tagebuch E.T.A. Hoffmanns, 6. Januar 1804.
    ________
    Na sir is na seachain an cath.
  • Post #48 - July 13th, 2004, 1:54 am
    Post #48 - July 13th, 2004, 1:54 am Post #48 - July 13th, 2004, 1:54 am
    ab wrote:... I love that flavor in all its artificial New Jersey Turnpike goodness.

Dicksond would be disappointed if I did not take this opportunity to engage someone concerning the Garden state, so I am compelled by civic duty no less than by my own curiosity: Could you expand upon your comment? I'm not sure I know what you mean...

A

P.S. Dicksond: Thank you for liberating me utterly from any shyness or scruples about mentioning my home state. I shall endeavour to find cause to mention that place in each and every post I make henceforth.
    :twisted: :roll: :wink:
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    ________
  • Post #49 - July 13th, 2004, 8:04 am
    Post #49 - July 13th, 2004, 8:04 am Post #49 - July 13th, 2004, 8:04 am
    G Wiv wrote:Aaron,

If not Jury's, what is your "Wow" Burger?

Good question. Three burgers (not of the 30s style) I prefer to Jury's are Boston Blackie's, Smith & Wollensky, and Goose Island Brewpub's Stilton Burger.

The first time I had a Jury's burger, it was really pretty bad. I had another one at some street festival, which I normally would give little weight, but it was pretty much the same as the one I got at the restaurant, so I was pretty much done with Jury's.

But the general esteem in which the place is held, and the enthusiastic recommendation of joel on Chowhound (with an assist from the opportunity for a three-dollar meal) wooed me back.

I've now been a couple times since, and I find myself enjoying the burger more each time, my general distrust of previous experience--in light of others' high opinion of said burger--causing me to eschew other menu items.

But while the burger itself has certainly been better prepared than the first pale and dry specimen I was offered, I just enjoy the place so much. Very pleasant white tablecloth bar and grill, neighborhood spot that's a nice 20-minute walk on a warm summer evening, easily accomodates a couple boys from the three-and-under set--all very attractive. If this keeps up, a year from now, I'll probably be touting Jury's as the best damn burger in the city.

The experience recalls Calvin Trillin's famous dictum about burgers and one's hometown. I think Jury's comfort level makes their burger taste better, and I could hardly argue with a homegrown Jury's fan.

Cheers,

Aaron
  • Post #50 - July 13th, 2004, 8:53 am
    Post #50 - July 13th, 2004, 8:53 am Post #50 - July 13th, 2004, 8:53 am
    Antonius wrote:Stevez:

I'm glad you liked SRO's burger so much. It's a very good place; they keep the menu very simple (if you live right here, perhaps a wee bit too simple) and produce stuff of consistently good to very good quality.

A

Antonius,

I also like their turkey burger but I was wondering if you have ever tried the Falafel? It seems an odd menu item for a place that is so unashamedly "regular guy Chicago" orientated.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #51 - July 13th, 2004, 9:30 am
    Post #51 - July 13th, 2004, 9:30 am Post #51 - July 13th, 2004, 9:30 am
    Last Friday I had lunch at Keefer's. As tempting as the day special of roasted cod looked (and the forkful I had from a companion's plate confirmed it was excellent) I finally ordered a burger as I had been meaning to do for so long. I ordered the cheddar cheese burger and another companion ordered the blue cheese. Mine didn't arrive quite to the medium rare doneness I had ordered, more medium, but it was still very good. I didn't have any previous experience with cabot cheddar and found it too subtle for a burger; in the future I would opt for the blue cheese which my dining partner found to be very good. Even absent the cheese, though, these were substantial burgers of high quality beef that have me hungering for one as I write this. Next time I would probably order it rare.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #52 - July 13th, 2004, 10:24 am
    Post #52 - July 13th, 2004, 10:24 am Post #52 - July 13th, 2004, 10:24 am
    Antonius wrote:
    ab wrote:... I love that flavor in all its artificial New Jersey Turnpike goodness

Dicksond would be disappointed if I did not take this opportunity to engage someone concerning the Garden state, so I am compelled by civic duty no less than by my own curiosity: Could you expand upon your comment? I'm not sure I know what you mean...

Not meant as a pejorative towards the great state of New Jersey! I meant to reference the testing and production of artificial flavorings that take place mainly in New Jersey, recently profiled in E.Schlosser's "Fast Food Nation" book. I probably should have been more clear on that...
  • Post #53 - July 13th, 2004, 10:50 am
    Post #53 - July 13th, 2004, 10:50 am Post #53 - July 13th, 2004, 10:50 am
    Notes on SRO in Printer's Row: Good Burgers Plus

stevez wrote:I also like their turkey burger but I was wondering if you have ever tried the Falafel? It seems an odd menu item for a place that is so unashamedly "regular guy Chicago" orientated.

Steve:

I agree that the turkey burger is a nice, lighter offering. And I think one can say the same about their falafel sandwiches, on whole wheat pita. The chicken breast sandwiches and turkey club are good as well. I like the grilled tuna sandwich too but once in a while have gotten a clunker. The fries aren't bad either.

The guys who run SRO are two brothers of Greek ancestry and so there are little touches of Greek and more generally eastern Mediterranean cooking that show up now and again and here and there, especially in specials (they regularly offer a Greek salad). One thing I wish they would do that wouldn't represent too much of a stretch of their ingredients and cooking processes: add some kabobs or souvlaki sandwiches and platters.

As I said, they keep the menu limited and just churn out reliably good to very good food. Even their Italian beef is pretty good -- surely not able to rival the Chicagoland Giants of Beef but again, reliably pretty good* and -- by no means an unimportant factor -- available here, in Printer's Row, which is rather limited in food options.

The Chicago sports memorabilia on the walls is also impressive and fun to peruse while one eats or waits for a take-out order.

A

* I readily admit to being little more than a neophyte with regard to Chicago's Italian beef, so you can take my opinion here cum grano salis and perhaps a grind of black pepper too.
    ________
  • Post #54 - July 13th, 2004, 10:54 am
    Post #54 - July 13th, 2004, 10:54 am Post #54 - July 13th, 2004, 10:54 am
    ab wrote:Not meant as a pejorative towards the great state of New Jersey! I meant to reference the testing and production of artificial flavorings that take place mainly in New Jersey, recently profiled in E.Schlosser's "Fast Food Nation" book. I probably should have been more clear on that...

No, I didn't take it that way; I was just perplexed. Thanks for the further info -- I was unaware of NJ's role in Satanic cuisine.... I guess the place is going downhill since I left...

:lol:

A
  • Post #55 - July 13th, 2004, 10:56 am
    Post #55 - July 13th, 2004, 10:56 am Post #55 - July 13th, 2004, 10:56 am
    SRO sounds like an interesting lunch option for me. Could someone please post an address?
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #56 - July 13th, 2004, 11:19 am
    Post #56 - July 13th, 2004, 11:19 am Post #56 - July 13th, 2004, 11:19 am
    Kman wrote:SRO sounds like an interesting lunch option for me. Could someone please post an address?

Here's the address:

610 South Dearborn
    Chicago, 60605

tel: 312-360-1776 (very patriotic number)

It's mid block, west side of the street on Dearborn just below Harrison.

A
    ________
  • Post #57 - July 13th, 2004, 11:32 am
    Post #57 - July 13th, 2004, 11:32 am Post #57 - July 13th, 2004, 11:32 am
    Aaron Deacon wrote: Three burgers (not of the 30s style) I prefer to Jury's are Boston Blackie's, Smith & Wollensky, and Goose Island Brewpub's Stilton Burger.

But while the burger itself has certainly been better prepared than the first pale and dry specimen I was offered, I just enjoy the place so much. Very pleasant white tablecloth bar and grill, neighborhood spot

I agree with you--Jury's is a solid to very good neighborhood burger, but certainly not in the "wow" category, although the atmosphere definitely enhances the dining experience there. At any rate, Jury's burger is better than Moody's or Pete Miller's (their burger used to be great, but has steadily declined in the past two years, in my estimation), but not up there with a Smith&Wollensky or a Goose Island (I have not had Boston Blackie's burger).

Further, I would say Jury's doesn't even offer the best burger in the area, as Square Kitchen's Angus Burger, served with thick cut bacon, aged cheddar and balsamic-marinated red onions is a more satisfying creation, though it must be ordered rare to avoid overcooking. This is really the only dish, by the way, that I have liked at Square Kitchen. I haven't had much luck with their pasta dishes, salads or chicken sandwiches, which suffer from cloying sauces and odd flavor combinations. This place definitely uses fairly high end ingredients, but its execution is lacking. A second neighborhood spot that may surpass Jury's is the Grafton, whose burger has received endorsements here and elsewhere. Is there a general consensus on this burger? Obviously, neither the Grafton nor Square Kitchen can compare to the atmosphere at Jury's.
  • Post #58 - July 13th, 2004, 3:24 pm
    Post #58 - July 13th, 2004, 3:24 pm Post #58 - July 13th, 2004, 3:24 pm
    Kenny from Rogers Park wrote:
    Further, I would say Jury's doesn't even offer the best burger in the area, as Square Kitchen's Angus Burger, served with thick cut bacon, aged cheddar and balsamic-marinated red onions is a more satisfying creation, though it must be ordered rare to avoid overcooking. This is really the only dish, by the way, that I have liked at Square Kitchen. I haven't had much luck with their pasta dishes, salads or chicken sandwiches, which suffer from cloying sauces and odd flavor combinations. This place definitely uses fairly high end ingredients, but its execution is lacking. A second neighborhood spot that may surpass Jury's is the Grafton, whose burger has received endorsements here and elsewhere. Is there a general consensus on this burger? Obviously, neither the Grafton nor Square Kitchen can compare to the atmosphere at Jury's.

Of the Lincoln Square burgers you have mentioned here, my vote would go to The Grafton hands down.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #59 - July 13th, 2004, 4:10 pm
    Post #59 - July 13th, 2004, 4:10 pm Post #59 - July 13th, 2004, 4:10 pm
    I'll have to try the Grafton. I did try the Square Kitchen burger on Kenny's recommendation, but I don't believe I ordered it rare, and it didn't do much for me. Good enough, but no better.

Have you tried the burger at the Rockwell Neighborhood Bar and Grill yet, at the corner of Rockwell and Leland? This place was talked up as a bit of a Tex-Mex place in Morsels a couple weeks back, and so we former Texans excitedly mosied on over one evening. It's not Tex-Mex, and the chicken flauta appetizer, tortilla soup, and grilled chicken burrito (pretty much all the Tex-Mex-y things on the menu) were all enhh... Plus they charge like three bucks for chips (with seasoned salt!) and a pretty poor excuse for salsa. Whatever.

But I talked with the female half of the owner-couple, a very pleasant woman, and she said they had a handful of restaurants in Dallas (Uptown Bar & Grill, Fat Ted's, and some more recent Tex-Mex place I can't recall) one of which (Uptown) was cited for best burger in Dallas by someone or other. I looked at www.guidelive.com (the Morning News' metromix) when I got home and couldn't verify any awards, but the burgers at both bars were viewed pretty favorably (the Tex-Mex place not so much). I'll probably try it again, as its convenient and cheap and neighborhood-y, but if anyone tries the burger in the meantime, I'd love to hear about it.
  • Post #60 - July 18th, 2004, 9:00 am
    Post #60 - July 18th, 2004, 9:00 am Post #60 - July 18th, 2004, 9:00 am
    When I first moved to Chicago nearly 20 years ago, we lived just down the street from Gulliver's and were regular patrons. The food was good and reasonably priced, the decor was fascinating and, best of all, they were open really late. In those days they had a 4 a.m. license, and kept the kitchen open till then.

Then we moved out of the neighborhood, and they started closing earlier (1 a.m.), but everything else still seems true. It's a fun place with a menu almost as eclectic as its decor.

MODERATORS' NOTE: The post that this was in reply to seems to have been eaten by a software glitch. Investigation is underway. --Mike G
    Last edited by LAZ on July 22nd, 2004, 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more